3 year anniversary

Discuss anything related to Metroid: Other M here!
TheAccursedHunter01

Zeta Metroid

Re: 3 year anniversary

Postby TheAccursedHunter01 » 12.29.13 12:48pm

Here's something I just thought of and I'm not proud that it's three years later. Although to be fair, I also discovered three years later that a brief impression of Samus is left when she jumps off a wall. Anyway, my new realization:

The way Samus speaks in her narrations suggests she's reflecting on the mission after it's over. For example, "There was no time for me to grieve his death, but there was time for me to say..." Everyone thinking that the dialogue and script is horrible may not have realized this. None of her narrations are similar to, say, Dexter Morgan ("With Lumen, I'm someone different. In her eyes, I'm not a monster at all."). Whereas Dexter's thoughts are in present-tense, it's like Samus' are in past-tense.
I completely agree. It sounds as if Samus is writing her autobiography 3 years after Fusion and is reading the story from her diary. It's so far back for her though, she left plenty of stuff out....I guess.

Apothem

Postby Apothem » 12.30.13 12:18am

Everyone thinking that the dialogue and script is horrible may not have realized this.
If that was truly Sakamoto's intention, and still no-one understood, it means he failed to properly convey the narrative framework of the entire game. That's far worse than no-one understanding it. It shouldn't be put upon the audience to guess the author's intent for how the story should be told.

RoyboyX

Omega Metroid

Postby RoyboyX » 12.30.13 7:07pm

Admittedly true, if this was his intention Samus should have had a monologue at the beginning like "My name is Samus Aran. I'm a powerful bounty hunter, and here is the story of the Bottle Ship incident."

RoyboyX

Omega Metroid

Postby RoyboyX » 01.01.14 12:56am

On another note, does anyone here think that the game is so horrible none of the designers should ever work again? I see those types of comments with regards to Scott Buck because of the Dexter finale, which I didn't hate at all, I'm actually glad he's alive (though sad Deb died, I loved her :'( ) maybe because I really connected with Dexter. Wow, that didn't sound fucked up.

Back on topic, I know Sakamoto has received a lot of flack and, okay, I think maybe he should step back from the next troid'. I read an "interview" with him where he thought people didn't like MOM b/c it was a girl you play as, and spoke of his desire to make a game starring :adam: , it was a parody mind you but it did get me to start believing the "sexist" complaints somewhat.

So, my new question is do you think the developers are as horrible and in needing to be replaced as the US Congress?

TheAccursedHunter01

Zeta Metroid

Postby TheAccursedHunter01 » 01.01.14 1:22am

I know Sakamoto has received a lot of flack and, okay, I think maybe he should step back from the next troid'. I read an "interview" with him where he thought people didn't like MOM b/c it was a girl you play as, and spoke of his desire to make a game starring :adam: , it was a parody mind you but it did get me to start believing the "sexist" complaints somewhat.

So, my new question is do you think the developers are as horrible and in needing to be replaced as the US Congress?
Sakamoto has proved that he can perform good work with Super, Zero Mission and Fusion among other games. Other M seemed like an experiment, and as long as Sakamoto/developers/Nintendo learn from Other M's mistakes and make a great next game, we can let Other M slide and move on. I know Sakamoto will redeem himself somehow, we just have to wait and see what happens next.

Xerkxes

Metroid Queen

Postby Xerkxes » 01.01.14 2:47am

On another note, does anyone here think that the game is so horrible none of the designers should ever work again?
no, just not Sakamoto having near unquestionable say in everything.

Ninja Team did quite good with the gameplay with what they had to work with, the game is functional, but bland due too... unimaginative environments. had it been as unique detailed and unique as previous games there'd be little left to rag on it.
The controlls were okay, Sakamoto's choice for just the single Wiimote " 'cause nostalgia NES controls" painful for long play, lil easily, nunchuck plus rebalancing Sense move and Concentration and it would have been just fine.

as said, Sakamoto's proven he can make a good metroid, more than once... just not when trying to write a fleshed out story appearently.
Xerkxes: "Makes you wonder why Samus just didn't take one of the Crystals with her, and constantly charge it with the light beam while using it as a God damned +5 Brilliant Energy Spear of Smite-Ing "

Big Guy

Metroid Queen

Postby Big Guy » 01.12.14 10:15pm

At first I thought the game was great.
Then I played it again.
And a third time.
The more I played it the more problems I had with it, like the whole "if you don't grab this power up RIGHT NOW you won't be able to later because this area will become inaccessible" problem that one energy tank Fusion had. Also the first playthrough I did I thought the story was a little iffy, but again the more I experienced it the more I began to dislike it. Now I regard it as one of the worst game stories I've had the displeasure to view. (Use of the word "view" is very important to note).
As for going into Samus' character, the Prime games actually did a pretty good job, especially Prime 3. Retro made excellent use of body language and facial expressions to show her emotions, most notably when Gandrayda was dying and she turned into Samus for a few seconds: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6rXfPq6ueY (skip to 9:30). There was more effective character development in that single clip than there was in the entirety of Other M.
As for Metroid "dying", I doubt it. While the use of Other M's streamlined, anime-style power suit in the new Smash bothers me, I also noticed that Metroid was the 3rd franchise they showed (behind Mario and Zelda). That in itself says a lot about their current stance on the franchise.
Hello.

Return to “%s” Metroid: Other M