Samus vs Master Chief

For discussing ideas and thoughts on the Metroid franchise in general.
TheAccursedHunter01

Zeta Metroid

Re: Samus vs Master Chief

Postby TheAccursedHunter01 » 09.01.17 12:05am

Keep in mind that Screw Attack considers themselves as the authority on vs matches and that they don't miss anything or get information wrong, even though that's the exact opposite of what actually happens:

The guy who made the above video also made a lengthy 50 minute video debunking everything that's wrong with the Boba vs Samus Death Battle if you would like to watch that as well:

Varia31

Gamma Metroid

Postby Varia31 » 09.01.17 9:51am

Oh yeah, they are FAAAAR from being the final say on Vs Debates. I watch them purely for entertainment, but it still irks me when they get facts wrong or leave things out, because I'm a matter-of-fact kind of guy. The videos you just showed me are great. I like how he deconstructed the Samus vs Boba Fett video and then did his own analysis. I see Vs forums and such all the time that are way more thorough than ScrewAttack, and this YouTuber falls in the same category of effectiveness that the other websites do. Heh... I wouldn't mind seeing him look at Joker vs Sweet Tooth. I had several problems with that one... But anyway, I'm getting off topic.

Regardless of who wins in this DBX, we know who the proper winner is factually. And who knows, even if they make Chief win, maybe they'll make a true DB as well and have Samus win "the real fight." I don't think it's impossible. They once had a DB and a One Minute Melee for Deathstroke vs Deadpool. Although I would much rather see Samus fight Mega Man X. It would be more interesting given her growing power as of Samus Returns.
Haat, Ijaa, Haa'it.

TheAccursedHunter01

Zeta Metroid

Postby TheAccursedHunter01 » 09.01.17 1:00pm

Oh yeah, they are FAAAAR from being the final say on Vs Debates. I watch them purely for entertainment, but it still irks me when they get facts wrong or leave things out, because I'm a matter-of-fact kind of guy. The videos you just showed me are great. I like how he deconstructed the Samus vs Boba Fett video and then did his own analysis. I see Vs forums and such all the time that are way more thorough than ScrewAttack, and this YouTuber falls in the same category of effectiveness that the other websites do. Heh... I wouldn't mind seeing him look at Joker vs Sweet Tooth. I had several problems with that one... But anyway, I'm getting off topic.

Regardless of who wins in this DBX, we know who the proper winner is factually. And who knows, even if they make Chief win, maybe they'll make a true DB as well and have Samus win "the real fight." I don't think it's impossible. They once had a DB and a One Minute Melee for Deathstroke vs Deadpool. Although I would much rather see Samus fight Mega Man X. It would be more interesting given her growing power as of Samus Returns.
I'm not sure how much of a tactical mind Sweet Tooth has, but the Joker definitely wins in the brains department from what I've heard. In a fight thoguh, brains aren't everything, especially in Twisted Metal were you blow people to bits. The fight I disagree with hard is Link vs Cloud. They gave Link basically everything but gave Cloud bare minimum pretty much. Summons not being allowed makes sense since it's sort of outside help, but then Megaman got to use Rush when he fought Astro Boy, so is outside help allowed or not?

The One Minute Melee between Samus and Megaman was really enjoyable, but Megaman won due to outside help and luck, Samus would have destroyed him otherwise. The fight was entertaining, but I disagree with classic Megaman winning, especially how it was portrayed in the video. Anyway, I found a pretty entrtaining Samus vs Master Chief fight that makes up a whole bunch of stuff, but the fight's at least fun to look at:

Varia31

Gamma Metroid

Postby Varia31 » 09.01.17 1:51pm

Joker is smarter, it's just that they made Needles out to be a moron when he has displayed some cunning and wit in tricking Calypso, who runs the contest and has a history of screwing people over, and yet, Needles turned that around on him. And competing in Twisted Metal does take some strategy too, and Needles has been described as a "meticulous" killer. My main beef is that they left all of his intelligence stats out.

The funny thing is, I tend to detect favoritism in the verdicts. They say that there is no bias, but there totally is. Cloud didn't seem anywhere near what he is supposed to be for instance. Scout barely moves around in Scout vs Tracer despite being known for his agility, etc.

Anyway, yeah, I've seen that! It's a definite tribute to Monty Oum, and it is still fun to watch. I even watch the original Haloid every now and then (although I usually stop once the Spartan's nuke goes off).
Haat, Ijaa, Haa'it.

TheAccursedHunter01

Zeta Metroid

Postby TheAccursedHunter01 » 09.01.17 2:36pm

The funny thing is, I tend to detect favoritism in the verdicts. They say that there is no bias, but there totally is. Cloud didn't seem anywhere near what he is supposed to be for instance. Scout barely moves around in Scout vs Tracer despite being known for his agility, etc.

Anyway, yeah, I've seen that! It's a definite tribute to Monty Oum, and it is still fun to watch. I even watch the original Haloid every now and then (although I usually stop once the Spartan's nuke goes off).
There's always bias in anything people do whether you realize it or not, it's just how people are.

I rewatch Haloid every now and then too. What I find interesting is that basically everything Chief does is non canon and ridiculous, but most of what Samus does seems fairly plausible except for maybe the Zero Laser since she hasn't used it in canon before and how fast she activates the Speed Booster.

