Metroid Other M what did you like?

Discuss anything related to Metroid: Other M here!
metroidsuperfan11

Gamma Metroid

Metroid Other M what did you like?

Postby metroidsuperfan11 » 03.13.15 8:03pm

90% of the other m fourm is complaining (no I'm not calling on everyone to report others this is a different one chill out) and the other 10% is various other things (her appearace, movement differences ect.) But finally getting to the point what do you guys like about the game about time a glow of positive besides the music show up. Personally my favorite part of the game is the way you aquire items (I liked it ok). Yeah it wasn't your precious tradition but that was my favorite thing from the game the way you get them and the items themselves what about you?

PS. Yes you can still put music on here as an option to anyone who wondered.

Apothem

Re: Metroid Other M what did you like?

Postby Apothem » 03.14.15 12:43am

I've been a very vocal critic of the game since launch, but even I can muster up a bit of positivity:
  • I've grown increasingly fond of the sleek Power/Varia Suit redesign - thanks greatly to the figma - and particularly like the Smash 4 alteration. Nothing will likely ever replace the Prime Trilogy version as my favorite, but aside from the improbably pointy breastplate the Other M design is at least a tad more practical and agile.
  • The cameo boss fights were a rare nice treat, even if not a one of'em made a lick of sense in context.
  • I liked Anthony Higgs. There wasn't anything special or particularly unique about his character, but he was the only person in the whole game with a personality, and also the only person one either didn't at all care about or want to immediately jettison from the nearest airlock.
  • I liked Adam's sacrifice, not because it made any kind of sense, but rather because I hated his character and was sick of his restrictions. It was also unintentionally hilarious.
  • I generally liked the faster paced, more action/grapple oriented combat style of the game. It was a breath of fresh air after the slow, methodical pace of the Prime Trilogy and felt like an adequate adaptation and expansion of Samus' signature agility to a 3D game-space. It did, however, get old fairly quick as enemies became increasingly "damage-spongey", which only served to needlessly draw out encounters. I have absolutely no love for the terrible first-person implementation, the missile system, or those horrid pixel hunts.

Overall, minus the story faults, I wouldn't be opposed to either Team Ninja or another developer building upon Other M's mechanics, designing them with a proper control scheme in mind such as the GamePad/Pro Controller. A fast, agile Samus is fun to play; switching between first and third-person is an interesting dynamic; grapples and melee finishers are an excellent break from mindless shooting; a third-person action game would offer plenty of possibility for the Morph Ball, Speed Booster/Shinspark, Space Jump/Screw Attack, and the Grapple Beam. It would just need a competent developer.

I'd absolutely LOVE to see Platinum take on the franchise.

Cryptid10

Alpha Metroid

Postby Cryptid10 » 03.14.15 1:12am

I liked the suit design. It is one of my favs. Prime felt like super metroid's style in a new sense, while other m is a modern zero mission. I don't mean gameplay wise, just style. The soundtrack was great, but some of the iconic themes were kinda messed up (Samus's appearance fanfare...ugh) :X:
Samau5 - "For Lack of a Federation Platoon"
Featuring tracks such as: "Phazon n' Stuff", "Metroid Problems", "BSL", and more!

Xerkxes

Metroid Queen

Postby Xerkxes » 03.14.15 8:49am

Super Action Samus: Samus has been a super human in power armor for a while, this was the first time we actually got to see it in action. It was fun to kick the tar out of things.

Powered up weapons: Non of her weapons have ever felt so powerful, Especially Super Missiles and Power bombs.

Non piss slow beams: If you pay attention, each beam upgrade speeds up your beam weapon's travel speed. By the end of the game your plasma beam actually travels at something comparable to a bullet, not something so slow a child can dodge.

Concentration: My problem with Zelda and Metroid is that there's these ammo systems, and means to upgrade them, but in all honestly the ammo is useless, most bosses are designed to drop ammo anyway, and you basically get it back for defending yourself against attacks. Concentration lets you restore ammo anyway, and gives a neat power to Samus to boot.

Thrusters: Samus actively uses those thruster.. that until Other M(excluding smash), have never "seen" to be in use. But now she's using it to evade, assist wall jumping (and can still do it without, as per her doing it in Zero Suit), and so on.
Xerkxes: "Makes you wonder why Samus just didn't take one of the Crystals with her, and constantly charge it with the light beam while using it as a God damned +5 Brilliant Energy Spear of Smite-Ing "

Zynux

Super Metroid

Postby Zynux » 03.14.15 6:51pm

The CG Cut-scenes were beautiful and I really liked them. I think it shows how much care they wanted to put into this game to give it such visuals.
"Cut! There are no second chances for actors that fall to the abyss. Await your second casting in the darkness forever." - The Night of Wallachia

Ridley prepping his body for Other M

fs_feedback

Gamma Metroid

Postby fs_feedback » 03.14.15 7:15pm

Sidehoppers. One of my favorite creatures for no reason. I don't know why I like them, and yet I was saddened when they only had tiny cameos in the Prime games. It was cool to see them again.

