The part of Other M that pissed you off the most

Discuss anything related to Metroid: Other M here!
TheChosenOne

Alpha Metroid

Re: The part of Other M that pissed you off the most

Postby TheChosenOne » 01.19.16 1:03am

I can't help but feel that we're all just saying the same things here...
You're only the best until someone better comes along. You're the first forever.

Apothem

Postby Apothem » 01.19.16 8:07am

It can be an echo chamber at times. Though there's a certain sense of catharsis in that. It's almost impossible to have a proper discussion about this game. It either devolves into bickering or everyone's already of the same mind. There's very little room in-between extremes.

Big Guy

Metroid Queen

Postby Big Guy » 01.19.16 10:00am

The first post in this topic was made in August 2010. At this point we've said everything there is to say, but we're still pretty pissed about Other M so we just keep saying it to get it out of our system.
This is pretty much true for all topics on this forum. Without a major release in the Metroid franchise in almost 6 years there isn't much left to talk about. It's just 10 or 20 people that have stuck around long enough that we've grown kind of attached to the place.
Hello.

Liz Lemon

Egg

Postby Liz Lemon » 01.20.16 12:51am

The first post in this topic was made in August 2010. At this point we've said everything there is to say, but we're still pretty pissed about Other M so we just keep saying it to get it out of our system.
This is pretty much true for all topics on this forum. Without a major release in the Metroid franchise in almost 6 years there isn't much left to talk about. It's just 10 or 20 people that have stuck around long enough that we've grown kind of attached to the place.
I'm new so this is the first time I've ever actually talked about Other M with other Metroid Fans. My non-Metroid fan friends have heard all of my rants and fan-girling.

I guess I could try to add a new perspective in regard to the Samus/Adam relationship. :adam: :zss:

Upon watching 30 Rock reruns and replaying Metroid, I got this bizarre image in my head one day of Adam staring thoughtfully out of a window and swirling his scotch as Samus stands behind him in glasses and a purple sweater. Adam takes a sip of his scotch and says, "Any objections, Lemon?"

Well, hopefully that was at least original. I personally like it better than the Fifty Shades of Malkovich they had in Other M.

TheAccursedHunter01

Zeta Metroid

Postby TheAccursedHunter01 » 01.20.16 2:25am

At the very least, we'll never let Nintendo forget about it. I'm still not sure exactly what Nintendo considers Other M though. Shortly after it's launch, Nintendo knew people were mad, said they were trying to figure out why, and then said nothing about it for years. They seemed to have shoved it under the rug like it was the DMC2 of the series. Other M might as well be a DMC2 equivalent in the story department, the rest of the game is average at worst to me. Despite this, when Smash came around at least 70% of the Metroid stuff in Smash 4 is from Other M, as if Nintendo considers it another great entry in a storied franchise. I'm not sure if they really looked into why fans didn't like Other M or not. They seem to flip back and forth between what they use to represent Samus. On posters you see Other M Samus, yet other times you see Prime Samus, like with the Jack's Pacific Samus figures and Samus' icon in Mario Kart 8 when you select the Samus Mii Outfit, it's the Prime 1 box art Samus.

The only thing from Other M I'd like to see come back is the gameplay if it's expanded upon, like add a Nunchuk or use the Gamepad. Maybe use just the 3D part of Other M instead of being able to switch from Third to First Person. That way you could use the Wiimote to aim and lock onto specific targets if the auto aim is giving you fits(the auto aim's pretty good though). Not sure what to do about the camera, because if you want to head backwards in Other M, you ain't gonna she a damn thing. Whenever I think of Other M I think of missed potential. I really want to like the gameplay, but there are so many little things that are wrong the like the B button doing two things in First Person turn me off after awhile. The story could have been good given the premise of Samus' past coming back to haunt her in a way she didn't expect, especially if you changed it to a Space Pirate station instead of a GF one, might have made Adam's "sacrifice" meaningful.

Apothem

Postby Apothem » 01.20.16 8:14pm

@Liz Lemon: Don't be afraid to speak your mind. Compliment or condemnation, we may have nearly heard it all but it doesn't mean we won't listen again. Some of us anyway. Mostly me, as that's a scab I keep reflexively picking at. I know what it's like to feel passionately about something - Metroid/Other M in particular, videogames in general - no matter how silly it may seem, and have no one to personally discuss it with. It's an isolating, stifling feeling. That's why so many people overreact on the internet; they're in desperate need of an outlet for their emotion and they likely have no other. Doesn't excuse how some act and what some do, but if Other M taught me anything it's what it feels like to be driven to the brink of just such a point.

Speak your piece but be mindful of criticism. Not everyone here agrees on this particular topic, though we're mostly civilized bout it.

What's more, I continue to stand by what I've repeatedly said here and beyond: If we had another proper Metroid game, for good or ill, no one would care about M:OM anymore. We'd have something new to gush over and/or hate. Why these companies can never (seem) to learn that simple lesson is beyond me. Admittedly we could - and oh so hopefully do - have something better coming our way, but Nintendo's been so insufferably silent on the series that it leaves we fans to furiously stew in our own dejection.

Federation Force, whatever its quality, isn't going to fill that void. That game's an appetizer at best. We need a full course meal.

metroidsuperfan11

Gamma Metroid

Postby metroidsuperfan11 » 01.22.16 7:50pm

Lets assume that in this alternate reality I've thought of is real ... Just bare with me.

In this alternate universe some thoughts can be physcially manifested, destroyed and then wiped off existence and can't be regained by others in the future nor will anyone remember, entire things could be altered when/ if this happens. Not everything in this universe can physcially manifest and thus some things can't be undone. In this universe I would burn to the ground those abomination tree beasts. The game would litterally increase in quality without those horrible ... Horrible abominations. It wouldn't fix the story too much. The story would still be bad and it would still have problems but it's quality would factually increase.

Also ridley made me rage for a while during hard mode if that counts.

TheChosenOne

Alpha Metroid

Postby TheChosenOne » 01.22.16 10:49pm

Despite this, when Smash came around at least 70% of the Metroid stuff in Smash 4 is from Other M, as if Nintendo considers it another great entry in a storied franchise.
Well...not surprising, really. A.) The most recent Metroid game, B.) It hadn't been released when Brawl came out, so none of its content had appeared in a Smash game before, and C.) along the lines of the other two, it gave them some new Metroid characters to make into trophies. Brawl had a huge variety of Metroid material to catch up on because there had been 6 Metroid games released since Melee (7 if you include Pinball).

And I don't think Nintendo treats Other M as though it was a great entry. Naturally, they wouldn't want to just straight up say they made a mistake by releasing it, but I think the massive gap we've seen in the series since Other M is evidence that they know they need to rethink some things. They've said they've had trouble organizing a team to make a new one. I'm not sure if that's more the developers being afraid to touch it, or Nintendo not wanting to take the chance. Either way, they clearly haven't been seeing Metroid as a lucrative opportunity lately, and I think Other M is a huge part of that.
You're only the best until someone better comes along. You're the first forever.

Return to “%s” Metroid: Other M