Small Details/Interesting Tidbits/Secrets You Found in M:OM

Discuss anything related to Metroid: Other M here!
LuigiandMetroidfan20

Metroid

Small Details/Interesting Tidbits/Secrets You Found in M:OM

Postby LuigiandMetroidfan20 » 09.28.13 1:18pm

Exactly as the title says.

Anything you noticed in the game that you're unsure others noticed as well? Post here.

Also: Try to keep this topic neutral in regards to opinions. No statements that are overly positive or negative. This is merely an informational topic. Thank you.

Be warned, if you have not completed the game by this point even considering the length of time the game has been released, spoilers follow.

First off, more well known details:
-The charge beam--->morph ball creates five morph ball bombs trick.
-Sense move can be performed in most every one of the 8 directions on the control pad.
-The "seamless" quick time events (ex: dodging a foe's move as the game goes slow mo to allow for sense moving, but if you fail you don't die, only take some damage) and action commands (ex: overblast, lethal strike, sense move again).
-Some bosses can be finished off in more than one manner.
-Sense move + holding fire button= instant charge beam.

But did you know:
-Charging while in morph ball mode then transforming out of it when charge is about full release an instant charge beam attack regardless of the fact the 1 button is still being held down.
-Groganch can be overblasted.
-You can make the Vorash eat an additional grapple point so you can go "fishing" for it a second time in battle.
-The Vorash has a lethal strike opportunity that is not immediately apparent. Indeed it can prove to be quite hazardous to Samus's health if the player doesn't act quick enough.
-You can force the Desbrachians in the final encounter with MB into their "shell" form if you pressure them with missiles.
-Due to the presence of a certain kind of portal in the room where several mini-boss and elite enemy types are summoned and the proximity to the Phantoon boss fight, it can be inferred that Phantoon is behind their appearance here.

A question for everyone:
Has anyone tried using a power bomb while fighting Phantoon? Does he take any damage from it?
Opinions are opinions, not facts. Though, everyone is entitled to their opinion, of course. Even Metroids and Ridley, the unkillable beast.
Viva Les Alpha et Omega Metroids.
Kraid should be brought back, he needs some good 'ol Metroid love.

Xerkxes

Metroid Queen

Re: Small Details/Interesting Tidbits/Secrets You Found in M

Postby Xerkxes » 09.28.13 7:05pm

I think I tried to use power bombs, and nothing happened (though it was a while ago, I don't quite remember)

Otherwise another tip I found.

Overblast -> missile.

After achieving an Overblast, while your hopping down off your enemy in midair, if you switch too searchview mode and fire the missile before you touch the ground it deals extra damage.
Plus, conceptually, it's god damned bad ass.
Xerkxes: "Makes you wonder why Samus just didn't take one of the Crystals with her, and constantly charge it with the light beam while using it as a God damned +5 Brilliant Energy Spear of Smite-Ing "

TheAccursedHunter01

Zeta Metroid

Postby TheAccursedHunter01 » 10.06.13 2:13am

When looking online at other playthoroughs of the game, I've noticed that nobody seems to charge up a charge beam, and then switch to first person to immediately fire a Super Missile. Most people just run around and once they get the chance, they go first person, charge the charge beam, and THEN fire the Super. The best example is during the Ridley boss fight. When he goes into his invulnerable state, either after using the lethal strike on him(which is pretty fucking cool I might add) or just doing enough damage, he immediately flies upward and does the stage AOE fireball attack. Charge the Charge Beam when he starts his invulnerability state, then when you can shoot him, go into first person and immediately fire a Super to knock him out of the invincible state. Especially since after the AOE move, he always does a ground pound, leaving him wide open for an attack. This is incredibly helpful for bosses during the later portion of the game on hard mode. Maybe not an obscure move, but it seems like something most people don't seem to notice.

Another thing I noticed is that in certain points of the game, you can see some kind of background render photo, but in really low quality so it stands out. The best example of this is in Sector 1. There is a particular hallway where there are two of the stupid tree creatures on either side of you. Look in the background and you can easily see some low quality photo of a forest of some kind. Speaking of the Ents(that's what I call them anyway), you can shoot their core with the Charge Beam, or just go under them and shoot them with a missile. Know that the Ents will perform a stomp AOE and hit you unless you sensemove out of the way.

That's all I can think of op the top of my head. Could have sworn I had at least one more though...

LuigiandMetroidfan20

Metroid

Postby LuigiandMetroidfan20 » 05.21.14 8:56pm

Been too busy with college to post on the boards here at Metroid Database and also replay M:OM to find any other details, but just remembered something interesting:

Samus can sense move as Zero Suit Samus. What's particularly odd about it is that Samus must activate the boosters on her power suit to sense move in the game proper, but when playing as Zero Suit Samus in the escape sequence during the epilogue, Samus sense moves roughly as fast as she does in her power suit.
Opinions are opinions, not facts. Though, everyone is entitled to their opinion, of course. Even Metroids and Ridley, the unkillable beast.

