TV show

For discussing ideas and thoughts on the Metroid franchise in general.
RoyboyX

Omega Metroid

TV show

Postby RoyboyX » 09.18.11 9:51pm

Let me express one of my common frustrations with the Metroid series. Not only was Sakamoto too sensitive to make Metroid games on the GBC, VB or N64, but, um...

Mario had, hell, 300 shows before they finally stopped, DK had a show too (though the characters were horrible), Zelda had a short show that people hate nowadays for the same reason as MOM, Pokemon also has 300 shows (seriously. Make Ash a master already! Jesus damnit.), Kirby has a show as well, and, hell, so do Fire Emblem and F-Zero. But guess whose series has never had a show?

Hm? Take a good guess...

Could it be... :samus:

Could it be... :zss:

Seriously. Is Sakmoto worried his daughter will be made into an emotionless, cold, volatile Solid Snake without the need for contant stealth? Discuss and maybe in the future people will rectify this issue by making an anime or show that is NOT JAPAN ONLY (they don't even LIKE Metroid!), and does NOT feature Master Chief! Maybe just some non-canonical events taking place after Super a'la TSSC.

Infinity's End

MDB Staff - Designer

Re: TV show

Postby Infinity's End » 09.19.11 10:14am

why isn't this in Gen. Metroid? Get it together, man.
ImageVisit our DA Gallery! A LOT of unique artworks and still growing!
A piece of concept art is not a legally binding contract.

RoyboyX

Omega Metroid

Postby RoyboyX » 09.19.11 4:01pm

...I thought I put it there?

LesserChozo

Postby LesserChozo » 09.19.11 5:51pm

There was never a Metroid television series probably for the very reason people bitch so much about M:OM. "That's not how I imagined Samus would be. This franchise is dead to me now." >_<X
Don't be pushed by your problems. Be led by your dreams.

Dark Echoes

Alpha Metroid

Postby Dark Echoes » 09.19.11 5:59pm

VB or N64
The Virtual Boy wasn't successful at all.

There was a Metroid 64 in the works, but they didn't have an idea for the game.
:mb_power: :mb_varia: :mb_gravity: :mb_phazon:
Join the IRC channel!:
irc://irc.esper.net/mdb

RoyboyX

Omega Metroid

Postby RoyboyX » 09.19.11 7:44pm

Metroids cloned. Infest planet. Samus goes to stop them. "Yeah, I couldn't figure out how Samus would move around on an N64 controller." It took them eight years to make a new damn game and it's all because Sakamoto had to rip off the next Alien movie. He wasn't sure whether there would be one, and it caught him off guard, causing him to take an additional 5 or so years to make Fusion.

okey

Metroid Queen

Postby okey » 09.19.11 8:17pm

There was never a Metroid television series probably for the very reason people bitch so much about M:OM. "That's not how I imagined Samus would be. This franchise is dead to me now." >_<X
I thought people bitched about Other M because all of it's ideas are executed poorly. It actually would have been really cool if Samus acted nothing like how people were expecting, if it were pulled off well.

Zeroº

Ridley

Postby Zeroº » 09.19.11 10:46pm

Captain N: The Game Master. Samus made frequent appearances in the the comic, apparently. ...As the main guy's occasional love interest... And while Mother Brain was a frequent villain in the cartoon series, Samus sadly never made an appearance. Here's why:
Samus Aran, who never appeared in the cartoon, was a frequenter of the stories who falls in love with Kevin, and becomes Lana's rival for his affections. When asked by a fan why Samus did not appear in the television series, Jeffrey Scott said, "Never heard of her. That could be why." An article at 1UP.COM describes Samus as "rambunctious, reckless, and gets into pissing contests with Lana over Kevin's affections, which makes for some of the most entertaining situations in the series". The reviewer added "Not to say that the deadly quiet, contemplative Samus who fights for truth and justice in the more recent Metroid games isn't awesome, but there's something compelling about a Samus who's greedy and conniving – and is proud to admit it."
Blame ignorance for our heroine not appearing in the show. :/ But the comic version of her sounds fun.

