TheGamingBrit's videos

Discuss anything related to Metroid: Other M here!
vampe13

Mochtroid

TheGamingBrit's videos

Postby vampe13 » 05.29.12 5:28pm

I never expected the Thegamingbrit's videos to be posted in the Metroiddatabase's news :D

I saw these 2 videos two-three weeks ago. Within the first few seconds of the first video, I honestly believed that this was gonna be a HUGE nonsensical rant (I mean the way it starts off is pretty aggressive XD). But I quickly realized that the video points to very, VERY important points concerning Other M. I hope many of you don't decide to not watch the videos simply because of their tone (2nd video is less aggressive though). They are very educative, imo.

When I played Other M for the first time, I beat it quickly and found it overall decent. But as time went on, and the more I thought about it, the more and more I began realizing ''just WHAT was it that I played??''. I started discovering just how inferior of a Metroid experience it was compared to past Metroid titles. It left a bad taste in my mouth.
And thegamingbrit's videos talk about so many things that I felt and/or realized during and after I played Other M. The first video mostly talks about story and Samus' character, with a bit of gameplay talk.

The second video does exactly what I've been doing since I beat Other M: comparing the Prime games with Other M and realizing the Prime series did so much more in so many aspects/categories.

Overall, the videos do make one thing clear: Other M is vastly inferior to what we have been served and accustomed to in the past years.

I wish to hear the opinions from the fans on Metroiddatabase on what they think about the videos. Hopefully we can keep this at a stable, non-violent topic :)

Infinity's End

MDB Staff - Designer

Re: TheGamingBrit's videos

Postby Infinity's End » 05.29.12 5:36pm

Thanks for joining the forum, vamp. I appreciate you wanting to discuss this, but I think this thread would be much more appropriate in the Other M section. Thus, I'm going to be moving it there. I may chime in from time to time on my thoughts, but no guarantees.

I just hope people can stay on topic and discuss what's covered in the videos themselves.
If you want to discuss Other M's plot or how you feel about the game overall, we have plenty of other threads covering those topics.
ImageVisit our DA Gallery! A LOT of unique artworks and still growing!
A piece of concept art is not a legally binding contract.

Dryn

Zeta Metroid

Postby Dryn » 05.29.12 6:20pm

I didn't watch the first video, but I watched the second video because from what I read in the MDb Headlines, it seemed the second video would be preferable. I like MOM, but I found myself agreeing with the points TGB made, especially about Samus' body language and how the player didn't need to be told what was going on in order to understand. And yeah, the MP intro theme is really fantastic. I kind of laughed about MOM's intro theme being placed in other games.

DarkPhazonElite

Zeta Metroid

Postby DarkPhazonElite » 05.29.12 7:15pm

I have to say that the Prime series was about as fantastic as games can get. Other M was good. The story was really clunky but I still really enjoy the game itself. I can't watch the videos just yet, 'cause I have no sound. :(

Aiddon

Metroid

Postby Aiddon » 05.29.12 9:32pm

at one point I found videos like these to be annoying. Now I find them to be kind of sad.

Angry Toaster

Mochtroid

Postby Angry Toaster » 05.30.12 4:23am

Snarky Reply:

I agree with the video completely, movies like Other M are the reason Syfy Channel is going down the tubes.
Cybershark vs Croczilla 3 was way better anyway.

Less Snarky Reply:

Videos like this never help anything but the critic's ego. And I find my response to them is always the same, a combination of "Duh" "So?" and "You forgot X." They can be fun if you take a drink every time you hear "failed" and "dumbed down" though.

Other M certainly had far weaker art direction than Prime, but it also had a much more ambitious gameplay concept. I remember describing Prime one as first person Zelda. Combat was geared towards aggressive gunplay. Any damage you couldn't shrug off could be quickly sidestepped. You charged after most opponents to dispatch them without any concern they might harm you. But don't think I'm complaining. They made it work by making your energy supply a resource to be managed rather than life meter. Light crystals in mp2 and hypermode in mp3 are examples. Given X ammo/life, you had to land Y damage on target(s) without running out.

Back in the platforming days, evasion was more emphasized. Energy beams and falcon-kicking zebesians would take you down if you didn't spinjump out the way. Other M comes close to recreating that same feel. Fights are spent dodging tail sweeps and missile attacks, waiting for the moment you can safely get off a shot. The experience translates directly from the platform Metroids, as well as other platform shooters such as Mega Man.

My hope is that Nintendo will pull a Blizzard, ignoring all the negative response and realizing what a prize they have in Other M. There's a lot of potential in the design doc of this game. All you need to do is tune out the fan-bawwing and crummy B movie art direction. I'm certainly looking forward to such a sequel.

Stupid Non-Sequitur Reply:

I can't bring myself to hate Other M. Prolly because I see Malkovich as a more genre savvy version of Cmd Shepard. He realized he wasn't space-marine enough to tackle the baddies, so he let Samus take over. The line about him not being a galactic savior, merely human, almost seems like a direct dig.

