Metroid other M story plot discussion

Discuss anything related to Metroid: Other M here!
Will Keaton

Omega Metroid

Re: Metroid other M story plot discussion

Postby Will Keaton » 12.16.14 9:33pm

I have a few questions regarding the scene with the Lusitania, the shuttle that Adam's ship was towing when the drive unit exploded killing Ian. Ships as small as Samus' have a warp drive or whatever you call it that allows it to travel at faster than light speeds. So why does the Lusitania have a giant drive unit that is several times the size of the shuttle itself? Was it a new, experimental drive unit? And if so why would they test it out on a vessel filled with civilian passengers?

For reference: The Lusitania. The drive unit.
Everyone dies. It is the final and only lasting Justice - Boba Fett

Apothem

Postby Apothem » 12.16.14 11:01pm

Logic should not be applied to M:OM under any circumstance. Dramatic tension and aesthetic appeal are the only decent explanation. The team wanted something big and cool looking to blow up so as to kill off a tangential tertiary character of ultimately no importance. Like a lot of Other M, the scene lacks consistency with the rest of the franchise and offers no sufficient reasoning.

ultraviolet

Metroid

Postby ultraviolet » 03.11.15 9:00am

You know, it's just occurred to me how right you were there, about logic. Now my 'OMG! AMAZING!' phase has ended, I do have a billion questions about the whole thing. I was wondering if the plot holes were intentional and a segue into a possible sequel along the lines Other M laid down but it does seem to be more of an Action-Show akin to what Resident Evil 6 (which I also enjoy, but only the Leon chapter) did to the series. It's been said a lot that Other M is simply Fusion in 3D.

Know what I've come to realise? I love Other M for gameplay, 2.5D is an interesting gimmick, but I would have preferred Fusion in 2.5D any day.

I think in retrospect, the idea of giving Samus a soul was a great idea and should be continued, and Jessica Martin was perfect, but it was executed in a way that made me think her character was a little insane in some ways - only insofar as the Ridley thing and the respect for a man who treats her like the s**t on his shoe. It's like how in GTA Vice City, you have a character that could talk, unlike every other game until then - I think the actual character of Samus is in her infancy because until now, WE were Samus.

The one thing though that I cannot forgive is the Gravity Suit 'feature' - it was a tangible upgrade in every other game. I get tired of looking at orange throughout the entire game. So yeah, logic, there wasn't any for that - carrying over the upgrades from Super would have meant logically, that that upgrade would have remained the same. It still makes me twitch though I still love the game.

I shut up now :D
Gigantic, overwhelmingly powerful, impossible to beat villain? I think everyone but Samus Aran would just run.

Apothem

Postby Apothem » 03.12.15 12:12am

Other M has its problems, as we've discussed ad nauseam, but I'd still like to see Nintendo attempt another expansive take on the series. So long as they hand it off to a competent writer. Yoshio Sakamoto has solid mechanical design sensibilities, but he was woefully inadequate at telling the kind of story he was shooting for in Other M.

TheAccursedHunter01

Zeta Metroid

Postby TheAccursedHunter01 » 08.27.15 11:03pm

I preferred why Adam called Samus "Lady" in the manga:

Adam didn't call Samus "Lady" because it was a joke, it actually meant something. How Other M described Adam's usage of "Lady" was never completely clear to me, but it seems like Sakamoto forgot his own writing. Now that I think about it, the manga also gave Samus a different reason for leaving the military in the first place I believe:
My head canon is that because of Samus' independent nature and personality(going off of the manga anyway), Samus would have left the military eventually, but Ian's death was the last "nail in the coffin" so to speak. Although, Other M makes it seem like Ian's death was Samus' only reason for leaving the GF, as in she would have stayed a soldier if Ian had not died.

Zynux

Super Metroid

Postby Zynux » 08.29.15 3:33pm

but it seems like Sakamoto forgot his own writing.
Sakamoto was an editorial supervisor for the manga, not the script writer. The writer was Kouji Tazawa.

More accurate thing to say would be that Sakamoto didn't really pay enough attention to what he was supervising.
"Cut! There are no second chances for actors that fall to the abyss. Await your second casting in the darkness forever." - The Night of Wallachia

Ridley prepping his body for Other M

Apothem

Postby Apothem » 08.29.15 8:33pm

Sakamoto "Not paying enough attention" pretty much sums up M:OM's problems in a nut shell.

