Rate Metroid: Other M

Discuss anything related to Metroid: Other M here!

Moderator: Moderators

On a scale from 1 to 10, how would you rate Metroid: Other M?

15%
32%
24%
8%
6%
4%
3%
2%
2%
4%

Total votes : 272

Sorcerio

Metroid

Rate Metroid: Other M

Postby Sorcerio » 09.01.10 2:38pm

If you've played Metroid: Other M rate it here. 1 through 10, 10 being the best.

I'm going with a 6.

I'd initially hoped to make this a poll to gauge at a glance what the general opinion of Other M on MDb is, but apparently I don't have authorization to use that feature.

[Poll beam use is authorized. -mental]
Last edited by Sorcerio on 09.01.10 6:07pm, edited 1 time in total.
Samus Aran wrote:

Phaci0us Phaz0n

Egg

Re: Rate Metroid: Other M

Postby Phaci0us Phaz0n » 09.01.10 3:09pm

8.7293 / 10 ... but a must play

4/10 for feeling like a Metroid game (which it doesn't for the most part)
LOL & woot @ the last 5 minutes.
StondMoose wrote:Remembuh Amuhica!

Opium

Zeta Metroid

Postby Opium » 09.01.10 3:54pm

I guess I would give it a 6 at this point. I expect much much more from a metroid game. :(

Sam A. Ran

Mochtroid

Postby Sam A. Ran » 09.01.10 6:20pm

As a stand alone game I think it deserves the 8.5 many places give it. Removing myself from Metroid fandom and looking at it as a stand alone game, there are a few gripes like the stupid "find the pixel" mini games and such, but overall it's an enjoyable experience.

However as a Metroid game... I don't know. Honestly, it's not a Metroid game. It has VERY few things in common with what a Metroid game should be.

Sorcerio

Metroid

Postby Sorcerio » 09.01.10 6:41pm

We hit a minor snag in this poll resulting in the tallies being reset. So if you voted before and your vote is not showing up, please feel free to recast your vote.

Thanks.
Samus Aran wrote:

doc O. Mire

Omega Metroid

Postby doc O. Mire » 09.01.10 9:49pm

only problems am having so far are the forced, find the small and difficult to spot detail that almost perfectly fits this picture, and the lava area. died four times in the first twenty minutes i was there, three times at the exact same spot. Then again, considering my name and avatar, it only makes sense that magma and I wouldn't be getting along very well
"Writing is easy. You just stare at a blank page until your forehead starts to bleed." - Douglas Adams

Ranzor

Hatchling

Postby Ranzor » 09.02.10 12:35am

I give it an 8. The worst part really was the pixel-hunting parts for me. They could at least have made the thing you're looking for to stand out a little bit more. There was this part where I knew what I should be looking for, and even then it took me a long time to find it because there was absolutely no indication of what was the exact spot I should point to.

SouthpawLink

Egg

Postby SouthpawLink » 09.02.10 2:56am

I scored it 9/10. Aside from the find-the-pixel moments, the game play is very awesome. There were times when I struggled with the transition from third-person to first-person, but it still works pretty well overall. The auto-aim is also quite accurate, as long as you're facing the enemy. I could see some people complaining that there wasn't enough platforming (I think most is horizontal, rather than there being an even balance with vertical platforming). There was one small area that reminded me of the Brinstar shafts, so I thought that that was a nice touch.

I'm interested in what others mean when they say it isn't or that it's hardly Metroid. Wall-jumping, speed boosting, shinesparking, stackable beams, well-hidden pick-ups, lots of classic enemies... sounds like Metroid to me. :-? The only thing (game play-wise) that truly goes against the game, in my opinion, is the linearity - I can understand if other fans are very unhappy about that...

Personally, Other M is the game I wanted back when the first Prime came out (i.e. third-person instead of first-person), so I'm quite happy with how it turned out; I'd love to see the next game use the same perspective and game play-style (fast and fluid).

Yutrzenika

Postby Yutrzenika » 09.02.10 2:59am

9/10 for me.

Cosake_Solrac

Alpha Metroid

Postby Cosake_Solrac » 09.02.10 3:02am

around 9/10 for me.

1 loss is mainly for the linearity, but the rest...wow, that's all I gotta say. Wow.

I do hope that Sakamoto and Team Ninja can do a second game w/ this engine and play around w/ the environments to allow some more faithfulness to 'exploring', but for now, i'm quite happy w/ this game~

Zeroº

Ridley

Postby Zeroº » 09.02.10 3:10am

Cosake_Solrac wrote:I do hope that Sakamoto and Team Ninja can do a second game w/ this engine and play around w/ the environments to allow some more faithfulness to 'exploring', but for now, i'm quite happy w/ this game~
This.

I've said this before, but I think they should cut the amount of cutscenes in half next time around, and make the explorable map twice as big to compensate. Less talky, talky; more shooty, shooty. And much more wanton brutality. :awesome:
ImageImage
X-Ray Scope Acquired!

TriLxS

Hatchling

Postby TriLxS » 09.02.10 9:37am

Beat the game 100% with hard mode completed a while back, and I'm planning on playing the whole game again in the JAP version. That's how much I love this game :awesome: :awesome:

9/10
warning: don't fuck with ridley in hard mode! One hit, and you're down. So you HAVE to master the sense move before fighting him :evil: that's how awesome hard mode is, haha

Opium

Zeta Metroid

Postby Opium » 09.02.10 11:04am

Finally finished this game. Not interested in going back to get the other items. This one is either getting traded in or going on the shelf.

Mushroom Hopper

Zeta Metroid

Postby Mushroom Hopper » 09.02.10 5:31pm

9/10. Absolutely fantastic. There is room for improvement however...

PrimeTime90

Alpha Metroid

Postby PrimeTime90 » 09.02.10 6:27pm

*MASSIVE SPOILERS, YOU'VE BEEN WARNED*

8/10

+Core gameplay is fun, with some clever level design
+Gameplay-wise, Samus has never been more badass
+Fantastic animations
+Controls are usually quite accurate and I've never died because of them messing up
+Decent challenge, actually died 5 times(compared to the one accidental time in Prime 3)
+Fun boss fights
+I always know where I'm going. Some people might see linearity as a flaw, I see it as a virtue, damn near a necessity in some form.

-Craptastic story, with cutscenes that are amateurish and, quite frankly, embarrassing.
-Where is the fucking music!? I think Metroid soundtracks are overrated in general, but they usually have a few memorable themes. The single good song here in Ridley's Theme, which we've all heard a million times now.
-Where's Waldo scenes suck.
-Everything about MB. The giant wad of exposition, the cliche plot, the final "battle" with her.
-Combat does get repetitive after awhile
-Enemy design is kinda dull, but that's par the course for Metroid really.

Next

Return to Metroid: Other M