Internet Debates. How far are you willing to read?

Talk about anything regarding non-gaming related topics: films, books, music, pop culture, whatever!
Remnants

Metroid Queen

Internet Debates. How far are you willing to read?

Postby Remnants » 04.01.15 9:16pm

It's the internet, people have opinions, sometimes very strong opinions. Sometimes, people with clashing opinions meet and love happens they start debating. Or more precisely, play the game of "who's right." As they clash, they try to justify their self-image argument with additional points and that is where the magic happens. What we end up with is this explosion of information on both sides with which we as spectators can enlighten ourselves and leave with a better understanding of how the world works.

OK, are you done laughing? Take a deep breath. That's it.

So, when you come across a debate on the internet whether it be in a comment section (video, blog, article, whatever) or on a forums and see two users go toe-to-toe, repeatedly replying to one another to give some kind of counterargument, how far in are you willing to read? I know that for youtube, I rarely tend to read replies to comments. On forums, it really depends. I may decide to follow it if I've taken a side and that has to be decided from the outset. Maybe it's a user I respect or maybe it's someone who has such bothersome opinions that I want to see that person getting thrashed. There's also that thing where the debate starts to get too specific and narrow because they start to focus more on each other rather than the topic itself. That's why I'd usually just scroll down and see what another user has to say.

Which really does make me wonder why I should even bother partaking in debates if I'm more likely to just scroll down if I see one myself.

Apothem

Re: Internet Debates. How far are you willing to read?

Postby Apothem » 04.02.15 12:10am

It all depends. I don't tend to read into things that disinterest me, I won't suffer terrible grammar, and I don't abide overly aggressive attitudes. That precludes me from most internet "debates" as it is. I'll make an exception if one or more sides in the argument are either articulate or entertaining enough to compensate for their opinionated rival, but that's a rather rare occurrence. Otherwise, I'll read into a debate until I can ascertain the participants stance on the issues at hand, and if I'm not so inclined to voice my own opinion - to which I'm usually not due to a chronic case of apathy - then I leave things as they are and move on. I usually have better things to do with my time than read over petty squabbles on the internet.

Zynux

Super Metroid

Postby Zynux » 04.02.15 4:11pm

Over the years I've gotten lazy with arguments. I don't argue nearly as much as I would like nor take the time to write out long-winded responses anymore.

Arguments that I have little interest or knowledge I impartially pass over.

I jump into arguments to devil's advocate or to give a more neutral voice in other forums and comments.

Youtube comments I usually don't bother correcting but there are rare occurrences.

Those that use ad hominems and insults to get their points across are my favorite ones: they are really easy to tear down in an argument and to make them look silly. If I feel both parties are being excessively rude, then I will jump in to try to steer the debate into a more productive state.

But over all, I'm disappointed. I used to get really get involved reading others Tl;DR and make Tl;DR posts myself but I just don't care enough anymore.
"Cut! There are no second chances for actors that fall to the abyss. Await your second casting in the darkness forever." - The Night of Wallachia

Ridley prepping his body for Other M

Apothem

HYRUL3

Dark Samus

Postby HYRUL3 » 04.06.15 7:34pm

I used to actively get involved in internet debates. Then I kind of dropped offline for a while, reveled in a few life experiences, and now realize I have much better things to do with my time than try to prove myself to someone I'll likely never physically cross paths with.

Now, I know what my opinion on most subjects are, decide I don't need to preach, and just actively ignore most comments sections on websites.

It's a great, stress free way to live.
"I am tired of being under the weight of greedy men who don't believe in anything."

Remnants

Metroid Queen

Postby Remnants » 07.21.15 1:20am

Something I noticed with a lot of debate topics. By their nature, it's about seeing a topic from different sides. What you'd hope is that different people would shed light on a subject from different angles and find answers and points that make sense. Is a fashion... it's about crowd-sourcing information. Right?

Here's a different suggestion:

Do.
Your own.
Research.

Just do your own research on a topic. If you already have an idea of what sources are reliable and what aren't then why make a thread on it? Can't you just dig into your trusty sources and find out for yourself?

On the other hand, we might be discussing something totally subjective that is simply a matter of personal preference and nothing more. Need I say more?

Zynux

Super Metroid

Postby Zynux » 07.21.15 5:40am

Everyone should be encouraged to do their own research, but discussion and debates will often force you outside your comfort zone. By yourself depending on your biases, you may or may not fall into areas and ideas that make you feel "comfortable" about your own preconceived notions rather then a desire for searching the truth.

On the flip side, just listening and believing whatever someone else is telling you on the internet instead of a desire to seek it out on your own is a problem in of itself.
"Cut! There are no second chances for actors that fall to the abyss. Await your second casting in the darkness forever." - The Night of Wallachia

Remnants

Metroid Queen

Postby Remnants » 07.21.15 11:28am

Everyone should be encouraged to do their own research, but discussion and debates will often force you outside your comfort zone. By yourself depending on your biases, you may or may not fall into areas and ideas that make you feel "comfortable" about your own preconceived notions rather then a desire for searching the truth.

On the flip side, just listening and believing whatever someone else is telling you on the internet instead of a desire to seek it out on your own is a problem in of itself.
Oh gawd, the "listen and believe" phrase is forever burned into my brain thanks to Anita Sarkeesian. x_x

I suppose it depends on what you're searching the truth about and how you frame your research. For example, a topic about grid-scale battery storage. I could either open up a thread somewhere asking "will renewables and batteries change the energy landscape?" (the fact that I would need to carefully word the title not to make it sound too complicated should tell me something) or I could head on over to the IEEE's website, type "battery energy storage" in the search bar and find a plethora of articles.

Yeah, this is a very different field from much more murky subjects with pundits and interest groups trying very hard to control the narrative.

Although if there's one area that's looking particularly rosy -- so rosy it sounds too good to be true -- it's the renewable energy and storage field. Good grief, look at this headline! Fossil Fuels are Finished - The Rest is Just Detail

Zynux

Super Metroid

Postby Zynux » 07.22.15 1:49pm

Just have to be vigilant. You need to be mindful that you will be exposed to other people's biases, their stretching of the truth, and their narrative they are pushing in their articles (consciously or subconsciously) that you would need to screen out.

Likewise, everyone has a tendency to just fall into their own biases and only seek out sources and opinions that mirror their own.

Return to “%s” General Discussions