Unpopular Metroid Opinions

For discussing ideas and thoughts on the Metroid franchise in general.
Xerkxes

Metroid Queen

Re: Unpopular Metroid Opinions

Postby Xerkxes » 01.31.16 1:29pm

When you do that, there really isn't much of a story going on
Prime 1 would be the worst culprit of that.
You get absolutely zero Story Context if you don't read the logs.

Prime 2 and 3 was better in this regards, as there's cutscenes at least to tell you what's going on and what you are doing. Scans provided history and expansion of story instead.
Xerkxes: "Makes you wonder why Samus just didn't take one of the Crystals with her, and constantly charge it with the light beam while using it as a God damned +5 Brilliant Energy Spear of Smite-Ing "

l1ft0ff

Alpha Metroid

Postby l1ft0ff » 02.16.16 5:16pm

When you do that, there really isn't much of a story going on
Prime 1 would be the worst culprit of that.
You get absolutely zero Story Context if you don't read the logs.

Prime 2 and 3 was better in this regards, as there's cutscenes at least to tell you what's going on and what you are doing. Scans provided history and expansion of story instead.
As much as I laud Prime's storytelling as one of the most brilliant elements of game design I've ever encountered (they wrote a story into a metroid game while maintaining the isolation and hands-off approach to the play experience), I have to kind of agree with that. Prime didn't have a lot of context and the formula was made better with just enough cutscenes to give context. Although I feel like it would be best maybe guide the player to a scan log that laid down the context, perhaps lacing it in with the scan objects that you have to use in the obligatory tutorial level. I don't much care for keeping the isolation, but I just liked looking for and piecing together the story myself.
BLARG!

Was formerly Code Green

TheChosenOne

Alpha Metroid

Postby TheChosenOne » 02.16.16 9:50pm

That also feeds into the ongoing fact of why there are such wide-ranging opinions as to what sort of a character Samus is. Is she the type who takes an interest in the context of the world and what's going on around her? Well, if you're the type of player who went through and scanned everything, then yes, Samus is deeply vested in the world. If you're the type of player who shot through and ignored every scannable object, then Samus is all about business. It's that sort of freedom that makes Metroid games great, but it's caused some huge differences in how people see the underlying narrative, along with some deep gulfs within the fan base *coughcoughOtherMcough*.
You're only the best until someone better comes along. You're the first forever.

Lolman

Hatchling

Postby Lolman » 01.02.17 1:27pm

Here is mine:
I don't like the P.E.D. suit.

I would like to present you an old school gamer's opinion on the matter that is unpopular. You may not agree with it after reading, but it's interesting nonetheless!

Let's start with what I've obsered of the popular forum opinion (by age) to contrast:
- Nestroid is seen indifferently, appreciated for its historical importance, but seen as dated (deprecated controls, too hard, even unplayable)
- Super Metroid is hailed as the best (some don't like the floatiness, though).
- Metroid Prime is loved (debated on par with Super)
- Fusion is quite well appreciated, although with a fair share of criticism.
- Prime 2 is liked, with some reservations (some don't like the classic fantasy-style light/dark world, limited ammo, too hard bosses, and lengthy backtracking)
- Zero Mission is loved, with a bit of criticism (slight handholding).
- Prime Hunters is a mixed bag (some don't like that it is more like a FPS, and think the campaign really doesn't cut it)
- Prime 3 is liked (but not all like the NPCs)
- Other M and Fed Force are hated or at least very controversial.

Now for this guy's opinion... He is an original Metroid fan.
He of course agrees that it had a very immersive, mysterious, etc. world, but he also says Metroid was great because it was a very challenging game (though not "cheap", broken hard like Ghost & Ghoblins). He liked that the map was confusing and there were repeating sections with dead-ends as it was unforgiving and made exploration interesting.

He says Metroid 2 was very good for a Gameboy game and forgives its few problems (such as linearity) for this reason. He doesn't think the game is that dated.

