Should I buy? NO SPOILERS

Discuss anything related to Metroid: Other M here!
Lavama

Hatchling

Should I buy? NO SPOILERS

Postby Lavama » 09.10.13 8:33am

I've been lacking in funds, ironically ever since Other M came out, so I haven't jumped on the Metroid train yet. Though, one thing seems certain, and that it is generally the most hated Metroid game I can see, even raising Metroid Prime 2 and Fusion's popularity amongst haters of the former two games.

Is it worth any price? I've actually heard from a Metroid fan that shares very similar opinions on my views of Metroid that says I should spend no money on this title, other than some elements, it's an abysmal entry.

What are your thoughts in 50 words or less? And let's keep from having a flame war, please. I know this is throwing a nuke into some other sites for Metroid Discussion.

Caleb89sw

Metroid

Re: Should I buy? NO SPOILERS

Postby Caleb89sw » 09.10.13 10:25am

Well, I don't know if I can keep it 50 words or less, but here goes.

Other M is a bit tricky to describe. First off, the story, characterization, plot, etc. is not only polarizing, but also confusing, especially for casual fans. This is definately not a game you can fully understand without having prior knowledge of some of the other games, particularly Super Metroid, Metroid Fusion and also the manga. (The manga of which was never released here in the states.) So, prepare to do some research into Metroid lore. Then the polarizing element. The best thing you can do is just experience it for yourself. There is no simple answer when it comes to the controversal elements in Other M. Some like it, some don't. All you can do is do research on the games and the story in Metroid, look at the facts and decide for yourself if you like Other M or not.

As for the gameplay element. It's definitely a lot different than previous entries in the series, but overall it's not really bad. The only thing that may be frustrating at times is using the missiles, but that's not a major issue. Otherwise, the gameplay is pretty solid.

Overall, I'd recommend it. I wouldn't say it's an abysmal entry. It's not among my favorite Metroid games, but it's definately a great game. The action is intense and if you have no problems accepting the story, it's very intriguing and at times, emotional. The graphics are among the best the Wii has to offer and the voice acting is good as well. I might also recommend you look into some of the other games to appreciate Other M more, but even on its own, you may still like it.

Emperor Ing

Nightmare

Postby Emperor Ing » 09.10.13 5:38pm

You can buy much better things with the money used to buy Other M. People will try to rationalize the game in any number of ways (see post above mine), but the short gist of it is that: no, it's not worth it.

People who hated Metroid II and Prime 2 are just mistaken - those are games that are actually good, yet flawed. Other M is flawed without the qualifier of 'good' and if you really want to jump into the series, most of the best games are available either on eshop on the 3DS (not sure if Super is on eshop) or as the Trilogy-pack on the Wii.
must be some sorta side effect of the hatchling or maybe she should stop going down on Miyamoto.

HYRUL3

Dark Samus

Postby HYRUL3 » 09.10.13 6:23pm

Don't take the chance of turning yourself off to the series. As Emperor Ing said, there are better things you can spend your money on, and for the same amount you could spend on Other M, you could get every Metroid game available in the Wii/WiiU/3DS eShops.
"I am tired of being under the weight of greedy men who don't believe in anything."

Remnants

Metroid Queen

Postby Remnants » 09.10.13 7:44pm

Don't take the chance of turning yourself off to the series. As Emperor Ing said, there are better things you can spend your money on, and for the same amount you could spend on Other M, you could get every Metroid game available in the Wii/WiiU/3DS eShops.
This post is really difficult to top :P
So yeah, why buy one lousy Metroid game when you can get two good ones from within that budget? Suppose I should tell you that Metroid Prime Hunters for the DS comes in at second place as the worst received Metroid game. That is, as far as I've heard since I never played the game myself.

If you're thinking about starting off with a sidescroller Metroid: I would recommend Super Metroid which you can get for $15 on Virtual Console I believe. It's recommended that this game be played before Metroid Fusion (the latter I would say must be played before any attempt to play Other M is to be made)
If you're planning to start with a first person adventure instead, you'd be looking at the Metroid Prime trilogy. If you can manage to get Metroid Prime Trilogy, that'd be great but if not, I'd say start off with Metroid Prime.

Lavama

Hatchling

Postby Lavama » 09.10.13 8:04pm

I actually got introduced through Smash Bros., but my first Metroid was Prime 1 December of 2002. I got it for Christmas (Rented the demo from Blockbuster Christmas Eve, woke up and found that copy replaced by a packaged one.), and Fusion a month later.

