Metroid Movie...

For discussing ideas and thoughts on the Metroid franchise in general.

Metroid movie... will it be made?

Yes
34%
No
66%

Total votes : 107

LesserChozo

Re: Metroid Movie...

Postby LesserChozo » 06.02.15 5:49pm

There's certainly enough source material for a movie. However;
  1. They shouldn't try to adapt one of the games. An origin of sorts, might be nice, to reintroduce the character to new audiences. I don't want a faithful retelling of the manga, though. Much of that story can be summed up with skillful exposition or discourse.
  2. I really hope whoever ends up with the project doesn't sacrifice the quality of the story just to appease the masses. At its heart, the story of Samus Aran is a classic hero tale, comparable to Greco-Roman myth. The should draw inspiration from there. And...
  3. The overall story should be added to and expanded, as it has been in the games, not reinvented for the big screen.
Don't be pushed by your problems. Be led by your dreams.

Xandalf

Gamma Metroid

Postby Xandalf » 06.24.15 4:32pm

A Metroid movie surely would be nice but Nintendo has been scarce of ideas for Metroid storylines, and I don't think it would be good if they wasted a good story idea on a movie. I'm not much of a movie man anyway.

crazyal02

Metroid

Postby crazyal02 » 06.24.15 5:12pm

A Metroid movie surely would be nice but Nintendo has been scarce of ideas for Metroid storylines, and I don't think it would be good if they wasted a good story idea on a movie. I'm not much of a movie man anyway.
Some storylines simply work better for a movie rather than a game, however. A movie storyline awkwardly shoved into a game was one of the many issues with Other M.
Elephants capable of conquering earth? Vampire monkeys and crocodiles that shoot lasers out of their eyes? I think you've just created the most awesome post in the history of forever.

Liz Lemon

Egg

Postby Liz Lemon » 01.14.16 7:15pm

I'd love to see a Metroid movie... As long as it was done well. And preferably not written by people who are paid to program video games.

If you had asked me this years ago, I would have said I wanted it to go into more of Samus's origins and Samus as a person, etc. But then I saw how that turned out in Other M. I don't know. Samus as a tragic figure would be good to incorporate, but I think they should leave some of the mastery to her, at least in the first film. Maybe dissect her more in sequels.

I'd love to see it done as a sci-fi horror movie, sort of in the Style of the Alien movies. The Metroid games have good ideas for characterization, IMO, but they have a hard time with the execution of those ideas. (For instance, I have nothing against Samus having PTSD, but if we are going to do that, it should be better incorporated in the story from an artistic perspective.)

What Metroid does really well, however, is sci-fi horror. Isolation, strange new planets, exploration, wonderful new worlds, terrifying looking monsters, suspense as your allies are picked off one by one (or even slain by your own hand), and a general feeling of empowerment/being a badass bounty hunter. These are the things Metroid does really well, and I think it should play up its strengths more.

That's not to say they need to leave out the characterization. I thought Ripley turned out pretty well in the first two Alien Movies. I'm just saying don't aim for the Metroid: A Lifetime Original Movie angle.

Taelin Aurel

Alpha Metroid

Postby Taelin Aurel » 02.26.16 10:13pm

Now that Rhonda Rousey has said that she would be interested in playing Samus, there will be enough fanboys that want to see this happen.

Liz Lemon

Egg

Postby Liz Lemon » 02.27.16 7:11pm

Now that Rhonda Rousey has said that she would be interested in playing Samus, there will be enough fanboys that want to see this happen.
That would be interesting, but I just can't see it. Especially after her comment about how it would let her just eat doughnuts all day or something. If she plays Samus, I fully support the idea of Danny Devito playing the Hatchling.

All kidding around aside, I've secretly dreamed of playing Samus in a movie since I was a little girl. If she got it, I would be so jealous. lol.

TheChosenOne

Alpha Metroid

Postby TheChosenOne » 02.27.16 11:08pm

I can't say I've ever seen Ronda Rousey act, but I get the impression that the kind of Samus she'd play would be a bit...one-dimensional. Now, if they want her to do stunt work or mocap, absolutely.
You're only the best until someone better comes along. You're the first forever.

White Legend

Mochtroid

Postby White Legend » 03.24.16 8:44pm

i want a metroid movie lol it'd be :awesome: just think abut all the things you can do have samus visit many planets and have them all explode in the end and credits roll down over the explosion xd

TheAccursedHunter01

Zeta Metroid

Postby TheAccursedHunter01 » 05.18.16 9:58pm

Anyone here watched or have heard of the movie Hardcore Henry? It was a recent action film that took place entirely from the first person perspective of the protagonist. Couldn't something like this work for a Metroid movie? Have a Metroid movie take place from Samus' first person view, like with the Prime games. I don't mean have the movie be someone playing Prime 1 for 2 hours, but make Samus' view similar to how it was form the Prime games. That way, Samus and the viewer can feel like one entity and the film can be that much more immersive. One of the most important rules for Metroid I think should never be broken is that Samus and the player should feel like one entity. If Samus gets doubted or betrayed, so does the player. If Samus discovers something, it should give the player a sense of accomplishment or wonder. The whole movie could be about Samus following a criminal to some sort of ruins, and what seemed like a simple mission becomes much more complicated. From there, let the environment and the music tell the tale of what happened and why.

TheChosenOne

Alpha Metroid

Postby TheChosenOne » 05.18.16 11:29pm

I'm not sure about the idea of going totally first-person. Ironically, I think it could actually damage the immersiveness. Part of the reason it works so well in the games is that the player is the one in control of "solving the mystery of the world." Players can choose what to ignore and what to focus on. If players catch something out of the corner of their eyes, they can say, "Wait..." and turn back to check it out. In a movie, you'd have the frustrating feeling of "Wait! Go back! I bet that thing on the wall was really important!" Whether the camera goes back or not, the immersion has been broken. I'm not suggesting it's useless to see through Samus's eyes from time to time as a way of developing immersion, but I don't think two hours of it will really work in a non-interactive format. Granted, I haven't seen Hardcore Henry, so I don't know how well it works there.

What I do support in terms of the Prime format is a lot of silence. One potential structure I envision for a Metroid movie is the entire third act as the actual Zebes mission, performed almost entirely without vocals, potentially right up until the very end. Even the parts that would be heavier on storytelling, like Samus's upbringing, could be told with an emphasis on actions over words. I'm not really suggesting the total "silent protagonist" approach Retro was so keen on, but I do think a notable lack of dialogue would make for quite a distinctive feel (and a much more interesting movie than most of the previous video game movie adaptations).
You're only the best until someone better comes along. You're the first forever.

HYRUL3

Dark Samus

Postby HYRUL3 » 05.19.16 1:00pm

What worked in Hardcore Henry probably won't work here. Hardcore Henry had a great supporting cast to carry the narrative. Metroid does not. Could feel forced.
"I am tired of being under the weight of greedy men who don't believe in anything."

Return to “%s” General Metroid Discussion