What are you watching on TV?

Talk about anything regarding non-gaming related topics: films, books, music, pop culture, whatever!
HYRUL3

Dark Samus

What are you watching on TV?

Postby HYRUL3 » 04.05.15 6:46pm

This is a wonderful age for TV. The quality of shows has jumped significantly in recent years.

Just finished season 2 of Black Sails, the historical drama that combines characters from the book Treasure Island with actual historical pirates like Charles Vane and Calico Jack. It's fantastic.

Other than that, keeping up with Better Call Saul, Arrow, and Flash.

So, discuss our favorite shows here, and obviously as new episodes drop, use a spoiler tag for the major stuff.
"I am tired of being under the weight of greedy men who don't believe in anything."

Meta Ridley

Metroid Queen

Re: What are you watching on TV?

Postby Meta Ridley » 04.05.15 6:54pm

The stuff on TV I'm actively seeking out are: Supernatural, Walking Dead, Talking Dead, Steven Universe, and I think that's it really. I thought the Bieber Roast was really funny.

HYRUL3

Dark Samus

Postby HYRUL3 » 04.05.15 7:03pm

The stuff on TV I'm actively seeking out are: Supernatural, Walking Dead, Talking Dead, Steven Universe, and I think that's it really. I thought the Bieber Roast was really funny.
I just watched that last night On Demand. It was pretty good. I'm shocked at how FEW of the jokes were actually about Bieber. It seemed they were roasting each other for most of it.
"I am tired of being under the weight of greedy men who don't believe in anything."

Apothem

Postby Apothem » 04.05.15 7:04pm

I watched through Breaking Bad some months back on Netflix. It was alright. Makes for a good dark comedy at times, but had far too many problems to raise it above "better than average." The contrivances necessary to keep Walter and Jesse alive for so long got stupid quick; none of the characters were particularly clever or interesting; the plot was meandering and nonsensical; and the show took itself far too seriously. It was still entertaining, just also frequently aggravating.

HYRUL3

Dark Samus

Postby HYRUL3 » 04.05.15 7:06pm

I watched through Breaking Bad some months back on Netflix. It was alright. Makes for a good dark comedy at times, but had far too many problems to raise it above "better than average." The contrivances necessary to keep Walter and Jesse alive for so long got stupid quick; none of the characters were particularly clever or interesting; the plot was meandering and nonsensical; and the show took itself far too seriously. It was still entertaining, just also frequently aggravating.
Ahhhhhhhhh I love Breaking Bad. Sad to hear you didn't love it, but to each their own. I thought it was a non stop rollercoaster ride from season 3 to the finale.

Apothem

Postby Apothem » 04.05.15 7:14pm

One of my biggest problems is that I just didn't care about anyone. I knew Walter and Jesse weren't going to die - at least not before the finale - and everyone else was an unrepentant prick, except for maybe Walt Jr. No one really elicted any sympathy and as such there was no reason to invest in anyone. Kind of hard to have drama when you don't care about the characters involved.

HYRUL3

Dark Samus

Postby HYRUL3 » 04.05.15 7:20pm

Actually, Jesse was originally going to be killed off at the end of the first or second season. Then they decided to keep his character around. I really liked that they did. His final encounter with Walt was just great.

Chris

Kraid

Postby Chris » 04.09.15 3:09am

When I heard they were doing a spin off of Breaking Bad I was thinking, yeah good luck with that, will never work, how wrong I was. Better Call Saul has been great, it's been great so far seeing how he end's up where he was in Breaking Bad, looking forward to next season. Also the back story to Mike has been interesting too.

Looking forward to the return of Game of Thrones. Also still waiting to hear about when Hannibal is returning, I think season 2 was probably best TV I've ever watched.

HYRUL3

Dark Samus

Postby HYRUL3 » 04.09.15 6:51am

When I heard they were doing a spin off of Breaking Bad I was thinking, yeah good luck with that, will never work, how wrong I was. Better Call Saul has been great, it's been great so far seeing how he end's up where he was in Breaking Bad, looking forward to next season. Also the back story to Mike has been interesting too.

Looking forward to the return of Game of Thrones. Also still waiting to hear about when Hannibal is returning, I think season 2 was probably best TV I've ever watched.
The Season 2 finale may be the most jaw dropping finale I've ever seen. As a diehard Lecter fan I was very skeptical when they announced this show, but now it is my favorite version of events.

HYRUL3

Dark Samus

Postby HYRUL3 » 04.12.15 1:56pm

Netflix's newest addition, Daredevil, is just FANTASTIC.

Even if you don't like superhero stuff, watch it. It's more street level than anything else Marvel does. It's dark. It's gritty. But it's fun. And awesome.

I'll be binge watching it all week.

VGMStudios

Ridley

Postby VGMStudios » 04.13.15 3:00pm

Nice to see im not the only Supernatural fan here! :)

VGM out...
Super Metroid, the most perfect game ever created! Period!

HYRUL3

Dark Samus

Postby HYRUL3 » 04.20.15 5:15am

I am on the 8th episode of Daredevil, and things are getting REALLY good. It just makes me wish that Netflix had been given the SHIELD show, not ABC. On Netflix I would hope they could do more and get away with more and have it be less of a crappy buddy cop melodrama.

Khyron

Gamma Metroid

Postby Khyron » 10.30.15 9:27pm

Got caught up on Season 2 of Fargo tonight. I don't watch much television other than movies and the cartoons that the kids have on but I absolutely love this series! If you have not seen the movie then I strongly recommend you do so before starting on the series.
The series does not pick up where the film let off, but there is a point in which the two intersect in season 1 and it's a really great moment. Again, I don't watch a lot of television so I was shocked with the amount of graphic violence and "adult content" in the series. In my best "back in my day" geezer voice: I guess that's just the way these kids today like their programs on the television set.

Return to “%s” General Discussions