TheGamingBrit's videos

Discuss anything related to Metroid: Other M here!
Zynux

Super Metroid

Re: TheGamingBrit's videos

Postby Zynux » 06.03.12 6:39pm

In what way was Samus' Chozo upbringing related to the mission on the Bottle Ship? It wasn't. The game focussed on her past with Adam because Adam was there.
The entire point of Other M's story was to further explore Samus as a character and her past that made her who she is today. Therefore, as pretty much every other Metroid game as shown, the Chozo indeed played an important part of her early life, especially thanks to the Metroid remake Zero Mission. So why didn't they even get ONE mention? It's stupid for a game about the Bounty Hunter Samus to completely ignore what made her who she is today: the Chozo. As vampe13 stated, It doesn't help the fact the game throws in a random bombshell that Adam was the closest thing Samus had to a father. Not friend. Or lover. Or a guardian after the Chozo past on. No, just Father figure in general. Thanks to that, the entire Metroid Canon has been thrown into disarray. If Adam was the father figure, then what were the Chozo? Of course, like a lot of loose ends and contradictions, Other M doesn't address the issue in the slightest. Because of this, Other M successfully stripped the Chozo of any importance in her life and not only (seemingly) contradict the Prime games but the 2D ones as well.

I understand where you're coming from, though. The Chozo had no real connection to anything on the Bottle Ship. My main problem stems from this: I don't think Other M should have been the game that would teach us about who Samus was as a person, nor should it have been advertised by Sakamoto as such. They should've waited until a future game's central plot revolved around the Chozo to tackle that. But, of course, they didn't, and here we are today.
"Cut! There are no second chances for actors that fall to the abyss. Await your second casting in the darkness forever." - The Night of Wallachia

Ridley prepping his body for Other M

shdowhunt60

Egg

Postby shdowhunt60 » 06.04.12 8:56am

I'm of the opinion that there shouldn't even be such a game. That's what keeps Samus interesting, we don't know anything about her, beyond wild speculation and the simple actions she does throughout the series. And I honestly probably wouldn't have it any other way, because before Other M there was a large number of interesting interpretations of Samus from the gamut of poorly written manga to the fanfiction that's conjured up by the dedicated souls who've had to put up with the poor treatment of a series that we love by Nintendo. Samus isn't like Link from the Legend of Zelda in that her emotions and intentions aren't completely obvious. In other words, sometimes a silent protaganist should remain silent.

And before you toss out The Manga into the mix, let's not. The Manga wasn't good to begin with, and what's more is that it's so very obscure. It's not something like the Fallout Bible where the general community has an awareness of it, that I doubt that even a lot of the staff that worked on the Metroid series throughout the decades even heard of it, let alone read it. I can almost bet money (I can't, because I have none) that absolutely none of the staff at Retro Studios hasn't.

But I agree on this. If there was a game that needed to explore Samus Aran as a person, then it should involve not only the Chozo, but also the Space Pirates, and the Federation. Perhaps not all at the same time, but those three factions are key to Samus's development as a character.
Because of this, Other M successfully stripped the Chozo of any importance in her life and not only (seemingly) contradict the Prime games but the 2D ones as well.
This is something that I noticed as well, Other M doesn't stop at contradicting Prime but also the 2D games, even Fusion. Why would Samus Aran work with the Federation in Fusion after they not only tried to arrest her, but assasinate her as well? Why would the Federation try to assasinate what is clearly their most valuable asset? I feel like Other M is practically another Fallout 3 in that you have a game that recycles so very much, but still contradicts the prior games in existence so badly that it forms rifts that's felt even in the fanbase.

Emperor Ing

Nightmare

Postby Emperor Ing » 06.04.12 10:16am

I didn't know Fallout 3 was so divisive...

Then again, I'm a New Vegas man (more specifically, I am a Fallout 1 man, but hey I have to get with the times sometime).

I think some of the outrage at Other M should probably cool down a bit - at least until we have another Metroid game to play!

I don't think Other M "stripped the importance of the Chozo" from Samus' life, just that they had nothing to do with Other M and the story between Samus and Adam (whatever you think of that story).

Something tells me the next game will explore the Chozo a bit more (probably to appease fans more than anything), and drop the hum-drum "Federation is evil" shtick that they were building up in the last several games (because I do agree with the video that while it has potential in the execution, it's not a very interesting angle to take considered how varied and colorful the Metroid universe is).

Frankly I am more annoyed at the treatment of the Space Pirates (but I write it off as the Bottle Ship Pirates being not "true" Zebesians - and I think Fusion corroborates a little bit of this).

All of this Other M discussion reminds me of a saying I coined back when discussion about the Prime games were still red-hot:
"Game developers never think as much about a game as their fans do."
must be some sorta side effect of the hatchling or maybe she should stop going down on Miyamoto.

Doc Scratch

Omega Metroid

Postby Doc Scratch » 06.04.12 4:56pm

It makes perfect sense that Samus would be willing to work with the Galactic Federation after Other M. All of those collisions with a bulkhead while shinesparking probably gave her amnesia.:gsamus:
Suckers.

shdowhunt60

Egg

Postby shdowhunt60 » 06.04.12 10:04pm

I didn't know Fallout 3 was so divisive...

Then again, I'm a New Vegas man (more specifically, I am a Fallout 1 man, but hey I have to get with the times sometime).

Yeah... the release of Fallout 3 still inspires flame wars. Familiar?

Chris

Kraid

Postby Chris » 06.05.12 9:59am

This is something that I noticed as well, Other M doesn't stop at contradicting Prime but also the 2D games, even Fusion. Why would Samus Aran work with the Federation in Fusion after they not only tried to arrest her, but assasinate her as well? Why would the Federation try to assasinate what is clearly their most valuable asset? I feel like Other M is practically another Fallout 3 in that you have a game that recycles so very much, but still contradicts the prior games in existence so badly that it forms rifts that's felt even in the fanbase.
It wasn't the Federation though, it was a small corrupt group within the Federation that was involved with the Bottle Ship, if we take Adam's word for it that is. It's also not like she jumped at the chance at working with the Feds again in Fusion, pretty sure she reluctantly agreed to it due to that nature of the mission.

Like I mentioned a while back, I hope they tie up all these loose ends with this corruption thing quite early on in the next title, get it over with and move on with a new threat, though be cool if it was linked. The guy at the end of MOM was most likely there to try and clear any mess up so he tried detaining Samus and Madeline, remember how Anthony popped up and explained his orders that he had from Adam that was in term given by the Chairman of the Federation that trumped his plans to get rid of the only remaining evidence, Samus and Madeline.

Be cool if this corrupt part of the Federation had some external ties who were manipulating federation resources for their own gain and in light of the events of MOM and Fusion we find out who they are and that their plans go beyond Metroid cloning and they have something new for us to battle against.

Daya

Gamma Metroid

Postby Daya » 06.14.12 11:07am

Decided to move it to a new thread, because I figured out it would be better.

Return to “%s” Metroid: Other M