e3 & new metroid?

For discussing ideas and thoughts on the Metroid franchise in general.
craigrobbo

Alpha Metroid

e3 & new metroid?

Postby craigrobbo » 05.19.17 3:01pm

With a few rumors flying around now, The latest acquisition at retro studios, The tweets about 'Prime' steak.

i know its all very very vague and probably unrelated but how hopeful are you guys about a proper metroid announcement this year?
If you cant get past a boss, throw the pad at the screen as hard as you can. That will kill it!!

Remnants

Metroid Queen

Re: e3 & new metroid?

Postby Remnants » 05.20.17 3:53pm

There's really nothing but cynicism after the firestorm over Other M died down, which has only been compounded further after we got Fed Force. Honestly, "hope" sems like a four-letter word given the current state of affairs. If indeed there will be a Metroid title released this year, we'll hear about it. Simple as that. I think a lot of us would just prefer to sit quietly until then.

Xerkxes

Metroid Queen

Postby Xerkxes » 05.20.17 7:57pm

C'mon guys.

We all know it's going to be Federation Force 2.

It'll even have a secret ending that shows off the next game in the series.
Other M 2: Your Mom
Xerkxes: "Makes you wonder why Samus just didn't take one of the Crystals with her, and constantly charge it with the light beam while using it as a God damned +5 Brilliant Energy Spear of Smite-Ing "

Zynux

Super Metroid

Postby Zynux » 05.20.17 8:15pm

Not counting on it at all, but I will say that a New Metroid being eventually revealed for the Switch already seems to be a much higher likelihood then it ever was for the Wii U, especially if the Switch keeps up it's momentum.
"Cut! There are no second chances for actors that fall to the abyss. Await your second casting in the darkness forever." - The Night of Wallachia

Ridley prepping his body for Other M

Mxyl V

Egg

Postby Mxyl V » 05.20.17 8:57pm

I think they'd have to have a really good reason for having made Federation Force if they weren't planning on following it up with a legitimate release. FF's primary purpose seemed to me to be making Other M no longer the most recent Metroid game, meaning fans wouldn't think of OM as much whenever they would announce an actual game. Otherwise, I can't see why they would've even given the name "Metroid" to something after so long with such a relatively small amount of work put into it. In short, I think it'd be setting themselves up for failure if they had released FF without a bigger plan.

TheChosenOne

Alpha Metroid

Postby TheChosenOne » 05.20.17 11:12pm

I've looked forward to E3 hopeful every year since 2011, only to be left parched and abandoned on a desert road each time. Even the announcement of Federation Force was disappointing. It was like someone slowing down to pick me up from that roadside, but instead, they just threw me a flat, half-empty bottle of soda and drove off saying, "Good luck, that should tide you over long enough to cross the rest of the desert on your own."

So hopes, yes. Expectations...well...

In truth, I do still think we'll get a Metroid game for the Switch, but I don't think it's coming this year. The first-party schedule for the Switch is already pretty dense for this year. E3 is pretty late for a first-time reveal of a major console game that's coming out in the same year. With that said, will they announce something for 2018? I'm keeping expectations low. I can hope to be surprised. There's also (apparently) still this thing called the "Three-Dee-Ess". I never know what's going on with that. In whatever case, I probably won't be comfortable until I see a proper console Metroid again. We'll see.

And as for Retro Studios, I would find it surprising, but also boring, to find out they were working on Metroid Prime 4. Don't get me wrong, I'd be all over the game...I'd just find the actual announcement to be a bit like, "Well, yeah, everyone already guessed that."
You're only the best until someone better comes along. You're the first forever.

Remnants

Metroid Queen

Postby Remnants » 05.21.17 11:00am

A Metroid Prime 4 would still be the best Metroid game to be released since Corruption.

The thing about a Metroid Prime 4 is that despite the name "Prime," we've seen each Metroid Prime title do its best to differentiate itself from its predecessors like Echoes did from the original and Corruption for the both of them -- all while keeping to the core essentials. That said, we could expect a Metroid Prime 4 to differentiate itself from the Prime Trilogy somehow. We could expect new enemies, new creatures, new ecosystems, one or more new biospheres, one or more new civilizations packed with lore. Could be something that draws connections between the Chozo, Luminoth, the Federation and possibly a new species that may or may not have been mentioned already (like the N'kren and Ylla mentioned in Echoes).

