Aeion abilities & new art style... (metroid 2 SR)

For discussing ideas and thoughts on the Metroid franchise in general.
chojin-zoku

Hatchling

Aeion abilities & new art style... (metroid 2 SR)

Postby chojin-zoku » 06.22.17 7:02am

Are you ok with that...

Temporary power ups? (Aeion abilities)
Fun? Yes
does metroid 2 need a gimic though? :adam:

Art style change?
Mostly random enemy sprites.
Not resembling past titles or concept arts. :choogle:........
Doors not being blue or classic design.

newhenpal

Alpha Metroid

Re: Aeion abilities & new art style... (metroid 2 SR)

Postby newhenpal » 06.22.17 12:05pm

Eh. On the whole, I think it looks fine. The only thing really bothering me at the moment gamplay-wise is the Scan Pulse ability. I understand that power bombing every room in order to progress or find a secret is cumbersome, but this looks to be overcompensating way too much. Not too big on how the power suit looks either, but I don't think it looks offensively bad either.

Zynux

Super Metroid

Postby Zynux » 06.22.17 7:38pm

Art and Graphics are pretty much what I expected for a 3DS title. Nothing great but passable.

Scan pulse is incredibly lame though. I hope there isn't anything more like that in the game. It was already bad enough in Zero Mission having a navigator point straight up tell you where to go next.
"Cut! There are no second chances for actors that fall to the abyss. Await your second casting in the darkness forever." - The Night of Wallachia

Ridley prepping his body for Other M

Big Guy

Metroid Queen

Postby Big Guy » 06.22.17 8:45pm

Not sure how I feel about the visor change, on the one hand it looks cool but on the other it doesn't look like Samus really. Not grooving on the exhaust ports or how she's standing in space on the cover either. I much prefer the original's cover art where she's standing on an actual planet.
Hello.

Mxyl V

Egg

Postby Mxyl V » 06.25.17 7:41pm

Not sure how I feel about the visor change, on the one hand it looks cool but on the other it doesn't look like Samus really. Not grooving on the exhaust ports or how she's standing in space on the cover either. I much prefer the original's cover art where she's standing on an actual planet.
Definitely agreed on the artwork; I can't think of any official Metroid art that beats it for me. On a different note, though, I noticed that Samus' visor in this game looks a bit like Dark Samus' from Echoes. Probably a coincidence, but I find it interesting nonetheless.

Xerkxes

Metroid Queen

Postby Xerkxes » 06.25.17 9:33pm

I'm interested in the Aeion abilites, but I agree the Scan Pulse is...a bit much of a hand holder. I think it should have been reserved for an easy mode or something. Curious as to what else is in the game beyond the Lightning armor, Scan Pulse, and that beam barrage thingie. I wonder why they bother to bring attention to the "mysterious energy Aeion" though instead of just making them new upgrades.

The art style... sometimes I look at it and think of how cool it is, then others I'm criticing how things look.. like the throwback to the supermassive pauldrons and sleeker visor... like how the hell is she supposed to see anything?
Xerkxes: "Makes you wonder why Samus just didn't take one of the Crystals with her, and constantly charge it with the light beam while using it as a God damned +5 Brilliant Energy Spear of Smite-Ing "

TheChosenOne

Alpha Metroid

Postby TheChosenOne » 06.26.17 9:07pm

I wonder why they bother to bring attention to the "mysterious energy Aeion" though instead of just making them new upgrades.
Probably because they wanted to have a way to link them together. I mean, they're all fairly different from each other, so the only other options were to make them all standalone upgrades (unlikely, since there's already a lot to deal with) or to make each one a special ability directly operated via another upgrade class (i.e., an armor special, a weapon special, a map special, and whatever the other one is). In this case, you would basically choose the upgrade class and press a button to say "Activate Special" for this class.

But then it's a question of managing them. You can't just have them active constantly because they're all a bit...overpowered. I think the best way to keep it simplified is to have them all feed off of one energy source. It helps make them all a little less cheap since each one dips into the others' power. As for describing it as "mysterious energy Aeion," well...whatever.

