How Did Metroid Come Into Your Life?

For discussing ideas and thoughts on the Metroid franchise in general.
BeingAdamMalkovich

Metroid

How Did Metroid Come Into Your Life?

Postby BeingAdamMalkovich » 09.11.13 3:54pm

Note: I apologize ahead of time if there is a thread with the same topic

Anyway, pretty straight forward question. What's your story with this game series? Why did you play it? Which game in the series was it? What made you stick with it in the end?

Lavama

Hatchling

Re: How Did Metroid Come Into Your Life?

Postby Lavama » 09.12.13 6:15am

If that ain't a good enough answer, Christmas of 2002, I got Metroid Prime, and later got Fusion, and loved both.

fs_feedback

Gamma Metroid

Postby fs_feedback » 09.12.13 4:27pm

:motherbrain: <- Nuff said. Well I wish that was the case. I won't go into all the details but basically I was 4 and I kept playing Super Metroid at the SNES kiosk in Target. 5th birthday came around and I got an SNES with the F-Zero combo and a copy of Super Metroid.

Xerkxes

Metroid Queen

Postby Xerkxes » 09.14.13 10:58pm

for me it's nearly been part of my whole life.
Much of this is probably mentioned on the site somewhere else in pieces, but I don't remember and I feel like sharing it again.

I got my first metroid game, which turned out to be the first game ever that I actually owned, when I was 5 years old, it was given to me by my Uncle.
However, while I played it quite a bit as a kid (mostly from not all that many options), I never beat it since it was so hard for me at the time and I could never keep track of my codes to continue even as I got older and more capable at the game. so the game never clicked with me.

I don't know how, but I did eventually get Metroid II, never played it all that much either... I think my dad might have bought it from a garage sale or something, I just know it was related to him somehow.

And of Course, I had Super Metroid too (NO idea where it came from, just sort of appeared one day, then again my mom is a gamer...), it was the first that I beat, and though I thoroughly enjoyed the game, it began to collect dust after completing it even once.

It wasn't till Prime/Fusion came out that I became captivated by the series.
A friend of mine was having difficulty with Yakuza in Metroid fusion, and tasked me with taking it out for him, by this point I had no interest in the game and hadn't touched Metroid since Super, it took a while but eventually I begrudgingly said yes to help him.
but something was weird... even though it was JUST that boss fight, something clicked, maybe it was I didn't know the context of the game? that I felt unaccomplished by just playing one little segment in the later half of the game? I became curious and actually borrowed it that evening, and too my friends annoyment I beat it in... 3 hours and about 20 minutes with around high 70, low 80 completion rate (my mind nags me 78%, but not quite sure).
It was there that I realized that a Really liked the metroid serious, and what got me to run out and buy Metroid Prime. that game had me captivated for days, the first metroid game that there was no wait period to my next playthrough... but I wasn't quite hooked yet.

It was later, another friend of mine moved in. he had this strange obessesion of watching other people play games (particularly atmospheric ones, he was an artist) and would brow beat me into playing Super Metroid at least once a month.
Even after he moved out, I started to habitually play super metroid, defaulting too it whenever I was bored.. it was around then I realized I was practically hooked onto the series, and had even gone back to complete the first two games.

So... that turned into my metroid history, not just when it came to me XP
Xerkxes: "Makes you wonder why Samus just didn't take one of the Crystals with her, and constantly charge it with the light beam while using it as a God damned +5 Brilliant Energy Spear of Smite-Ing "

Lavama

Hatchling

Postby Lavama » 09.15.13 8:53am

Funny Xerkxes, I always used the Yakuza as THE middle point for Metroid Fusion.

fictionale

Alpha Metroid

Postby fictionale » 09.22.13 5:02am

My Metroid story began with Super Metroid when I was 12-13 or so. The game had gotten really good reviews and my older brother bought it. I loved the game. It was my first Metroid game, and I have yet to exerience a Metroid game that is as good as Super Metroid.

Then Metroid II followed, which brought extreme disappointment - it wasn't even close to Super Metroid.

