Metroid other M story plot discussion

Discuss anything related to Metroid: Other M here!
Rj alchemist

Gamma Metroid

Metroid other M story plot discussion

Postby Rj alchemist » 02.13.10 6:13pm

Ok, this one is a tough one. If Metroid other m is an interquel between super metroid and fusion I dont know what Nintendo is gunna do.
1. All metroids are dead
2. Dark samus is dead
3. SA-X doesnt exist yet
4. Tell me if im wrong here, but i do believe all of the space pirates are dead too.
The Only part that could possibly create any sort of story is Ridley, who is not dead.
Anything else? Please reply.

Reconite

Metroid Queen

Re: Metroid other M story plot discusion

Postby Reconite » 02.13.10 6:30pm

Rj alchemist wrote:is Ridley, who is not dead.

Ridley never dies!

Steamlord

Super Metroid

Postby Steamlord » 02.13.10 8:03pm

I wouldn't mind having Ridley as the main villain for once.
i like it when people sig me

IcePotash

Metroid

Postby IcePotash » 02.13.10 8:16pm

Wait since when are all the Space Pirates dead?
The world is my oyster, but I'm allergic to sea food...

Outlaw

Anonymous

Postby Outlaw » 02.13.10 8:32pm

Rj alchemist wrote:1. All metroids are dead

Supposedly, until Fusion.
---

Ridley for some reason always comes back. I think Ridley should die. :awesome:

Dragonheart91

Zeta Metroid

Postby Dragonheart91 » 02.13.10 8:55pm

Actually, Ridley has been captured in Metroid Fusion but they don't explain how. (He was being held in stasis on the station.) I think somewhere in Other M there will be a section where you actually CAPTURE Ridley. Also as of the end of Fusion, the X had killed Ridley. But yeah, he always gets cloned back or something.

I think there will also be a plot line about the federation trying to clone Metroids and Samus stopping them. (She was REALLY pissed in Fusion when she found out, I think it's likely because she had already stopped them before in Other M.)

Other than that, they will probably create another one-off villain. I expect the game to be more cerebral and political than "this person is evil, go kill them" though. There might not even be an end boss in the same style we know it. Oh, and I expect there will be issues about the Future Aura Complex and the Mother Brain's new body being argued over.

Steamlord

Super Metroid

Postby Steamlord » 02.13.10 9:01pm

Dragonheart91 wrote:I think there will also be a plot line about the federation trying to clone Metroids and Samus stopping them. (She was REALLY pissed in Fusion when she found out, I think it's likely because she had already stopped them before in Other M.)

I doubt it. In Fusion she says that she eradicated all of the Metroids on SR388, presumably referring to RoS. I guess they could retcon it, but why would they? Oh, right, so they can have Metroids in Other M. I'll be pissed if they do that.

Oh, and did you mean the Aurora Units? Because Other M takes place after Prime 3.

Dragonheart91

Zeta Metroid

Postby Dragonheart91 » 02.13.10 9:10pm

Yeah, "Aura" was a typo for "Aurora".

I believe Fusion does mention that she eradicated all Metroids, but I don't recall it saying when. And note that I didn't say they succeeded in coning Metroids, I merely said that I think they will TRY to clone Metroids. I just think it's a likely occurrence and doesn't interfere with the Fusion story as long as Samus kills them all again. (Or stops them from being created.)

Antiquity

Zeta Metroid

Postby Antiquity » 02.13.10 9:32pm

IcePotash wrote:Wait since when are all the Space Pirates dead?

I agree; how do we know all of the pirates are dead?

We know that the space pirates (including Ridley) somehow wound up on BSL at the time of the X outbreak. That demands some explanation.

From what I can tell, the object of Other M is to fill in some of the holes like that so Sakamoto et al can continue onward to making Metroid 5.

Rj alchemist

Gamma Metroid

Postby Rj alchemist » 02.13.10 9:56pm

Ok, lets start with the question of the space pirates. Samus destroyed their homeworld in prime 3 and from what i know she killed the rest of them when Zebes exploded in Super Metroid. I like the idea of Samus trying to stop the cloning of metroids (which eventually happens in fusion anyway). But, in the manga samus likes the idea of using metroids for the good of the universe. Then again, she probably lost hope of that after the incedent at the Ceres research station in Super Metroid. It might be that she's worried it will happen again (which, again, happens in fusion anyway). Also the idea of cloning metroids could explain what other M means. Either that, or it's refering to some other danger like metroids, which could be the X. The big question I have is what if nintendo goes and makes another sort of story arc, like prime? I really doubt that but I don't see what Nintendo can come up with with the factors given at the begining of the discussion.

