The part of Other M that pissed you off the most

Discuss anything related to Metroid: Other M here!
Warhead

Zeta Metroid

The part of Other M that pissed you off the most

Postby Warhead » 12.11.10 11:58am

Pretty much exactly what you think it is. There's several moments in this game that probably caused you to split the controller in two or something like it. What moment caused you to spit the most vitriol out of you? Keep it civil, please.

Gamer-e

Zeta Metroid

Re: The part of Other M that pissed you off the most

Postby Gamer-e » 12.11.10 12:15pm

The ending is what I was pissed about most. I wasn't pissed because of the way Samus was acting or anything like that. I was pissed because there was no climactic fight with MB nor a countdown from that lab back to your ship. Also, a bunch of crap starts happening at once, plotwise.

The post-game segment only sort of made up for that, but at least the ship was finally free for exploration and there was a countdown.
Last edited by Gamer-e on 12.11.10 12:44pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Work is for people who can't play video games." - Jillian Wiebe, "The King of Kong"

HYRUL3

Dark Samus

Postby HYRUL3 » 12.11.10 12:26pm

Pretty much exactly what you think it is. There's several moments in this game that probably caused you to split the controller in two or something like it. What moment caused you to spit the most vitriol out of you? Keep it civil, please.
You really want us to try to be civil posters in an uncivil board? :P

I felt robbed when I finished the game, even the post credits segment, and found out that Samus just fought Phantoon (which was probably the hardest battle in the game) for Adam's helmet. I thought the epilogue would at least partially wrap up the Deleter story.
"I am tired of being under the weight of greedy men who don't believe in anything."

Angel of fire

Gamma Metroid

Postby Angel of fire » 12.11.10 12:47pm

I am writing a review of the whole series, and the main part I hated about Other M was the lack of any mentoin of the chozo. I mean, after all they did for her, saving her life and giving her a meaning for life, not even a flashback.
MZM Hard mode 15% status: Complete

Trishbot

Gamma Metroid

Postby Trishbot » 12.11.10 1:25pm

Other M pissed me off at several points.

The big one was probably the Sector Zero scene, though. Samus being shot in the back and left helpless next to a life-threatening Metroid for no good reason, Adam blowing himself up for no good reason, and Samus going out of her way to THANK Adam for all his abusive, cold, self-centered behavior... I'm angry just thinking about it.

Honorable mentions to:
- The "Hell Run"
- The dead-end with the Wave Beam
- No final fight with Ridley or Mother Brain (thus Samus never accomplishes any of the "final mission" Adam gives her)
- The entire authorization system
- The meaningless Deleter subplot
- No mention of the all-important Chozo... at all
- The context-less, drawn-out Ridley scene where Samus cries hysterically and gets Anthony (almost) killed
- Every blasted time Samus opened her stupid mouth
- Those friggin' 10-minute long pixel hunts in the vein of Where's Waldo?... only you didn't even know what Waldo looked like!
- :adam:, in his entirety

Gamer-e

Zeta Metroid

Postby Gamer-e » 12.11.10 1:30pm

Oh yeah, the pixel hunts... Utterly despised those.

I actually had fun with Hell's Run. I actually wish there a way to disable equipment so I could add to the challenge.
"Work is for people who can't play video games." - Jillian Wiebe, "The King of Kong"

Satch

Kraid

Postby Satch » 12.11.10 3:17pm

Probably the issue with the lack of the Chozo.

She owes EVERYTHING to them. EVERYTHING.
Image Image
IF ADAM WANTS A GIRL TO ****ING DANCE, HE SHOULD JUST GO TO A STRIP CLUB. ~Doc Scratch

Warhead

Zeta Metroid

Postby Warhead » 12.11.10 3:29pm

The one thing that struck a nerve was not the Ridley scene, not the Sector Zero scene, not even the copout ending. oh no, it was something that was prevalent in practically every cutscene: It was the simple fact that Samus, previously shown as a cunning badass, was practically useless outside of gameplay. She did nothing but hold back the mission, whine and carry on, and kiss Adam's feet all the time, even when he put her in danger. She didn't even destroy big bad MB herself, breaking a Metroid tradition! It's irritating she went from destroying entire PLANETS in her wake to doing practically nothing throughout the whole thing, with a heap of unexplained mental issues to boot.

