Best from worst Metroid game

For discussing ideas and thoughts on the Metroid franchise in general.
Bad Wolf

Egg

Re: Best from worst Metroid game

Postby Bad Wolf » 10.21.13 4:52pm

1- Super- Perfect!
2- Fusion- Greatest story line ever. Hands down.
3- Return of Samus- I don't care about the graphics, this game was great!
4- Prime 3- Great bosses, great upgrades, great... Basically everything!
5- Prime 1- Tons of fun, the game had very distinct areas. Some scary...
6- Prime 2- Honestly at a tie with Prime 1, but with a twist.
7- Hunters- I have weird hands so the controls for this game were fine to me, but it seemed to much like an outlier.
8- Other M- I kinda liked it, but it was HARD.
9- Metroid 1- Sorry, but I hate this game. It was hard, repetitive, and ridiculous(Getting trapped in lava that you can't jump out of)

I don't really wanna include Zero Mission, but if I would, it would be around 3-5.

Zevroid

Metroid

Postby Zevroid » 10.24.13 6:16pm

For me:

1. Super Metroid (I have yet to find a Metroid game I like more.) :motherbrain:
2. Metroid Prime (The only one I enjoyed nearly as much as Super.) :phazon:
3. Metroid Fusion/Corruption (This is a tie because I enjoyed both games just as much.) :fusion: / :mp3:
4. Metroid Prime 2 (Great story and everything, but man was it monstrously difficult...) :darksuit: :lightsuit:
5. Zero Mission (Good game, but not good enough to put higher than five.) 8)
6. Other M (I actually loved this game, but there were quite a few gameplay flaws and the story kind of brought it down a bit--still a solid game though.) :gsamus:
7. Metroid Prime Hunters (I don't consider this to be the worst Metroid game only because the Original game is just so...uhg.) :s-logo:
8. NES Metroid (The very first Metroid game. It isn't bad because it's literally a terrible game, but sadly the limitations of the NES bring it down.) :metroid:

I do not count Pinball and I never played Return of Samus.
I was saying only the first prime is as close to a 3D Super as we will get.

And there was a ton of optimism for Other M. All I remember is confusion as to placement in the timeline at first, and concern about the gameplay, but nothing angry.

At least not that I remember.
I recall only one person that declared that the game would suck from the very moment the trailer was released.

Bad Wolf

Egg

Postby Bad Wolf » 10.25.13 6:26am

For me:

1. Super Metroid (I have yet to find a Metroid game I like more.) :motherbrain:
2. Metroid Prime (The only one I enjoyed nearly as much as Super.) :phazon:
3. Metroid Fusion/Corruption (This is a tie because I enjoyed both games just as much.) :fusion: / :mp3:
4. Metroid Prime 2 (Great story and everything, but man was it monstrously difficult...) :darksuit: :lightsuit:
5. Zero Mission (Good game, but not good enough to put higher than five.) 8)
6. Other M (I actually loved this game, but there were quite a few gameplay flaws and the story kind of brought it down a bit--still a solid game though.) :gsamus:
7. Metroid Prime Hunters (I don't consider this to be the worst Metroid game only because the Original game is just so...uhg.) :s-logo:
8. NES Metroid (The very first Metroid game. It isn't bad because it's literally a terrible game, but sadly the limitations of the NES bring it down.) :metroid:

I do not count Pinball and I never played Return of Samus.
I was saying only the first prime is as close to a 3D Super as we will get.

And there was a ton of optimism for Other M. All I remember is confusion as to placement in the timeline at first, and concern about the gameplay, but nothing angry.

At least not that I remember.
I recall only one person that declared that the game would suck from the very moment the trailer was released.
Finally, someone who doesn't absolutely hate Other M! Everybody hates Other M, but there aren't many problems with it, it's just that they were trying to make a better excuse to lose your upgrades then just getting slammed into a wall or getting bashed by some Ing. I don't think they fully understood what Metroid was, like the sequence breaking, or how UNrealistic Metroid was. They tryed to make to many things make sense. It was to realistic, in a way.
Bowties are cool.