Xerkxes

Metroid Queen

Postby Xerkxes » 05.21.14 9:46pm

The SenseMove ability never actually references her thrusters in any sort of description. Sure it's used, but there's nothing saying the ability is dedicated too or relies on the use of the thrusters. I've always interpreted the SenseMove ability as a psonic abilitiy. It being Samus detecting danger and her dodging.

It being the same speed as her with armor is I think is likely just a development oversight (since a lot of other abilities are somewhat slowed, like jumping at least feels slower), or they just chose not to edit the speed. bare in mind the Zero Suit Segment isn't very long on there isn't a WHOLE lot of things shooting at you that you can't evade simply by ignoring them.

keep in mind, games often have mechanics that not always make sense even despite established cannon.
Take Halo for example. Spartans have sealed suits with 90 minutes of air... but die in neck deep of water?
Done solely to treat the water as a sort of "soft wall", a "you can't go this way".
Or in fact, despite having 90 minutes of air, the game doesn't bother tracking your air supply, since the space segments are a few minutes at most.
So, SenseMoves speed being unchanged by the lack of armor could simply be to keep it functional.
Xerkxes: "Makes you wonder why Samus just didn't take one of the Crystals with her, and constantly charge it with the light beam while using it as a God damned +5 Brilliant Energy Spear of Smite-Ing "

LuigiandMetroidfan20

Metroid

Postby LuigiandMetroidfan20 » 05.22.14 8:58pm

The SenseMove ability never actually references her thrusters in any sort of description. Sure it's used, but there's nothing saying the ability is dedicated too or relies on the use of the thrusters. I've always interpreted the SenseMove ability as a psonic abilitiy. It being Samus detecting danger and her dodging.

It being the same speed as her with armor is I think is likely just a development oversight (since a lot of other abilities are somewhat slowed, like jumping at least feels slower), or they just chose not to edit the speed. bare in mind the Zero Suit Segment isn't very long on there isn't a WHOLE lot of things shooting at you that you can't evade simply by ignoring them.

keep in mind, games often have mechanics that not always make sense even despite established cannon.
Take Halo for example. Spartans have sealed suits with 90 minutes of air... but die in neck deep of water?
Done solely to treat the water as a sort of "soft wall", a "you can't go this way".
Or in fact, despite having 90 minutes of air, the game doesn't bother tracking your air supply, since the space segments are a few minutes at most.
So, SenseMoves speed being unchanged by the lack of armor could simply be to keep it functional.
True. I just found it worth pointing out that the devs clearly put in the detail of the boosters normally, yet her speed remains mostly unchanged in that manner. But, you're most likely right as to why they would not change it.

Anyways, something else I just remembered. Everyone remember how Samus said her Paralyzer was practically useless? Seems she may have gotten a bit of an upgrade in time for the events taking place on the Bottle Ship during Other M, seeing as her pistol no longer requires an auto charge and normal shots are capable of stunning Space Pirates.*

*Note: The information on the auto charge change is taken from this Metroid Wiki page: http://metroid.wikia.com/wiki/Paralyzer while the rest is taken from memory of the escape sequence in Other M.

metroidsuperfan11

Gamma Metroid

Postby metroidsuperfan11 » 05.23.14 12:09pm

a few minor details but nothing signifigant

1: using morphball on a flat surface or mostly flat area area if extremely fast compared to just moving normally
2: powerbombs can actually damage phantoon
3:in terms of using the shinespark unless you are creative with it it's not as fast as you might first think
4: useful spark locations include (but not limited to) where you get the Speedboster/Shinespark combo at the top shinespark left in the outside hallway like area, 1 energy energy part in sector 1 instead of using those crappy platforms just shinepark up there saves massive time too, in sector 3 going toward or from the volcano you can do 2 sparks to save time (or you can use spacejump) there are a few more sparks I know of but I can't think of them off the top of my head.
5: seeker missile alien (don't know it's name) instant kill with a powerbomb
6: it seems to me screwattack in this game isn't as powerful as you might first think it's strong but not that strong
7: forget charged plasma use super missiles they are immensly stronger
(lastly) 8: waist no time with the second fight with Nightmare keep when his super gravity is down spam super missiles like crazy if you don't at some point in the fight if you let him live too long he will create this mini blackhole which will stop your super missile's from reaching him if this happens try to get him between you and the blackhole so the SM intercept and hit him again you want the fight over with as fast as possibly possible

and that's it hope this helps

Xerkxes

Metroid Queen

Postby Xerkxes » 05.23.14 1:24pm

For stronger foes, yes.

Large groups of lesser foes spanding the length of a corridor? faster to use the charge plasma beam Since every creature it hits, triggers the diffusion beams explosion.

If it's just a small pocket... Super missile for good measure.

metroidsuperfan11

Gamma Metroid

Postby metroidsuperfan11 » 05.23.14 2:40pm

For stronger foes, yes.

Large groups of lesser foes spanding the length of a corridor? faster to use the charge plasma beam Since every creature it hits, triggers the diffusion beams explosion.

If it's just a small pocket... Super missile for good measure.
hmm yeah I guess your right guess I just love super missiles a bit to much in this game sorry can't help it I just find them so immensly more useful in this game but yeah your right

Return to “%s” Metroid: Other M