Oh, and this, too.

KingBroly

Ridley

Postby KingBroly » 12.11.10 3:52pm

I could describe to you some insane theory on why it makes sense for this game as to why she doesn't mention them. It'd even make Hideo Kojima proud at the insanity levels of it, but I digress...

I'm just pissed about the overall lack of context for EVERY.SINGLE.THING that goes on in this game.
Even the strongest of people can have their faith broken. Mine has.

CapCom

MDB Staff - Director

Postby CapCom » 12.11.10 4:27pm

Number one for me was the 10-minute cutscene at the end where Madeline explains everything. Talk about a Hideo Kojima moment... I could have put up with the rest of it, but I started to slap my forehead at how stupid things got at that point.

I've also copied some points that I agreed with:

Hell Run - yeah, this bothered me because it's not that hard to activate the Varia. Sure, it shows why the suit is important, but that doesn't mean it makes sense if you think about it.

Dead-end with the Wave Beam - this was a product of bad design. You spend about five minutes dodging. Plus, you have to go through those shafts twice.

No mention of Chozo - That's pretty huge. For mentioning Samus' backstory, you'd think Chozo would have played a larger role. However, I think this game was more about Adam and the Federation; it just doesn't put it in context with raised by the Chozo. I think that was MZM's job.

Don't get to fight MB - This is a pretty big no-no with design. You don't tell someone 'hey! there's this really awesome boss over here!' and then proceed to not let them fight it. It's like "oh! Cookie! But you cant have it!" Plus, I didn't like the way Samus stumbles around there. And how she gets shot in the back.

Here's the points I disagree with:

Authorization System - Again, I don't see why this is a problem. It's a clever solution to item collection and getting the player used to their items. Varia Suit was the only place where it mattered (that, and maybe the Wave Beam and putting the Grapple Beam into context). Also, how PB's aren't used until the VERY END. I don't see how taking orders from A Man makes the game sexist, either. She respects the guy. They have a history.

No final fight with Ridley - A second fight would have been more of the same - the last Ridley fight was awesome enough. Plus, he was pretty much dead by then, so it's not like there would have been much to kill - he's lying in the corner bleeding to death and doesn't even TRY to spit fire at the Metroid Queen. Just how fun would it have been, really? It's like kicking a cripple. Fighting the Queen was even better than fighting Ridley a second time. Is the problem the way it's presented, or did you just want to kill him dead? (Ironically, Samus seems to have a problem doing that anyway...)

Pixel Hunts - I don't think it's the pixel hunt that's the problem, but rather the hitboxes for the targets are so small - and you have to look at a SPECIFIC point. Game doesn't give enough feedback and doesn't have large enough hitboxes for the things you're supposed to look at. I think that's the real problem, not the fact that there are sequences where you have to look around.

Samus Accomplishes Nothing - She kills the Metroid Queen (not to mention a bunch of large monsters). She protects Madeline Bergman. The only things she doesn't do are kill MB (that was Madeline, which was more fitting), doesn't kill Ridley (though she trounces him really bad, and like I said, it wouldn't be any fun to kill something that's just lying in the corner bleeding to death), and doesn't take out Sector Zero. Out of these, Sector Zero is the only one that I don't like. For this to work, Samus has to realize that it's impossible - she has to try as hard as she can, fight, and then Adam realizes the only way to do the rest is to sacrifice himself.

Deleter Subplot - I don't see what the problem is. James was the Deleter. He was hired to stop the secret from getting out (he doesn't kill anybody until they find out about the bioweapons). James was killed by Melissa. KG was never found because he was incinerated in the lava. If you don't like the story, ok, but I don't see why the plot is pointless or unresolved.
The sleep of Reason produces monsters.