I was happy to see Nightmare again, but the fight was still better in Fusion.

I guess Anthony was kinda cool and I wouldn't be opposed to seeing him in a game again.

I did like going back to the station after the games completion, and I hope this can happen in future games as well (assuming it doesn't involve the first go through being linear).

The shinespark was kinda satisfying, and I hope it is as useful as it was in the 2D metroid games in the future.

The cut scenes were animated well, but I hope the character designs kinda change in the future. My friends joked around when they saw the trailer before me, and then said to me "did you see the new Metal Gear trailer".

I like the suit design (minus the missing shoulder talons).

The beams were very satisfying (I missed beam stacking).

Thats all I can say I liked about the game atm.
Mission 1: Apothem's Cookie Quest
Rank A
Cookies :cookie: x 7

Apothem

Postby Apothem » 03.14.15 10:17pm

@Xerkxes: Agreed, though concentration would've been much better had one been able to use it whenever, instead of when Samus was nearly spent.

@Zynux: The CGi was impressive, it's a pity the content of the cutscenes was so frequently underwhelming. D-Rockets does good work regardless.

metroidsuperfan11

Gamma Metroid

Postby metroidsuperfan11 » 03.20.15 6:37pm

Love all the responses not expecting to get a 180 turn from bad to good there are problems with this game but it's good to know others like at least some things about this game

Doc Scratch

Omega Metroid

Postby Doc Scratch » 04.03.15 8:47pm

I liked when the game ended.

On a less bitter note, I like the gameplay concept of Desbrachians and they're probably the only thing from Other M I wouldn't mind reappearing in future Metroid games.
Suckers.

HYRUL3

Dark Samus

Postby HYRUL3 » 04.05.15 4:57pm

I'm replaying Other M for the first time in years, and I must say I love how bad ass Samus feels physically. Some of her overkill takedowns are just brutal.

Shooting and quickly dodging attacks feels pretty slick, too.
"I am tired of being under the weight of greedy men who don't believe in anything."

Xerkxes

Metroid Queen

Postby Xerkxes » 04.05.15 8:24pm

I'm replaying Other M for the first time in years, and I must say I love how bad ass Samus feels physically. Some of her overkill takedowns are just brutal.

Shooting and quickly dodging attacks feels pretty slick, too.
dat whale tossing though..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nsn5jiN9F-k
@ 3:43, if you already have watched this video.

I wish someone would do a compelation of all the Lethal Strikes and Overblasts. Seems like every few months someone pops up with one I've never hear of.
Xerkxes: "Makes you wonder why Samus just didn't take one of the Crystals with her, and constantly charge it with the light beam while using it as a God damned +5 Brilliant Energy Spear of Smite-Ing "

HYRUL3

Dark Samus

Postby HYRUL3 » 04.05.15 9:22pm

Well shit.

I miss that boss battle. That was really awesome and I remember enjoying the hell out of that.
"I am tired of being under the weight of greedy men who don't believe in anything."

Mea quidem sententia

Alpha Metroid

Postby Mea quidem sententia » 05.01.15 11:40am

• Close-combat.
  • The power suit design.
  • The fact that the varia and gravity suits aren't suits, but features. It makes more sense.
  • Samus demonstrates more feats.
  • The way Samus' weapons were portrayed as more powerful than what we've seen before, especially the power bomb.

VGMStudios

Ridley

Postby VGMStudios » 05.02.15 7:26pm

Those who criticize the game really need to get over themselves already.
Honestly the game isn't that bad.

I like the way the game flows. The way Samus moves and runs. Quick and agile.
The combat system is pretty good too.
The first person mini games are okay but could have been better.
I also like the different environments. It's like M4 in 3d.
The story is okay too, not as bad as everyone makes it out to be. Though yes it could be better but there are worse story writting out there.

Like attack on titans or korra. Give me a break. So stupid.

Vgm out...
Super Metroid, the most perfect game ever created! Period!

PhaazeWillRiseAgain

Mochtroid

Postby PhaazeWillRiseAgain » 10.03.15 12:51pm

Admittedly next to nothing. Only one thing really stuck otu for me and that was the speed booster. It was lots of fun and actually felt like it fit in the 2.5D style of the game. I wish more of the game had been like it.
Nothing else though.
Nothing.

Return to “%s” Metroid: Other M