Then came Fusion, which I didn't like because it was more linear than Super Metoid and told you where to go.

Then came Prime which I felt didn't like at all because it was all about exploration in first person=made me get motion sickness, plus the overall design is bad because it's very easy to get lost and lose track of what's the next target. It's not like in Super Metroid where it's easy to see on the map where you're supposed to go (but still leave room for exploration), the horribly messy 3D map in Prime just confused me and gave me headaches. I wandered around for hours without knowing where I was heading - and suddenly I tripped over the solution. The same goes for Prime 2 and 3.

Then came Zero Mission, which I loved. It was faster than Fusion, and wasn't quite as much holding hands either. And I also saw Samus's ass for the first time. I was shocked, because I always imagined her butt as being "buns of steel". But instead, it was plump and fat and even sagged noticably. And the suit had thonging lines/thong seams. Zero Mission was THE Metroid game that made me look at Samus as a sex object/sex symbol. Sure she stripped in Super Metroid and Fusion, but she just looked so generic in those games. Zero Mission gave her a character flaw (a fat ass) and made her special.

Then came Other M which is the best Metroid game since Super Metroid. The only thing I really didn't like about it was the lack of atmospheric music.

Slaran

Metroid

Postby Slaran » 11.03.13 2:20am

When I was a Kid I had the original Nintendo Entertainment System and my dad decided to buy the game and that is how it came into my life and was happy it did.

Varia31

Gamma Metroid

Postby Varia31 » 12.23.13 3:27pm

I first met Samus in the original N64 Super Smash Bros at a friend's house. Back then, I thought she was a robot (N64 visuals don't help with that! Plus: Gun for an arm. lol), and thought it was a "he"... until I read her profile in the fighter bios. I was like, "huh?!". I originally used Donkey Kong, but then I tried Samus, and found I did a lot better with her. From there, I stumbled across Metroid Prime's case at Gamestop a few times, and I saw commercials for Zero Mission on TV from time-to-time. Eventually, I played Super Metroid at another friend's house, and that's when I finally started getting into it. I then found the demo for Echoes at a Toys 'R' Us later on and gave it a shot! After that, I rented Echoes from a Hollywood Video (they had games), and then finally bought it later. I've loved Metroid ever since!
Haat, Ijaa, Haa'it.

Rustedsoda

Alpha Metroid

Postby Rustedsoda » 12.23.13 11:05pm

Super Metroid's release on SNES. It's strange, because my waking memories of life are Super Mario Bros. and The Legend of Zelda, but never Metroid. (Or Contra either. Strange.)

Prior to Super, I only knew Mother Brain as a Captain N character. Seeing her in the game made a click like "oh now I get it." It's also because of all this, I didn't really see metroids as quite so terrifying. I just thought of the baby, and trying to rescue it, and watching all of that lost at the brain's hands, and tearing her apart. I remember reading the Ben Itoh comic, seeing Samus get equally worked up over it all. Even she ended the comic in tears. This is probably also why I'm much more sympathetic to Other M than most people. I completely understand what it was trying to do, even if it didn't do a very good job of it.

TheAccursedHunter01

Zeta Metroid

Postby TheAccursedHunter01 » 12.24.13 2:22am

How exactly I got into Metroid is a bit hazy but I can tell you what I made out for myself. Only one of my friends played video games, but he never talked about it in school. Only when I was invited to his birthday party did I catch a glimpse of Super Metroid. That's also where I got spoiled that Samus was a girl. Me: Hey, that guy's pretty cool! Bystander: Actually, that's a girl. Me:.....Oh......I ain't even mad. I didn't make a big hullabaloo over it since I didn't play the game, made a connection, and then get shocked I was playing a girl the whole time. That is what I believe got me interested into video games. I bought my N64 not long afterward(which I still have) and a Gameboy Color(which I still have as well :awesome: ). I spent my early years playing on the N64 with Mario 64, Paper Mario and Smash Bros. I never actually looked up Samus' bio, I just played the game and had a blast. Although I believe for Smash 64 and Melee I gravitated often toward Samus even though I didn't have an actual main character since I just played it casually. Not to mention that I distinctly remember in 64 and Melee, Samus CPU in Classic mode gave me the most trouble more often than not.

