Metroid other M music

Discuss anything related to Metroid: Other M here!
DarkPhazonElite

Zeta Metroid

Re: Metroid other M music

Postby DarkPhazonElite » 05.25.12 3:30pm

I think Other M's music was decent and fitting, but in my opinion it does not stack up to Prime 1 (even Prime 2). I also agree that the ending theme for Other M was really good. At the same time I think the song that gives me the biggest chills is Prime 3's title theme. MOM's 'Piano Medley' almost moves me to tears. I also really love the Other M wii loader. (The little jingle that plays when you select the game in the Wii Menu. I love that!! <3

Mayan Mystery

Gamma Metroid

Postby Mayan Mystery » 07.10.12 2:44pm

Personally I think the other m soundtrack wasn't too bad. It might have worked better in a metroid movie, but being in a video game, it's hard to actually listen to more complex music while concentrating on the game. They are somewhat dry as pieces on their own since they of course were designed to be repetitive. The only two pieces that really stand on their own are the credits and the piano melody which are both very good. A few more remixes would have been nice and maybe they didn't need to go as far as hiring the Asian philharmonic to play for the game. A smaller orchestra would have suited the game just as fine if not better.

Nefariax

Gamma Metroid

Postby Nefariax » 09.05.12 5:16pm

For the most part, Other M's soundtrack was a big disappointment. However, there are about a dozen tracks I really do like. I'm sure I do not need to mention the notoriety of the Ridley theme in this game, no? <3
Last edited by Nefariax on 09.06.12 9:04am, edited 1 time in total.
Be not proud of what you make, but what impact it leaves on others.
If a fucking horseshoe crab is nearly killing you in one hit, there's something wrong with this "incredibly powerful" bounty hunter.
~HYRUL3

Chris

Kraid

Postby Chris » 09.06.12 3:53am

For the most part, Other M's soundtrack was a big disappointing. However, there are about a dozen tracks I really do like. I'm sure I do not need to mention the notoriety of the Ridley theme in this game, no? <3
I don't recall there being more than around a dozen tracks in the game, either my bad memory or forgettable generic music.

Nefariax

Gamma Metroid

Postby Nefariax » 09.06.12 9:15am

For the most part, Other M's soundtrack was a big disappointing. However, there are about a dozen tracks I really do like. I'm sure I do not need to mention the notoriety of the Ridley theme in this game, no? <3
I don't recall there being more than around a dozen tracks in the game, either my bad memory or forgettable generic music.
I can easily recall some themes in my head: Ridley's theme, mystery creature battle, Zebesian battle, Desbrachian battle, one of the enemy battle themes, the title theme, the ending theme, the recap theme when you start up your game again, and the Queen Metroid/Phantoon boss theme.

Seems like the memorable stuff was rather situational, where everything else was atmospheric (perhaps a bit too much).
Be not proud of what you make, but what impact it leaves on others.
If a fucking horseshoe crab is nearly killing you in one hit, there's something wrong with this "incredibly powerful" bounty hunter.
~HYRUL3

Lucid Flower

Zeta Metroid

Postby Lucid Flower » 07.26.13 11:51am

Sorry for asking. I have looked and looked and can't find the thread (if it still exists) where someone......maybe Capcom? isolated the voice and SFX from the music in the live action commercial.

The drive that I had it on failed, and I never had it backed up anywhere. If anyone has it can you upload it someplace please! Thanks. :cookie:
Those who follow rules, have failed to follow their hearts.-Me
-I often find it easier to find truth in the dark. Where others failed to see, or are afraid to look.

TheAccursedHunter01

Zeta Metroid

Postby TheAccursedHunter01 » 08.19.13 8:32pm

I'll give the soundtrack this, as a whole, it is rather good on it's own and in the game. However, to me, the music makes it seem like I'm playing a horror game. Sorry to say, but I can't really get scared while playing as Samus fuckng Aran coming back from Super Metroid at full power(I know about the authorization debacle, but the point is Samus has all of her upgrades minus the X-Ray Scope, Hyper Beam, and High Jump Boots since they were nowhere to be found). The other thing is that some of the pieces are genuinely creepy, while others sound like generic Hollywood Blockbuster frantic music like the Space Pirate"Theme" which is dwarfed by the Prme 1 Pirate Theme. Mostly for me, the music is atmospheric, but that's about it. The beauty of Metroid music is that they are atmospheric yet still catchy tunes or beautiful music scores to listen to in their own right. Lower Norfair in Super let you know that you are in the hottest part of Norfair, that is completely under the control of the Space Pirates and Ridley is hiding somewhere in there. It's fast, upbeat, but intense and foreboding to keep you on your toes. The Phazon Mines in Prime maybe a short loop, but it's catchy, and somewhat subdued, making you feel that you're in Space Pirate territory now, so watch your ass. Then there's the main theme to Phendrana Drifts. It is a beautiful piece, giving off the sense that you've stepped into a huge, "tranquil" ice sheet, with the nearby Chozo Ruins being slowly froze over. Let's not forget the first Tallon Overworld Theme when you first step foot on the planet. Immediately gives you the feeling you've stepped onto and exciting new world, full of wonders to explore. I could go on, but the point is that all of these songs and many more are incredibly atmospheric yet catchy, memorable, hummable tunes on their own right. Most of the Other M tunes are atmospheric, yes, but I wouldn't listen to any of those while waiting on the train or bus or something. There are definitely some stand out tracks like the Ridley theme and the piano theme you hear after beating the game, but how many other tunes like that are there? The one atmospheric piece in Other M I can recall and actually enjoyed was when you approached the Ki Hunter Queen and Sector Zero, kinda had an 80s vibe with the synthesizer.