Slaran

Metroid

Postby Slaran » 11.03.13 2:15am

I haven't played all the Metroid games but from the games I have played I think the best are as followed

Super Metroid
Metroid Zero Mission
Metroid Fusion
Metroid
Metroid II Return of Samus

I have seen recordings of the other Metroid games and from what I saw I would say the best are as followed

Metroid Prime
Metroid Prime 3 Corruption
Metroid Prime 2 Echoes
Metroid Other M
Metroid Prime Hunters
Metroid Prime Pinball

Varia31

Gamma Metroid

Postby Varia31 » 12.23.13 3:19pm

I've never gotten to play Metroid II, sadly, and I don't really count Metroid Pinball (nor have I played it either), so I'll list what I have played, which is otherwise all of them. For me, it's:

1. Metroid Prime 2: Echoes :darksuit: :lightsuit: -- This was my first Metroid game, and I still love the atmosphere, music, weapons, and bosses. Plus, Aether was an interesting planet to see. It will always be dear to me, even if it falls short of what some of the others have done. To me, it's still a pure Metroid game, through and through!

2. Metroid Prime 3: Corruption :mp3: -- To me, this game had a nice balance of story and exposure to more of the Metroid universe whilst still retaining the classic Metroid elements. Beautiful graphics, the great controls and interactivity, and some good voice acting for the most part, it really immersed me in the experience! And for only communicating through body language, reactions, and facial expressions, I felt Samus had a nice little showing of personality. I just feel it's the best example of a modern Metroid so far.

3. Super Metroid :cool: -- Originally played it a a friend's house, then on Brawl's "Masterpieces" section, and then finally got it. Well, it's Super Metroid... I think it speaks for itself. ;)

4. Metroid Prime :s-logo: -- The game that laid the foundation for the rest of the trilogy, it's atmosphere, exploration, great visuals, and nice underlying story still hold up!

5. Metroid: Other M :gsamus: -- Story and some of the mechanics left much to be desired (1st Person was okay-ish), but I genuinely loved the basic 3rd Person gameplay (that includes finally seeing Samus take the hands-on approach in her own series for the first time), and a couple of the boss fights. Loved the Ridley fight, and the Queen Metroid was intense. It was also nice to see the Speed Booster and the original Space Jump and Screw Attack return.

6. Metroid: Zero Mission [METROID] -- Everything I could have ever wanted in a modern remake of the original. The story extension, the abilities, the fluid gameplay. It all felt so good. Shame it was short though.

7. Metroid Fusion :fusion: -- Had great enemies like the SA-X, and some nice boss fights. The story was decent, we got to see a little bit of Samus talking and showing how she thinks in the narrative. Again, a downfall was being relatively short.

8. Metroid: Prime Hunters :samus: -- I agree that this isn't much of a "Metroid" game, and it got old and repetitive in the story mode, but I liked it for what is was: expanding upon the Metroid universe a bit, the other bounty hunters were cool, and multiplayer could be fun from time to time (especially when there wasn't an Action Replay user in a match).

9. Metroid (NES) :geemer: -- Mainly listing this here due to it's limitations as such an old game. It's still great, but all the other Metroid games, to me, are simply superior both technically and in terms of expansion.

I like all of them, just some less than others, naturally.
Haat, Ijaa, Haa'it.

TheAccursedHunter01

Zeta Metroid

Postby TheAccursedHunter01 » 12.23.13 4:32pm

Just a friendly reminder, I do not hate any of the Metroid games, this is more of a list of games I enjoy the most out of all of them.

1. Metroid Prime: Second Metroid game I played, first on a console. Got it for Christmas shortly after beating Fusion and I've loved it ever since. Favorite Metroid game and favorite video game of all time.

2. Super Metroid: I hadn't played Super until a few years ago on Virtual Console, and i fell in love with it almost immediately. Nostalgia shades for Prime place it at number two, but it is REALLY close.

