What's your favorite Metroid Game?

For discussing ideas and thoughts on the Metroid franchise in general.

What's your favorite Metroid game?

Metroid(NES)
3%
Metroid II(GB)
1%
Super Metroid(SNES)
37%
Metroid Fusion(GBA)
3%
Metroid: Zero Mission(GBA)
9%
Metroid Prime(GC)
24%
Metroid Prime 2: Echoes(GC)
8%
Metroid Prime 3: Corruption(Wii)
10%
Metroid Prime Hunters(DS)
3%
Metroid Other M(Wii)
1%

Total votes : 118

Zynux

Super Metroid

Re: What's your favorite Metroid Game?

Postby Zynux » 02.07.17 8:36pm

When it comes to 3D Metroids it's Echoes.
Would you look at that, someone with pristine taste :thumbsup:
"Cut! There are no second chances for actors that fall to the abyss. Await your second casting in the darkness forever." - The Night of Wallachia

Ridley prepping his body for Other M

Khyron

Gamma Metroid

Postby Khyron » 02.08.17 8:15pm

I get that it might be a bit of a slippery slope as it's not an official release, but given JUST HOW FREAKING GOOD AM2R was, does is deserve to make the list? I vote yes, and would put it third on my list behind the original Metroid and then Prime.

Zynux

Super Metroid

Postby Zynux » 02.10.17 2:51am

After it's release people were already talking about it in the same vein of Super, Fusion and Zero Mission so I think people consider it an "unofficial" official title that fits in with the rest of the 2D adventures
"Cut! There are no second chances for actors that fall to the abyss. Await your second casting in the darkness forever." - The Night of Wallachia

Ridley prepping his body for Other M

Khyron

Gamma Metroid

Postby Khyron » 02.10.17 2:56am

After it's release people were already talking about it in the same vein of Super, Fusion and Zero Mission so I think people consider it an "unofficial" official title that fits in with the rest of the 2D adventures
I think of AM2R as the perfect companion to ZM and am ready and willing to buy a physical copy.

SuperBro.BrawlerKart

Mochtroid

Postby SuperBro.BrawlerKart » 09.27.17 8:31pm

My favorite Metroid game, hands down, is Metroid Prime 2: Echoes. I've always wanted to write down my experience with that game, and I think here is the best place to do it.

Let's see... I believe I was in the 6th grade at the time, so that would have been at around 2005, when I was 12 years old. That's when I had gotten my hands on a copy of the game. I bought it with the impression that it was a copy of Prime 1, which I had wanted because I saw my cousin play it at one point previously. Beforehand, I only knew of Samus because she was in Super Smash Brothers and it's sequel, Melee. I had no knowledge of any of her games, achievements, or accomplishments, but I would be a part of one soon enough.

So I pop in the game, and it's unlike anything I've ever played before. I believe the only other game to come close to it in terms of feel would be Halo, because I had played that earlier and thought it rather scary but also fun. I don't remember much about how I felt or was thinking when I started the file, but I do remember what went through my mind when I jumped out of my ship and started to venture into the caves, and shortly after the Federation camp. I wondered what I was getting myself into and what exactly was it that I was playing. My heart jumped when I went through a door to discover Federation corpses dangling from the ceiling in a narrow passage as white, semi-transparent bugs crawled on the walls. Things took off from there. I didn't put the game down or quit, but I was truly frightened. I had never seen anything like this in any of my games before. I had gotten accustomed to the Scan Visor shortly after jumping from the ship, so I immediately starting using it on the bodies to see if I could learn anything. I did, as well as plenty of new vocabulary in the process, as there were often words in the diagnostic scans I had never seen or used before. I think I spent around thirty minutes or more on that room alone.

I think what drove me to continue at that point was curiosity, as I wanted to scan anything for me to read that could shed more light on the fate of the marines I was sent to help. I had faith in NIntendo, so I knew that whatever Metroid was, it wouldn't be a game too intense or gory for me to stop playing. Prior to playing Prime 2 I was experienced in titles like Mario 64 and Sunshine, Super Mario RPG, Melee, StarFox 64, Pokemon Yellow, and Kirby 64... to name a few. Taking those games into account, I used those as a means to remind myself that Metroid is a part of those franchises, as it shares the same Father company they do.

