RUMOR: Metroid game being developed for Switch

For discussing ideas and thoughts on the Metroid franchise in general.
Infinity's End

MDB Staff - Designer

RUMOR: Metroid game being developed for Switch

Postby Infinity's End » 01.12.17 12:00am

WARNING: High levels of screaming and someone acting ridiculously immature incoming

(turn your volume down!!!)
ImageVisit our DA Gallery! A LOT of unique artworks and still growing!
A piece of concept art is not a legally binding contract.

Zynux

Super Metroid

Re: RUMOR: Metroid game being developed for Switch

Postby Zynux » 01.12.17 1:42am

That was hard to watch.
  • -No clue who this guy is or if he has any credentials
    -No evidence or clues
For me right now it's nothing. That said it's the only rumor I've seen of Metroid ever since the release of Federation Force.
"Cut! There are no second chances for actors that fall to the abyss. Await your second casting in the darkness forever." - The Night of Wallachia

Ridley prepping his body for Other M

Khyron

Gamma Metroid

Postby Khyron » 01.12.17 8:58am

That was hard to watch.
  • -No clue who this guy is or if he has any credentials
    -No evidence or clues
For me right now it's nothing. That said it's the only rumor I've seen of Metroid ever since the release of Federation Force.
Zynux; I made it 12 seconds into whatever that was and had to mute him. Thanks for saving me the trouble of suffering through 8 minutes of that nonsense.

Also, it's January 12th, he needs to take his Christmas decorations off.

VGMStudios

Ridley

Postby VGMStudios » 01.14.17 2:32pm

I don't like that guy. Ill believe it when i see it.

Vgm out...
Super Metroid, the most perfect game ever created! Period!

TheChosenOne

Alpha Metroid

Postby TheChosenOne » 01.14.17 8:47pm

Reggie Fils-Aime made some comment a couple of days ago to the effect that Nintendo was "committed" to moving the franchise forward, but then followed up with the line "Let's see where we are a year from now."

What I take away from that is the same thing Nintendo's been saying for the past few years: "we'd like to do something with Metroid, but don't know how to proceed, and there's definitely nothing to announce this year, so stop asking." I just find the statement "Let's see where we are a year from now" to be deeply troubling since they can, if need be, keep floating it out there year after year.
You're only the best until someone better comes along. You're the first forever.

Zynux

Super Metroid

Postby Zynux » 01.14.17 10:04pm

Mostly PR speak, but the comment about a specific "year from now" is interesting to see if they will try to deliver. Personally, I don't see it happening.
"Cut! There are no second chances for actors that fall to the abyss. Await your second casting in the darkness forever." - The Night of Wallachia

Ridley prepping his body for Other M

Apothem

Postby Apothem » 01.14.17 11:31pm

He's said all that before. It's the same old song and dance. Nintendo has nothing to say but have to try and save face. They'll never say the franchise is dead, or even on hiatus, and they'll never commit to a statement until they have something to show. Like with Federation Force we'll be getting the next Metroid game when we least expect it. Hopefully things work out better the next time.

Xerkxes

Metroid Queen

Postby Xerkxes » 01.15.17 10:20am

Yeah, I don't see it as any different a statement as the years prior where they'd just effectively say "Oh yeah, we're thinking about it".

However, do we know what Retro is currently working on? Last I recall they had gone fairly quiet, and that was long while ago.
Xerkxes: "Makes you wonder why Samus just didn't take one of the Crystals with her, and constantly charge it with the light beam while using it as a God damned +5 Brilliant Energy Spear of Smite-Ing "

Apothem

Postby Apothem » 01.15.17 3:38pm

Retro Studios has been silent since they release Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze in 2014. No one knows what they're up to. Allegedly they were to be a part of Nintendo's 2015 E3 Direct presentation but were pulled from it last minute. With the Switch soon hot off the presses, and E3 right around the corner again, this would be the year to reveal whatever game that is. Nintendo needs all the momentum they can muster.

Mxyl V

Egg

Postby Mxyl V » 01.20.17 2:46pm

I've been thinking (dare I say hoping) that a Metroid Switch game is what Retro are developing for several reasons. Among the more evident points (below), I simply can't see why Nintendo wouldn't make another game if they understand the demand; with Zelda and possibly Mario stepping into the open-world category, I'd think Metroid would fit in quite well as an open-world game.
The potential hints I know of so far:
-Reggie's comments (specifically his bringing up Metroid on his own rather than being asked about it)
-Federation Force's ambiguous ending
-The unnamed title from the Prime Trilogy's developers
I don't want to get my hopes up too far, but so far there seem to be several points in that direction. I think it's a legitimate possibility, however unlikely it seems.

Return to “%s” General Metroid Discussion