hmm there is good and bad about other m SPOILERS ARE PRESENT

Discuss anything related to Metroid: Other M here!
metroidsuperfan11

Gamma Metroid

hmm there is good and bad about other m SPOILERS ARE PRESENT

Postby metroidsuperfan11 » 05.23.14 11:41am

good stuff here-well let me think I would think most people agree from what I can tell at least is that most like the gameplay in other m. I personally still prefer a few gameplay elements from the other games but this is still pretty good in my eyes. Also personally I love the sensemove I think it's a blast to mess around with because it's so broken. (I'm a type of player who loves to mess around with broken gameplay stuff forget professionalism it's fun to use and I'm sticking by that) But here's one thing that seem to really annoy people as far as I can tell and that seems to be the authriozation. Which always confused me the only actual problem I had with authroziation is having to fight those enemies in that one room when you get into sector 3 the one where he takes about a good minute before you get the ice beam. This isn't a problem at all in normal mode but in hard mode unless you are prefect at the sense move you will most likely die. (I have overcome this problem but still my point stands) I've just never really had a problem with it I don't know why people do but whatever I guess. hmm now on to the bad stuff.

Bad stuff here- the story well for me at least I don't hate the story as much as I used to but there are some issues with it. Such as Samus placing far to much trust in him. (Varia suit didn't have trouble with it myself but hey that's just me) Plus they could have done more with the story at various points Adam contacts Samus or the other way around she contacts him once when at the research buliding that blows up in sector 1. Even though it's revealed that Adam is still alive signifigantly later in the game after the fight with Ridley they just forget about him he does nothing. Backing up a bit whenever Adam contacts her it's strictly bussiness athorizing one of her beam weapons or something else they could have gone beyond this having various points where Samus and Adam could have talked about ..... something such as some of her missions she's went on and what she was thinking about, What is her thoughts on Adam, could have talked about her federation day's more in depth. But no they completely missed this opprotunity this golden shining opprotunity.

Okay now here's where you come in (you can also say what you think of my thoughts as well not the point of this bit but still it's an option) please tell me what you think of this game the good and the bad in fact what I said above what I thought was good and bad you don't have to talk about the stuff I said you can or if you don't want to that's fine too it could be anything good and bad about this game just say whatever below have a good day and please put your shotguns away and read this before typing any hateful reply's if any at all but anyway see you all later and have a good day bye

PS: not the best speller in the world sorry about that

CaptainHobo29

Mochtroid

Re: hmm there is good and bad about other m SPOILERS ARE PRE

Postby CaptainHobo29 » 07.28.14 11:49pm

Personally, I've always felt sorry for Metroid: Other M o_O

To me it gets way too much hate even though it isn't great by any means <3

I must admit though I've never played Other M, but I do know a crap ton about it and have seen the entire game.

Metroid: Other M is by no means a perfect game. It has its flaws in its story of course, the entire PTSD thing (although I don't really get bothered by that scene too much) the weird unfitting authorization, that you mentioned, the cliche's, the mediocre voice acting. All that stuff.
However, even with all these things I feel like there easily overlooked. Yes the
whole Adam's death scene is way too much for Samus' character
the obvious
Federation is corrupt thing
things I'm sure you've heard before, and I think most of us agree :thumbsdown:

But from what I've seen from the game, and from people, the gameplay is pretty darn good. It's responsive, action packed, and still holds true to other incarnations of previous Metroid titles' gameplay. So with that, why can't we overlook the cliches? Even with these cliches I still think the plot is medicore and not terrible. Sure it's not a great Metroid plot, but as a standalone it's alright.

Imagine if you saw Call of Duty suddenly having this plot, a very popular franchise, fans wouldn't hate it cause they're not expecting a masterpiece. Call of Duty has terrible plots, and it still sells better than Metroid.

