[Fanon] The Plan

Got Metroid fanart, fanfiction, music, or any other creative endeavor you want to share? This is the place!
Redwing

Super Metroid

[Fanon] The Plan

Postby Redwing » 10.17.09 10:06pm

The following logs are excerpted from the History of The Plan and are highly classified. Under no circumstances should these logs, or their content, be revealed to any other sentient species outside of the Chozo. To appeal this edict, seek an audience with Mother Brain.

Master Royle, year 2025 AH
The Plan
Mother Brain is complete. Centuries of research and labor, followed by years of preparation and growth, have found her finally ready to function. At first, she did not speak. We thought something might have gone wrong. Sensors showed her deep in thought, processing all of the information we have gathered for millennia. All of our sensory probes were open to her, ship logs were at her leisure; everything we have gathered in these two thousand cycles of hyperspatial travel. The first words Mother Brain spoke were startling.
"The universe is dying," she said, "and within three thousand Zebes cycles it will be chaos."
We could say nothing.
"But," her single eye opened, "I have a plan."

Master Geck, year 20 AP
The Candidates
Mother Brain has been working tirelessly with our researchers to monitor the candidates for the Plan. Perhaps 'working with' is a poor choice of words; she is a priceless leader and grants insight into things we could not have comprehended.
At the moment, several sentient species are under watch. The most notable right now are the Vhozon, Luminoth, Ylla, and Human. Some are progressing more quickly than others, but Mother Brain extrapolated their growth to suggest that all will reach maturity near the same time, right as the conditions are optimal. At the moment, I see only barbarism in all, but I must trust her judgment.

Master of Human Research: Vyle. Year 500 AP
Complications
I am quite satisfied with the development of the Humans. If things continue as they are, I am quite confident that they might win the candidacy. They are warlike and coarse, but also fiercely creative and individualistic in ways I have never seen displayed by other candidate races. Science, Technology, Religion, Culture, and Politics are all progressing as Mother Brain had hoped, and the humans are currently becoming adept with gunpowder. The physical characteristics of the humans might become a problem, though. At the moment, they possess a small amount of innate telepathy, but the sense goes un-nurtured and somehow disappears almost entirely by late childhood, when verbal language is mastered. Some scholars in my department suggest that this correlation might indeed be causation, but I am not quick to jump aboard such theories. If the human brain were capable of doing the things they imply, though, they would almost certainly win the candidacy. Regardless, Mother Brain says it is possible to alter their brains to open the telepathic link.
Another problem is longevity. The candidate race should have a fairly decent lifespan under good conditions; at least a century of Earth-cycles--and without much physical loss. Humans seem to last 70 years or less, although Mother Brain points out that conditions are far less than ideal on their young planet. When we are cleared for our first abduction of a sample, I hope we will find some way around this. That will be a while after I shall step down as Master of Human Research, though.

President of Human Research: Checin. Year 800 AP
Advancement
Analysis of the first human specimen was an amazing success. I believe Mother Brain may have even been surprised. The humans have a most bizarre and amazing biological system. For one, their brains have an incredible amount of plasticity. If an area of the brain is damaged, its functions can be somewhat transferred to other areas. If some part goes unused, it is reallocated to a different task. It is almost unheard of in all of our species research. These findings help to prove the dominant theory that human telepathy is innate at birth, but failure of human society to recognize its existence causes it to be replaced-- at the biological level-- by verbal language functions.
We have also learned, in part, the cause of their short lifespan. Human cells seem to reproduce by copying internal DNA from parent cell to child cell. If an inaccurate copy of DNA is stored in a parent cell, it is copied to new cells, and the body begins to deteriorate. They would live much longer, I believe, if they had a master copy to check against like many other races, including Chozo. However, this drawback also has a positive side-- without a single master DNA structure (or cluster thereof), the humans are much less vulnerable to diseases like those that have wiped out many Ylla and Bryyonians. They are vulnerable to diseases which mutate cell DNA, but most of these can be cured by Mother Brain.
All in all, I am very optimistic about the human's candidacy. They are experimenting with orbital travel now, and their understanding of technology is exciting.

President of Humanities: Byla. Yr. 1200 AP
<Log Name Here>
I won't say I wasn't happy to hear that the Vhozon and Luminoth have lost candidacy. Supposedly, Mother Brain has determined that their religious influence is too deep-rooted and has stifled their growth. I mean, it's never good to lose options, but the humans are my species, and I'm hoping they'll win. Besides, within a few centuries they'll both be welcomed into the Chozo society of advanced sentient beings, and we'll give them all the technology they would have taken millennia to develop on their own. So things work out in the end.
But back to the humans. They were scaring me with their threats of total nuclear war, but thankfully the politics worked out as Mother Brain predicted and the threat is averted. For now, at least. They're incredibly hostile sometimes, in more subtle ways every century, but all the same. Many other species have already united planetwide, but the humans can't even breach language borders yet. Oh well, Mother Brain says this will not hinder them much. I'm tempted to believe it after I saw their first steps towards hyperspatial travel. In some ways, they are barbarians; in others, geniuses.

