How did Ian's Death make Samus leave the GF?

Discuss anything related to Metroid: Other M here!
TheAccursedHunter01

Zeta Metroid

How did Ian's Death make Samus leave the GF?

Postby TheAccursedHunter01 » 02.09.14 8:15pm

Since Samus says that she left the GF military because of a "certain incident", I'm assuming Ian dying is the reason Samus left. The cutscene itself, for those of you who either want a refesher or forgot, is right here, although the flashback itself starts at 1:01 with more cheesy, stock sounding, AAA Hollywood Blockbuster music: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9aejN4tEsQQ I'm not saying his death is minor to Samus, but how would this make her leave the GF? One of the main reasons I'm asking this is because I don't know exactly what kind of relationship Samus had with Ian, and he wasn't built up in any way. We're just supposed to feel something when his death is brought out of nowhere...I sure didn't feel anything. I'd like to think that if Ian was REALLY so important to Samus, I figure he would have died on a mission where Samus could have saved him, but he died because Samus followed Adams orders instead, instead of the that scene we got. This could have been the cause of Adam and Samus' relationship seeming damaged/Adam seems to have a grudge against Samus(which he shouldn't really have given the circumstances/what Samus means to him/how close they "supposedly" are, and the fact that Samus said in a flashback that she could get away with leaving the GF because of Adam and Samus' relationship) in Other M and would cause Samus to want to become a bounty hunter. However, Samus admits that Adam made the right choice of not trying to save Ian, so her leaving the GF seems pointless, unless it's something else entirely that has not been revealed yet. You might say, "Well this is because Samus said she was so naive as a teenager in the GF, she left Adam because of Ian, despite Adam making the right call." We have no idea who Ian really is outside of being Adam's brother or his relationship with Samus, so when he dies, it is difficult to feel anything for him, besides Samus telling you that you should. The fact that you are told many times HOW to feel, instead of actually giving you adequate reason TO feel for anything(outside of Super Metroid nostalgia, a game that came out over 15 years ago) is another fault of the game, as said by the Gamingbrit in a way, but I digress.

If Samus was loyal to Adam in the GF, but left because of this, in a way, it adds to the damage of her character this game causes, or at the minimum makes Samus seem less interesting in some respect. Other M did not change Samus' image in my mind, she still seems as badass and capable as she always has been, and Other M has not corrupted my memories of previous games or made any of the the previous games seem any worse, that has not changed. I see Other M as Samus at her absolute lowest point. It's pretty low mind you, but at the end of the day, she still kicks a lot of ass. However, this scene seems to have a lot attached to it, yet no one has yet to really touch upon it(if anyone has proof on the contrary, send me evidence, I'd love a second take on this scene). It's a shame really, because it seems like Ian's death was supposed to be an important moment for Samus, if Ian's death is really what cause Samus to become a bounty hunter. The best thing I can think of to do in order to deal with this scene in the future, is to retcon it into being what I described earlier. Samus and Ian are on a mission where when Ian is in danger, Samus could have saved him, but she doesn't because she followed Adams orders. This leads to Ian getting killed, and this propels Samus into wanting to become a bounty hunter so she can do what she thinks is right, instead of being forced to follow orders. I'd say the main reason I'm bringing this up and getting so freaked out about it, is because Ian's death seems to be important to Samus considering how she talks about it and somewhat foreshadows it...not to mention it's supposedly the whole reason she became a bounty hunter in the first place. However, the scene and Ian as a character came out of nowhere, have very little impact because of its abruptness, and just leaves me confused on many levels. Does what I'm talking about make much sense? I have yet to see this scene be taken into much critical analysis, and if this moment is as important to Samus as I think it is, I am surprised no one has thought to talk about it. I was a bit surprised that it took me so long to think this way about the scene myself actually, and pose the question "what's up with this scene?" What do the rest of you think about what I've said and the scene itself? Are you all like me and notice something very wrong upon further inspection, or do some of you think I'm talking out of my ass and see something about this scene that I do not?

fs_feedback

Gamma Metroid

Re: How did Ian's Death make Samus leave the GF?

Postby fs_feedback » 02.11.14 9:09pm

There is only ONE way to look at this scene. Nintendo has little writing experience. They don't focus on story as a MAIN (yes I know Nintendo games have "a" story) point most of the time, and you can see it in Other M in the form of plot holes, major story elements left out (No reference to the Chozo, Saying Adam is closest she had to a father [yes lets just forget Old Bird and Grey Voice :facepalm: ], and writing affecting gameplay and vice versa (authorization). They tried to write a game with cut scenes, and dialogue when they are not known for doing so. My point is don't try to understand it. The people responsible for the writing did not understand it. They just kind of winged it and when you have to try to understand something they themselves did not... it is just not worth your time. You are a passionate fan TheAccursedHunter01, and I would assume anyone on these boards are. Just my word of advise. When a puzzle is missing pieces out of the box, don't bother trying to fill in the gaps. Just give up on it.
Mission 1: Apothem's Cookie Quest
Rank A
Cookies :cookie: x 7

HYRUL3

Dark Samus

Postby HYRUL3 » 02.11.14 9:22pm

Because anime melodrama, thats why.
"I am tired of being under the weight of greedy men who don't believe in anything."