Now she just needs to make it to TV and/or the movies for reals.
ImageImage
X-Ray Scope Acquired!

Chris

Kraid

Postby Chris » 09.20.11 3:12am

All Nintendo shows and movies sucked hard, you're not missing anything by not having a Metroid show, see it as a blessing.

Also it's pretty sad that people are still bashing Sakamoto for everything and anything these days remotely Metroid related, grow up...

LesserChozo

Postby LesserChozo » 09.20.11 7:17am

Captain N: The Game Master. Samus made frequent appearances in the the comic, apparently. ...As the main guy's occasional love interest... And while Mother Brain was a frequent villain in the cartoon series, Samus sadly never made an appearance. Here's why:
Samus Aran, who never appeared in the cartoon, was a frequenter of the stories who falls in love with Kevin, and becomes Lana's rival for his affections. When asked by a fan why Samus did not appear in the television series, Jeffrey Scott said, "Never heard of her. That could be why." An article at 1UP.COM describes Samus as "rambunctious, reckless, and gets into pissing contests with Lana over Kevin's affections, which makes for some of the most entertaining situations in the series". The reviewer added "Not to say that the deadly quiet, contemplative Samus who fights for truth and justice in the more recent Metroid games isn't awesome, but there's something compelling about a Samus who's greedy and conniving – and is proud to admit it."
Blame ignorance for our heroine not appearing in the show. :/ But the comic version of her sounds fun.

Now she just needs to make it to TV and/or the movies for reals.
I, personally, would have been pissed if Samus was in the cartoon and in love with Kevin. The guy is kind of a douche. I'm glad I never followed the comics. :/

RoyboyX

Omega Metroid

Postby RoyboyX » 09.20.11 3:41pm

I am NOT a basher of Sakamoto. I am citing the reasons why a TV show was never released.

James Pierce

MDB Staff - Editor

Postby James Pierce » 09.20.11 5:55pm

Outside of the 80s cartoons released in America, all the other series were made by Japanese studios for a Japanese audience. Shows like Kirby, Pokemon, and Animal Crossing make complete sense because these series are very popular in Japan and there is a ready audience for them. Metroid on the other hand is a series that is relatively unpopular in Japan, so it wouldn't make sense to order a series for Metroid.

FacelessGriffin

Zeta Metroid

Postby FacelessGriffin » 09.21.11 11:25am

The only way they can make this work is turn it into a tokusatsu show and have Koichi Sakamoto direct and Kenichi Muraeda as the head writer and then have everything designed by Keita Amemiya.

And give Samus a motorcycle.

Because godamned it, watch the way Samus activates her Power Suit and tell me it doesn't resemble something out of Kamen Rider:

I thought people bitched about Other M because all of it's ideas are executed poorly. It actually would have been really cool if Samus acted nothing like how people were expecting, if it were pulled off well.
No, people will still complain.

Varia

Gamma Metroid

Postby Varia » 09.24.11 3:15am

I'm not at all surprised nor disappointed that Metroid didn't have an television show. As somebody stated before- it wasn't right for the Japanese viewing audience. Plus with Samus having more 'screen-time' as it were, she becomes more known and we understand her better. Not that's a bad thing but I like Samus to be more alluring and mysterious. :cool:

Hell-- If you really want that animated Metroid fix, you can always watch Captain N: The Game Master and see the horribly crafted Mother Brain.
That good for you?

Or better yet go back and watch the Japanese Metroid II commercial...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTEn14TsK0s

...That shit is amazing! <3
ImageImageImageImage

LesserChozo

Postby LesserChozo » 09.24.11 7:03am

the horribly crafted Mother Brain.
That good for you?
I LOVE her! <3

Return to “%s” General Metroid Discussion