"Until next time..."
Captain Commando

mehe

Gamma Metroid

Postby mehe » 12.11.10 5:19pm

The ending after I killed the Metroid queen. Extremely anti-climatic and left me with this face: >.>

And the lack of new ideas in terms of enviroment. Chozo ruins in 3D with good Other M graphics would be epic and you can never get enough of Chozo. It was really just forest, ice, and fire....like that hasn't been done before by a bagillion other games...
"As your commander I forbid wearing anything but the Zero Suit in this next Sector. You must also wear a blindfold and crawl on all fours until I authorize bipedal movement."

Trishbot

Gamma Metroid

Postby Trishbot » 12.11.10 5:41pm

Here's the points I disagree with:

Authorization System - Again, I don't see why this is a problem. It's a clever solution to item collection and getting the player used to their items. Varia Suit was the only place where it mattered (that, and maybe the Wave Beam and putting the Grapple Beam into context). Also, how PB's aren't used until the VERY END. I don't see how taking orders from A Man makes the game sexist, either. She respects the guy. They have a history.

No final fight with Ridley - A second fight would have been more of the same - the last Ridley fight was awesome enough. Plus, he was pretty much dead by then, so it's not like there would have been much to kill - he's lying in the corner bleeding to death and doesn't even TRY to spit fire at the Metroid Queen. Just how fun would it have been, really? It's like kicking a cripple. Fighting the Queen was even better than fighting Ridley a second time. Is the problem the way it's presented, or did you just want to kill him dead? (Ironically, Samus seems to have a problem doing that anyway...)

Pixel Hunts - I don't think it's the pixel hunt that's the problem, but rather the hitboxes for the targets are so small - and you have to look at a SPECIFIC point. Game doesn't give enough feedback and doesn't have large enough hitboxes for the things you're supposed to look at. I think that's the real problem, not the fact that there are sequences where you have to look around.

Samus Accomplishes Nothing - She kills the Metroid Queen (not to mention a bunch of large monsters). She protects Madeline Bergman. The only things she doesn't do are kill MB (that was Madeline, which was more fitting), doesn't kill Ridley (though she trounces him really bad, and like I said, it wouldn't be any fun to kill something that's just lying in the corner bleeding to death), and doesn't take out Sector Zero. Out of these, Sector Zero is the only one that I don't like. For this to work, Samus has to realize that it's impossible - she has to try as hard as she can, fight, and then Adam realizes the only way to do the rest is to sacrifice himself.

Deleter Subplot - I don't see what the problem is. James was the Deleter. He was hired to stop the secret from getting out (he doesn't kill anybody until they find out about the bioweapons). James was killed by Melissa. KG was never found because he was incinerated in the lava. If you don't like the story, ok, but I don't see why the plot is pointless or unresolved.
I don't think you really do disagree with these opinions. :P Because I agree with most of what you said.

Authorization - Is NOT a bad idea. It's a GREAT idea, actually. But, like most of the game, it was poorly executed. If they had tackled it more intelligently, it could've been very effective. Simple things could've made the authorization work wonders, like, off the top of my head, scenes where Adam mentions past missions where she used her ice beam or power bombs on another mission, the "hell run" could've been explained with a simple "there's a monster here that's stronger than the Varia suit's shield levels. You need to reach it and kill it", or the wave beam could've been activated, you know, not after turning around from a dead-end. Even better is if they put reasons in the game for Samus NOT to activate her powers. Say, "this area is full of highly volatile explosives. Don't use your missiles until we clear the area" or "I detect sensitive electric equipment here in this area. Don't use your wave beam" or even "it'll take time to activate these grapple points to support your weight and armor. Don't use the grapple beam until these points stabilize." See? That took 10 seconds to think up.

2nd Fight with Ridley - I agree... but he didn't HAVE to be that way at the end of the game. He could've been stronger, meaner, faster... we could've fought him and really messed him up, and THEN, when he was near death, have MB finish his pathetic, beaten butt off. There's no reason Ridley had to be so weak and pathetic when you see him last. He could've raised the stakes even higher and, you know, proved Adam was right when he said "only you can stop Ridley".... cause we didn't. That was a bold-faced lie.