Naner

Dark Samus

Postby Naner » 05.30.12 6:09am

Since a new thread was created for this topic, let me quote what I said in another thread:
[...] it brings up once again what I've been saying for a long time now: While Other M might not have been a great game, it certainly wasn't a bad one. Far worse games have been made, but this one just had the issue of being in a series that - with the exception of two spinoff titles - had been comprised of nothing but top-notch titles.

And that's why comparing it to the Prime games is borderline silly: The Prime Trilogy is a masterpiece. It's simply one of the best examples of a brilliantly executed videogame trilogy or series in general. Honestly, we'd be really lucky to ever have a set of Metroid games as great and well tied-up as those three again and we should be proud that it happened in our beloved series.
His points are mostly agreeable. But it's almost impossible for them not to be: Other M is an OK game for general standards and really not what we wanted from a Metroid game. The Prime Trilogy is overall amazing for the whole industry.

Other M did get a few things right that the trilogy didn't. In particular, Samus' movement, for being in a third-person perspective, is much more athletic and suitable with what we've come to expect from the 2D games. And while Samus' movement and poses really were awkward in most "dialog" cutscenes, they were brilliant in most of the action ones.

What I'm saying is: It's not better than the Prime Trilogy, of course not. But then again, the vast majority of games we play and enjoy aren't, because those games set a standard too high. Enjoy the game for what it's worth. And don't worry: the next one won't be like it.
Naner, you rock.
My Facebook
Shinesparkers

vampe13

Mochtroid

Postby vampe13 » 05.30.12 10:58pm

at one point I found videos like these to be annoying. Now I find them to be kind of sad.
You really didnt find anything positive or interesting to learn from both videos? Oh well.
Other M certainly had far weaker art direction than Prime, but it also had a much more ambitious gameplay concept.

Back in the platforming days, evasion was more emphasized. Energy beams and falcon-kicking zebesians would take you down if you didn't spinjump out the way. Other M comes close to recreating that same feel. Fights are spent dodging tail sweeps and missile attacks, waiting for the moment you can safely get off a shot. The experience translates directly from the platform Metroids, as well as other platform shooters such as Mega Man.
I see what you mean, and I would agree with you completely, but sadly the gameplay mechanics was badly implemented/designed: you can make Samus invincible by button mashing the Dpad, giving you the chance to beat the game without ever getting touched. This completely puts me off from any sense of platforming in my opinion :(
Other M did get a few things right that the trilogy didn't. In particular, Samus' movement, for being in a third-person perspective, is much more athletic and suitable with what we've come to expect from the 2D games. And while Samus' movement and poses really were awkward in most "dialog" cutscenes, they were brilliant in most of the action ones.
Her running is something that I had a problem with since Metroid Zero Mission. She moves so quickly that she runs through entire rooms in so little time, not giving me the chance to admire the environment she is traversing (not that Other M has anything to admire in terms of environment). I miss her slower speed from Super Metroid. With Prime, her somewhat slow speed allowed me to dig in the sweet visuals of the worlds :3
I didn't watch the first video, but I watched the second video because from what I read in the MDb Headlines, it seemed the second video would be preferable.

One of the most important points in the first video is the direct conflict there seems to be with how people treat Samus in Other M despite the fact that, at that point in time (near the end of the Metroid series story), Samus has accomplished SO much to at least deserve a high level of fame and respect (she took care of Zebes twice, defeated the Metroid Prime, fought off 6 bounty hunters and defeated a cancerous being, saved Aether from the Ing, Pirates and Dark Samus, led the Federation to war against a Pirate Homeworld and destroyed Dark Samus, rendered the Metroid species extinct). If you noticed, no one in the entire game praises her for her past deeds. The marines she meets are like ''meh''. In Prime 3, remember how some soldiers were like ''Is it true you took out an entire planet of Pirates!?'', or how Admiral Dane quietly nods at Samus cause he knows how she can get the job done? Thats the respect I find Samus deserves.

Other than that, most of the first video's points can be seen in another video. This one I find is more ''fair'' and discussed in a non-raging tone = http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKV1ADy-F3k

I enjoyed reading everyone's point of view! I'll be checking in from time to time.

Dryn

Zeta Metroid

Postby Dryn » 05.30.12 11:16pm

One of the most important points in the first video is the direct conflict there seems to be with how people treat Samus in Other M despite the fact that, at that point in time (near the end of the Metroid series story), Samus has accomplished SO much to at least deserve a high level of fame and respect (she took care of Zebes twice, defeated the Metroid Prime, fought off 6 bounty hunters and defeated a cancerous being, saved Aether from the Ing, Pirates and Dark Samus, led the Federation to war against a Pirate Homeworld and destroyed Dark Samus, rendered the Metroid species extinct). If you noticed, no one in the entire game praises her for her past deeds. The marines she meets are like ''meh''. In Prime 3, remember how some soldiers were like ''Is it true you took out an entire planet of Pirates!?'', or how Admiral Dane quietly nods at Samus cause he knows how she can get the job done? Thats the respect I find Samus deserves.

