Samus vs Master Chief

For discussing ideas and thoughts on the Metroid franchise in general.
TheAccursedHunter01

Zeta Metroid

Samus vs Master Chief

Postby TheAccursedHunter01 » 06.24.13 1:46pm

I'm not sure if there was a forum thread on this topic that was taken down at some point, but I think it is time to put this debate to rest. Who would win in a battle to the death, Intergalactic Bounty Hunter Extraordinaire, Samus Aran? or the Indestructible Super Soldier that radiates Old Spice Body Wash, Master Chief.

Everyone here should know very well of what Samus is capable of, but is Master Chief able to bring anything to the table that could bring everyone's favorite bounty hunter to her knees? Personally, I say hell no. Chief's armor is no where NEAR as durable as Samus' is, and Master Chief is limited to ammo and weapons he can find. Not to mention that if Chief HAD to resort to melee combat, Samus is most likely equal with him in physical abilities with her Power Suit on, if not equal then not too far behind him. She is one of the most agile tanks in video games and I just don't see Master Chief winning this without outside help or vehicles or something.

Here is an article on the matter in the Screwattack Death Battle Forums: http://www.screwattack.com/news/death-b ... ster-chief

Other video sources from YouTube to draw off of: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b07O6K_a-AU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-NgKkkh8Ac
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjRz-FDcI4E
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1W5G4NwdoE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V770Argg654
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_PznaoJe0M

Finally, for those who haven't seen it yet......here's Haloid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYsEktedIVo
Also, take note that almost EVERYTHING that Chief does is non-canon and ridiculous, while most of what Samus does is fairly accurate. Lastly, I now that Sakurai took the Zero Laser and Pistol Whip thing from Haloid and put it in Brawl. That just seems like too much of a coincidence.

shakalakaDryDry

Metroid

Re: Samus vs Master Chief

Postby shakalakaDryDry » 06.24.13 2:05pm

In my opinion, it could be a pretty fair fight. While Samus does have a MASSIVE firepower lead than MC, he still does have a strength advantage in melee combat. But still, Samus has the lead by a long shot. One shot with a dark beam super missle and MC is done for. :P

HYRUL3

Dark Samus

Postby HYRUL3 » 06.24.13 3:57pm

She'd wipe the floor with Chief. This isn't even up for debate. Seriously.

I love Halo, I have Halo: CE, 2, 3, ODST, Reach, and 4 in my collection, but Chief wouldn't stand a chance. Here's why.

BOTH CHARACTERS AT THEIR BEST

HEALTH:

Chief- one rechargable bar for shields.

Samus- Energy Tanks. Lots of Energy Tanks.

DAMAGE THRESHOLD:

Chief- a few shots from most weapons, both bullets and energy based, will deplete his shields. The following shot breaches armor and kills. One to two swings from a Gravity Hammer will instantly kill, one slice from an Energy Sword will instantly kill, etc. One melee strike from a Hunter will fully deplete his shields.

Samus- Samus has been shot at by Space Pirates many times, and those shots, while killing most GFED Marines fairly quickly, only deplete a little of her health at a time. She's also been hit by Pirate aircraft, been melee'd by enemies larger and stronger than Halo's Hunters, and it took Mother Brain's EYE BEAM OF DEATH to bring her from full health to 1, which would instantly kill Chief judging by the amount of damage he can take before dying.

ARMOR ABILITIES:

Chief- In recent games, Chief can sprint... for a few seconds. He can jump about 1 times his own height. Sometimes he can use a Jetpack, overshield, turret, but only one at a time.

Samus- Speed booster. Screw attack. Space Jump. And she doesn't have to pick which one to bring.

WEAPONS:

Chief- Assuming Chief were to bring his typical Assault Rifle, it would barely put a dent in Samus. Even the series' most powerful weapons, the rocket launcher and the Spartan Laser would probably only deplete one energy tank, maybe more for Spartan Laser. It's hard to say because Samus can withstand very hard missle blasts, and yet the Spartan Laser can bring vehicles down in a few shots.

Samus- Plasma Beam. Ice Beam. Wave Beam. Missiles. Super Missiles. Bombs. Power Bombs.

With all said and done, I really, truly don't think Chief would stand a chance. Samus is way faster, more agile, her suit can withstand A LOT more damage than his can, her weapons are far more powerful, etc.