He is mixed on Super. Although he too thinks it was perfect in production values, atmosphere, etc., he theorizes it was the start of a decline.
Super is too easy on his opinion, as it can be beaten in a rental, nowhere near the level of challenge of the first, which according to him disappointed many original Metroid players and explains the meh sales of the game at the time.
He loves the new areas but has a criticism toward the map layout: it is more linear than the original, has more glorified keys, not many new mind-screwing moments compared to the original (some he noted were the exploding glass tunnel in Maridia, and falling right before an energy tank to find the animals teaching you a trick).
He finds grapple awesome but Super Missile redundant. He is disappointed that the Spider Ball didn't make it.
He isn't fond of the cutscenes or equivalent sequences, which he finds predictable (making the set-up a bit corny).
He doesn't like Mother Brain's second form which he finds ridiculous. He says the original Mother Brain boss was ingenious, because it was a harmless boss by itself, but the game has inverted the rules again by making the entire room the enemy with lasers thrown at you which pushed you in the lava, and even further ruthlessly made you evacuate with a timer after the grueling fight. He doesn't like that the fake Kraid is right before the real Kraid, because in the original, the fake bosses really tricked you until you found the real boss.

He doesn't like Fusion: "stupid" suit, bad idea of making Samus a Metroid, too linear, too much dialogue shoved down your throat, boring space station setting.

He doesn't like Zero Mission either: another remake when there is already have Super Metroid, even worse as according to him the goal was to retcon the original Metroid to fit the Other M narrative, removing Samus' suit again with ninja sequences that don't belong in the game (even though it was surprising which is good), bad cutscenes, way too easy.

He loathes Other M. In fact, he had been predicting its failure since it was announced. He agrees with the majority on this topic.
He doesn't even talk about FF because he has nothing to add about it.

He loves Prime and Prime 2, and finds Prime 3 meh.
He also liked Metroid: Prime Hunters, because of the "crisp Quake-like gameplay", and its expansion of the Metroid universe, which he found it ambitious.

He claims that Samus doesn't matter. That we don't play for her character, which is just an avatar for us. To support this, he says that most original players didn't even know Samus was a girl, because the game was very hard to finish, let alone fast enough to unlock the special ending, yet loved the game, so because of other reasons.

To sum it up, he says these get worse as time goes (as far as Sakamoto Metroid go):
- Nerfed difficulty: the game is becoming easier and easier, when it was originally very challenging. Super Metroid is easy (Sakamoto made sure his wife could beat it). Fusion as well. Zero Mission even more. Other M maybe even more (auto-aim and evade).
- Recycling content: planet Zebes again in Super, although it was acceptable because it was a big remake of the original which expanded the world. In Fusion, literally re-using previous environments and enemies. In Zero Mission, yet another remake of the original? In Other M, Fusion in 3D?
- Cheesy narrative and internal monologues about Samus' feelings: It started in Super, although the monologue at the start just served as a summary for the past games, but the scripted scenes removed agency from the players and were a bit cheesy and dragged out. In Fusion, it got worse, as Adam would lock out doors for plot reasons, forcing linearity, and spell everything out for the player, while Samus was frequently having monologues which started involving her feelings. In Zero Mission, it got better, with only 2 paragraphs at the beginning and end of the original game, but that's probably because it was a remake of the original which he couldn't alter too much, but did so enough to fit his overall scheme. It went completely crazy in Other M.
- removing Samus' suit: In Fusion, she loses parts of it, and he finds the Fusion suit "stupid looking". In Zero Mission, there is the Zero Suit ninja act at the end, which he finds has nothing to do with Metroid gameplay. In Other M, half the time in cutscenes (which takes half of the game) is in Zero Suit with sleazy shots, and her Power Suit's activation relies on her psychological link, which is very unstable.

metroidsuperfan11

Gamma Metroid

Postby metroidsuperfan11 » 02.09.17 10:37pm

Here is mine:
I don't like the P.E.D. suit.
what are your thoughts on the hazard shield attachment if you don't mind saying and have made it that far/seen it?

Anyway scanning for lore is underappricated except in prime where the chozo lore is a jumbled mess that jumps around and wasn't well written.
This applies to all versions of prime 1.

Lolman

Hatchling

Postby Lolman » 02.12.17 2:38pm

I think my slight dislike of it is because to me it looks like random parts of GF trooper armor were plastered all around Samus' Suit. I'm also not very fond of the grey color and how it meshes with the others. There are too many lines, and lights "veins", overall.

Though it may represent well what it is, an add-on "hack", and stages of corruption aren't supposed to look too pretty.

Return to “%s” General Metroid Discussion