Pixel-Hunts - Again, this COULD'VE been a good idea if it was executed well. Again, Batman: Arkham Asylum used these to great effect to investigate a crime scene. The difference was that the game helped you find what you were looking for by narrowing your search field, allowed you to move around to make it interactive, and then used what you discovered to assist you in the game rather than to be an arbitrary stopping block for us to crash into. If they had approached it like that, I wouldn't have minded these segments at all.

Samus Accomplishes Nothing - I agree... she accomplishes SOME things... but not the BIG things. When we play a game, we're accustomed to being the main hero, the one that defeats the big bad villains and saves the day. In Other M, both Ridley and MB are defeated by OTHER people, ADAM is the one that destroys the Sector Zero and Metroids inside, and ANTHONY is the one that comes in at the end to save your dejected butt from the Federation's downtalk, scoffing, and accusations, and probably the one that stops the ship and alerts the Federation to come in to save the day too. Samus is, for the most part, a third-party onlooker to the entire operation. She's a passive observer but not truly an active player that leaves the most lingering influence on the outcome of the game. She wasn't useless, but you can't argue that Samus could've been a LOT more involved and to have had a much bigger hand in shaping the outcome of the game's story.

Deleter Subplot - Again, the problem with the Deleter plot isn't so much that it exists but more so that, in the end, nothing was really accomplished that couldn't have been accomplished if it had been removed. If the Deleter had been replaced with, say, Ridley, would the story change in any way, whatsoever? Or if MB had been the one going around killing people (would YOU expect this unarmed little girl to be a killer), wouldn't that tie things together better? And wouldn't it have been better if Samus had been there to finish off the Deleter or see his death? After all, while we know James was the Deleter, Samus, for all we know, thinks KG did it because his body was never found.

Troid

Metroid Queen

Postby Troid » 12.11.10 5:52pm

Samus Accomplishes Nothing
That was it for me.

I was fine with a lot of the other things mentioned here. Varia-less volcano, authorization in general, postgame, etc. The pixel hunts were annoying, but not horrible.
She didn't even destroy big bad MB herself
You don't tell someone 'hey! there's this really awesome boss over here!' and then proceed to not let them fight it.
When was Melissa ever set up as a boss? I never once expected to fight her.
Image Melissa Image

KingBroly

Ridley

Postby KingBroly » 12.11.10 6:01pm

KG's body was never found because he didn't die. The cutscene where he "dies" is a fabrication. Look at the location, the deleter's visor and think about how the Deleter and KG would have to get there from the time when the fight reaches its' second phase and the cutscene. The timing and methods for both to get there are impossible. The deleter's visor shows the splash which you hear and not the body. In addition to this, KG dies "off-screen" just like Adam and Anthony. When that happens, the person that dies usually isn't dead. In fact, when you finish fighting the forklift, I'd say Adam is almost intentionally leading you away from the deleter.

I agree that Samus does "nothing" except destroy every major threat on the Bottle Ship...just like the Deleter wanted to do. Samus tells us as much.

As for not fighting Ridley, because of Fusion I'm okay with it, but I'm also not okay with it. I guess Sakamoto thought it was noble of Samus not just to kick his dried-up husk so it'd disintegrate like husks in other Metroid games do. It'd also be hilarious for Samus to go "Samus used Kick. It's a Critical Hit! Ridley faints. Samus gains 846 XP."

Pixel hunts are a good idea. Some are just bad. Some just aren't needed. Like finding Ridley's second husk. What's the freaking point? "Okay guys, look at the insanely obvious object that's directly in front of you."

Authorization system. It's lazy writing as it stands now. I could make it out to be Metroidshock if you let me. Although the Hell Run is fun from a gameplay standpoint, unlike Dark Aether.
Even the strongest of people can have their faith broken. Mine has.

Satch

Kraid

Postby Satch » 12.11.10 6:10pm

KG IS DEAD
Image Image
IF ADAM WANTS A GIRL TO ****ING DANCE, HE SHOULD JUST GO TO A STRIP CLUB. ~Doc Scratch

Return to “%s” Metroid: Other M