3. Metroid Fusion: The very first Metroid game I have ever played. Playing this first, I never drew the connection that Samus from Prime is the same Samus from Fusion(then again I never knew they were from the same franchise at first since I was kind of a dumb kid/didn't care and I didn't know that much about video games since no one I knew as a kid played video games like me). Atmosphere was great, challenge was the right kind to keep you motivated, scared the shit outta me with enemies like the SA-X and Nightmare. Mostly up this high due to nostalgia, but it's still a great game anyways.

4. Metroid Prime 3: Corruption: The games in the Prime Trilogy are very close to each other on level of enjoyment for me. The game itself is beautiful first of all. One of, if not the best looking Wii game out there. I keep hearing how people say Other M looks so good, but I think they mean the CG cutscenes, cause there are several Wii games that look better than Other M's in game graphics, but that's just me. Love the aiming controls for this game, one of the best First Person Perspective controls out there period. Great mix of story/expansion of the Metroid universe as a whole and the exploration we all know and love. Several emotional scenes like the Rundus and Gandrayda fights, as well as what sneak peaks we get into Samus' personality due to body language.

5. Metroid Zero Mission: This game is one hell of a package. Multiple endings give this game a very high replay value, since the extra endings are very difficult to pull off, especially Hard Mode 15% *shivers*. Beating the game lets you play the original NES Metroid. Great refined 2D gameplay that seems to be the Smash Bros Melee of 2D Metroids with how fast it is(try wall jumping like in Super, it's a lot harder this time around). Expansion on the NES Metroid games story and looks into Samus' past. Overall, another great game to add to the collection.

6. Metroid Prime 2: Echoes: The very first video game I was ever REALLY exited about, considering how great Prime 1 was. There was no way Retro could have lived up to Prime 1's success, but to Retro's credit, they gave a damn good effort. Great bosses like Quadraxis, Emperor Ing and Dark Samus. Darker more involved story with the GF Trooper zombies, and the Troopers logs stating Samus as a hero/mythical figure ala Santa Claus to those who have never met her(more of this please, interesting stuff). Nice concept of the Light/Dark World dynamic. Some of the environments and Dark World can wear on you after playing too long, but still a great game overall.

7. Metroid 2: The Return of Samus: Even though I owned a Gameboy Color, I never played this game either until I got it on Virtual console. I ended up enjoying it a lot more than I thought I would. Fun exploring and finding new powerups. Metroids can be annoying when you get to Zeta and Omegas, the Gammas can be annoying too depending on where you fight one. The game hasn't aged well though, with a forgettable soundtrack aside from the opening tunnel theme, the final area, and the Metroid Queen Battle music. Gameplay can be a bit clunky since Samus is so huge and Samus can't aim diagonally. Still a very enjoyable game overall.

8. Metroid Prime Hunters: I didn't mind the controls, so I like this game. If some people here don't like it because of the controls, that's perfectly fine and understandable. At least this game proved that Metroid Multiplayer can work and be good. The singleplayer is also good with some interesting scans on how Gorea destroyed an entire civilization, beyond that, nothing spectacular. Music is good and atmospheric if you give it a listen. Stereotypical ice/lava levels though. Not great, but definitely above average.

