Samus' Name...

For discussing ideas and thoughts on the Metroid franchise in general.
AaronAGN

Egg

Samus' Name...

Postby AaronAGN » 03.03.17 1:57am

So, I have a question:
I've seen basically everyone say her name is pronounced SAM-us. Got it.
But I read somewhere that her name was inspired/based on the Irish Seamus. Gaelic version of the English James which in turn was a variation on the Latin and Hebrew Jacob.
Seamus means to "supplant" or "overthrow" And Shamus is Yiddish for "detective".
I always thought this was fitting because She solves mysterious things, sorts out mysterious locales, Kills Mother Brain and the Metroid Queen.
So if her name is basically the female and sci-fi bent take on Seamus. Shouldn't her name be pronounced SAME-us?

Infinity's End

MDB Staff - Designer

Re: Samus' Name...

Postby Infinity's End » 03.16.17 12:16pm

So, I have a question:
I've seen basically everyone say her name is pronounced SAM-us. Got it.
But I read somewhere that her name was inspired/based on the Irish Seamus. Gaelic version of the English James which in turn was a variation on the Latin and Hebrew Jacob.
Seamus means to "supplant" or "overthrow" And Shamus is Yiddish for "detective".
I always thought this was fitting because She solves mysterious things, sorts out mysterious locales, Kills Mother Brain and the Metroid Queen.
So if her name is basically the female and sci-fi bent take on Seamus. Shouldn't her name be pronounced SAME-us?
This topic has been continuously discussed for the last 30 years. No joke.
I say SAM-US. Just as it's spelled. Sam like Uncle Sam.
Samus evn says her own name, plain as day, in Other M. She literally looks Melissa Bergman in the face and says "I'm Samus Aran." (But to most psycho fans, Other M isn't canon right? :/ -_-; )
If you're japanese, you will say "Saw-mus" (they don't have "a" as in "cat" sound in their language)
If you were introduced to Samus originally from Smash Bros. Melee or Brawl etc, you will probably also say "Saw-mus" or "Sah-mus."
ImageVisit our DA Gallery! A LOT of unique artworks and still growing!
A piece of concept art is not a legally binding contract.

Zynux

Super Metroid

Postby Zynux » 03.16.17 7:16pm

How Adam says Samus in other M is typically how I and everyone I knew always said it, even despite Smash bros.
"Cut! There are no second chances for actors that fall to the abyss. Await your second casting in the darkness forever." - The Night of Wallachia

Ridley prepping his body for Other M

ChaosWolf

Alpha Metroid

Postby ChaosWolf » 09.26.17 8:08pm

For what it's worth, my first exposure to hearing Samus' name instead of just reading it was the Smash Bros. announcer, in the select/victory clips...

"And the winner is... Sahmus!"
Yeah the Space Pirates and their intricate system of tube-mazes and easily-breakable Metroid containers strike fear in the hearts of the galaxy.

Return to “%s” General Metroid Discussion