Metroid: Other M (REDONE)

Discuss anything related to Metroid: Other M here!
Gaia Rai

Mochtroid

Metroid: Other M (REDONE)

Postby Gaia Rai » 07.09.16 12:39pm

So I went through the long and argues process of editing Metroid: Other M and wanted to share it with the Metroid community. Ultimately, I want to know what people think and if what I created eases a lot of the problems people had with the game. If you want to check it out, the link is here...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqbSOLqM5kQ

... If you didn't watch it and decided to keep reading, I'll explain what I did to the game, so spoilers ahead, I guess.
1: Of the bat, the movie was reduced from 2 hours down too 1 hour.
2: All monologues are gone; we don't get any details of the inner workings of Samus Aran's psyche.
3: The flashbacks have been changed; keeping with the concept of removing the player from Samus's mind, the flashbacks only give a glimpse of what she's thinking about.
4: Some scenes have been manipulated; certain sequences were either awkwardly presented and/or subject to redundancies, so I did my best to streamline them.
5: Samus doesn't freak out at Ridley... kind of, I changed the reasoning.
6; Adam doesn't shoot Samus... I am way to proud of myself for this one.
7: SPOILERS,
Samus kills Ridley.
8: The ending is very different... may be subject to controversy but i did what I could.
9: The end credit sequence is gone, now has a thing called subtlety... or pretentiousness.

I hope you enjoyed it. Please give me feedback.
Last edited by Gaia Rai on 07.09.16 7:42pm, edited 2 times in total.

Infinity's End

MDB Staff - Designer

Re: Metroid: Other M (REDONE)

Postby Infinity's End » 07.09.16 1:28pm

Just a few minutes in and I can already see how this is a vast improvement over the original. Samus's incessant monologues are an anime staple/Japanese thing and much more widely accepted, but not so much over here in the west and they're used very cautiously/sparingly. I'll keep watching, but great work so far! Thanks for coming here and sharing it with us! :thumbsup:

PS - to embed YT videos within a post, all you have to do is put the last code part in the URL within the YT tags. example: youtube.com/watch?v=XqbSOLqM5kQ =
ImageVisit our DA Gallery! A LOT of unique artworks and still growing!
A piece of concept art is not a legally binding contract.

TheChosenOne

Alpha Metroid

Postby TheChosenOne » 07.09.16 9:48pm

I haven't been through the whole thing (jumped around a bit). I like the reduced use of monologues, but I do still feel like something's missing in the opening sequence without one. Maybe it's just the lack of the Super Metroid ending to kick things off. But I do miss having a glance into Samus's mind now and then. On a similar note, I think an occasional use of the rapid flashback is nice, but I still find myself wanting some longer scenes, too. I know that cutting out the monologues completely kind of limits the options, though. A lot of those scenes are really only set up to work with a voice-over -- without one, there wouldn't be anything happening. Ideally, there would be actual sequences taking place there, but since those scenes don't exist, I can see why you went the way you did.

The rapid cuts between scenes makes it a little hard to follow, but the same can be said of the compiled movie they actually had in Other M, so that's something of a non-issue.

I commend the effort to restructure the whole Ridley scenario, and I like the fact that the fight intro was broken into two separate segments. As for the backstory component, it doesn't quite do it for me. Granted, the original doesn't quite do it for me either. And as I said, I commend the effort and what you were able to piece together given what you had to work with.

And this is DEFINITELY a matter of personal opinion, but I really miss the story elements from the climax about the more philosophical problems of raising metroids and MB. I know that kind of stuff in an action game tends to annoy people, but I miss it.

Personal preferences aside, this was quite the undertaking. You seem proud of what you've done here, and rightly so. :thumbsup: If the game had been like this when it came out...well, the actual GAME portion of Other M probably wouldn't have been any better, but the past six years of Metroid fandom might not have been so fractured, and we probably would have had at least one more Metroid game since then. But c'est la vie. I must live in hope.
You're only the best until someone better comes along. You're the first forever.