Other than that, most of the first video's points can be seen in another video. This one I find is more ''fair'' and discussed in a non-raging tone = http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKV1ADy-F3k

I enjoyed reading everyone's point of view! I'll be checking in from time to time.
I decided to watch the first video earlier today before you replied. I don't recall any marines saying saying something like that in MP3:C, although there is one particular marine on the G.F.S. Olympus who you can speak to and asks something like, "Are you Samus Aran? It's an honor to meet you", or something like that. Yeah, I can see why people said MOM ignored MPT. To be honest, I never heard this part of the problem until today. Before that, all I heard was, "The Ridley scene" and "This game is sexist".

Of course, I still had my disagreement with TGB about the Ridley scene. No one gets over PTSD. It doesn't go away. As for the video you linked, I've seen that one before.

Tim

MDB Staff - Engineer

Postby Tim » 05.31.12 12:38am

I always liked that one log book entry from Echoes:
Last night at chow, Angseth starts talking about some bounty hunter and how she blew up a planet full of Space Pirates. I told her I didn't believe in fairy tales like that, and she took it personal. I just find it hard to believe that one person took out an entire Space Pirate base, that's all. But if she wants to believe in this Samus, or Bigfoot, or Santa Claus, she can.
I was a little disappointed he didn't mention it in the video.
Of course, I still had my disagreement with TGB about the Ridley scene. No one gets over PTSD. It doesn't go away. As for the video you linked, I've seen that one before.
Ah, no. PTSD is very much treatable. I had a girlfriend a while ago who had PTSD. After one EMDR session she went from being too frightened to drive to being kind of okay with it over night. It's true that that some symptoms might never fully go away, but to say you can't get over it is incorrect.

Sigma

Metroid

Postby Sigma » 05.31.12 6:38am

I always liked that one log book entry from Echoes:
Last night at chow, Angseth starts talking about some bounty hunter and how she blew up a planet full of Space Pirates. I told her I didn't believe in fairy tales like that, and she took it personal. I just find it hard to believe that one person took out an entire Space Pirate base, that's all. But if she wants to believe in this Samus, or Bigfoot, or Santa Claus, she can.
I was a little disappointed he didn't mention it in the video.
Ah, no. PTSD is very much treatable. I had a girlfriend a while ago who had PTSD. After one EMDR session she went from being too frightened to drive to being kind of okay with it over night. It's true that that some symptoms might never fully go away, but to say you can't get over it is incorrect.
I doubt Samus was treated and probably never will get treated. Considering her feelings and connections she had with the baby Metroid she was probably afraid to tell anyone about this and thus went untreated. Telling someone else that she had a maternal connection with a being that is considered by most of the galaxy as an out of control, mindless, deadly, near invincible bio-weapon, and or potential free energy source might be frowned upon a wee bit.

It would be like finding a sentient toaster that calls you daddy and one day it sacrifices itself to save you from a stray bullet. Then later you tell one of your friends about this, how it depresses you and how the thing was like a child to you etc. The next thing you know people in white suits are carrying you off to Bedlam . Though it would be interesting to have a game start with Samus breaking out of some automated mental institution. :P

Infinity's End

MDB Staff - Designer

Postby Infinity's End » 05.31.12 9:29am

:facepalm: the Ridley scene is probably one of the most misunderstood cutscenes in video game history. People don't want to believe that time slowed down and she had to regain her composure. It might have been exaggerated, yes, but it was still the only way they could effortlessly combine backstory and depict the feelings of fear simultaneously without doing a full-on flashback. She still got it together and shot the piss out of him, right? :r-b:
ImageVisit our DA Gallery! A LOT of unique artworks and still growing!
A piece of concept art is not a legally binding contract.

Emperor Ing

Nightmare

Postby Emperor Ing » 05.31.12 9:44am

I was far too focused on Higgs shit-talking that little bitch-ass Ridley to notice anything else going on in the scene

:AH: approves of :rmg: 's manliness.
must be some sorta side effect of the hatchling or maybe she should stop going down on Miyamoto.

Dryn

Zeta Metroid

Postby Dryn » 05.31.12 9:52am

What I meant was that it's not curable. It also depends on the severity of the trauma. I don't know your girlfriend's situation, I can only guess. Clearly it had an impact on Samus, since she thought Ridley was dead.

Naner

Dark Samus

Postby Naner » 05.31.12 11:29am

Yeah, I can see why people said MOM ignored MPT. To be honest, I never heard this part of the problem until today. Before that, all I heard was, "The Ridley scene" and "This game is sexist".
You can't really fault the game for ignoring the Primes. Those were made by a completely different team, and never once did Sakamoto said they were really part of the series' canon. Sure they fit in there without really ruining anything, but no non-Prime game mentioned Prime events and it might be better to stay that way.

And following that logic, Samus had only defeated Ridley twice before. She didn't get around to really killing him in Metroid, and he was back for more in Super, when he died. The Ridleys in Other M and Fusion are, quite clearly, clones created by the Federation, so no, he didn't resurrect. If Samus knew she hadn't killed him the first time, which I think she did, she wouldn't be very surprised when she fought him again in Ceres. Now, seeing him after completely killing him was indeed a shock.
Naner, you rock.
My Facebook
Shinesparkers

Return to “%s” Metroid: Other M