I do agree that the Scan Pulse is a little cheap (at least for classic Metroid fans). There's always that desire not to overwhelm newcomers, and I think these days, that tends to mean using additional guiding mechanisms. I'm a bit torn on which is a better solution in that respect - this, or the map stations you got in Zero Mission. I think this does a better job of encouraging exploration (because you know there are hidden blocks and more areas to look for), but Zero Mission did a better job of making the process of discovering a new area feel special.
You're only the best until someone better comes along. You're the first forever.

Mxyl V

Egg

Postby Mxyl V » 06.27.17 2:54pm

It seems to me that the scan pulse is attempting to be a 2D equivalent to the scan visor of the Prime games. I suppose it makes sense, but perhaps a bit of a shorter range would give more of a balanced challenge?

chojin-zoku

Hatchling

Postby chojin-zoku » 06.29.17 1:40am

The suit design looks good straight on.

But it looks off somehow from the side.

I saw some "team ninja" / other m inspired combat.
It looked like a finishing move vs that omega metroid.

I guess the only reason Aeion abilities bother me...
It's not a side mission like primes, it's part of the original trillogy.

Prequel/ remake and sequel don't have theese abilities.

Ceraiza

Egg

Postby Ceraiza » 06.29.17 8:32pm

I think it was mentioned in the Tree House that certain Aeion abilities can be turned off like the scan pulse, so i'm most likely going to be turning it off on my playthroughs. Finding random secrets is a big part of the fun in Metroid. I did mention in another thread how I did not like how close Samus' suit design looks too similar to Other M, it really is my least favorite version of the Varia Suit. Hopefully they stay away from that look in Prime 4. I do like the added combat though, its probably one the few things that Other M did that I really enjoyed. Its so satisfying see Samus having these CQC moments, it only makes her look more badass tbh.

TheChosenOne

Alpha Metroid

Postby TheChosenOne » 06.29.17 10:15pm

It seems to me that the scan pulse is attempting to be a 2D equivalent to the scan visor of the Prime games.
Ehh, I don't think I agree with that. I'd agree that it might not exist if Prime hadn't introduced scanning to the series, but the functions are pretty different. Here it seems like it's pretty much entirely a navigational aid. Scanning in Prime almost never helped to navigate...it was more for gaining information on things that you could already see - boss weaknesses, lore.
You're only the best until someone better comes along. You're the first forever.

Big Guy

Metroid Queen

Postby Big Guy » 07.02.17 9:21am

That's not entirely true, Prime would often highlight objects and walls to tell you they're made of "Tallorian Alloy" or something, which would mean you could destroy it with a bomb. Basically it took the function of bombing everything to see what tile came up and "streamlined" it. Scan Pulse is way too strong to be compared to it, it's most similar to the X-Ray scope from Super which you didn't get until late game if you followed the "intended" path. Hopefully hard mode will be available from the start and not some DLC bullshit and things like the Scan Pulse and Lightning Armor will be disabled.
Hello.

TheChosenOne

Alpha Metroid

Postby TheChosenOne » 07.02.17 10:36am

[quote="Big Guy"]That's not entirely true, Prime would often highlight objects and walls to tell you they're made of "Tallorian Alloy" or something, which would mean you could destroy it with a bomb./quote]
True, but my point is that the breakable blocks in Prime are frequently pretty obvious as objects you can interact with in some special way. Not always, but frequently. You may not know what weapon to use, but you know the object itself exists and can open a path. The 2D games use much more in the way of breakable objects that are actually hidden - paths that you would never know are there unless you happen to drop a bomb next to one of the camouflaged blocks. The Scan Pulse seems to help much more with locating secret paths, whereas the Scan Visor tells you how to open the ones you can already see.

Odds are that Hard Mode will work like it did in all the more recent titles - unlocked after you clear the game.

Mea quidem sententia

Alpha Metroid

Postby Mea quidem sententia » 07.03.17 10:25am

My two complaints will be lack of an unmentioned Aeion ability and the spazer beam. If there isn't an additional ability, then I would have preferred something over the scan pulse. If the original idea for the spazer was that it increases the width of the beam, then it'd be nice for it to serve a new purpose.

Return to “%s” General Metroid Discussion