Possible Method to Retcon Other M

Discuss anything related to Metroid: Other M here!
TheAccursedHunter01

Zeta Metroid

Possible Method to Retcon Other M

Postby TheAccursedHunter01 » 04.27.14 12:35pm

If someone at Nintendo wants to keep the majority of the plot points in place to some extent(along with necessary character adjustments) I have a way to retcon this game. Keep in mind that this is a summary of sorts, since I could say a lot more, but I don't want this initial post to be too long. If this idea of mine sounds good, we can discuss it further. First of all, 95% of Samus' lines are her speaking in the third person, as if she's reading the events of Other M in the future from her diary. The times she gets to talk in the first person, like normal people, Jessica Martin doesn't sound that bad. Dialogue must be better, and don't make Samus narrate so much/state the obvious all the time. "I recounted the details of what had brought me to this place, then I asked what circumstances had brought the Federation here", is a terrible line to narrate, if Samus can just tell Adam's squad how she got there like a regular person for example. Put this game between Zero Mission and Prime. Have Samus team up with Adam's unit as her first joint mission, but Adam's still salty about Samus leaving the GF because of this game's place in the timeline. Since Adam is salty and Zero Mission is the first time she gets powerful pieces of equipment like the Plasma Beam and Power Bombs, justifies the authorization of her weapons. However, Adam does not know what all of her weapons do since some of the weapons she has he would have never seen before. If you go by the manga, Samus basically stuck with the Power Beam and base Power Suit before Zero Mission...that's about it aside from perhaps the Morph Ball since Adam gives Samus Bombs and Missiles(but that's where the manga breaks canon real hard anyway so void that out if you wish). Am I the only one who found it kind of weird that Adam knew every ability that Samus had and what they did? Other, non lethal power ups like the Gravity Suit and Space Jump are fine though.

Return the Space Jump to how it was in the 2D games and allowing the player to use the Gravity Suit early in the game, there could be creative uses for the aura-like Feature of the suit from M:OM. Maybe Samus could activate the field on specific objects like large crates or extend the field when it's already active in order to lift large objects effortlessly(yes I've sen the Vorash Lethal Strike, but you get my point). Maybe she could activate the field around specific parts of her body, like her left leg for example, in order to increase her leg's kicking power, while not making it any more difficult to move her leg since the field is outside of her armor. Please for the love of God don't let enemies knock Samus out of the Speed Booster. I can understand certain attacks knocking Samus out of the Screw Attack I suppose depending on what enemy and what attack(the plant things leading up to the Ki Hunter King knocking Samus out of the Screw Attack is bullshit though). However, Samus' Speed Booster makes her a force of nature that can't be stopped, yet in Other M the Puffers knock her out of it with ease when they self destruct. Get rid of recoil from her beam and missile weapons. Other M is the only game where that happens and it can make Samus vulnerable to attack(especially when she does it in midair and she does a Power Ranger pose). The recoil makes Samus vulnerable and it's the only game to do it, so I don't like it for that. The Charge Beam can somehow deactivate the Speed Booster btw, even though Samus is running at super sonic speeds. This could be a quick spin off for the 3DS or something to retcon Other M as quickly as possible.

From there, the game takes place on a Space Pirate research facility instead of a GF one. Having the GF try and make bio-weapons before Fusion conflict with Fusion a lot, so the Pirate's doing it instead makes MUUUUUUCH more sense. The whole station is designed to develop bio-weapons(perhaps study other creatures as well), and the fact that they are trying to make unfrezable Metroids that can be controlled is the big reveal. Ignore and remove the stuff about "The Baby" and motherhood. I remember hearing that motherhood was supposedly a big part of M:OM, but I didn't see heads or tails of motherhood aside from the words mother and baby being used A LOT. Have Samus encounter most of the events, creatures and so on(correct/legitimate the Hell Run for the love of Christ), and when she gets to Ridley showing up, she temporarily freaks out since she didn't expect Ridley to survive getting blown to bits in Zero Mission. When she has the PTSD freakout, it lasts about 1-3 seconds, and it causes Samus to lash out at Ridley in a sort of Berseker rage instead of curling up into the fetal position and losing her suit. I believe lashing out at what caused PTSD in the first place is a common response depending on what it is. Her freaking out here would allow her to be fine when Ridley comes back in future games. If Ian's death is what made Samus leave the GF, have Ian die on a mission on a planet(take place underground I suppose) where Samus could have saved him, but Adam ordered her not to because of reasons like Ian's with his squad or something, even though she could have. Ian ends up dying and Samus leaves to be a Bounty Hunter so she doesn't have to put up with that shit anymore.