Antiquity

Zeta Metroid

Postby Antiquity » 02.13.10 10:48pm

Well, it's going to be difficult for the word metroid to feature in the title but for the title creature not to appear. Of course, Zelda has done that, so who can say?

I suspect that the plot of Other M will revolve around the Federation getting its fingers into something it shouldn't, a la Fusion, though possibly not as extreme, and space pirates (we already know Ridley is in the game because he features in the trailer) trying to capitalize on it all.

However, do we know anything? Really, we don't. All we know is the following:

-Samus shows up and is obviously a playable character
-There are cutscenes that apparently stem from some of Samus' former adventures, including Super Metroid, and also possibly events that took place before Zero Mission when she was directly employed by the GF.
-Adam Malkovich at the very least appears in the cutscenes. We don't know if he only appears in flashbacks, or if he is a character in the game. Undoubtedly more will be revealed about him.
-Ridley appears in some of the gameplay sequences, which indicate that he is among the cast of villains in the game.
-There is something called a "Living Arms Development Lab", a screen of which displays a QUERTY keyboard. This is almost certainly a GF installation, and given the name ('Living Arms') we can assume the GF is experimenting with biological weaponry, which metroids would certainly qualify as.
-There is a blonde woman in the trailer who has been identified as "not Samus, but another, important character". We've speculated that this may be Samus' mother, a clone of Samus' mother, or even a clone of Samus herself, but we really don't know anything.

Now, Nintendo does not have a reputation for being entirely consistent; however, here is what we can surmise:

-Samus believes metroids to be extinct as of her mission to SR388 in the prologue of Fusion. She is surprised when she learns that she was revived using the metroid vaccine. We aren't told whether or not she is surprised to discover the Restricted Laboratory aboard BSL in Fusion, but Adam acts as though he expects that she would be surprised. This means one of three things:
---1. Metroids will not appear in Other M outside of flashbacks, but their legacy will matter to the plot somehow.
---2. Metroids will appear in Other M, but Samus will have reason to believe that they are extinct (again) by the game's end.
---3. Nintendo will retcon the story of Fusion such that Samus would have reason to believe that metroids might still exist at the time of Fusion.

Personally, I hope what they will do is #1, because there are only so many times that the metroids can seemingly become extinct and then show up again for it to remain believable that they really are extinct in time for the next game. More likely, I think, is that Nintendo will opt for #2 instead. They will do some retconning, but I doubt they will do something as serious as #3.

Steamlord

Super Metroid

Postby Steamlord » 02.13.10 10:55pm

Allow me to quote the Fusion manual...
Eventually, Samus Aran was sent to SR388 to exterminate the last remaining Metroids - but only after an entire Federation platoon was wiped out in an earlier attempt.

At the end of her battle on SR388, one Metroid hatchling was born before Samus's eyes and it imprinted upon her as a mother figure. Samus took this larval Metroid, the last in the universe, to the Galactic Space Academy for observation and research.

So they could retcon Fusion, but I think it would be pretty stupid.

Rj alchemist wrote:Ok, lets start with the question of the space pirates. Samus destroyed their homeworld in prime 3 and from what i know she killed the rest of them when Zebes exploded in Super Metroid.

Wasn't it stated that the Pirate Homeworld in Corruption wasn't actually their planet of origin, but just another planet they had settled long ago?

Redwing

Super Metroid

Postby Redwing » 02.13.10 11:04pm

I would like to see a story focused on Ridley. The Federation finally acknowledges the fact that he never dies (hopefully via something like Sylux's Reflecting Eye story) and instead focuses on capturing him. I dunno, it could be interesting.

ph00tbag

Omega Metroid

Postby ph00tbag » 02.14.10 10:02am

Rj alchemist wrote:1. All metroids are dead

We thought that after Super, rememeber? I think it's safe to say we can never be sure all the metroids are dead.

Steamlord

Super Metroid

Postby Steamlord » 02.14.10 10:22am

Yeah, but the thing is, Other M takes place between Super and Fusion, and they're supposed to be dead between Super and Fusion.

Return to “%s” Metroid: Other M