Other M Gameplay on 3DS (not a port)

Discuss anything related to Metroid: Other M here!
-ChozoChild-

Ridley

Re: Other M Gameplay on 3DS

Postby -ChozoChild- » 12.23.10 3:10pm

I'd rather have a remake of Metroid II or a new Metroid game for the 3DS then a hand-held M:OM.
ImageImage
Image Bored...? Use TUMBLR-TROID!

Archaic

Alpha Metroid

Postby Archaic » 12.23.10 3:48pm

again, this isnt about other m, its about other m's gameplay mechaics applying to new metroid games on the 3DS
Record for shortest post ever?

-ChozoChild-

Ridley

Postby -ChozoChild- » 12.23.10 4:00pm

again, this isnt about other m, its about other m's gameplay mechaics applying to new metroid games on the 3DS
My mistake. The use of controls you thought of were pretty good. I can't really think of ways to change it. Some of the other suggestions were good too.
ImageImage
Image Bored...? Use TUMBLR-TROID!

Doc Scratch

Omega Metroid

Re: Other M Gameplay on 3DS (not a port)

Postby Doc Scratch » 12.23.10 7:51pm

Why have a 3D game when Metroid fans want a 2(.5)D game?

Yes, Other M's style of play COULD transition well to the 3DS. That doesn't mean we SHOULD have an Other M style game on the 3DS.
Suckers.

ddddd

Gamma Metroid

Postby ddddd » 12.24.10 12:40pm

well, if it goes 1st and 3rd on the screens, D-Pad could be for movement and analog for aiming...
If you do that, it would be very uncomfortable to move and aim at the same time.

Dryn

Zeta Metroid

Postby Dryn » 12.27.10 1:29pm

Other M's gameplay style could be retrofitted quite nicely to the 3DS, or DS for that matter.

Left Trigger: toggle 1st person
Right Trigger: lock on
D-pad/Analog Stick: move
A: jump
B: shoot
Y: Morphball
X: Map

one problem is that the DS screen is rather small and low resolution and samus and the enemies could be difficult to see.

what are your thoughts? Would you like to see a portable metroid in other M style? Can you see any problems with this concept?
Yours needs some fixing. What you could do is implement what Retro Studios did with the controls while in first-person.

Y: Fire beams; fire missiles/super missiles if selected; lay bombs in Morph Ball mode.
X: Cancel selected weapons.
B: Jump.
A: Enter/exit Morph Ball mode.
L: Toggle to first-person and back to third-person.
R: Lock-on; in third-person, Samus would auto-aim.
Start: Map screen; Samus inventory if you press R; sleep mode if you press L.
Select: Toggle selectable items.
Analog: Allows Samus to move.
D-pad: Visors?

Archaic

Alpha Metroid

Postby Archaic » 12.28.10 1:16pm

its sad that no one from nintendo will actually see this, because that scheme looks fun
Record for shortest post ever?

KingBroly

Ridley

Postby KingBroly » 12.30.10 7:55am

I believe Start/Select on the 3DS is below the touch screen so that'd be sort of uncomfortable.
Even the strongest of people can have their faith broken. Mine has.

Dryn

Zeta Metroid

Postby Dryn » 12.30.10 1:26pm

I believe Start/Select on the 3DS is below the touch screen so that'd be sort of uncomfortable.
It's on a minor thing. You could use the D-pad, I suppose. That just seems like a filler space, though. Could you imagine pressing any direction to use your missiles, super missiles, power bombs, or whatever?

Metoroid0

Mochtroid

Postby Metoroid0 » 10.27.13 3:02am

I think it would be cool to make top screen to be 3rd person view and bottom screen to be 3rd person view simultaneously :D

Remnants

Metroid Queen

Postby Remnants » 10.27.13 10:31am

I think it would be cool to make top screen to be 3rd person view and bottom screen to be 3rd person view simultaneously :D
Um, I think you wanted to say that one screen first person view and another screen third person view. So which screen is first person view?

Bomber Bob

Metroid

Postby Bomber Bob » 05.12.14 7:10pm

This would be easy to solve.

Things I think need to happen on a DS version

• Perspective Switch button would be on the 2nd screen
• You could choose to show the HUD on the 1st or 2nd screen
• the Map would be a toggle button on the 2nd screen; toggling between it and the HUD, should you pick the option to display the latter on the 2nd screen
• Map would be navigated by touching the 2nd screen
• Sense Move would be triggered by pushing L and R simultaneously; too many people would have issues pushing 2 buttons at once on the gamepad fast enough
• Camera zooms in during combat to compensate for the smaller screen; zooms back out when out of combat
• Highlights would be added on certain objects to compensate for the smaller screen
EDIT:
If you get to fight Phantoon, it will add a demo of Super where you fight Phantoon; the game would explain that this is the same boss that you just fought in Other: M, that way they can get a glimpse of the roots of Metroid
------------------

Things I would love to see, but will never happen

• Gravity Suit has its original colors from Super
• Could choose between Other: M shoulders or the classic, big round shoulders
• Co-op could be added; 1st player would have standard shoulder pieces, 2nd player would have flat shoulders like on Prime 1's Power Suit (If you made it the classic, big round shoulders, there would be waaay too many people arguing to play as 2nd player)
• Add an option to show the Other: M helmet or the Prime helmet when in 1st-person (It'll never happen, but a fan can have his own world)
• Add a speed run mode; automatically upload your time to Nintendo, where everyone can see them
Bomber
Bob BB
Designed by God in Heaven. Yay

Games:

1. Metroid;
3. Super Metroid;
6. Metroid: Zero Mission;
5. Metroid Prime;
9. Metroid Prime 2: Echoes;
10. Metroid Prime 3: Corruption;
7. Metroid Prime: Hunters;
11. Metroid: Other M;

I have 8/11 Metroids... Just 3 more to go.

Return to “%s” Metroid: Other M