One charged blast would probably deplete chief's shields, leaving him open for a killing blow. One Super Missile would probably kill him outright, much like Halo's rocket launcher. I think if Samus tackled him while either speed boosting or shine sparking, she'd probably kill him.

In any case, I like both characters a lot. But again, Samus has every advantage.

I'd prefer to see them as allies, fighting some alien threat.

Imagine if the Chozo re-designed the MJOLNIR armor for Chief, giving it some of the Varia suit's capabilities? THAT battle would be something to see.
"I am tired of being under the weight of greedy men who don't believe in anything."

TheAccursedHunter01

Zeta Metroid

Postby TheAccursedHunter01 » 06.24.13 4:54pm

I know what you mean HYRUL3, Samus is just WAAAAAAAAAY to overpowered for Chief to handle. This whole argument reminds me of the Superman vs Batman debate. Supes is ungodly stronger than Batman, but fans just think Batman would win just cause he's Batman. Same goes with Chief, he's awesome, don't get me wrong, but there is no way he could beat Samus in a one on one fight. If Samus had the absolute minimum equipment possible, just the Power Suit and Power Beam from the beginning of Prime, THEN the fight would be interesting as hell. Or they team up like in Haloid, which seems like the most realistic situation. Besides, almost every weapon Samus has could one-shot Chief. Missile, dead. Ice beam then missile, dead. Super Missile, dead. SCREW ATTACK!!!, dead. Hell Samus could probably Boost Ball him to death if she had all 20 energy tanks. I've always thought Samus vs Megaman X would be one HELL of a fight myself, much more so than this. I guess Chief and Samus seem to have more in common with each other at a glance. They have a badass suit of armor, complete lack of a childhood, fight similar enemies, and both were in the military. Sorry Chief, but if you met Samus on the battlefield, your incredible luck would run out. :awesome:

shakalakaDryDry

Metroid

Postby shakalakaDryDry » 06.24.13 5:02pm

forget what I said before, case closed, done. Samus would just smash MC into a pulp, or less.

And one question, how would it feel like to be dropped kicked by Samus while she is speed boosting?

Infinity's End

MDB Staff - Designer

Postby Infinity's End » 06.24.13 5:05pm

I always find it funny when people try to defend MC against Samus. It's usually those who have absolutely no idea what Samus is capable of. There was someone a while back who came on here looking to see if Samus would win against Iron Man, too. lulz.

I'll put it pretty plainly: Samus wears armor THAT COMES OUT OF HER DNA. It isn't some kinda durable "material" that you can even process in your brain. For all intents and purposes, the closest thing we can use to describe it is "Chozo magic." It's basically meta-material. It is incomprehensible by the human brain because our technology isn't advanced enough to even come close to something that it does (or ever will, for that matter.)

Master Chief's armor is to a Matchbox toy car as Samus's armor is to a F-22 Raptor.... actually that metaphor is probably inaccurate. :/
ImageVisit our DA Gallery! A LOT of unique artworks and still growing!
A piece of concept art is not a legally binding contract.

shakalakaDryDry

Metroid

Postby shakalakaDryDry » 06.24.13 5:08pm

Mabey Samus just jumped into a pool of anamantium as a kid and survived!? :P

HYRUL3

Dark Samus

Postby HYRUL3 » 06.24.13 5:22pm

Actually, I think that's a pretty accurate metaphor. Maybe Master Chief is to Samus as skateboard left in driveway is to mom's car? Ant to boot?
"I am tired of being under the weight of greedy men who don't believe in anything."

Zynux

Super Metroid

Postby Zynux » 06.24.13 9:31pm

Yeah, Samus is way too powerful.

Characters from the Megaman franchise would be much more fair, IMO.
"Cut! There are no second chances for actors that fall to the abyss. Await your second casting in the darkness forever." - The Night of Wallachia

Ridley prepping his body for Other M

HYRUL3

Dark Samus

Postby HYRUL3 » 06.24.13 10:37pm

Against Chief? Definitely. Mega Man and X definitely would last longer against Samus but ultimately I feel she'd still win.

Lady Aran

Alpha Metroid

Postby Lady Aran » 06.24.13 11:58pm

She'd wipe the floor with Chief. This isn't even up for debate. Seriously.

I love Halo, I have Halo: CE, 2, 3, ODST, Reach, and 4 in my collection, but Chief wouldn't stand a chance. Here's why.