I think the problem people have with Other M's story is they were expecting way too much. It's not terrible, it's better than a lot of other video games' plots, and it just doesn't deserve a ton of hate. >_>

Xerkxes

Metroid Queen

Postby Xerkxes » 07.29.14 2:35am

I think the problem people have with Other M's story is they were expecting way too much
Been under a rock?
There's a lot wrong with the plot and story, the conversation's been done to death all over the internet, if you think it's because "they were expecting too much" you haven't been listening to what people have been saying.
This game, hate it or love it, has damaged the series image.

Look around, read what's been said a bajillion times, re-evaluate your opinion, and whether it remains the same or changes is irrelevant, this horse beaten into a goopy mess and left to rot in the summer sun.

http://moonbase.rydia.net/mental/blog/g ... ticle.html
Here, less angry reason why Other M is bad.
It doesn't talk about the gameplay (save for a few parts were the the story imposes on the gameplay in bad ways), but gets pretty spot on what's wrong the game's story.
Xerkxes: "Makes you wonder why Samus just didn't take one of the Crystals with her, and constantly charge it with the light beam while using it as a God damned +5 Brilliant Energy Spear of Smite-Ing "

CaptainHobo29

Mochtroid

Postby CaptainHobo29 » 07.29.14 2:48am

Ah the nicest type of people, gee I wonder if it says give your opinion on the game, try to grow up mate, thanks! <3

Xerkxes

Metroid Queen

Postby Xerkxes » 07.29.14 11:38am

Ah the nicest type of people, gee I wonder if it says give your opinion on the game, try to grow up mate, thanks! <3
Wow, okay. Either that came off in the wrong context or you took that the wrong way.

In any case..
Your late to a party people got fed up with years ago, and you seemed misinformed and/or under-informed as to why other people are upset over the game.
There's a reason this thread wasn't responded too even once in 2 months, you don't have to go far in this same forum (same page even) to find similar threads where the subject has been done to death, undeath, and redeath.

I was just trying to keep it brief, this topic tends to get blown out of proportions at a volcanic level where ever it happens, whenever it happens, between Die hard and light fans alike.

To the point, rather than try and debate with you what a lot of people find wrong about the game, I linked you a very apt essay on the subject, to avoid arguing and save time for both of us.
Whether you chose to read it, let alone agree with it, is your choice. I'm just letting you know that "people were expecting too much" isn't the major problem.

I apologize if I came off harsh or dickish.
Xerkxes: "Makes you wonder why Samus just didn't take one of the Crystals with her, and constantly charge it with the light beam while using it as a God damned +5 Brilliant Energy Spear of Smite-Ing "

metroidsuperfan11

Gamma Metroid

Postby metroidsuperfan11 » 08.03.14 12:19pm

wow didn't realize this subject had been done to the extent you all have said I don't think I'll post about it anymore my mistake I guess

Meta Ridley

Metroid Queen

Postby Meta Ridley » 08.07.14 1:03pm

I enjoyed Other M's gameplay. That's just about it. Other M should have never existed for it has stained the Metroid series. Revival will take an absolutely outstanding game.

KazerBeam

Gamma Metroid

Postby KazerBeam » 08.11.14 12:59am

I enjoyed Other M's gameplay. That's just about it. Other M should have never existed for it has stained the Metroid series. Revival will take an absolutely outstanding game.
I enjoyed the Sense Move and....um....hm. I'm actually kinda stuck in the game because it says I should be fighting a boss and I'm in a swamp room :/ . In any case, like I always say. Metroid Other M would've been a good Non-Metroid Game. It doesn't fit with Metroid, but would've been good as it's own IP kinda like Super Mario Sunshine
Looking for ways to glitch Metroid Games into oblivion.
This makes me remember when Samus didn't talk and there were dinosaurs and black and white TV
I accidentally Zebes. Was that dangerous?

Meta Ridley

Metroid Queen

Postby Meta Ridley » 08.12.14 5:11am

Even though Other M is the most hated game in the series it has my favorite wall jumping. I remembered this after the Super Metroid game I'm playing had me do stupidly long wall jumps for no reason. Even though I'm using a controller, it's such a pain.