So I continued! Soon I would stumble upon a generator of sorts, which would have to be powered by a morph ball bomb, and after scuffling with bomb jumps I managed to turn it on... to immediately see the dead bodies I had walked over, to get to said generator just a few seconds ago, rise up like the undead as a purple liquid and cloud soaked into them, changing their silver armor plating to a sickly dark purple. With fear and curiosity, I once again used the Scan Visor to learn what I could of these things. I remember studying the 3D image in the scan log, rotating the bodies in several directions, particularly zooming in on the face... It was horrific. A purple tentacle thing was coming out of the chest plate, I think.

I dispatched them rather easily, much to my surprise, but went back through the morph ball tunnel I came in to see even more dead marines rise back up to become purple zombies. Fear then turned to determination, as I had learned the extend of their combat capabilities, which were minimal. Eventually I came across a room shrouded in fog, and discovered an entity that looked a lot like me. I follow it into the weird, dark portal it generated and escaped in, but not before scanning the portal itself. I tried to make sense of the science behind it in a serious manner. From there, the cut-scene of meeting Dark Samus for the first time began.

I'm gonna take a minute from this tale to express something I realized. As I would play onward through Prime 2, all the cut-scenes I experienced felt like it was really me in that suit of armor. The way Samus would look around with her Arm-Canon drawn, eyes carefully scanning her surroundings, or how she would slowly walk forward during scenes when I'd enter a new region of the world... they all felt like I was doing that. The synergy between me and her was so well, that it wasn't Samus Aran defeating the Ing, but me.

So I fall out of the portal into a new environment. I look up to see strange, dark-purple creatures with bright-red eyes look down on me from atop a wall, the sky above them a swirl of black and purple. Then I look down to see the look-a-like from before interacting with a gurgling, bright-blue substance on the wall ahead of me, her back facing me. I see myself stare at her for a bit, then attempt to get up, only for a shot to fire close to my left. I finally see this thing's face, as it points its cannon at me threateningly, obviously telling me to stay down. In defiance, I get up to my feat and aim my own arsenal at it, only for another shot to ring. I wasn't paying attention, but there was a crystal behind me that just shattered. Suddenly whatever field I was in, which I hadn't known was there, started to flash and shrink. The creatures from atop the wall began to scream and shrill louder and started crawling down. The Dark-Me then floated away and I found myself surrounded in a matter of seconds. When the bubble shrank into nothing I started to take damage. As a last act of valor I looked up to the sky and shot out a red flame, right before being tackled by at least five of those dark creatures. Then the portal next to me shrank and it all fades to black.

The next thing I see is Samus on the floor in the room I was in earlier, but the fog is gone and the dark portal shrinks into nothing. I didn't see myself escape in the cut-scene, but I was relieved to see myself alive. I was more than shocked at what happened, and after seeing Samus get up slowly with a hand on her helmet, I observe her checking her Arm-Cannon while music emphasizing sudden danger steadily fade back to the spooky tune playing earlier while exploring the catacombs. I had no idea what happened to me, other then the fact that plenty of abilities were no longer present. Going forward, I encounter more Federation zombies, as well as a Save Station. I felt relieved to finally find a place I could actually rest, allowing myself to reflect on what the actual fuck happened to me.

I could go on and on and on, but I'll wrap it up. Fast-forward to the end of the game, and after what felt like several months of exploring and fighting, my adventure had finally come to an end. As my heart raced to fight Dark Samus a third time before Dark Aether exploded, I felt relieved and triumphant at her defeat. Walking back to the ship and listening to the menu theme play in the credits, I remembered how scared I was when I entered Dark Aether for the first time in Agon Wastes. This game tested my resolve, and it taught me what fear was like. It also taught me how to be brave in the face of those fears. To this day I look favorably on this game, as it was something unlike anything else I had ever played before. It was scary, but also empowering. Just like with God, the game never threw something at me that I wasn't prepared for. I had the tools needed for victory every time something intimidating and powerful came my way, I only needed to press past the fear it produced in me. No matter what new area I went to or how ominous and foreboding Dark Aether became as I explored its blackest corners, the Light of Aether was always with me, and although I needed to be careful, so long as had faith in myself I always came out on top.

After that game I became hooked on the series as a whole, and would later play Metroid Fusion, then Prime, Zero Mission, and so on. To this day it's my most favorite series. Many games under my belt, but Metroid Pime 2's impression will always make it stand out among them all. It's my most favorite Metroid game, and my most favorite game ever, with The Thousand-Year Door right behind it. Thank you for reading my stupidly long post about shit you already experienced, and have a wonderful day. :P

Return to “%s” General Metroid Discussion