Operation New Mother: Requesting Other M to be remade

Discuss anything related to Metroid: Other M here!
ganonlink1991

Mochtroid

Operation New Mother: Requesting Other M to be remade

Postby ganonlink1991 » 12.28.14 11:25pm

Now that Operation Moonfall was a success with Majora's Mask getting a remake, maybe it's time for the Metroid fans to unite and ask Other M to be remade as a proper Metroid game. Nintendo has stated that they are paying a lot of attention to the web, so maybe if enough fans ask for Other M to get it's necessary remake, solving it's gameplay and storyline issues, they'll consider it.

Zynux

Super Metroid

Re: Operation New Mother: Requesting Other M to be remade

Postby Zynux » 12.29.14 5:07am

Could work, but I'd honestly just rather Nintendo focus on a new Metroid game entirely detached from Other M at this point.
"Cut! There are no second chances for actors that fall to the abyss. Await your second casting in the darkness forever." - The Night of Wallachia

Ridley prepping his body for Other M

Remnants

Metroid Queen

Postby Remnants » 12.29.14 12:06pm

Could work, but I'd honestly just rather Nintendo focus on a new Metroid game entirely detached from Other M at this point.
This.

That said, I doubt there is much will to push Nintendo for a remake of Other M. What's more, Majora's Mask was first released in the year 2000 which means it's been 14 years since it's release. Other M was released in 2010. Four years isn't a very long time in the gaming world, is it?

Other M should have been a movie or a manga in the first place given the emphasis on story. If anything, I would prefer a remake of the story in the form of a movie or manga which retcons Other M and hopefully gives proper respect to Samus as a person who is a bounty hunter who has as much experience as she does as well as executing the "perfect military mind" that is Adam Malkovich.

Xerkxes

Metroid Queen

Postby Xerkxes » 12.29.14 5:46pm

Other M could be greatly "fixed" with simple dialogue changes. and greatly enhanced with a diary/scan system to add more detail to the story.
But even if they went the route of attempting to "redeem" Other M, I doubt many of the already hate-happy "fans" would even give it a chance.

They should honestly move on, maybe come back to it in the future. And I agree with Remnants, perhaps not as a game.
Xerkxes: "Makes you wonder why Samus just didn't take one of the Crystals with her, and constantly charge it with the light beam while using it as a God damned +5 Brilliant Energy Spear of Smite-Ing "

Zynux

Super Metroid

Postby Zynux » 12.30.14 2:23am

This.

That said, I doubt there is much will to push Nintendo for a remake of Other M. What's more, Majora's Mask was first released in the year 2000 which means it's been 14 years since it's release. Other M was released in 2010. Four years isn't a very long time in the gaming world, is it?
This is a good point. Only 4 years is probably way too early for a remake for a game that became so polarizing in the end, compared to Majora's Mask which is a cult classic from a decade ago.
"Cut! There are no second chances for actors that fall to the abyss. Await your second casting in the darkness forever." - The Night of Wallachia

Tim

MDB Staff - Engineer

Postby Tim » 12.30.14 10:54am

You guys seem to be forgetting that Other M is the remake.

We don't need another one.

Doc Scratch

Omega Metroid

Postby Doc Scratch » 04.03.15 8:53pm

Why? Generally people ask for remakes of good games.
Suckers.

Tim

MDB Staff - Engineer

Postby Tim » 04.04.15 3:50pm

The last original Metroid game came out 8 years ago. The last original non-prime game came out 13 years ago.

I think we need something
new

HYRUL3

Dark Samus

Postby HYRUL3 » 04.05.15 4:54pm

I'd rather they just make a new game and not even acknowledge the controversy. It's exhausting at this point.
"I am tired of being under the weight of greedy men who don't believe in anything."

Infinity's End

MDB Staff - Designer

Postby Infinity's End » 08.19.15 10:34pm

:madeline: & :melissa: Don't need to be spoken of ever again in any Metroid game, period.