BOTH CHARACTERS AT THEIR BEST

HEALTH:

Chief- one rechargable bar for shields.

Samus- Energy Tanks. Lots of Energy Tanks.

DAMAGE THRESHOLD:

Chief- a few shots from most weapons, both bullets and energy based, will deplete his shields. The following shot breaches armor and kills. One to two swings from a Gravity Hammer will instantly kill, one slice from an Energy Sword will instantly kill, etc. One melee strike from a Hunter will fully deplete his shields.

Samus- Samus has been shot at by Space Pirates many times, and those shots, while killing most GFED Marines fairly quickly, only deplete a little of her health at a time. She's also been hit by Pirate aircraft, been melee'd by enemies larger and stronger than Halo's Hunters, and it took Mother Brain's EYE BEAM OF DEATH to bring her from full health to 1, which would instantly kill Chief judging by the amount of damage he can take before dying.

ARMOR ABILITIES:

Chief- In recent games, Chief can sprint... for a few seconds. He can jump about 1 times his own height. Sometimes he can use a Jetpack, overshield, turret, but only one at a time.

Samus- Speed booster. Screw attack. Space Jump. And she doesn't have to pick which one to bring.

WEAPONS:

Chief- Assuming Chief were to bring his typical Assault Rifle, it would barely put a dent in Samus. Even the series' most powerful weapons, the rocket launcher and the Spartan Laser would probably only deplete one energy tank, maybe more for Spartan Laser. It's hard to say because Samus can withstand very hard missle blasts, and yet the Spartan Laser can bring vehicles down in a few shots.

Samus- Plasma Beam. Ice Beam. Wave Beam. Missiles. Super Missiles. Bombs. Power Bombs.

With all said and done, I really, truly don't think Chief would stand a chance. Samus is way faster, more agile, her suit can withstand A LOT more damage than his can, her weapons are far more powerful, etc.

One charged blast would probably deplete chief's shields, leaving him open for a killing blow. One Super Missile would probably kill him outright, much like Halo's rocket launcher. I think if Samus tackled him while either speed boosting or shine sparking, she'd probably kill him.

In any case, I like both characters a lot. But again, Samus has every advantage.

I'd prefer to see them as allies, fighting some alien threat.

Imagine if the Chozo re-designed the MJOLNIR armor for Chief, giving it some of the Varia suit's capabilities? THAT battle would be something to see.

^ This. Just...this. That is all.

Personally, I think if she were to use Speed Boost on him, the sheer force of it would most likely vaporize him, or at the very least, create a very large hole through him -- think like at the end of Terminator 2, when Arnold shot that explosive bullet at the T-1000 and he just fucking blew up, lol. O_O

Proud Member of Team Adamus!
"When coming up with Adam's character design, I bet you Sakamoto looked at pictures of John Larroquette for reference..." - Me

Xerkxes

Metroid Queen

Postby Xerkxes » 06.25.13 7:04am

Lastly, I now that Sakurai took the Zero Laser and Pistol Whip thing from Haloid and put it in Brawl. That just seems like too much of a coincidence.
This is not correct.

Sakurai had the Zero laser and whip appear in trailers years before the release of the game. it was Monty who took the items from the trailer (but before the game released). he admitted it indirectly in a series of videos were he showed people the process of how he made the video and things he didn't like. Saying the something along the lines that he couldn't make her "original" whip because of his lack of skill animating it and couldn't find enough source to reference how a laser whip should look in combat, so he dumbed it down to a sword only referencing a whip.

Anyway, as to the discussion at hand.

not only is one of the biggest issues the raw defensive ability she has over him, and the raw firepower and versatility of her weapons, but it's also her abilities to essentially counter most of his equipment.

her screw attack also function as a somewhat limited defensive upgrade, limited only in that it can't block heavy impacts. while using the it she can block the majority of his weapons and she can maintain it for as long as she likes using the space jump, ultimately making everything but the spartan laser a threat (the screw attack making lesser weapons useless, space jump being redicafreaking hard to hit with slow moving projectiles like rockets)
her armor abilities either being equivilent or cancelling out his, like her visor system seeing through cloaks and holograms, seeker missile system dealing with auto sentry without even having to pay any attention too it, her back thrusters and space jump being nearly outright better than his thruster and jetpacks, she can bypass the Hardlight shield by aiming everywhere around him with seeker missiles (or the Other M wavebeam might just upright pass through it... AND his personal shield), and so on and so forth.