Emperor Ing

Nightmare

Postby Emperor Ing » 08.19.13 9:24pm

The two tracks you mentioned are indeed my favorite tracks in the game. While I like the Pirate theme in Other M, the Prime Pirate battle theme mops the floor with it; the first sending the message across that you are fighting insane technophile aliens and the latter saying you are fighting more lifeless drones on a ship full of them.

The atmopsheric tracks are quite effective, but as you said, there really could have stood to be more melody and thematic motifs going on, like the older Metroid games, or the Prime games.

I was excited when they revealed that they were bringing on Kuniaki Haishima for the score, and while I think he did a fairly good job, it was much too much a movie soundtrack. Which is supposedly fitting, considering :YS: 's cinematic ambitions with the game.
must be some sorta side effect of the hatchling or maybe she should stop going down on Miyamoto.

Ridley.Prime

Egg

Postby Ridley.Prime » 08.21.13 9:01am

The music was practically non-existent unless it was a cutscene or a boss-fight. It was only when I was fighting Ridley during my second run I was like 'Oh hey! This game has music!'
Sure, it was orchestrated and all that, but it wasn't very... there. Only bosses had noticeable music, and the ending/credits.
She rocks. Deal with it.

TheAccursedHunter01

Zeta Metroid

Postby TheAccursedHunter01 » 08.21.13 3:42pm

The music was practically non-existent unless it was a cutscene or a boss-fight. It was only when I was fighting Ridley during my second run I was like 'Oh hey! This game has music!'
Sure, it was orchestrated and all that, but it wasn't very... there. Only bosses had noticeable music, and the ending/credits.
I agree with you completely on that with a few(meaning 1-3) exceptions. Also note that the boss music is either repeated for several bosses or several boss tunes sound very much alike. Once again, the boss tunes fall under the generic hollywood blockbuster tracks category along with the rest of the soundtrack aside from Ridley's theme which is pretty damn good, the diamond in the ruff if you will.

Zynux

Super Metroid

Postby Zynux » 08.22.13 3:34am

Not sure if I mentioned this before, but I really like the Cryosphere theme, and probably the only atmospheric song I like in the game.
"Cut! There are no second chances for actors that fall to the abyss. Await your second casting in the darkness forever." - The Night of Wallachia

Ridley prepping his body for Other M

gbf2000

Hatchling

Postby gbf2000 » 01.08.15 7:33am

Other M is also my 3rd favourite Metroid game, but I have mixed opinions about the music. Most of it is only environmental music with almost no melody (although it gives a certain isolation feeling) but it also has some cool tracks like the boss themes, the staff roll track and the good ol' escape theme.
"I'd rather die than lose my life" - Someone

metroidsuperfan11

Gamma Metroid

Postby metroidsuperfan11 » 03.12.15 4:06pm

only pieces I really noticed were the sector zero escape sequence and ridily's theme. Other than that I was too focased on the gameplay to notice the other music but from those two pieces I think they were pretty good.

Zynux

Super Metroid

Postby Zynux » 03.12.15 6:47pm

Rhedogian Boss - Fast paced theme that gets me pumped.
Cryosphere - Song exudes a fantastic atmosphere.
Ridley Theme - Self-explanatory. Without a doubt the best rendition of this theme.
Final Boss theme - Generic and short, but I still really like it all the same.

Staff credits - Got a lot of criticism in the early Other M days for sounding too "Disney", and I agree that it kind of feels out of place but the score itself is really well composed.

I thought some of the Sector themes had good atmosphere to them too.
"Cut! There are no second chances for actors that fall to the abyss. Await your second casting in the darkness forever." - The Night of Wallachia

Ridley prepping his body for Other M

Doc Scratch

Omega Metroid

Postby Doc Scratch » 04.03.15 8:51pm

Other M's soundtrack is forgettable at best and ear-splitting at worst. I can't imagine calling it the best in the series because I can't even imagine someone being able to fondly remember any track beyond the Ridley theme.
Suckers.

Return to “%s” Metroid: Other M