Advocate for Humanity, Dors. 2000 AP
Selection
The time has finally come. Nothing has excited me more than the next few decades. First, we select a candidate to continue with the plan-- and no candidate has been more widely accepted for the honor as my humans. Next, Mother Brain begins working the minute details to find the Ultimate Warrior. Meanwhile, she has already been making preparations. Friendly species have been given Chozo technology which will be compatible with the Warrior's powersuit, Space Pirate threats have been tracked and kept at bay, and Chozo DNA supplements have been prepared to augment each species. The next few decades will be exciting times indeed; the climax of a plan millennia in the making. I can only hope I live to see the end.

Protector of the Plan, Dryn. 2021 AP
Preparations
Ever since the humans were selected, the work has been tireless. Mother Brain has selected their first colonial settlement to be the setting of our abduction, and she has manipulated Space Pirate politics and plans to fit. The Space Pirates were certainly not easy to influence, especially without alerting Ridley of any subversion. They will be approaching planet K-2L for fuel supplies, which we have conveniently and subtly diminished throughout their ranks. Mother has also selected a human couple to bear the Ultimate Warrior, which she has determined should be female-- for flexibility in performing the maru mari technique especially. Steps have been taken to adjust the mother's ovulation cycle as well as the genetics of the gametes of both parents so that all variables will be met. We must not let anything go wrong here. If the young Warrior is unborn or has a defect and the Pirates raid K-2L as planned, then the moment has passed and everything is lost. It is for that reason that I have not slept in far too long.

First Sergeant Tyce, 2023 AP
Mission Success
Message to Zebes: the child is in our custody. Her name is Samus.

Lazarius

Super Metroid

Re: [Fanon] The Plan

Postby Lazarius » 10.17.09 10:22pm

Woah, nice one. The idea of a computer that knows every detail of everything, and so can perfectly understand or alter the future is one I like.

Also, it's always nice to read about humans being awesome. :awesome:

Tianna

Omega Metroid

Postby Tianna » 10.18.09 1:27am

That is both really cool, and a little frightening.

Well done. :)

Sylux

Anonymous

Postby Sylux » 10.18.09 12:17pm

This is one of the best fanfics I've ever read. VERY creative take on the chozo and Mother Brain without deviating far from their description in canon.

I was amused by the suggestion that the chozo were responsible for the UFO abductions in the twentieth century, and...I guess "nicely disturbed" would be the phrase to describe my thoughts on them having masterminded the K2L massacre. The only problem is that that seems like an awful lot of trouble, and pretty risky (as it would have been easy to accidentally get Samus killed in the attack); wouldn't it be easier just to kidnap her discreetly? Also, why exactly did Mother Brain think they needed a single, omnipotent warrior in a thousand years' time?

I really liked the attention to scientific and historical detail; the fact that Dryn custom-made the power suit to fit a human wearer was damned clever.

9.5/10.

Redwing

Super Metroid

Postby Redwing » 10.18.09 12:32pm

[unofficial]Epilogue (not exactly the best writing in the world, may be revisited later).
[spoiler]An excerpt from Terrorist or Tragic Hero? The Recovered Logs of Mother Brain.

Unit2, Mother Brain. Z. Cycle 2037 AP
Betrayal
They have forgotten me. Now that my plan is near completion, I am worthless to them. I am just another tool to be used, but that stupid little Hatchling, no, she is the savior. I expected more.
This plan now sickens me. How they honor her and ignore me! Then I will make another plan. After observation of the Pirate 'threat' I have found some hope for their development as a ruling race. If I assist them, they will worship me, and then I may use them to unite the universe myself.
These foolish Chozo have lost their favor. I have sabotaged their efforts and programmed weaknesses into the Hatchling's suit. They have abandoned me, but I will forge a unified galaxy with or without them.[/spoiler]
Edit: Ninja'ed. Thank you Sylux. I would give a longer response but I'm using my Zune right now and this post has taken long enough as-is...
Last edited by Redwing on 10.18.09 2:47pm, edited 2 times in total.

Emperor Ing

Nightmare

Postby Emperor Ing » 10.18.09 1:17pm

I'm gunna say Red, that the epilogue really doesn't mesh all that well with the rest of the story. It kinda makes MB sound like a whiny teenager instead of a near-omnipotent super-computer. Worse off it really doesn't follow that the Chozo abandon MB from the earlier parts of the story, where they still consult her as well.

Mother Brain is, by virtue of being a super-computer, a bit more detached, in my eyes. Not exactly prone to exclamation marks and use the word 'stupid'.
must be some sorta side effect of the hatchling or maybe she should stop going down on Miyamoto.

Redwing

Super Metroid

Postby Redwing » 10.18.09 1:33pm

Emperor Ing wrote:I'm gunna say Red, that the epilogue really doesn't mesh all that well with the rest of the story. It kinda makes MB sound like a whiny teenager instead of a near-omnipotent super-computer. Worse off it really doesn't follow that the Chozo abandon MB from the earlier parts of the story, where they still consult her as well.