she doesn't just have him beat at most raw parameters, it's almost as if she was DESIGNED to beat him.

and don't let "Cortana" naysayers think otherwise, people who believe she can hack anything on the spot even if she's never encountered it before.
Cortana was built with the best Covenant translation and hacking software, she didn't learn it on the spot (though she improved as she went along), Covenant software is often poorly defended (what with mostly broken AI's and defenseless battlenet).
and she was exposed too and anaylzed Forerunner data for over a month before they arrived at the first Halo, at least a week of that with the help of Dr. Catherine Halsey, #1 leading forerunner expert. moreso, due too Forerunner genesongs Cortana's existence was essentially planned by one of the highest ranking forerunner, this genesong essentially made humans build their technology subconsciously compatible with forerunner tech and which is why a number of human technologies can pug right in without any adaptor needed even during first contact.
Cortana has nothing on Chozo technology, and without some kind of emulation software she couldn't run anything on forerunner tech if she tried, any data that might be taken in by Samus' suit would be stored as inert code, scanned for any harm it could intend, and dropped like a stone.
You can't write emulation software if you don't know the language, you can figure out the language if you don't have something to learn it from.
Xerkxes: "Makes you wonder why Samus just didn't take one of the Crystals with her, and constantly charge it with the light beam while using it as a God damned +5 Brilliant Energy Spear of Smite-Ing "

TheAccursedHunter01

Zeta Metroid

Postby TheAccursedHunter01 » 06.25.13 9:29am

Lastly, I now that Sakurai took the Zero Laser and Pistol Whip thing from Haloid and put it in Brawl. That just seems like too much of a coincidence.
This is not correct.

Sakurai had the Zero laser and whip appear in trailers years before the release of the game. it was Monty who took the items from the trailer (but before the game released). he admitted it indirectly in a series of videos were he showed people the process of how he made the video and things he didn't like. Saying the something along the lines that he couldn't make her "original" whip because of his lack of skill animating it and couldn't find enough source to reference how a laser whip should look in combat, so he dumbed it down to a sword only referencing a whip.
Sorry about that, I didn't see any of the Brawl videos showing what Sakurai had in mind, that you for enlightening me on the subject.

HYRUL3

Dark Samus

Postby HYRUL3 » 06.25.13 10:02am

Great point in bringing up Cortana and how she would be of little use. Not that it truly matters
since she's dead.
Even if they take place in alternate universes, Halo and Metroid clearly take place at least several centuries apart. In Halo the human race is just starting to colonize new worlds, and the Covenant are our first interaction with aliens. In Metroid there are colonies all over, the ships are more advanced, humans have met aliens a plenty... Samus at least has hundreds of years of advancement on Chief. If her Chozo designed suit is much more advanced than standard human military suits, In THAT time period, Chief is screwed.

Xerkxes

Metroid Queen

Postby Xerkxes » 06.25.13 6:08pm

good chances she'll come back, made a strong hullabalub about her chip in the next games' trailer and they constantly teased about meta-stable AI's that Forerunners Theorized was possible back around the time of Halo 3
the interesting thing about the time difference between them is.. that it might not necessary be true. for all we know Metroid could have happened a century ago! I mean I doubt it but the possibility is definitely there.

yeah sure it's more advanced, but what with how humans in the Metroid universe found plenty of friendly alien contact, technology could have advanced MUCH much quicker.
However, this is somewhat irrelivent, Samus' power suit technology could easily be over 1000 years old, as on Elysia an 1000+ year old Chozo statue is seen wearing essentially a replica of the Varia suit (Legendary version), just fitted for a Chozo instead of a human. now this is just a statue honering the Chozo, it could easily be even older still.

Chief's using top of the line UNSC hardware that is influenced by Forerunner and Covenant tech, Samus is using something that could be considered.. out of date equipment (even if it's still better than the most recent tech in the metroid universe.), just spells insult to injury (though, to be fair even in Halo the Forunner armor systems are ALSO better than UNSC top of the line gear.)
Xerkxes: "Makes you wonder why Samus just didn't take one of the Crystals with her, and constantly charge it with the light beam while using it as a God damned +5 Brilliant Energy Spear of Smite-Ing "

Return to “%s” General Metroid Discussion