Gaia Rai

Mochtroid

Postby Gaia Rai » 07.10.16 12:46am

I haven't been through the whole thing (jumped around a bit). I like the reduced use of monologues, but I do still feel like something's missing in the opening sequence without one. Maybe it's just the lack of the Super Metroid ending to kick things off. But I do miss having a glance into Samus's mind now and then. On a similar note, I think an occasional use of the rapid flashback is nice, but I still find myself wanting some longer scenes, too. I know that cutting out the monologues completely kind of limits the options, though. A lot of those scenes are really only set up to work with a voice-over -- without one, there wouldn't be anything happening. Ideally, there would be actual sequences taking place there, but since those scenes don't exist, I can see why you went the way you did.
FIRST OFF :!: ... thanks for the feedback, it's much appreciated. Much like you say, a LOT of my presentation in the final product was a result of the limited resources I had to work with. The main goal of this project was to tell the story in a different way, I.E. remove the intimate connection between the player and Samus to a point where we, the players, become an observer rather than participant. This whole thing started with the idea that "Wanting to know will always be better than knowing," and whether or not that is true is a matter of personal opinion (obviously I subscribe to the former).

Where I really want to bring up an interesting point is how our opinion meet up before driving past each other. In my version, I completely remove the concept of Samus as maternal figure, and then take it one step farther by removing as much maternal imagery as I could to a point where the relationship between Bergman and MB is at best, robotic... ironic as even the game's title is synonymous with motherhood. The thing is, the idea of Samus Aran being presented as mother figure or just having maternal themes in a Metroid game is appealing to me, and is something i would like to see explored. I just find that the way Other M handles it, gives a very... 1960's view on the way motherhood should look like (not helped by the ever present "Father Knows Best," figures of authority), if that makes any sense.
This is where my, probably dividing, opinion comes into play; if there is a desire to apply maternal imagery to Samus, why don't they just give her a daughter? That way the themes of motherhood can be explored without the disconnect of being a surrogate mother, since she would literally be someone's mother. I feel that Other M failed in this respect when it decided to use the infant metroid's connection to Samus as the player's bridge too viewing her as maternal figure since how Samus felt about it has always been a point of debate within the Metroid community, and it gets worse when that is connected to Bergman's and MB's relationship, which doesn't work seeing as how theirs is a story of someone falling in love with ones own creation... maybe I'm reading into that too much after having listened to the monologues dozens of times.

Anyway, this is just the ramblings of the content creator. When you are just one person, there will be issues you wont see, and that is why I really wanted the Metroid community to see this. So again, thanks for the feedback.

Zynux

Super Metroid

Postby Zynux » 07.11.16 5:54am

The mere cutting of the monologues alone makes this leagues better.

My only criticisms is the minor lack of the Super Metroid opening, and the ending. The GF coming in to clean things up, taking away Madeline while Samus just silently watches seems to leave it on an even more anti-climatic moment then when Anthony would come in with his sass.

The Ridley thing is largely improved, but not perfect. While it's cool that he kills off Anthony and runs away, so that you can do a showdown later, the later showdown still implies that he's in a weakened state, so it's somewhat anti-climatic that Samus only get's to kills a weakened Ridley. But you had to work with the material provided, so not much can be done about it.

All in all good work, I wished more people would do this stuff, it's interesting to see what others think to reimagine it.
"Cut! There are no second chances for actors that fall to the abyss. Await your second casting in the darkness forever." - The Night of Wallachia

Ridley prepping his body for Other M

Infinity's End

MDB Staff - Designer

Postby Infinity's End » 07.11.16 2:47pm

Honestly, I would have loved if they had done a kill Anthony/save Anthony thing and then had different endings depending on what you did. He was the most interesting character in the whole damn game!

We'll always remember you, forever, Anthony. :higgs:
ImageVisit our DA Gallery! A LOT of unique artworks and still growing!
A piece of concept art is not a legally binding contract.

Return to “%s” Metroid: Other M