Should I buy? NO SPOILERS

Discuss anything related to Metroid: Other M here!
HYRUL3

Dark Samus

Re: Should I buy? NO SPOILERS

Postby HYRUL3 » 09.27.13 9:48pm

In response to your last paragraph, people don't forget. It's just that a Metroid game shouldn't save these things for a post credits section, they should be sprinkled throughout.
"I am tired of being under the weight of greedy men who don't believe in anything."

LuigiandMetroidfan20

Metroid

Postby LuigiandMetroidfan20 » 09.27.13 10:12pm

In response to your last paragraph, people don't forget. It's just that a Metroid game shouldn't save these things for a post credits section, they should be sprinkled throughout.
Let me rephrase that: From my general experience, whenever I seem to find discussions about Other M's gameplay, it seems to me like everyone always acts like there is absolutely no exploration, when in reality, far too little I might add, is it actually mentioned that the player may run off rails and do some (admittedly limited) exploration and item collection as well as never mentioning the epilogue. Again, I am generalizing and mean no offense to anyone that feels there is too little to be worth mentioning or anyone else with their own opinions of that topic.

Also, nice avatar. (I hope this isn't coming off sarcastic. I'm being honest here.)
In response to your last paragraph
I guess I got a bit carried away with my response to the main topic...
Opinions are opinions, not facts. Though, everyone is entitled to their opinion, of course. Even Metroids and Ridley, the unkillable beast.
Viva Les Alpha et Omega Metroids.
Kraid should be brought back, he needs some good 'ol Metroid love.

HYRUL3

Dark Samus

Postby HYRUL3 » 09.28.13 5:07am

You're coming off fine, no worries. Thanks for the avatar compliment.

It may seem that way, but I guess it depends on who you talk to. I've seen many praise the epilogue as the best part of the whole game.
"I am tired of being under the weight of greedy men who don't believe in anything."

TheAccursedHunter01

Zeta Metroid

Postby TheAccursedHunter01 » 12.14.13 2:07am

Third: The gameplay is indeed heavily action-based. HOWEVER, the are various points throughout the story where you can break off from that on-rails narrative and explore for a variety of upgrades. Ignoring the larger focus on linearity and action, Other M is still a Metroidvania game at its core, albeit a "soft-core" variation.

Sixth: The music is orchestrated pretty well, when it can be heard that is. Often times all you will hear are ambient sounds and the various sound effects applied to the current situation.

Side Note: Even through its flaws I can attest that fun can be had playing the game.

In short: The game is worth a buy if you find it cheap. I bought it full price back when it was first released and while I don't regret it, others would argue that was a bad choice. However, if you are still skeptical on a purchase, just go out and rent it.[/b]

It boggles my mind that whenever anyone talks about traditional Metroid gameplay conventions (such as exploration), or the lack thereof, when referring to Other M, they always forget to mention the epilogue section and the escape sequence that tops it off. (Please note that I am generalizing based off of my own experience.)
Doors shut behind you and lock, and you are unable to explore past a certain point up until the end. I will agree it is a very soft core version, but much more restricted than Fusion, since you could go anywhere throughout the station if you wanted if you had the right power ups and the one to two doors that are locked due to plot reasons.

Only two to three songs are noteworthy out of the bunch. The music on its own is good, but it sounds survival horror and although Metroid has done horror well in Fusion, Samus has all her shit(technically) and the art style/visuals clash with what the music is telling you and it feels....weird(at least to me).

I will agree with this, I too enjoyed Other M first time through and even now. It is one of my guilty pleasures since even though it is fun in its own right, t's a bad Metroid game to me for lots of reasons. After a few hours, I have mental burnout and I feel like putting the game down, which is something I never do with the other games unless I've playing for 10 hours straight or something. That's a bad sign.

I think that if you are a Metroid fan, you need to experience Other M at some point for better or for worse. As long as you get it for cheap anyway.

You can explore, but this is Final Fantasy 13 of Metroid, since the entire map is 99% hallways, and if you try to go off the beaten path, Adam stops you or something. Once you get to the end game item clean up, you've explored 99% of the ship already, and all the items are revealed on the map for you, which is a bit disappointing.

Return to “%s” Metroid: Other M