Xerkxes

Metroid Queen

Postby Xerkxes » 08.12.14 10:33am

Concentration was my favorite thing from Other M.
I believe it should be balanced better, All missiles for 1.5 seconds of not moving makes having ammo almost pointless, it only mattered in Hard mode (Fuck you again, Ridley).
I'd have slowed it down and made it so you only get back 5 or 10 + (5 * X), X being the mount of E-recovery tanks.

Otherwise, Makes Samus seem tougher as she can continue on sheer willpower, and mechanically it removes grinding for health and ammo at monster spawns and scenario's that give you missiles when you need them anyway.

a boss that requires missiles will almost always drop them in high quantity so you effectively have infinite ammo anyway. When you came across a "Super Missile" door and had no super missiles in stock, it was just annoying to having to farm enemies for them so you could open it.

---

I also liked the Diffusion beam: Not for how cool it is, but something Metroid should have a little more of.
It's an unnecessary item, but not useless or unwelcomed. It's single purpose is to make your charge shot more powerful.
I know it's not the first, but it's still something I think should be noted.

I think Nintendo is having a hard time with upgrades because Samus pretty well has everything she could possible need without making the items HIGHLY situational (like a lot of Zelda items past Wind Waker)

They should make more upgrades that aren't crucial to progression, while keeping the ones that do to remedy this.

Meta Ridley

Metroid Queen

Postby Meta Ridley » 08.12.14 1:20pm

Other M was going to have the Gravity Suit but Sakamoto ruined it which resulted in the creation of the 'Gravity Feature'.
If there will be any upgrades (Or Metroid games...) in the future, I would like less Sakamoto in my Metroids. I don't enjoy what he did during Other M.
"Oh, why is Samus' arm cannon red? The Plasma Beam? That looks so silly! Get rid of it."
>_<X Much salt.

metroidsuperfan11

Gamma Metroid

Postby metroidsuperfan11 » 08.18.14 1:18pm

Other M was going to have the Gravity Suit but Sakamoto ruined it which resulted in the creation of the 'Gravity Feature'.
If there will be any upgrades (Or Metroid games...) in the future, I would like less Sakamoto in my Metroids. I don't enjoy what he did during Other M.
"Oh, why is Samus' arm cannon red? The Plasma Beam? That looks so silly! Get rid of it."
>_<X Much salt.

now just wait a sec not all of sakamoto's ideas are bad (debatably) fusion is pretty good and who could forget zero mission the masterpiece remake of the original outdated piece of junk

Meta Ridley

Metroid Queen

Postby Meta Ridley » 08.18.14 6:38pm

now just wait a sec not all of sakamoto's ideas are bad (debatably) fusion is pretty good and who could forget zero mission the masterpiece remake of the original outdated piece of junk
I realize that but if someone has a record of being a good citizen then goes and stabs someone else that will forever be on their record and will always be the first thing people notice. Other M is Sakamoto's stabbing... Into the hearts of all Metroid gamers

KazerBeam

Gamma Metroid

Postby KazerBeam » 08.19.14 2:00am

I realize that but if someone has a record of being a good citizen then goes and stabs someone else that will forever be on their record and will always be the first thing people notice. Other M is Sakamoto's stabbing... Into the hearts of all Metroid gamers
Not all. Remember that some people enjoyed Other M.
Looking for ways to glitch Metroid Games into oblivion.
This makes me remember when Samus didn't talk and there were dinosaurs and black and white TV
I accidentally Zebes. Was that dangerous?

Meta Ridley

Metroid Queen

Postby Meta Ridley » 08.19.14 1:41pm

I kinda hate how whenever I say 'all' for dramatic effect I actually mean most but someone takes it literally ._. I enjoyed Other M.

Return to “%s” Metroid: Other M