Double standards on this forum

Talk about anything regarding non-gaming related topics: films, books, music, pop culture, whatever!
craigrobbo

Alpha Metroid

Double standards on this forum

Postby craigrobbo » 07.22.15 3:38am

Okay guys, I don't post much on here...and for good reason
It feels like there is double standard Herr, favouritism or just snobbery

I don't expect this post to last because I've posted it.

If I post something that is similar but I feel feel deserves its own thread, I'm shunned. If I have a thought or an idea or questions some higher authority or admin gives their opinion and locks the thread (even though I turned out to be right)

So I get my thread locked for having a 'similar thread' open
However other people open a thread after mine that's damn near identical and guess what...that's ok...

So all in all we can't have an opionion and it feels like double standards...

I know this thread isn't great English but I can't be bothered to put the effort in when treated alike this.

Rant over
If you cant get past a boss, throw the pad at the screen as hard as you can. That will kill it!!

HYRUL3

Dark Samus

Re: Double standards on this forum

Postby HYRUL3 » 07.22.15 9:56am

I am sorry that you feel this way. We are a good group of people, and are very accepting.

Try to participate more. Become more active. You'll know us better.

I can't speak for anyone else, and I haven't seen your other posts, but I'd like to think we wouldn't lock them without cause.

We're friendly here. You'll see.
"I am tired of being under the weight of greedy men who don't believe in anything."

craigrobbo

Alpha Metroid

Postby craigrobbo » 07.22.15 11:29am

I am sorry that you feel this way. We are a good group of people, and are very accepting.

Try to participate more. Become more active. You'll know us better.

I can't speak for anyone else, and I haven't seen your other posts, but I'd like to think we wouldn't lock them without cause.

We're friendly here. You'll see.
Hello,

First sorry about second post my phone must have done that ad it was not intentionally done.

Secondly I have been a lurked for a long time.

The last post I put up was asking who feels metroid would be at e3 given evidence and wanted a thread specifically for metroid at e3 not a generic e3 thread and I got a snobby responce of 'no and there is already an e3 thread)

So when meteoid was announced I was the first person to post up about it with screen shots my thread was shunned in place of someone else who posted after me ..but theirs was not locked.

Sorry but sounds out and out like favouritism
If you cant get past a boss, throw the pad at the screen as hard as you can. That will kill it!!

Xandalf

Gamma Metroid

Postby Xandalf » 07.22.15 11:32am

As far as I know, nobody here gives too much or little attention to anybody. I know how feeling ignored feels though, like all the times I've been forgotten at school before. If you post more we'd be happy to talk with you. :)

craigrobbo

Alpha Metroid

Postby craigrobbo » 07.22.15 11:49am

As far as I know, nobody here gives too much or little attention to anybody. I know how feeling ignored feels though, like all the times I've been forgotten at school before. If you post more we'd be happy to talk with you. :)
Nothing to do with ignorance mate it's favouritism and double standards, having one rule for one and another rule for another.

I find it comical that the person who locked my thread and didn't bother to lock the other person's thread hasn't responded and I am sure if they do the reply will be just as snotty either that or he'll probwrbly lock this or ban me on the basis I'm right and he's in the wrong.

Zynux

Super Metroid

Postby Zynux » 07.22.15 1:24pm

This thread was locked because the discussion of Metroid at e3 was better fit for the e3 thread or Metroid 5 thread. The fact that he gave his personal opinion on the topic (which is what the OP asked to begin with) at hand doesn't change that.

Your Federation Force thread slipped through the cracks, which only happened to you once. In my personal opinion, it was likely because the other OP had a more poignant subject line so many flocked there and didn't realize your thread was earlier. The jabs in the OP of your thread where most users likely didn't know what you were talking about certainly didn't help, I'm sure.

I've seen a couple of times where duplicates sometimes slip through the cracks while others don't. I've seen some users that consistently make duplicates threads that stay up while the same person makes other duplicates that get locked. So, it just depends on what the moderation catches at the time and less likely has to do with any sort of innate bias. Did you PM him or another moderator during that time? You'll probably get more headway that way on whatever issues your having then making a thread about it in the General where many will likely ignore it or right it off as drama.

I would also say that MDb News would be the most ideal place to discuss Meta issues and get the eyes of the Mods if need be instead of the General.