9. Metroid: Other M(THE BAAAAAAAABY!!!! ZOMG!!!! lol): Oh boy, the REAL black sheep of the franchise. I'll get this out of the way right now, I enjoy playing Other M, it isn't all bad. There are plenty of things to enjoy about this game. The bad things I will list are going to be summarized. Plenty of people, myself included, have stated their opinions in great detail throughout this board. However ranty I get, know that this game is a guilty pleasure of mine. The story is bad, could have been a lot better. Gameplay was a good start, but unrefined and restricted being only able to use the Wiimote. Overblasts and Lethal Strikes are cool, it's about time Samus used Melee combat of some kind, but you use them all the time. The same one for every enemy got repetitive after awhile.....even if they are VERY satisfying. The sensemove is broken, makes this game barely a challenge until it decides not to work and you get mercked. NO health/Missile drops from enemies is stupid, give you no point to killing any of them unless the door locks on you. If you are at the right amount of health so you can't restore it back but low enough that you can get one hit killed, you will die at least once or twice. Hard mode is the stupid kind of challenging and you don't get any kind of reward for it either. Environments are very uninspired, since it's the same jungle/ice/lava levels from Mario/Super. Basing the Main Sector off of Fusion doesn't help much either. The colors that are used seem dull and using a lot of grey. After a while I get mental burnout and I have to put the controller down. No other Metroid game has ever done that. Overall, there is too much retro-pandering. You can use Nostalgia very well, just look at MGS4. However, using shit from other games to do a lot of the work for you is a bad idea. The Metroid Breeding plot that was reused from Fusion was a stupid idea for plenty of reasons. However, seeing the speed booster/screw attack in 3D is great, if a bit gimped. The gameplay is what is enjoyable about the game, and that's why you play Metroid to begin with right? Not all bad, just a lot of missed potential, and that's the real shame here.

10. Metroid: The one that started it all. Has not aged well at all, but still a good game 25 years later. No where near as good as those that came after it, but not something that should be dismissed either.

11. Metroid Prime Pinball: I'm not that much into Pinball, so this game is at the bottom of the list. Not bad, is definitely enjoyable, just not my thing. One last thing, dat Brinstar Rock Remix on Frigate Orpheon. :awesome: <3 :geemer:

Bocuma

Alpha Metroid

Postby Bocuma » 02.05.14 11:59pm

1. Super - My favourite game of all time. I think it's perfect.
2. Prime - I almost like it as much as Super. Pretty close between the two.
3. Prime 2 - And I almost like this as much as the first Prime game. I would say either this or Return of Samus is the most underrated Metroid game.
4. Zero Mission - This one is really cool but it's too short and too easy (it at least has an unlockable hard mode though).
5. Fusion - Great difficulty level and atmosphere. Way too linear though.
6. Metroid - I didn't grow up with this game but I actually like it a lot. I think it has aged OK except for a few aspects. I like the non-linearity and sequence breaking. I don't think it's nearly as difficult as some people say it is, especially if you get the Varia Suit and Screw Attack early.
7. Prime 3 - I liked the first two more but I still enjoyed this more than most games.
8. Return of Samus - I just ranked this last but I like it and think it is probably the most underrated Metroid game. The controls and Samus' sprite were improved over the first game.

I've only played Hunters a bit, it kind of feels like a spinoff to me. I don't think Other M belongs on the list; it's not a Metroid game to me.

Kte

Metroid

Postby Kte » 02.08.14 3:35pm

1. :fusion: Fusion- My all time favorite; good bosses, story, controls, way it fits in with the others, etc.
2. :geemer: Original NES Metroid- I feel like people are usually neutral about this one. I was too, until I figured out what I was doing. Now it is extremely fun to play.
3. :motherbrain: Super- Do I even have to say anything about this one?
4. :phazon: Prime- Large map, difficult bosses, great gameplay, etc.
5. [METROID] Return of Samus- Another forgotten game that I love. A little more guided than the NES one, but still a semi-difficult world to explore and fun Metroid fights!
6. :zss: Zero Mission- Great new take on NES with lots of added bonuses. Enhanced upon the first Zebes experience, but also took away from it with much less exploration and sort of "eh" controls, landing it the number 6 spot on this list.
7. :adam: Other M- The first half of the game is okay, the second half is much better. It just wasn't like a traditional Metroid game to me, but I don't hate it. It had a lot of fun parts and was a good follow-up to Super.
8. :mp3: Corruption- The first time I played it, it was kind of boring. Too much running around without anything happening. Others seem to love it though, so I tried to play it again to see if I was missing something, but I just couldn't get myself to like it. The plot was a good end to the Prime series though.
9. :cool: Hunters- I haven't finished it yet because it's just so bad. Repetitive story line and terrible controls did not make this a good experience. The multiplayer was nice though.

