Best from worst Metroid game

For discussing ideas and thoughts on the Metroid franchise in general.
vuk64

Hatchling

Best from worst Metroid game

Postby vuk64 » 07.26.12 1:26pm

How would you rank the metroid games in order 1 being best 11 being worst.

Note:this is all opinion so please don't go completely insane if you don't agree instead post your own list :)

1:Metroid Prime

2: Super Metroid

3 Metroid Prime 3

4:Metroid Prime 2

5: Metroid Zero Mission

6: Metroid Fusion

7:Metroid

8:Metroid 2

9:Metroid Other M

10:Metroid Prime Hunters

11: Metroid prime Pinball

Thunderchin

Kraid

Re: Best from worst Metroid game

Postby Thunderchin » 07.26.12 3:10pm

1.) Metroid Prime 2: Echoes
2.) Metroid Fusion
3.) Metroid Prime
3.) Super Metroid
5.) Metroid Prime 3: Corruption
6.) Metroid Zero Mission
7.) Metroid II: Return of Samus
8.) Metroid Prime: Hunters
9.) Metroid
10.) Metroid: Other M
10.) Metroid Prime Pinball

Note the two #3's. That's a tie. It was too hard to compare Prime and Super, so I said fuck it and made it a tie!
Chozo Ice Beam acquired, extinguish a Girl on Fire!

Tianna

Omega Metroid

Postby Tianna » 07.26.12 3:46pm

1. Super Metroid
2. Metroid Zero Mission
3. Metroid Other M
4. Metroid 2
5. Metroid
6. Metroid Fusion
7. Metroid Prime
8. Metroid Prime 2
9. Metroid Prime 3
10. Metroid Prime Hunters
11. Metroid Prime Pinball

Holy hell. Only now do I realize that roughly half of the Metroid series is the Prime junk I never played. That almost makes me mad. Fortunately two of those are junk games anyway and I wouldn't ordinarily count. I can't rank the Prime trilogy any higher because they're FPS style, so therefore, will never be played by me, so I can't rate them for anything.

The others are entirely based on how much I enjoyed playing the game itself. Which does include replay value and how often I go back to play the game again and still have fun. This means, for the games I have played, Fusion was the worst. I keep trying to give this game a chance, but it keeps ending up entirely unfun to a point that I give up on it and try again a couple years later. Super ranks highest because it's the one I enjoy the most. I will play it at the very least once a year just because I enjoy playing it.

VGMStudios

Ridley

Postby VGMStudios » 07.26.12 5:23pm

First of all prime games aren't fps.
Second why won't you play the prime games even if they are first person perspective?
Your robbing yourself of great experiences. imho.
Just curious.

My list?

SM
M II
MP
MP3
ZM/MF
other m
Metroid
Pinball
Hunters

Man that took like 15 to think about.
The only reason Hunters is last is cause of the controls. If they were a but better it would of placed higher.
THE order of ZM to the original fluctuates as I cannot make up my mind. Haha.

Vgm out..
Super Metroid, the most perfect game ever created! Period!

Thunderchin

Kraid

Postby Thunderchin » 07.26.12 5:35pm

Second why won't you play the prime games even if they are first person perspective?
Just curious.
Yeah, I was about to call her out on same. Why, oh why, do you troll the Prime games without at least giving them a spin? You don't play it and you call it junk. I call shenanigans.

vuk64

Hatchling

Postby vuk64 » 07.26.12 5:43pm

Just curious.

My list?

SM
M II
MP
MP3
ZM/MF
other m
Metroid
Pinball
Hunters

Man that took like 15 to think about.
The only reason Hunters is last is cause of the controls. If they were a but better it would of placed higher.
THE order of ZM to the original fluctuates as I cannot make up my mind. Haha.

Vgm out..
Have to agree on the hunters part, the game would have been much better if the controls weren't so bad.Especially since i m left handed so its even worse.
Now looking back on the game i think they should of made it a 2d game instead. great list though

Tianna

Omega Metroid

Postby Tianna » 07.26.12 5:45pm

They play like FPS, therefore they constitute FPS to me. I can't play them because of that. I call them junk because I'm personally irritated that I'm cut out from playing them because of how they're set up. I've watched them played to a point. So don't troll me because I don't like how they were made to play. Is it SO hard to understand that not everyone enjoys something that constitutes as a first-person shooter playstyle and that I'm upset that I'm shut out from enjoying a part of one of my favorite series?