TheAccursedHunter01

Zeta Metroid

Postby TheAccursedHunter01 » 08.30.15 5:07pm

Sakamoto "Not paying enough attention" pretty much sums up M:OM's problems in a nut shell.
I know Sakamoto had a very small role in the development of the Prime games, but does anyone think that he doesn't completely know what happened in the Prime games? Like he was just asked every know and then by Retro if they can put certain things into the game and that was the extent of it? That doesn't seem like it would be the case since he seems to be the guy in charge of the whole franchise, but he made it seem like Other M was the first time Samus has worked with the Federation even though she did that in Prime 3. She worked with the Federation more in Prime 3 than she did in Other M since Samus spent almost no time with the Platoon 7 guys, while she was assisting and working with Federation people all throughout Prime 3(counting the Aurora units). If Sakamoto isn't that knowledgeable about the Prime games and what happens in them, then how will the franchise move forward in a good way if the head honcho doesn't know what happens in half of the Metroid games? Counting Federation Force, the Prime games will make up half of the Metroid games that have been released(if you don't count the original Metroid and Zero Mission as the same game).

Apothem

Postby Apothem » 08.30.15 9:52pm

More so than contradictions with the Prime series, why did Sakamoto find it necessary to functionally retread Fusion but in 3D? All because he's technically in charge of the Metroid franchise doesn't mean he has an encyclopedic knowledge of it, or that he cares for continuity. Other M could've been written any number of ways to better function with established cannon, but instead it seems like Sakamoto just forced his story in with little regard for what came before. That's one of the many reasons I wish Nintendo would open up about the game. We have no idea why these narrative/mechanical decisions were made or what influenced them, we can only speculate and that leads to largely baseless accusations. It's easy to sit back and think the team was blind or stupid for what they did, but the fact is we simply don't know the specifics, and I personally find that more maddening than the outcome.

TheAccursedHunter01

Zeta Metroid

Postby TheAccursedHunter01 » 05.21.16 12:29am

I'm not sure where exactly I should post this, but I found a very lengthy, but very well put together video about Other M's story. The video, despite it's length, sums up Other M's plot and why it's bad/doesn't work, pretty well. It also includes what other people have said about the game without directly referring to anything, like the "Elephant in the Room" article. The video also proposes that young Samus is sort of a representation of the independent Samus most people see her as, just to show that that Samus is wrong, and that she she follow orders and such (there's more to it than that, the video itself explains it better). I didn't completely notice that at first, but I can definitely see what the video's talking about. It's probably the best video to summarize the entire "Other M's Story is Bad" debacle, whether you've played the game or not. If any of you have the time, I recommend you check it out:

TheAccursedHunter01

Zeta Metroid

Postby TheAccursedHunter01 » 11.09.16 11:29pm

Sorry I ended up double posting since there hasn't been activity here in a while, but I found this relevant to the thread's discussion:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywhMvXMIhas

LesserChozo

Postby LesserChozo » 11.11.16 9:27am

I watched through that video and I think there are some points he missed. I don't know if it really changes anything, though.

If Other M is meant to be a culmination of the series so far, one needs to take into account the whole story. While the gameplay of Other M takes place following Super Metroid, the story spans to prior to the original game. Of course, this put the first few games in a different light. Samus left her military career basically in a heat of passion. Working alone, we don't really get a full sense of her personality. Only in Metroid Prime 3: Corruption do we see her interacting with other people, to varied results. But these are nearly complete strangers to her; it's all business.
As is mentioned in the video, the Metroid infant is more like a pet to her than a child. A pet she gives up and hands over to scientists to be studied and dissected. Then the Metroid is taken and subjected to experimentation by Mother Brain. When Samus encounters it again, surprisingly it recognizes her, and like an abused dog, it is still completely loyal to her. When it goes so far as to sacrifice itself to protect Samus, she is struck with guilt. This is clearly meant to be an emotional moment for her, which parallels Ian's sacrifice, and obviously Adam's later on.
So, even though Sakamoto says this is who Samus is, I choose to believe it's not, but rather that she has reached her breaking point. I doubt the Chozo properly prepared her for this kind of situation. - In fact, there's no real indication of how she was raised. - Prior to and throughout Other M, Samus is suffering from guilt and a crisis of conscience. This could explain her uncharacteristic submission to, and unwarranted respect for Adam. She's desperate for some guidance and stability in her vulnerable state.
In Fusion she's more like her old, self-sufficient and independent self, following the guidance of the computer only because she has little choice.

This, of course, does not excuse Adam's borderline abuse of her, unless there was some lingering personal resentment on his part. He clearly doesn't trust her from the start. The whole incident with the Varia Suit could very well have been a test of her submission, i.e. trustworthiness. Again, however, this doesn't excuse his later actions towards her.

Regardless of how you look at it, unfortunately, Other M is a poorly written mess. Sakamoto should stick with the narrative-in-gameplay approach, not the other way around.
Don't be pushed by your problems. Be led by your dreams.

Return to “%s” Metroid: Other M