And I've loved every game I've played sense. The only three I have not played/Owned at some point or another would be Metroid 2, Hunters, and Other M. So, uh, just buy a Kirby game instead of Other M?

Caleb89sw

Metroid

Postby Caleb89sw » 09.10.13 8:41pm

If you're curious about it and you can find it at a decent price somewhere like a Gamestop store, I'd say pick it up and give it a shot.

If you can't or if you're hesitant about it, it may not be necessary, considering you've played the other games in the series.

HYRUL3

Dark Samus

Postby HYRUL3 » 09.10.13 9:28pm

Why not just rent it?

If you sign up with GameFly, the first month is a free trial anyway, you could finish the game, send it back, and cancel your membership before you ever even get charged for anything. Or you can keep the membership and repeat the same method with other suspect games. I love my membership. It's helped me avoid many terrible games, or find hidden gems I never would've risked money on without trying first.
"I am tired of being under the weight of greedy men who don't believe in anything."

Stinger

Metroid

Postby Stinger » 09.11.13 9:30am

I would recommend renting Other M, since there's a chance you will not like the game due to what you've heard and it being an untraditional Metroid. Other M is a very misunderstood game as the franchise material is hardly ever fully applied to the narrative, and Other M is very integrated in that material for its story. If you don't understand where Other M is in the timeline and what all has occurred up to that point, I'm very sure you'll hate the game's narrative and that hate will likely carry over into the gameplay. The gameplay isn't traditional Metroid, but it certainly isn't terrible for being outside of the series' box. Personally, that's one of the reasons I had such a great experience with Other M, as it had that freshness to it. Other M also tends to be more about always having the adventure progress forward, rather than through revisiting and exploring previous areas with a new upgrade. If you don't think Metroid games can exist as linear experiences, it'll be a turn off. Overall, I have enjoyed Other M quite a bit, but it's not for everyone.

Emperor Ing

Nightmare

Postby Emperor Ing » 09.11.13 7:47pm

A good number of us could probably vouch for disliking Other M even more so when we are aware of its hare-brained story it's trying to concoct from the "material." The manga wasn't even that good, people.
Other M also tends to be more about always having the adventure progress forward, rather than through revisiting and exploring previous areas with a new upgrade.
Unless you discount those parts of the game where everything grinds to a halt to find a small pixel in the background, or inexplicably are forced to crawl forward at a snail's pace for literally no reason pertaining to gameplay.
must be some sorta side effect of the hatchling or maybe she should stop going down on Miyamoto.

Stinger

Metroid

Postby Stinger » 09.11.13 8:23pm

When has franchise material meant the manga exclusively?

Emperor Ing

Nightmare

Postby Emperor Ing » 09.11.13 8:47pm

It hasn't, nor did I say the sub-par emanga was exclusively the background material. It definitely is the source of the whole, hackneyed PSTD thing though which most people point out as justification for the lousy story 'twists' in Other M.

Basically, I'm trying to point out that most people will not like the story if they don't know the universe beforehand. And you know what? If you DO know the story beforehand, it is just as bad, if not worse. Why put yourself through a lousy game?

HYRUL3

Dark Samus

Postby HYRUL3 » 09.11.13 8:57pm

Completely agreed with EI; not a fan of the manga. The writing in that is also pretty bad.

And
Other M also tends to be more about always having the adventure progress forward, rather than through revisiting and exploring previous areas with a new upgrade.
Doesn't this negate the point of a Metroid game? To move along at your own pace, finding new items to up your arsenal, get lost both literally and figuratively in the world you've somehow become involved in?

That's Metroid to me, not "run down linear hallway, fight some aliens, take a turn, go down some more linear hallways", etc.

danman007

Egg

Postby danman007 » 09.11.13 9:40pm

Speaking as someone who likes Other M, I would recommend you rent it first. One thing I would say is that Other M will catch you off guard. The narrative is not terrible but also not this big epic either, there is a subplot that is dropped and never fully addressed in the later part of the game. The story is meant to be a more personal tale about Samus herself. You'll have to experience the game to see how you feel about it.
It is more in line with Metroid Fusion as that game was also more mission based than the rest of the series just that Other M has a stronger emphasis on story. As for the gameplay the controls are simple and, in my opinion, should be easy to pick up. It will take a bit getting used to switching between third person and first person perspectives with the latter mainly used for your missiles and searching the environment.