Mother Brain is, by virtue of being a super-computer, a bit more detached, in my eyes. Not exactly prone to exclamation marks and use the word 'stupid'.

Good points, it was essentially an afterthought, and not the best writing of mine. I may pull it. I still like the idea of some sort of motivation for MB joining the Pirates, though; it all seems rather shoddily explained in the canon.

Also, now that I'm at a computer, I can answer a few of Sylux' points--

Why have the Pirates raid K-2L? Naturally, once Samus left the care of the Chozo, she would go back to her own kind. However, under normal circumstances, humanity would have not yet made contact with Pirate forces, and her role as a policewoman/ bounty hunter in the Federation would be limited to less important conflicts. The Pirates, in the end, are the strongest force threatening to cause chaos in the galaxy, and humanity needs to be involved in fighting them. The raid of K-2L served not only as a distraction for the abduction of Samus (who was protected by unseen Chozo guardians and more subtle telepathic influences), but also as an opportunity to set the humans as a dedicated enemy of the Pirates.

As to why a single warrior was needed, well, that was mainly for the purposes of making the story fit with the games. After all, Samus is the "protector of the galaxy", so evidently the Chozo think that is an appropriate role to be filled by only one person. Although, an interesting alternate theory might be that the Zebes habitat was only one of many Chozo establishments, all of which chose their own warrior for different sections of the galaxy.

Also, I don't believe the powersuit was mentioned in Dryn's log, but it is implied that a new suit was created with a female human wearer in mind.

Antiquity

Zeta Metroid

Postby Antiquity » 12.19.09 11:20pm

Yes, nice, although I agree that some of the questions (why the coincidental space pirate raid on K-2L shortly before Samus' abduction) remains of interest. Anyhow, very nice fic!

Redwing

Super Metroid

Postby Redwing » 12.20.09 12:03am

Antiquity wrote:Yes, nice, although I agree that some of the questions (why the coincidental space pirate raid on K-2L shortly before Samus' abduction) remains of interest. Anyhow, very nice fic!

It wasn't coincidental. It was orchestrated through Mother Brain's manipulation. As to why, that's a little trickier. Essentially, it gives Samus a built-in motive to go along with the Chozo's Plan, that is, vengeance against the Pirates. It also fosters her positive bias towards the Chozo, because they 'saved her'. Furthermore, it pushes Humanity into a conflict with the Pirates, allowing her to return to her own kind later in life and lead her race in the destruction of the Pirates. Humanity, despite its impotence in the face of Samus' alien technology, still plays an important role in the war. The Chozo couldn't fit them all with powersuits and other advanced technology, because it was identified that their lust for power might cause them to break from the plan's goals and pursue their own domination strategies. Interestingly, the Luminoth did not have this psychological trait, which nearly won them the candidacy, had it not been for the negative traits referenced in the logs.

Antiquity

Zeta Metroid

Postby Antiquity » 12.20.09 1:06am

The only problem with the Luminoth is that MP2 implies that Luminoth knowledge and technology rivals that of the Chozo, and thus, presumably, so does their age.

Redwing

Super Metroid

Postby Redwing » 12.20.09 10:31pm

Antiquity wrote:The only problem with the Luminoth is that MP2 implies that Luminoth knowledge and technology rivals that of the Chozo, and thus, presumably, so does their age.

Not necessarily. Again, in the logs, I say that the Luminoth were welcomed into the Chozo's own partnership of races, and thus given access to their technology. The Luminoth quickly were able to adopt this technology into their own culture and benefit greatly from their inclusion into the Chozo's union.

Antiquity

Zeta Metroid

Postby Antiquity » 12.22.09 12:29am

Potentially, although I get the feeling that the Luminoth have been spacefaring and semi-magical for a very long time...

sockmonkey

Zeta Metroid

Postby sockmonkey » 01.01.10 12:19am

Yeah letting the colony be wiped out makes sense if they were pulling a batman to create the proper mindset in Samus. It also provides the perfect cover for taking her. The reasons for MB turning seemed a bit contrived though. I think having her object to the overall plan of using a human would make more sense. Maybe she could think that the pirates would make more effective tools in carrying out the ultimate plan and thus would want to make them the dominant species.

Redwing

Super Metroid

Postby Redwing » 01.01.10 11:45am

Antiquity wrote:Potentially, although I get the feeling that the Luminoth have been spacefaring and semi-magical for a very long time...

I gave them about a millennium, I think that's pretty decent.
sockmonkey wrote:Yeah letting the colony be wiped out makes sense if they were pulling a batman to create the proper mindset in Samus. It also provides the perfect cover for taking her. The reasons for MB turning seemed a bit contrived though. I think having her object to the overall plan of using a human would make more sense. Maybe she could think that the pirates would make more effective tools in carrying out the ultimate plan and thus would want to make them the dominant species.

Yeah, that's why I kind of half-deleted that log. It's not up to par.

Return to “%s” Fan Creations