Metroid amiibo required to unlock hard mode

For discussing ideas and thoughts on the Metroid franchise in general.
Mea quidem sententia

Alpha Metroid

Metroid amiibo required to unlock hard mode

Postby Mea quidem sententia » 08.03.17 2:51pm

I've been reading this on Google News recently when looking up Metroid, and people seem to have complaints about this. I don't understand why. I suspect fans were going to buy the amiibos anyway, and if they planned on doing so, then what's the fuss? This isn't even the first time Nintendo has done something like this. You needed the GameCube, Game Boy Advance, Metroid Prime, Metroid Fusion, and the cord to connect the GBA to the GC for additional content. I think the whole fuss is unwarranted. It's not like you're being demanded to pay an additional $50, which is what some companies have been known to do.

Oh, and the new Metroid Prime game isn't coming out in 2018. Good. The last thing we need is a shitty game released in less than a year.

Xerkxes

Metroid Queen

Re: Metroid amiibo required to unlock hard mode

Postby Xerkxes » 08.04.17 2:10pm

Probably because it's a "mode", and not simply something aethstetic like BoTW amiibo's.
It's the same reason people were a bit disgruntled about BoTW DLC pack 1 which contained hard mode, which many felt that should have been included in the base game.

This issue is compounded by the fact it's no secret that Nintendo has a supply issue with Amiibos. It's very likely that many that DO intend to buy the amiibos are going to be faced with either long waiting lists for preorders, or scalpers because they could not land a preorder.
I myself intended to buy them, but highly suspect that I will never physically see these amiibos because I've been unable to preorder them from any Canadian store or sites, and will be forced to, again, spoof my own to get the in game content locked out of because of the lack of supply.
Xerkxes: "Makes you wonder why Samus just didn't take one of the Crystals with her, and constantly charge it with the light beam while using it as a God damned +5 Brilliant Energy Spear of Smite-Ing "

newhenpal

Alpha Metroid

Postby newhenpal » 08.04.17 2:58pm

I've touched on these issues in the Samus Returns thread. Might end up "recycling" or simply quoting it when I get the chance.

I want to briefly touch upon Nintendo's history of putting content up behind a paywall during the GC/GBA days. No one ever liked it. Alright, alright, I can't really verify that, but are there seriously any people who yearn for the days when they had to buy a link cable in order to get content that was better served to the player by having them complete in-game challenges? I sincerely doubt it. If that's the case, and it probably is, why even bring it up?

Xerkxes

Metroid Queen

Postby Xerkxes » 08.07.17 8:15pm

No one ever liked it. Alright, alright, I can't really verify that
I know that in my circle of friends AND family, we hated the damn thing as kids.

Namely because of the kinda high requirements to play Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronnicles (a game we loved to bits). Being in addition of 4 link cables and 4 GBA's.
Couldn't justify to my parents to by several cables to play a single game, and only one of my friends bothered to get one. Could never get a 4 player game going.

Going through HIghschool and college when speaking of the FF:CC nostolgia I've heard similar feelings towards the Link Cables.
Xerkxes: "Makes you wonder why Samus just didn't take one of the Crystals with her, and constantly charge it with the light beam while using it as a God damned +5 Brilliant Energy Spear of Smite-Ing "

Return to “%s” General Metroid Discussion