Xerkxes

Metroid Queen

Postby Xerkxes » 09.01.17 7:41pm

They made Chief seem far better than Samus in CQC than he should be so I'm not sure what to think.
For Chief appearing to be better in CQC as the preview showed, I wouldn't doubt that Samus will somehow turn that around and start up her own wombo-combo.
Part of the issue is that Spartans are PRAISED for their CQC ability. Mentioned in detail in their novels, we have some visualizations of it (so long as you don't use the Locke vs Chief scene, that one makes him look strictly inferior).
Samus has had ONE game where she gets melee credit, and one obscure manga. Even though we can see she's clearly a MONSTER in melee due to some rather.. outlandish feats both in and out of canon, to the masses she is not known for it like John is. Hell if you were to just LOOK at the two of them, you'd assume Samus is slow and tanky while being burdened for the lack of an off hand because of the canon, while John looks like he should be more agile and has access to both hands.

However The issue with Samus and CQC is that even if John was miles better than her in this regards, Samus has equipment that all basically completely moot any possible points to this. If she activates the screw attack, there's nothing he can do to harm her, much less without harming himself in the process, even if he was to pull out an energy sword. The gravity suit/feature may have something to say to the Gravity hammer, which is "Nullified".
Being that close makes him horrible vulnerable to Power Bombs, which because they can't actually harm Samus makes them actually quite the dirty tactic. Her Wide Beam is essentially a shotgun, but any beam her hers basically is when a charge shot becomes involved (which by Other M, again, she's immune to the blasts), and in Both Other M and Fusion point blank charge shots even do more damage.
Not to mention she's contended with creatures far, FAR stronger than a Spartan. She's ridiculously durable by Halo standards.

So no, John does not want to be in CQC with Samus.

Realistically, if John wants to own any sort of advantage in this fight, it's from LONG range.
Samus rarely has weapons that travel FAST, much less go good distances. Most of them are one-off weapons from the primes. The only "distance" weapons she's ever gotten more than once? the Green Plasma beam, but only because Other M made it so that the beam also had greatly increased velocity, in every other game it's slow.
Meanwhile John's got various Sniper rifles, particle rifles, lasers, railguns, etc. Even the standard UNSC gear has more "range" than her beams if only due to the travel time.
Yeah, she could close the gaps within seconds.
Yeah, this means he'll required ideal terrain/battle to utilize it.
Yeah, this basically means ambush. A number of Death Battle's intro start that way anyway. Even this one.
Keep in mind that Screw Attack considers themselves as the authority
Oh yeah, they are FAAAAR from being the final say on Vs Debates
I don't think they actually believe that.
I actually believe it's more of stunt that they have that stance on their statements. It's the internet, what do people do on the internet when someone is wrong? they stick it too the person they believe is at fault! The controversy of their outcome alone generates tons a views as people argue in the comments. I wouldn't be surprised if they are like this on purpose because it makes people want to come and prove them wrong, only promoting views and swelling comments.
I REALLY hope Samus isn't put into her Zero Suit for no reason.
And yeah, I hope no Zero Suit either.
My bet?
Samus is going to lose because she get's EMP'd, which forces her into the Zero Suit, and John wins the fight because of it.
The fact that Samus can't be EMP like that is likely going to escape most people who even play Metroid. The term shows up so rarely and your likely to blow over it. It's not that well known.
In Halo it's a common disable tactic because the game goes out of it's way to instruct that to you and makes it a core tactic in many ways.
That's my prediction and the reasoning behind it.

However, I wonder if they're going to include the new Aeion abilities.
Xerkxes: "Makes you wonder why Samus just didn't take one of the Crystals with her, and constantly charge it with the light beam while using it as a God damned +5 Brilliant Energy Spear of Smite-Ing "

TheAccursedHunter01

Zeta Metroid

Postby TheAccursedHunter01 » 09.02.17 12:19pm

The DBX is out and it went about like I expected:

Although, Chief should have lost long before he actually did, and Samus seemed much less capable in CQC than I expect, but she fought like she's from Smash Bros which is a little disappointing. Oh well,
Samus didn't even look winded by the end and the fight was pretty entertaining all the same.

Xerkxes

Metroid Queen

Postby Xerkxes » 09.02.17 1:14pm

Colour me surprised.
Chief should have lost long before he actually did
Yup.
A number of the things she did to him should have ended the fight immediately.
Screw attack and power bombs most notably.
Samus seemed much less capable in CQC than I expect, but she fought like she's from Smash Bros which is a little disappointing.
Likely had in part to do with how the sprites were made, in addition to that's how MOST people see Samus fighting, as more people know Samus from Smash than actual Metroid material.

Very glad it did not boil down to the Zero Suit, pleasantly surprised there.
Xerkxes: "Makes you wonder why Samus just didn't take one of the Crystals with her, and constantly charge it with the light beam while using it as a God damned +5 Brilliant Energy Spear of Smite-Ing "

Varia31

Gamma Metroid

Postby Varia31 » 09.02.17 1:37pm

Several things Samus did to him should have ended the fight early, yeah. But all the same, that was pretty awesome, I must say. I also laughed a bit when Samus simply ripped the magnum out of Chief's hand then swatted him with her cannon.

EDIT
Scratch that. Watching it again, she swatted him with the magnum. Awesome.
Haat, Ijaa, Haa'it.

Return to “%s” General Metroid Discussion