At the end there is the discovery that the Space Pirates are trying to make unfreezable Metroids, and the Space pirates made a Mother Brain clone to control them since they were around Mother Brain in Zero Mission. If you think about it, how did the GF make a Mother Brain clone so successfully? They weren't around Mother Brain like the Pirates. Adam and Samus make up(without Samus getting shot in the fucking back), Adam sacrifices himself to make sure the Pirates do not get the research of the unfreezable Metroids, while Samus activates the self destruct sequence, then everyone and the rest of Adam's squad(maybe it's just Anthony again) get the hell out of dodge. Perhaps when Samus encounters the unfreezable Metroids, she gets overwhelmed and only finds out that they're unfreezable(even though every enemy can get frozen with enough beam shots pumped into them) only when it's too late. Then Adam saves her in some way, they make up, then Adam sacrifices himself because how he saves Samus puts him in the position to destroy the Metroids, like he's in the Sector Zero command center or something. I hope that made sense and that you all get the gist of what I'm trying to say.

The whole basis of my idea is to remove stuff that I think is unnecessary like the Baby Metroid since it didn't REALLY have that much effect on the plot aside from making Samus feel all moody, and to move the game's events to a place in the timeline so that the game actually makes some sort of sense. I think my idea would work pretty well, although it doesn't necessarily have to be a game. Manga, anime, Saturday morning cartoon, whatever, as long as it's distributed to everyone and that this whole Other M debacle gets sorted out since Nintendo didn't say anything about it. The only real plotpoint i think could be fiddled with is the Deleter subplot, but not have a Deleter. Instead, perhaps there's someone in Adam's squad that gives the corrupt side of the Federation certain details about the Pirate's experiments, perhaps the Pirates made Nightmare and that the traitor marine give the corrupt GF information to make their own in Fusion. Maybe have the Pirate's Nightmare look different(maybe act a bit different too). I apologize if this was a bit long winded, but this is a short as I could make it. I think this could work pretty well so I wanted to get my idea out there. What do the rest of you think? Anything to add?

Zynux

Super Metroid

Re: Possible Method to Retcon Other M

Postby Zynux » 04.28.14 4:18pm

From there, the game takes place on a Space Pirate research facility instead of a GF one. Having the GF try and make bio-weapons before Fusion conflict with Fusion a lot, so the Pirate's doing it instead makes MUUUUUUCH more sense.
Yes. Anything to differentiate itself from Fusion's plot points and twists would greatly improve the plot as a whole.
"Cut! There are no second chances for actors that fall to the abyss. Await your second casting in the darkness forever." - The Night of Wallachia

Ridley prepping his body for Other M

TheAccursedHunter01

Zeta Metroid

Postby TheAccursedHunter01 » 05.25.14 7:03pm

Perhaps the Space Pirate research facility could take place on one of the Frigates that escaped Zebes that were mentioned in the Prime 1 scan logs. Perhaps at the end of this retcon, Samus gains information as to the whereabouts of the Frigate Orpheon so it could be sort of a lead into Metroid Prime. Adam sacrificing himself could spur Samus on to going after Orpheon immediately after the retcon game, since I don't think Samus was ordered to investigate the Orpheon, more she just found it and investigated the distress signal. Besides, the Orpheon was used to experiment on the natives of Tallon IV, so having the retcon Other M take place on another one, perhaps one that's bigger if this retcon will take place on the one station like Other M, might be a more efficient way of making Other M make sense and fit into the timeline better.

Doc Scratch

Omega Metroid

Postby Doc Scratch » 04.03.15 9:07pm

There's no need to do an elaborate retcon. Just ignore Other M and pretend it doesn't exist.
Suckers.

TheAccursedHunter01

Zeta Metroid

Postby TheAccursedHunter01 » 04.04.15 10:39am

There's no need to do an elaborate retcon. Just ignore Other M and pretend it doesn't exist.
Ignoring a problem isn't going to solve anything, it just allows someone to repeat the same mistake again, and I don't want another repeat of Other M. If Nintendo releases another Metroid game and its good, I'll ignore Other M to a certain extent. If we let Nintendo forget Other M happened though, someone will forget or just not care, and they could be bad.

HYRUL3

Dark Samus

Postby HYRUL3 » 04.05.15 4:56pm

Maybe we just pretend Super Metroid is the Ocarina of Time of the series, and splits the timeline after. So Fusion is in Universe A and Other M is in Universe B :P
"I am tired of being under the weight of greedy men who don't believe in anything."

Return to “%s” Metroid: Other M