:higgs: on the other hand... >_> he could probably get his own game.
ImageVisit our DA Gallery! A LOT of unique artworks and still growing!
A piece of concept art is not a legally binding contract.

newhenpal

Alpha Metroid

Postby newhenpal » 08.20.15 1:30pm

Why? Generally people ask for remakes of good games.
It's also not a bad idea to remake not-so-good games that had a lot of untapped potential. Other M arguably did not reach its full potential, but it's not because of technological limitations, an insufficient budget, or aged industry-wide game design. The Wii obviously wasn't a powerhouse system at the time, but it should have been enough for Sakamoto and co., who had plenty of capital, to make an excellent game unmarred by archaic and/or boneheaded decisions (e.g., wiimote-only gameplay). Yes, there are plenty of easily fixable mistakes, but the core would still be the same controversial game.

At best, even with a very drastic reworking, you would end up with a polygonal take on Fusion. Now I loves me some Fusion, but is it really worth the extra time, extra money, and anguish that would come from opening old wounds just to get Fusion, Part II: Decent Edition? All we would get is a game ranging from "serviceable" to "actually pretty good," but at the cost of fractionalizing the fanbase even further and possibly pushing back the release of the next mainline Metroid game.

Zynux

Super Metroid

Postby Zynux » 08.20.15 5:48pm

Other M did have some untapped potential, but to avoid the negativity surrounding it's better to lift the ideas from that game onto a new game instead of just a remake. A remake with the words "Metroid Other M" in the title will get a large portion of the fans upset regardless of quality and will automatically be dragged through the mud because of it.

Xandalf

Gamma Metroid

Postby Xandalf » 08.20.15 5:58pm

:higgs: on the other hand... >_> he could probably get his own game.
This. I legitimately want Anthony Higgs to have a game. Almost as much as Rundas.

I'd rather them focus on a new game rather than remaking the game that probably needs it the least (Since it's the newest, still), if they're to remake a game them they should definitely do it to Metroid II. Of course, we have AM2R so remakes really isn't a thing we should worry about for now.

VGMStudios

Ridley

Postby VGMStudios » 08.21.15 10:12pm

Was MM really remade or just ported?

I really wish people would just leave MOM alone and move on already.
Why reopen a wound over and over again. I am rather sick and tired of these crazy fans.
The game wasn't that bad and people really need to get over it and move on.
It's because of this kind of stupidity and negativity that Sakamoto got depressed and said he won't work on another metroid game anytime soon. It's like you are slapping him in his face over and over.
Not cool.

vgm out...
Super Metroid, the most perfect game ever created! Period!

Zynux

Super Metroid

Postby Zynux » 08.22.15 1:43am

It's because of this kind of stupidity and negativity that Sakamoto got depressed and said he won't work on another metroid game anytime soon.
You are misrepresenting what Sakamoto said by adding your own speculation of the events. All Sakamoto said was that he wanted to focus on newer projects to "create entertainment that's completely different and that brings new emotions."

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/04/15/ ... of-metroid
In an interview with CVG, Sakamoto, director of Super Metroid and Metroid: Other M, was asked whether he plans to return working on more traditional game series, since he's currently serving as a producer on Tomodachi Life. "I do not intend to do so," Sakamoto replied. "There might [currently] be various tasks I might be involved in with past series. However, even if so, I would always like to introduce new entertainment and new fun to those series.
"... This might be indirect, but if we can make new types of gamers enjoy video games for the first time through Tomodachi Life, then they might eventually become interested in the more conventional games. ... I would like to challenge myself to do that."
Nothing here even remotely suggests that he got "depressed" because of fan backlash (in fact Nintendo overall has been very quiet about Other M) and that it's the reason he wants to move on: this is entirely speculation. It's just PR speak that he wants to "innovate" the industry more with new projects, similar buzzwords that the rest of industry and it's developers are trying to do. Hell, it honestly sounds like Sakamoto wants to go down the same route Sakurai does, and have more freedom to do his own thing.

Sakamoto is a grown ass man. In any creative endeavor, even harsh criticism comes with the territory, especially if you are delivering a product or service. He will be fine, regardless if he tries his hand on another Metroid or moves on. Besides the occasional jab or teasing from what I've seen most have already stopped caring about Other M anyway.

Return to “%s” Metroid: Other M