If you can't respect that I hate the FPS playstyle of the prime games, then keep it to yourself. It's my opinion. I don't hate on people who like it. So don't hate on me.

Edit: For the record, you're allowed to hate all over Other M and I don't say anything. So why can't I express my distaste for Prime in the same way without illiciting all sorts of shock and horror?

vuk64

Hatchling

Postby vuk64 » 07.26.12 5:56pm

They play like FPS, therefore they constitute FPS to me. I can't play them because of that. I call them junk because I'm personally irritated that I'm cut out from playing them because of how they're set up. I've watched them played to a point. So don't troll me because I don't like how they were made to play. Is it SO hard to understand that not everyone enjoys something that constitutes as a first-person shooter playstyle and that I'm upset that I'm shut out from enjoying a part of one of my favorite series?

If you can't respect that I hate the FPS playstyle of the prime games, then keep it to yourself. It's my opinion. I don't hate on people who like it. So don't hate on me.

Edit: For the record, you're allowed to hate all over Other M and I don't say anything. So why can't I express my distaste for Prime in the same way without illiciting all sorts of shock and horror?
I don't think anybody said you cant express your opinion,he was just saying you were missing out or should maybe give them another shot.But if you don't like them that,s completely fine as long as people give good reasons why they don't like them and you did so relax. :)

Zynux

Super Metroid

Postby Zynux » 07.26.12 6:06pm

Their problem is probably that you call the Prime games junk when you yourself admitted you haven't played them, but only watched gameplay videos. Those that hate on Other M a lot (at least on this board) have at least played the game and gave it a chance. So there is a slight difference.

Personally, I don't care that you hate the Primes at all (I also hate how people troll you if you say anything bad about the Prime Trilogy). Not liking the First-Person perspective is a pretty valid reason not to want to play the game (I, personally, loathe over-the-shoulder 3rd person like Dead Space and Newer Resident Evils, so I tend to avoid those games). But at the same time, I'm not sure if its fair to call a game that you've never played junk.

(Tried to be as neutral as possible, and I think I failed XD )
"Cut! There are no second chances for actors that fall to the abyss. Await your second casting in the darkness forever." - The Night of Wallachia

Ridley prepping his body for Other M

okey

Metroid Queen

Postby okey » 07.26.12 7:02pm

Not liking Prime because its first person is legit. Some crucial elements from the 2D games don't translate well at all to the FPS style.
(I also hate how people troll you if you say anything bad about the Prime Trilogy)
Same. The Prime games are good but the Retro Studios worship gets annoying sometimes. Thankfully you don't really see it as much here as in other forums.

Tianna

Omega Metroid

Postby Tianna » 07.26.12 7:26pm

Their problem is probably that you call the Prime games junk when you yourself admitted you haven't played them, but only watched gameplay videos.
I'm aware of the control scheme, too, which is exactly why I am unable to play the games. I can't give them a chance because they're FPS controls. I've tried playing other games with the same kind of control scheme and I simply cannot play the games and enjoy them. I give them props for having pretty music, but because I cannot enjoy the games, they are junk to me personally. I'm not saying they're junk essentially, just for me personally. I watched my older brother play when the first one came out. My disappointment has carried through the years that they didn't make the game at least third person instead of trying to cater to the FPS crowd. :( So, when the controls of a game literally get in the way of me enjoying a game (no matter how thematically awesome it may or may not be) makes the game a fail for me.

Either way, I tried to give reasons why I ranked things as I did so it would be better comprehended because there is an awful lot of "Retro Worship". Or, it would seem to someone who doesn't like the Prime subseries. I admittedly don't spend any time on any other Metroid or video game related forums.

So, let's please get back on topic and rate them as you actually like instead of picking apart someone who doesn't agree?

