What's Your Favorite Boss From The Metroid Series?

For discussing ideas and thoughts on the Metroid franchise in general.
Meta Ridley

Metroid Queen

Re: What's Your Favorite Boss From The Metroid Series?

Postby Meta Ridley » 01.27.16 5:26am

Ah okay, now I understand. Sorry about that Chosen.

Chykka was super fun to fight. Wish the battle was longer or the boss showed up in Prime 3 somehow since its corpse is still there.

TheChosenOne

Alpha Metroid

Postby TheChosenOne » 02.14.16 9:28pm

Chykka was super fun to fight. Wish the battle was longer or the boss showed up in Prime 3 somehow since its corpse is still there.
I can see we have very different tastes in bosses. I find Chykka to be very tedious. And as for length, I recall that I clocked my first playthrough at over half an hour. I like the variation in techniques involved in the Chykka fight, but for some reason, it always seems to drag on.
You're only the best until someone better comes along. You're the first forever.

Apothem

Postby Apothem » 02.15.16 12:45am

The Amorbis and Quadraxis fights almost always give you something to hit lending the player a feeling of control over the flow of the conflict. Amorbis never spends long underground and when airborne the player can deal significant damage, especially with well placed charged shots. Quadraxis can be rapidly moved through phases with quick thinking and a bit of skill. The Chykka fight plods along both its phases by contrast. The first you need to wait for select opportunities to attack, like with every boss, but it feints and seems to only open itself up almost at random. The fact you have to remain stationary and persistently scan the horizon for a sighting doesn't help the player feel engaged. Instead the first phase comes across as almost passive. It's a waiting game; wait to pop shots at it in the water or for it to nonsensically beach itself. Its contemporary encounters afford the player agency whereas here a single miss can mean more agonizing waiting. The second phase is marginally better. It flows slightly faster and emphasizes mobility via the grapple beam but you're still largely stationary until you stun it and swing behind to missile it to death. It's a very deliberately paced boss fight.

Return to “%s” General Metroid Discussion