LuigiandMetroidfan20

Metroid

Postby LuigiandMetroidfan20 » 09.27.13 9:24pm

"Bold refers to a direct reply to the topic. Underline refers to what is responding to the quote. Everything else is just a normal comment."

To the Topic Creator:
*PLEASE NOTE THAT MILD GAMEPLAY-RELATED SPOILERS FOLLOW*

Long post follows:

First off: Other M is one of those games that you either like or you don't. There is no middle ground.
Second: The story is objectively flawed. It can be subjectively enjoyed, but that's the gist of it.
Third: The gameplay is indeed heavily action-based. HOWEVER, the are various points throughout the story where you can break off from that on-rails narrative and explore for a variety of upgrades. Ignoring the larger focus on linearity and action, Other M is still a Metroidvania game at its core, albeit a "soft-core" variation.
Fourth: The controls are a more acquired taste. They work, but take a bit getting used to.
Fifth: Not sure how much you care about boss battles, but they are fairly well done, but altogether do not require a significant amount of strategy.
Sixth: The music is orchestrated pretty well, when it can be heard that is. Often times all you will hear are ambient sounds and the various sound effects applied to the current situation.
Seventh: Other M can be found very cheap nowadays. I've seen it anywhere from $5.00 to $10.00 US currency. Not sure how much it costs to rent these days, though. If you do buy it and do not like it, but find within the $5.00 to $10.00 price range, it could prove cheaper than renting, if renting does indeed cost more (but I doubt that).

Additional details: On the first playthrough, the game lasts around 13 to 15 hours (cutscenes not included w/playtime). It takes around 2 to 5 more hours to 100% it following that. The game has unlockables in the form of alternate title screen music, concept art, a "Metroid: Other M: The Movie" (cutscenes played from beginning of the game to the end plus gameplay woven throughout), and a Hard Mode (playing through the entire game up to the final boss, but excluding a certain section that follows the end credits, without being able to collect upgrades). There is one extra section after completing the game that becomes playable if you stick around after the credits. This section lacks any form of story goal (i.e. you can explore as much as you like and collect anything you haven't yet without restriction and being forced to move the story forward) except for one specific goal that can be avoided indefinitely, but if taken leads to an extra boss battle and, by extension, an escape sequence. There is a few extra "abilities/moves" that Samus can perform that are not explained in-game. These must be discovered on their own. Note that these "moves/abilities" are NOT new weapons/upgrades/etc. Additionally, some bosses have a "second" death scene if killed in a certain, semi-secretive manner (one of these is extremely vague in the method required to do so).

Side Note: Even through its flaws I can attest that fun can be had playing the game.

In short: The game is worth a buy if you find it cheap. I bought it full price back when it was first released and while I don't regret it, others would argue that was a bad choice. However, if you are still skeptical on a purchase, just go out and rent it.

You can buy much better things with the money used to buy Other M. People will try to rationalize the game in any number of ways (see post above mine), but the short gist of it is that: no, it's not worth it.

People who hated Metroid II and Prime 2 are just mistaken - those are games that are actually good, yet flawed. Other M is flawed without the qualifier of 'good' and if you really want to jump into the series, most of the best games are available either on eshop on the 3DS (not sure if Super is on eshop) or as the Trilogy-pack on the Wii.
Opinions are a very large factor here (yes, I know I'm being redundant considering this is a topic involving the use of opinions for recommending (or not) Other M for purchase). Other M can be viewed subjectively as having the qualifier of good. Same with Metroid II, Echoes, and Hunters.

Super is not on the 3Ds eshop, but is on the Wii U eshop. It can also be purchased either through the Wii Shop Channel on the original Wii or through the Wii U using the "Wii Mode."

It boggles my mind that whenever anyone talks about traditional Metroid gameplay conventions (such as exploration), or the lack thereof, when referring to Other M, they always forget to mention the epilogue section and the escape sequence that tops it off. (Please note that I am generalizing based off of my own experience.)
Last edited by LuigiandMetroidfan20 on 09.27.13 9:34pm, edited 1 time in total.
Opinions are opinions, not facts. Though, everyone is entitled to their opinion, of course. Even Metroids and Ridley, the unkillable beast.
Viva Les Alpha et Omega Metroids.
Kraid should be brought back, he needs some good 'ol Metroid love.

Return to “%s” Metroid: Other M