As for what the story could be about, I think Echoes set a very good example. Instead of always trying to raise the stakes ever higher with every iteration, they can be their own contained sagas. While the Ing did more than prove their capabilities by laying to waste both the Federation and the Space Pirates, it wasn't made clear whether or not the Ing had the capability to leave the rogue planet Aether, let alone get very far from it. The catch with this approach, of course, is that you need to care about whatever it is you're saving and I think Echoes did that pretty well -- for me at least. Aether was quite an interesting world despite it having been devastated by the Leviathan Seed impact.

So yeah, I do think a Metroid Prime 4 has good enough potential to stand out from the Prime Trilogy. One last point would be that after Fed Force, it seems as though the "Prime" name indicates a Metroid Timeline rather than just the Phazon and Metroid Prime story arc.

TheChosenOne

Alpha Metroid

Postby TheChosenOne » 05.22.17 11:58pm

One last point would be that after Fed Force, it seems as though the "Prime" name indicates a Metroid Timeline rather than just the Phazon and Metroid Prime story arc.
This is why I don't want it to actually be "Prime 4", though, because putting the "4" on it makes it a part of the Phazon arc, which was pretty effectively wrapped up. Making it part of the Prime universe is fine...it just shouldn't be treated as "Prime 4". (I realize we're basically using that as a placeholder term here, but still...)

If Retro is involved, one reason I'd like to see something other than Prime out of them is for the sake of mixing things up. Until now, there's been a clear divide between what makes a "Prime" game and what makes a "Classic" game. Every game bearing the name "Prime" is developed by an American studio and built with the format of "first-person with third-person elements." There's nothing wrong with the basic formula, and it's worked well, but I'm just not sure how I feel about the Eastern and Western components of the series feeling more and more separate from each other. Though that might just be how it feels to me.

I do think the Prime formula needs an update, or at least a return to its roots. Despite having better technology, controls, and elements like voice acting, I don't think Corruption has aged quite as well as Prime 1. Granted, I'm a bit biased because Prime was the game that made me fall for the series, but I still think there's something about the world design and immersion level that the later games never quite managed to recapture.
You're only the best until someone better comes along. You're the first forever.

Remnants

Metroid Queen

Postby Remnants » 05.23.17 8:57pm

This is why I don't want it to actually be "Prime 4", though, because putting the "4" on it makes it a part of the Phazon arc, which was pretty effectively wrapped up. Making it part of the Prime universe is fine...it just shouldn't be treated as "Prime 4". (I realize we're basically using that as a placeholder term here, but still...)
This clears up any confusion quite nicely so no sweat.
I do think the Prime formula needs an update, or at least a return to its roots. Despite having better technology, controls, and elements like voice acting, I don't think Corruption has aged quite as well as Prime 1. Granted, I'm a bit biased because Prime was the game that made me fall for the series, but I still think there's something about the world design and immersion level that the later games never quite managed to recapture.
I'm in agreement on this when it comes to Prime 3. The thing about Corruption is that always being within comm link between the Federation broke the feeling of isolation whilst in Prime 1 and Echoes, you really were just on your own. In Echoes, the only being you could interact with was U-Mos and even then, his presence is pretty much gone as soon as you leave the sanctuary. You're no longer a lone explorer and bounty hunter but just a bounty hunter on a mission. There's also that whole thing about "Hey, Samus. Now that you've taken care of this, head on over here."

It seems like the lack of any third party leaves the player without any distraction to really immerse into the environment. I don't know many games where environments have such backstory to them and the only way to really sit back and appreciate it is if you aren't under the impression that you're in any hurry. In Prime 1, you're on Tallon IV to hunt down Space Pirates who you know aren't going anywhere. In Echoes, you have the whole Dark and Light worlds thing but U-Mos seems to have things under control enough for you to take your sweet time and he doesn't talk to you unless you talk to him. This really isn't the case in Prime 3 with the Fed contacting you every now and again to brief you on what to do. There's really no sense of freedom in that.
I think the reason that it was less of an immersion break in Metroid Fusion, IMO, is because the environments don't have nearly as much backstory to them as in the Prime Trilogy. That being the case, there just isn't much for you to slow down to and let sink in. Something perhaps Prime 3 could have done is have a post final boss save data where the mission is all done and let you roam around as you please.

Return to “%s” General Metroid Discussion