3 year anniversary

Discuss anything related to Metroid: Other M here!
RoyboyX

Omega Metroid

3 year anniversary

Postby RoyboyX » 08.31.13 10:00am

Today is the three year anniversary of MOM's release. This game divided the community and caused arguments galore. :gsamus: was called too wimpy, nobody liked :adam: and :choogle: was just too cute. Let's call this a retrospective thread, where you can say if you still hate it after many years. I'm of the suspicion it will become a cult game.

okey

Metroid Queen

Re: 3 year anniversary

Postby okey » 08.31.13 6:08pm

In hindsight, the backlash for this game was pretty nuts. I don't think I've ever seen a game developer get demonized the way :YS: did.

Don't take that as a defense of this game though. Looking back, the only decision that made any sense was "let's make a new Metroid game". It was all downhill from there :|

Zynux

Super Metroid

Postby Zynux » 08.31.13 10:59pm

To this day I still believe 85% of the hate this game got was justified.

I'm still weary of the sexist arguments though.
"Cut! There are no second chances for actors that fall to the abyss. Await your second casting in the darkness forever." - The Night of Wallachia

Ridley prepping his body for Other M

okey

Metroid Queen

Postby okey » 09.01.13 2:03pm

I'm sick of hearing people argue over whether Metroid Prime is canon or not.

HYRUL3

Dark Samus

Postby HYRUL3 » 09.01.13 3:37pm

Same here.
"I am tired of being under the weight of greedy men who don't believe in anything."

danman007

Egg

Postby danman007 » 09.01.13 9:40pm

A lot of the hate the game got(and still does) is in my opinion unjustified. To me, it illustrated the ugly side of gamer culture where gamers will spout irrational sentiments towards the development team and publisher. It amounted to how a child would throw a temper tantrum if they can't get what they want.

I like the game when was release and the subsequent times I have replayed it I still find it fun to play. Only on my most recent playthrough of the game I felt caught up in the actual story it was trying to tell. I never found Samus to be weak, I found her to be a strong fighting woman whose past is constantly on her mind. Adam's sacrifice was poignant as it serve as his redemption for being unable to save his own brother, and Anthony Higgs offer light-hearted relief from the melodrama being played out on the Bottle Ship. MB/Melissa Bergman, the reborn Mother Brain, turn out to be the most intriguing character of the story and serves as a great contrast to Samus.

Yes, I really like Other M. Whether the game was successful in how the gameplay and story was presented is, in large part, up to the player. I can't say what the game's reputation will be like in the future but I do think it is underrated and perhaps misunderstood.

Zynux

Super Metroid

Postby Zynux » 09.01.13 10:20pm

I don't understand how these arguments even rise up. Even Sakamoto himself acknowledges them as canon, and there is a clear timeline. Just because they were ignored in one game doesn't mean they never happened.
"Cut! There are no second chances for actors that fall to the abyss. Await your second casting in the darkness forever." - The Night of Wallachia

Ridley prepping his body for Other M

Emperor Ing

Nightmare

Postby Emperor Ing » 09.02.13 1:12am

A lot of the hate the game got(and still does) is in my opinion unjustified. To me, it illustrated the ugly side of gamer culture where gamers will spout irrational sentiments towards the development team and publisher. It amounted to how a child would throw a temper tantrum if they can't get what they want.
The ugly side of gamer culture where consumers reject a faulty product? If what people want are "good games" (and I assume that's what people want), I would say it's pretty justified to complain when you don't get what you paid for. People can demand refunds from theaters if they suffer a shitty movie, after all. I mean, I get pissed when games I like get shitty reviews, but there comes a point where you have to admit to yourself that you like a lousy game.
I like the game when was release and the subsequent times I have replayed it I still find it fun to play. Only on my most recent playthrough of the game I felt caught up in the actual story it was trying to tell. I never found Samus to be weak, I found her to be a strong fighting woman whose past is constantly on her mind. Adam's sacrifice was poignant as it serve as his redemption for being unable to save his own brother, and Anthony Higgs offer light-hearted relief from the melodrama being played out on the Bottle Ship. MB/Melissa Bergman, the reborn Mother Brain, turn out to be the most intriguing character of the story and serves as a great contrast to Samus.
Something tells me this has less to do with what the game is actually showing you, and more to do with what you want to read IN to the game. Maybe you read a bunch of internet articles during the meantime?
I can't say what the game's reputation will be like in the future but I do think it is underrated and perhaps misunderstood.
If you consider how this game can be bought for $5 new, I'd say it has been pretty well-rated and understood. If there would have been any "revisionary glance" at this game, it would have happened by now. Not even games like Majora's Mask or Super Mario Sunshine have fallen off the relevance-radar in the way Other M has.
I'm of the suspicion it will become a cult game.
This is the only interesting statement in the thread, because of how baffling it is.
must be some sorta side effect of the hatchling or maybe she should stop going down on Miyamoto.

okey

Metroid Queen

Postby okey » 09.02.13 8:44am

I don't understand how these arguments even rise up. Even Sakamoto himself acknowledges them as canon, and there is a clear timeline. Just because they were ignored in one game doesn't mean they never happened.
I don't know. It's like Other M being bad isn't enough for some people, now it has to make good games worse by proxy.

And since the new Smash is using stuff from Other M instead of Prime, we'll get to hear this argument for another couple of years. Great -_-;

Remnants

Metroid Queen

Postby Remnants » 09.02.13 8:56am

Honestly, Other M felt like an embarrassment. This is going to sound silly but a few months ago when I looked up the video for Metroid Prime 3's ending credits, I was almost blown away by how much dignity it carried with it. If there's any developer that really gave respect to the franchise, it's Retro Studios.

Stinger

Metroid

Postby Stinger » 09.04.13 7:38pm

I'm with danman007 on Other M. If it weren't for Other M, Samus probably wouldn't be my favorite character of the franchise. I love how strong Samus is in Other M, tearing through enemies with wild finishers and overcoming emotional hurdles to pursue her goals. Knowing what Samus put herself through on the Bottle Ship physically and (finally) mentally, I would say this mission has been her toughest. In terms of criticisms, I think I'm down to one. Other M overestimated the knowledge its audience has of the Metroid franchise. Whenever I look over story criticism of this game, I have found there are bits of information from the franchise missing. The story expected too much, but as a big fan, I do appreciate how well integrated Other M's story is with the franchise's content.

HYRUL3

Dark Samus

Postby HYRUL3 » 09.04.13 7:53pm

If it weren't for Other M, Samus probably wouldn't be my favorite character of the franchise.
Who would be your favorite?
"I am tired of being under the weight of greedy men who don't believe in anything."

Apothem

Postby Apothem » 09.04.13 8:47pm

^ Geemers. Those little bastards are flippin' awesome. :geemer:

In the past three years my opinions of the game have tempered a bit. I find the gameplay merely mediocre now instead of terrible, but my opinion of the game's "story" remains unchanged:

Emperor Ing

Nightmare

Postby Emperor Ing » 09.04.13 8:49pm

If it weren't for Other M, Samus probably wouldn't be my favorite character of the franchise.
Who would be your favorite?
Do you need to guess?
:AH: :AH: :AH: :AH: :AH:
must be some sorta side effect of the hatchling or maybe she should stop going down on Miyamoto.

HYRUL3

Dark Samus

Postby HYRUL3 » 09.04.13 9:19pm

Lol. I think Armstrong Houston might be too intense for someone who enjoyed OM's Samus.

And I agree with Apothem. My opinion hasn't really changed. I wasn't a fan.

Return to “%s” Metroid: Other M