Note: I have just begun Prime 2 :lightsuit: , so I cannot make a judgement on that yet. It is really good so far and I have played the multiplayer a lot with a friend and it is awesome! I don't hate any of the games, although Hunters and Corruption were pretty bad, but they all had something enjoyable.
-Kte :X:

gbf2000

Hatchling

Postby gbf2000 » 01.08.15 7:59am

1 MZM is near perfect! :D But its a little short
2 SM this game is pure awesome <3
3 Other M I actually enjoyed this game a lot :AH:
4 Fusion loved the story its my favourite game to replay :X:
5 Metroid a bit frustrating but its fun to play with the manga guide :geemer:
I dont own the Prime games nor M2 but i played a bit of M2 and MP2 at a friend's house
"I'd rather die than lose my life" - Someone

Narpas_Sword

Mochtroid

Postby Narpas_Sword » 02.07.17 10:41am

1. Super Metroid - best video game evaaaaaar!
2. Metroid Prime 2: Echoes - a longer, more complex version of Prime
3. Metroid Prime - pure greatness
4. Metroid Prime 3 - could have been longer but still spectacular
5. Metroid Zero Mission - great remake of the original
6. Metroid Fusion - it was different and great
Up to here I've played all of these multiple times. They're just fantastic games with a lot of replay value.
7. Metroid - the one that started the legacy
8. Metroid Other M - it wasn't as awful as people tend to say, it just wasn't near as good as any other Metroid. I've never had the urge to play it a second time
9. Metroid Prime Hunters - played for about 2 hours. Controls are awful. No real exploration. Not for me.

Haven't played and prolly never will: Prime Pinball and Federation Force.

Kn0p3XX

Mochtroid

Postby Kn0p3XX » 06.07.17 8:11am

It's a good question, so, here's my top list:

1.) Metroid Prime 3 Corruption
2.) Metroid Prime
2.) Super Metroid
4.) Metroid Prime 2 Echoes
5.) Metroid Fusion
6.) Metroid Zero Mission
7.) Metroid II
8.) Metroid
9.) Metroid Other M

I plan to play Metroid Prime Hunters and Metroid Prime Federation Force, if i get a copy, then i'll update this list. ;)

fs_feedback

Gamma Metroid

Postby fs_feedback » 09.18.17 7:01pm

With the new game out, and it's classic entry having a very good fan remake. I wanted to post how I feel about things at this time.

1)Super - My first Metroid game, and first ever video game. A series staple and true classic for a reason. It's atmosphere and music are the best the series has to offer bar none. It also has single handedly raised around if not more than a million dollars for things such as cancer prevention research, and doctors without borders with the save or kill the animals GDQ incentives.
2)Fusion - The true sequel to Super, and a game to rival Super's atmosphere and sound design. Only marked down due to some linear design and hand holding.
3)AM2R/SR - These two at the moment are interchangeable for me, and I'll post thoughts in a Samus Returns thread.
4)AM2R/SR - These two at the moment are interchangeable for me, and I'll post thoughts in a Samus Returns thread.
5)Prime - A game that could have went horribly wrong, but in the end got so much right. A game design that was unfortunately never improved upon in the sequels.
6)Metroid/RoS - These two are interchangeable for me, and built the groundwork for games like Super. They lack some atmospheric elements, and quality of life elements that the newer games had, and are difficult at times because of it.
7)Metroid/RoS - These two are interchangeable for me, and built the groundwork for games like Super. They lack some atmospheric elements, and quality of life elements that the newer games had, and are difficult at times because of it.
#8 Zero Mission - A nice accessible telling of Metroid 1's events for newer gamers, but loses a lot of charm due to a droning sound track, and bright palettes that remove much of the series atmosphere. It feels like an antique that was cleaned and polished so much that it's own value has diminished upon appraisal.
9)Prime 3 - A game that very well could have been as awesome as Prime 1, but stuck behind the horrible gimmick of the wiimote nonsense. Level designs look awesome, and ideas like the corruption meter added some cool effects. The game has the ugliest suit designs though period.
10)Prime 2 - As of writing the Other M part I ended up bumping this game from 11 to 10. The game's length feels artificially extended by it's dark world, and the purple dark world pallete gets old quick. Many of the other areas in the game are a dusty tan brown, and that is the best way to describe the game - Dirt and Purple. The controls keep the same features as Prime, but do nothing to truly improve upon it. It also has a pretty ugly suit :darksuit: and also one of the best in the series :lightsuit: . At least Ridley and his mean case of Sigma syndrome don't make an appearance. If it wasn't for Prime's solid ground work that this game was built off of I would have almost nothing nice to say about it.
11)Other M - A controversial game that scarred the fandom so deep that it is the only thing the fandom often discusses anymore, and at the expense of all the great games in the series that came before and now after. It's controls were decent outside the wiimote FPS aiming stuff. It's soundtrack at times seems non existent, and it's story elements prove the old saying of less is more. It is basically Fusion but worse in all ways. ALL OF THEM.

