Power Suit mechanics: what is and what is not possible

For discussing ideas and thoughts on the Metroid franchise in general.

Do you want a real-life Power Suit?

Yes!
81%
No...
1%
Stop dreaming and start living in reality!
5%
Maybe...
5%
Um... Hamburger?
7%

Total votes : 135

Mea quidem sententia

Alpha Metroid

Re: Power Suit mechanics: what is and what is not possible

Postby Mea quidem sententia » 07.04.17 7:32pm

Shame no one answered the questions. If you still go here, metroidsuperfan11, I'll give my input.

There are various types of materials resistant to corrosion, but the hazard shield appears to be some energy shield, rather than a certain material like metal, plastic, or glass. Since we don't know what acid rain on the Pirate Homeworld is like, I suppose you could look for what has the lowest pH (power of hydrogen). Asking about strong or weak acids is confusing.

I'm not sure what seeing sound would be like. Even then, the visor could be built into the helmet.

The wave beam is likely EMR, but I wouldn't say x-ray. Radio waves and microwaves can pass through materials as well. The plasma beam uses lasers as found at the official Metroid Fusion Web site. Its penetrative ability is due to this. Lasers can produce plasma if the medium is ionized. Nitrogen, the most common element in air, has ionizing energy approximately equal to 1,400+ kJ/mol. Ultraviolet, x-rays, and gamma rays would be excellent for ionizing air. I wrote something about the plasma beam and provided evidence for it falling in the hard x-ray range.

I'm not certain about the dark beam. The light beam would be a laser. It'd fire in the visible spectrum. Annihilator beam doesn't work because antimatter is expensive to produce and would take billions of years to produce enough to be weaponized. If the annihilator beam is firing sound (based on its sonic aspect), then it would be a sound weapon, probably a saser.

TheChosenOne

Alpha Metroid

Postby TheChosenOne » 07.07.17 8:25am

I'm not certain about the dark beam.
Echoes likes to throw around the term "Dark Energy", which I don't really like. There (theoretically) IS something called dark energy, but it's quite a different concept. Actual dark energy is invisible, which is why it's still only theoretical. The "Dark Energy" they talk about in Echoes seems to just be "the energy of Dark Aether", which is definable only as being the opposite of the energy of Light Aether. You get some description what constitutes Aether's "light energy" when you scan the collector in the temple, but it's hard to say what the opposite of that would be. From an in-game perspective, this is what the Dark Beam is firing.

But from a somewhat real-world perspective, it seems to behave like a highly-corrosive chemical. It looks like one of two things happens - either it's encased in a carrier of some kind (a bit like a water balloon or paintball), or it binds most strongly to itself. The latter would probably be more true to the depiction in the game (since it can be charged to various levels, increasing the amount of material delivered), but the former would be easier to create. When it impacts an object, the chemical is spread apart and clings to the object it impacts, dealing damage. But we're talking about a very nasty death with a weapon like this.

As to whether or not the Dark Beam would destroy the universe, I'd say no. Even if it's supposed to be some form of antimatter or "anti-energy", it only exists in limited quantities for each shot, so there's only so much of a reaction that could take place. It could do a lot of damage, but the universe is a big place.
You're only the best until someone better comes along. You're the first forever.

Mea quidem sententia

Alpha Metroid

Postby Mea quidem sententia » 07.15.17 1:38am

I tend to take dark energy and matter as is in the series. I just have no idea how it would work.

The screw attack looks like it produces a similar appearance to the plasma beam. All depictions excluding the Prime series shows electrical discharge, which would probably be like a spinning Tesla coil. Apparently, this discharge is powerful enough to cause space pirates and some other enemies to explode.

The plasma beam in Metroid: Other M also produces electrical discharge, meaning that the air must be ionized by dielectric breakdown. This means a meter long beam would produce 3 megavolts. But given the distance of the Queen Metroid's holding cage, we can use the 30 m. distance to increase up to 90 megavolts, and this is the beam uncharged. If there is a longer room where the distance can be tested, we could be talking more than 90 megavolts.

TheChosenOne

Alpha Metroid

Postby TheChosenOne » 07.15.17 7:46pm

All depictions excluding the Prime series shows electrical discharge
The Plasma Beam is stacked on top of the Wave Beam in most of the games, so I think that's where the electrical effect comes from. This doesn't affect the actual description of the effect, just a note. I think it's supposed to be the Wave Beam that's producing that effect, then the Plasma Beam manages to incorporate another beam effect over that.
You're only the best until someone better comes along. You're the first forever.

Mea quidem sententia

Alpha Metroid

Postby Mea quidem sententia » 07.16.17 1:50pm

The wave beam doesn't show that effect, however. Even Anthony Higg's plasma cannon shows the same animation.

Xerkxes

Metroid Queen

Postby Xerkxes » 07.17.17 12:08am

If there is a longer room where the distance can be tested, we could be talking more than 90 megavolts.
I think the longest room is one in the sector 2. I can't remember the name but it's in the area were all the industrial/ventilation fans are.

This room here.

Starting a bit after 2:00
Xerkxes: "Makes you wonder why Samus just didn't take one of the Crystals with her, and constantly charge it with the light beam while using it as a God damned +5 Brilliant Energy Spear of Smite-Ing "

Sigma

Metroid

Postby Sigma » 07.18.17 11:59pm

Man, now here's a thread I haven't read in a while. :D

Based on info. from Zero Mission, Other M, Corruption, and Fusion, Samus's suit seems to be a combination of advanced nanobot tech and modified biological components working together with the Zero Suit (or bikini thing in Super and Fusion) acting as sort of the CPU and brain for it all. The suit probably does has some sort of passive AI that acts for Samus where her Chozo training cannot. The Chozo really liked bio-mechanical stuff. :P

If we go by the suit having a passive AI, then the reason Samus's suit doesn't disappear when she's K.O.'d is probably a defensive measure in the suit. In the two infamous scenes of Other M she's not knocked out when she loses the suit, rather she's in instances of extreme duress and emotional trauma, which in turn probably sends the suit mechanisms haywire as her mental state is fluctuating all over the place.

TheChosenOne

Alpha Metroid

Postby TheChosenOne » 07.19.17 10:51pm

The suit shutting down if it's not forcibly maintained serves as a security measure in itself, keeping the technology from falling into enemy hands. The suit remaining active in certain instances of unconsciousness, however, does still make sense. For instance, it makes sense that a measure would be implemented into the suit to keep it from shutting down when Samus is drifting unconscious through the vacuum of space, as in the intro to Fusion.

LesserChozo

Postby LesserChozo » 07.20.17 9:45am

For instance, it makes sense that a measure would be implemented into the suit to keep it from shutting down when Samus is drifting unconscious through the vacuum of space, as in the intro to Fusion.
Plus, in that instance, the suit was being overridden by the X-parasite, replacing Samus' neural connection with the suit.
Don't be pushed by your problems. Be led by your dreams.

Return to “%s” General Metroid Discussion