Thunderchin

Kraid

Postby Thunderchin » 07.26.12 7:36pm

Their problem is probably that you call the Prime games junk when you yourself admitted you haven't played them, but only watched gameplay videos.
I'm aware of the control scheme, too, which is exactly why I am unable to play the games. I can't give them a chance because they're FPS controls. I've tried playing other games with the same kind of control scheme and I simply cannot play the games and enjoy them. I give them props for having pretty music, but because I cannot enjoy the games, they are junk to me personally. I'm not saying they're junk essentially, just for me personally. I watched my older brother play when the first one came out. My disappointment has carried through the years that they didn't make the game at least third person instead of trying to cater to the FPS crowd. :( So, when the controls of a game literally get in the way of me enjoying a game (no matter how thematically awesome it may or may not be) makes the game a fail for me.
Seriously? Letting the controls get in the way? Oh well, to each his own. Though I still argue that the first-person perspective wasn't to draw in the FPS crowd. It was to let the player experience the world through Samus' eyes, adding to the immersion. And while I loath the Gamecube controls, the Trilogy version rectified them perfectly.
So, let's please get back on topic and rate them as you actually like instead of picking apart someone who doesn't agree?
It wasn't your disagreement that caused us to call you out. It's because you failed to substantiate your argument when you first posted.

Zynux

Super Metroid

Postby Zynux » 07.26.12 7:48pm

@Tianna
Totally understandable. I hate the controls as well, after Prime Trilogy's Motion controls I can't go back to play the gamecube ones anymore.
(I also hate how people troll you if you say anything bad about the Prime Trilogy)
Same. The Prime games are good but the Retro Studios worship gets annoying sometimes. Thankfully you don't really see it as much here as in other forums.
The praise for Prime wasn't that bad until Other M came out. That left such a bad taste that everyone dry humps Retro Studios now.

Okay, time to contribute to the thread with a rough tangible list.

Metroid Prime 2 (probably biased because it was my first Metroid game)
Super Metroid
Zero Mission
Metroid Prime
Metroid Prime 3
Metroid Fusion
Other M
Metroid Hunters
"Cut! There are no second chances for actors that fall to the abyss. Await your second casting in the darkness forever." - The Night of Wallachia

Ridley prepping his body for Other M

Tim

MDB Staff - Engineer

Postby Tim » 07.26.12 7:57pm

Though I still argue that the first-person perspective wasn't to draw in the FPS crowd. It was to let the player experience the world through Samus' eyes, adding to the immersion. And while I loath the Gamecube controls, the Trilogy version rectified them perfectly.
Yeah, the fps style was chosen because they couldn't make the 3rd person perspective work and Miyamoto thought that would be better for exploring. Plus Miyamoto just liked the idea of a first person game. He was originally going to make Ocarina of Time 1st person, but it didn't work so he salvaged the idea for prime. Of course this was way before FPSes became so popular.

1. Metroid Prime
2. Zero Mission
3. Prime 2
4. Super Metroid
5. Prime 3
6. Fusion
7. Metroid 2
8. Pinball
9. Hunters
10. Metroid
11. Other M

I'm not really sure about 3-6, but I guess that's where I'd put the rest. The original is so low because I don't have the patients to put up with it's nes game design standards and limitations so it's basically unplayable for me. Super isn't as high because I played Zero Mission first and now I have trouble getting used to controls so I haven't played it as much as the others so my appreciation isn't as well developed.

Also, I think Prime's GameCube controls are vastly superior to the Wii version's. I said it.

VGMStudios

Ridley

Postby VGMStudios » 07.26.12 9:58pm

All I wanted to know is why you can't play first person perspective.
Does it make you sick? Do you get lost? Or is it disorienting for you?
There was no need to anger. Everyone is entitled to their opinion.
Just simply wanted to know exactly why is all. Personally I can not play fps on the Wii besides the prime games.
Everything else gives me motion sickness and it sucks cause I know I'm missing out on some great Wii games.

Oh well back on topic ppl.

Vgm out...
Super Metroid, the most perfect game ever created! Period!

Return to “%s” General Metroid Discussion