I can't comment on Hunters as I have never even come close to playing it, and I couldn't care less about Federation Farce.
Mission 1: Apothem's Cookie Quest
Rank A
Cookies :cookie: x 7

Varia31

Gamma Metroid

Postby Varia31 » 09.19.17 11:28pm

Just updating my list here in honor of the new game!

#1 Metroid Prime 2: Echoes :darksuit: :lightsuit: - My first Metroid. Still my favorite after all these years! The atmosphere, premise, locations, and music still stick with me.

#2 Metroid Prime 3: Corruption :dark: - I always loved the presentation of this one, from the cool locations, the soundtrack, and the feeling of a more expansive universe, I will always love this one.

#3 Metroid: Samus Returns 8) - Really, really loving this game! I like the new abilities and mechanics, how well Samus controls, and the fulfilling feeling of being a "Hunter!" The definitive Metroid II experience in my opinion.

#4 Metroid: Zero Mission :mzm: - I always loved the smooth gameplay in this one. It's an amazing remake with just the right mixture of story elements that add to the experience.

#5 Super Metroid :cool: - Good ol' classic Super! The gameplay, atmosphere, soundtrack, and presentation hold up to this day, and it laid the groundwork for all future installments.

#6 Metroid Prime :s-logo: - The start of the epic Prime Trilogy! The premise, atmosphere, soundtrack, and world are an amazing experience to behold.

#7 Metroid Fusion :fusion: - A great sequel to Super that gave us the creepy SA-X, and a neat horror element to the game that gives it a unique feel.

#8 Metroid: Other M :gsamus: - As controversial as this game was, I still enjoyed the gameplay, and appreciate that it at least tried something different, even if its execution was lacking.

#9 Metroid Prime: Hunters :samus: - While the campaign was sorely lacking and repetitive, I liked the new Hunters and the multiplayer was a lot of fun! ...Until Action Replay cheaters overran it.

#10 Metroid Prime: Federation Force :s-grav: - Okay, this game really isn't bad in my opinion. Beneath the chibi art style and different protagonists is a solid, fun little multiplayer spinoff!

#11 Metroid :geemer: - I don't think this game has aged well, but it's what started it all! It's still good, but I find it's only held back by its technical limitations, which is not its own fault.

#12 Metroid II: Return of Samus :charge: - This game is difficult to play, simply because its lack of color, and small screen. It's easy to get lost. Still, it had an important role in setting up the events of Super and Fusion, and got itself a glorious remake! I still appreciate it for what it did at the time, though, much like the original Metroid.

Honorable mention: AM2R :orb: - I really loved this game! I'd say that it would take number 4 on this list, but my list is only comprised of official games. AM2R was fan made of course, but it was well executed, and there are a few elements in it that I think it does better than Samus Returns, such as Morph Ball movement speed, walljumping in a confined vertical space, in-game lore, and more variety with bosses.

:mb_varia: Never played Metroid Prime Pinball, and I don't know when or if I ever will. XD

Here's hoping Prime 4 will be awesome, as well!
Haat, Ijaa, Haa'it.

Return to “%s” General Metroid Discussion