Years wen by until I got my Gameboy Advance. Other than playing the HEYALL out of Pokemon Ruby, My parent got me Fusion while we were on a trip I believe. This was still at the point where no one I knew played video games like me, and I didn't get a magazine or watch all the commercials to buy/rent games(when Blockbuster and Hollywood Video were still a thing), IO just got a game if it looked cool or interesting. I didn't play Fusion cause it was a Metroid game, but I am sure glad that I did. Something about the game clicked. As a kid I gave up on a game easily if I got stuck, yet with Fusion I kept going, despite getting scared to death of the SA-X. It was one of the few games I beat as a kid and I loved every bit of it(the Ki Hunters in Sector 2 can go FUCK THEMSELVES!!!......*Cough*). Eventually got Metroid Prime for my Gamecube not too long after that, and because I was kind of a stupid kid and that Samus looked different in Fusion, I didn't think Prime and Fusion were in the same series. Anyway, I tried out Prime and I was mesmerized immediately. The Frigate as a whole was like nothing I had ever experience before. All of the destruction, death and horrible abominations was intimidating...yet captivating. I was lured into seeing the Station to the end and then the Parasite Queen showed up. From beginning to end, Metroid Prime blew my mind. After that I was hooked, and Metroid Prime 2 was the first video game I was REALLY exited and speculated for. I can't ell you exactly what it was that drew me in other than my love for anything Sci-Fi. The atmosphere, the weapons, the creatures, that fact that a woman can out perform the most badass action movie heroes. Everything that I loved in a video game was there as well as a few extra things, and I wouldn't have it any other way from my favorite video game series of all time.

SpareChange

Zeta Metroid

Postby SpareChange » 12.24.13 1:15pm

9 years old. Akron, OH.

I didn't play it, but I watched my cousin play it from start to finish.

I do remember one thing, I was not amazed as I guess I should have been when he beat it and Samus turned out to be female. I just remember this awesome game I was watching. He barely got hit by floating cheerios.

Of course after he is done, I try it. I don't even get out of the first room. LOL!

Oh, been awhile...'Ello e'erbody!
Wii U S/N: SpareChnge

HYRUL3

Dark Samus

Postby HYRUL3 » 01.11.14 7:48am

My friend had Super and Return of Samus which I dabbled in at a very young age, but didn't fully appreciate.

Then my sister bought me Fusion for my brand new GBA for Christmas when I was 12. That's when I fell in love. Then I got Zero Mission and for my birthday I bought a Gamecube just for Prime.
"I am tired of being under the weight of greedy men who don't believe in anything."

Zevroid

Metroid

Postby Zevroid » 01.15.14 12:37am

As far as I can remember, which is about five years old, 2001 (I turned five at the end of 2000 in December), we had a Super Nintendo. We had a lot of games, but the three most played ones were Super Mario Allstars (more of a collection of games, but still), A Link to the Past, and Super Metroid. That was my introduction to the Mario, Zelda and Metroid series, but Super Metroid? There was just something about it...

Kte

Metroid

Postby Kte » 01.22.14 3:30pm

For as long as I can remember, my dad owned Metroid Prime because he said it was like "a revolution in 3D gaming," and one of my friends came over and wanted to play it. Ever since I saw the game, I've been playing Metroid quite frequently.
-Kte :X:

HYRUL3

Dark Samus

Postby HYRUL3 » 01.22.14 4:03pm

For as long as I can remember, my dad owned Metroid Prime because he said it was like "a revolution in 3D gaming," and one of my friends came over and wanted to play it. Ever since I saw the game, I've been playing Metroid quite frequently.
Your dad sounds awesome! :thumbsup:
"I am tired of being under the weight of greedy men who don't believe in anything."

Return to “%s” General Metroid Discussion