I highly doubt it's any sort of bias or favoritism. Could of just been a slip up. You should have contacted the mods about this back then instead of making it an issue a month later.
"Cut! There are no second chances for actors that fall to the abyss. Await your second casting in the darkness forever." - The Night of Wallachia

Ridley prepping his body for Other M

Apothem

Postby Apothem » 07.22.15 3:25pm

Going through your post history you've gotten quite a bit of traction in many of your threads. You're definitely not being actively shunned by the community here, as is evidenced by our collective response to this very thread.

Zynux is correct, your E3 speculation thread was locked as the discussion was better suited elsewhere. Infinity's End can be blunt, but he made the right call.

Your Federation Force thread was vaguely titled and posted in the middle of E3, where people are already preoccupied with everything from the show. Most of that discussion was, logically, in our E3 specific thread, later afterwards moving to our General Videogame News thread. TheAccursedHunter01 may have posted 30 minutes later, but his thread was precisely named and thus drew more attention. I would suggest concisely naming your threads from now on, as most people won't click through unless the header grabs their attention. Be simple and straightforwards and you'll find that helps a great deal.

As for other duplicates and similar threads, they happen. We have a small crew moderating the forums, and even though our overall traffic is minimal some things still slip through our fingers. Much of it is also up to the individual moderator. Some may shut down what others might find acceptable. Like Zynux said, if you have any issues or concerns it's best to take them directly to we staffers through PM. You can even PM the lot of us at once. The point here being you have options.

I'll leave this thread open for a day or so that you might respond and we might clear the air. Afterwards, hopefully with these problems resolved, I'll :ice: it so that we can move on.

craigrobbo

Alpha Metroid

Postby craigrobbo » 07.22.15 4:44pm

Thanks for the replies, I will take it with a pinch of salt 're closing threads of duplicates.

However yes there was an e3 thread that was just a swap of various discussion so it made logical seance to have a dedicated meteoid one...on a metroid forum....

Aside this forum isn't the busiest so what's the probelem having a few threads that are similar (granted if they are the same or identical delete it)

And the reason I posted this now is I was always scared of being banned or shunned on here because of some opinionated and blunt people us the fact of everything having to be perfectly by the book and do as such and such says (not the best wording sorry)

Just feels we don't have much freedom and this is exactly why I rarely post...I'm not at the point where I stopped caring if I'm banned because if I'm banned for somtbing petty then I don't wanna be here....

However it would be nice to have some freedom even if the difference is small.

My opinion was that the thread I made was justified but because one person. Didn't think so it was shunned...

craigrobbo

Alpha Metroid

Postby craigrobbo » 07.22.15 4:47pm

Side note I'd like to apologize for my poor writing I'm doing this in my phone as my pc Ethernet has developed a fault so can't type on pc

Zynux

Super Metroid

Postby Zynux » 07.22.15 6:53pm

Aside this forum isn't the busiest so what's the probelem having a few threads that are similar (granted if they are the same or identical delete it)
Well, most forums want to eliminate clutter so all discussion goes in one place.
And the reason I posted this now is I was always scared of being banned or shunned on here because of some opinionated and blunt people us the fact of everything having to be perfectly by the book and do as such and such says (not the best wording sorry)
Doubt it, you'll be fine. If so, I would have been banned long ago since I've had many arguments with people here, some of them mods/administrators on multiple occasions across different topics.

Can't remember the last time someone was actually banned here.
Just feels we don't have much freedom and this is exactly why I rarely post...I'm not at the point where I stopped caring if I'm banned because if I'm banned for somtbing petty then I don't wanna be here....
I disagree. I'm actually surprised at the certain discussions that can happen here that most forums would shy away from: it could be because of the smaller numbers and the fact that this forum does a decent job policing itself.
"Cut! There are no second chances for actors that fall to the abyss. Await your second casting in the darkness forever." - The Night of Wallachia

Ridley prepping his body for Other M

craigrobbo

Alpha Metroid

Postby craigrobbo » 07.23.15 3:47am

Well, most forums want to eliminate clutter so all discussion goes in one place.
Doubt it, you'll be fine. If so, I would have been banned long ago since I've had many arguments with people here, some of them mods/administrators on multiple occasions across different topics.