Caleb89sw

Metroid

Postby Caleb89sw » 02.11.14 11:11pm

I don't know... I mean, I never really felt it was explictly stated that Ian's death was the reason she left. Sure, it's easy to assume that's the case (such as Samus' emphasis on "certain incident", the subtle connections made throughout the game between Samus, Adam and Ian i.e. the photograph, etc.), but as you said, it appears to come out of nowhere and doesn't really apply much to her reasons for leaving. It's not like we see her packing her bags or even a rehash the cutscene when she's leaving Adam after Ian's death. I always felt that the flashback was there just because it was relevent for the story at the time. Until we have reason to be certain that that was in fact the reason she left, I don't see why it can't be open for interpretation.

Xerkxes

Metroid Queen

Postby Xerkxes » 02.12.14 12:07am

^ this

Rebellious teen-ish lady with issues makes a mistake she later regrets sums it up nicely.
what with the whole "Young and Naive" thing.
Xerkxes: "Makes you wonder why Samus just didn't take one of the Crystals with her, and constantly charge it with the light beam while using it as a God damned +5 Brilliant Energy Spear of Smite-Ing "

Zynux

Super Metroid

Postby Zynux » 02.12.14 1:27am

I've actually completely forgotten about this scene, but your post probably sums up why. Its just forgettable and comes out of nowhere.
"Cut! There are no second chances for actors that fall to the abyss. Await your second casting in the darkness forever." - The Night of Wallachia

Ridley prepping his body for Other M

HYRUL3

Dark Samus

Postby HYRUL3 » 02.12.14 8:28am

^ this

Rebellious teen-ish lady with issues makes a mistake she later regrets sums it up nicely.
what with the whole "Young and Naive" thing.
Exactly.

And her leaving the GF does nothing to remedy anything, and there really is no proof that Adam was right, anyway, thus making it even more frustrating- was she really young and naive or was Adam wrong and she just has a problem accepting that?
"I am tired of being under the weight of greedy men who don't believe in anything."

okey

Metroid Queen

Postby okey » 02.12.14 11:28am

How did Samus leave the Federation Army to begin with?

The GF seems pretty chill for a corrupt military. They let you make up your own salute and quit whenever you feel like it.

HYRUL3

Dark Samus

Postby HYRUL3 » 02.12.14 12:34pm

How did Samus leave the Federation Army to begin with?

The GF seems pretty chill for a corrupt military. They let you make up your own salute and quit whenever you feel like it.
I laughed out loud when I first saw the salute cutscene. No discipline for clear insubordination? Come on. Get your shit together.

okey

Metroid Queen

Postby okey » 02.12.14 1:17pm

I guess Adam can be a pretty laid back dude when he's not withholding life-saving equipment or shooting civilians in the back.

HYRUL3

Dark Samus

Postby HYRUL3 » 02.12.14 5:10pm

He reminds me of my manager... sits in front of a computer and is passive aggressive while letting his people do all the grunt work. "Oh... That'll make your job easier? I'm sorry but I can't authorize that."

Thunderchin

Kraid

Postby Thunderchin » 03.17.14 8:00pm

I dunno. We're not even given an attachment to Ian, the scene isn't reflected upon or learned from (it comes across more as "waaaah, I lost my friend, waaaah"), and the only reason she offers herself to save him? That he's Adam's brother.
Chozo Ice Beam acquired, extinguish a Girl on Fire!

Zynux

Super Metroid

Postby Zynux » 03.17.14 9:11pm

and the only reason she offers herself to save him? That he's Adam's brother.
Didn't catch that before. That's pretty bad.
"Cut! There are no second chances for actors that fall to the abyss. Await your second casting in the darkness forever." - The Night of Wallachia

Ridley prepping his body for Other M

Snowy Silva

Alpha Metroid

Postby Snowy Silva » 03.19.14 12:59am

****** up story in a ****** up game. Ya know what I'm gonna do some day? Someday I'm going to remake Other M in the way it should've been made in the first place. This way everyone can hopefully forget this complete slap to the face Sakamoto considers a game.

Eat :metroid: :YS: because I say :thumbsdown: to :choogle: , :creature: , other m :gsamus: , :adam: , and :higgs: .
My fan game (Metroid: The Chaos Within) can be found here
I did have a thread here about it, buuuuut that was before I lost all my work

Return to “%s” Metroid: Other M