Can't remember the last time someone was actually banned here.
I disagree. I'm actually surprised at the certain discussions that can happen here that most forums would shy away from: it could be because of the smaller numbers and the fact that this forum does a decent job policing itself.

The problem I feel is when all the 'clutter' goes into one place, that place then becomes cluttered...so ineffect you end up with clutter filled with clutter (head baffle). It the point is having a thread that is 50-60 pages long with a lot of people having several discussions in one thread is just head baffling. Just use the r3 as an example (but applies to others too)

The e3 thread was talks of general e3 stuffs, so if I want to ask about meteoid or find any talk on just metroid me or anyone else is going to have to search through 50+ pages of clutter just to see if anything is written or if your question had been asked already/answered.

Again back to my statement it would have made sends to have a meteoid e3 thread on a meteoid forum

The issue I feel is the clutter is all put together making them threads more cluttered, difficult to read and just makes it a massive chore as opposed to being fun

Apothem

Postby Apothem » 07.23.15 9:08am

You make a point about thread clutter, but on the other hand having separate threads for topics that could easily be merged into one is simply clutter of another kind. No one's expecting you or anyone else to read through dozens of thread pages. Skimming through the last two or three helps, but regardless you're more than welcome to post whatever topic-appropriate response you please, even if it may be repeating what someone else previously stated. In this particular instance you could've just as easily posted your question in the E3 thread and have gotten a much better response.

It's a general rule of the site: Try not to make a thread if posting in another one would serve just as well. We all (mostly) follow this. No one's trying to single you or anyone else out. Following those larger threads is also simple, you just jump to the last page where the most pertinent conversations are taking place. If you have something completely new and off topic to discuss, that's when you make a new thread, assuming what you have to say wouldn't well fit elsewhere. Massive threads may seem daunting, but they beat having dozens of miniscule, dead threads laying about and help focus and preserve discussion.

HYRUL3

Dark Samus

Postby HYRUL3 » 07.23.15 12:07pm

Don't worry about getting banned. Unless you raise hell and just won't play by the rules, you're going to be just fine.

I didn't always get along with everyone here; in fact I butted heads with IE a few times, and over time I learned my mistakes and moved on. And low and behold, a few weeks ago, the very Admin I butted heads with offered me a role as a moderator.

If there was favoritism and strict banning, I would've been out a long time ago.
"I am tired of being under the weight of greedy men who don't believe in anything."

craigrobbo

Alpha Metroid

Postby craigrobbo » 07.24.15 8:08am

You make a point about thread clutter, but on the other hand having separate threads for topics that could easily be merged into one is simply clutter of another kind. No one's expecting you or anyone else to read through dozens of thread pages. Skimming through the last two or three helps, but regardless you're more than welcome to post whatever topic-appropriate response you please, even if it may be repeating what someone else previously stated. In this particular instance you could've just as easily posted your question in the E3 thread and have gotten a much better response.

It's a general rule of the site: Try not to make a thread if posting in another one would serve just as well. We all (mostly) follow this. No one's trying to single you or anyone else out. Following those larger threads is also simple, you just jump to the last page where the most pertinent conversations are taking place. If you have something completely new and off topic to discuss, that's when you make a new thread, assuming what you have to say wouldn't well fit elsewhere. Massive threads may seem daunting, but they beat having dozens of miniscule, dead threads laying about and help focus and preserve discussion.

Maybe this is just a difference in opinion and useability I would prefer to have more threads with less pages as you later described.

Just like on this forum we have specific metroid forums and then a general forum.

Why could the same not apt to the e3 thread (or any other thread for that matter) single specific and a general in this case my thread would've been the specific one and the other thread would be the general one.

Again seems like double standards, we can have specific and general on the forums but not on threads...

Apothem

Postby Apothem » 07.24.15 11:42am

Agree to disagree then. You're free to post where and what you please, provided it's not in violation of our rules. The moderation team is likewise free to take what action they deem necessary. In future, if you have something to post that's relevant to an existing thread, I ask you to post there. If not, it may be possibly locked or merged. These are the rules we all follow, though slip ups do occasionally happen. If you or any other member of the forum have any similar concerns in future I invite you to contact our staff directly through PM. Hopefully we can resolve such issues more expediently that way.

Now as I said previously, I'll be :ice:'ing the thread before we spin our wheels any further.

Return to “%s” General Discussions