**SPOILER** MP3: Thoughts on the ending

Discuss anything related to Metroid Prime games here!

Hunters 2?

No way.
28%
Of course!
13%
We'll see.
59%

Total votes : 99

Redwing

Super Metroid

**SPOILER** MP3: Thoughts on the ending

Postby Redwing » 09.04.07 6:31pm

DO NOT READ THIS UNTIL YOU HAVE BEATEN THE GAME AT
100%
OR HAVE OTHERWISE ALREADY SPOILED IT FOR YOURSELF

I'm starting now.

Last chance.

Stop reading if you haven't gotten 100%

Okay, for anyone still reading (all 2 of you), what did you think about that last part? After the credits, after the save, after Samus takes off, a ship appears. Whose ship?

Sylux, of course.

So I saw it coming... I knew they had to mention him somewhere. After all, Sylux was the Hunter that had the closest ties to the Federation. He also had the best backstory, as well as the most scannable info. They even let you see his ship in Hunters. The only thing that suprised me was that they didn't bring him in earlier... but whatever.

So my point is... Is this a hint? Will there be a Wii-bourne Hunters 2, answering those Hunters-initiated multiplayer-brainwashed 'fans' with true online gameplay and little or no story? Or is Retro just giving us a fake lead? After all, if another game officially under the Prime series was made, Retro wouldn't be doing it.

"We are taking a break from the Metroid series and from Samus. I'm sure there'll be other titles created, but as far as the Retro Studios is concerned, we're taking a break for a little bit"

from this interview- http://cosmos.bcst.yahoo.com/up/player/ ... cl=3873449

I'm not willing to dismiss it yet, considering people thought the birth of Dark Samus in Prime 1 was just a nod to SA-X.

Gerry

Mochtroid

Postby Gerry » 09.04.07 10:42pm

I never finished Metroid Prime Hunters, so I don't know what Sylux's ship looked like, but I did a search on Google Images and I found this:

Is that Sylux's ship? Because that looks different from the ship at the end of MP3.

I saw someone on another forum saying it was Armstrong Houston's ship from that lame Nintendo Power comic, but I don't think that's right either.

My first thought was that this was Dark Samus's ship. But I seriously hope Dark Samus (and SA-X while we're at it) are dead for good.

Either way... I am hoping there is some point to this secret ending. Perhaps something leading in to Metroid: Dread?

The Dark Hunter

Alpha Metroid

Postby The Dark Hunter » 09.05.07 5:30am

I for one, sincerely hope Dark Samus is NOT dead. Thanks.

I for one, DO NOT WANT ANOTHER HUNTERS!!!

I for one, think it is Dark Samus's ship OR Dark Samus inside Rundas's ship.

(you can see Rundas's ship above the landing site on Bryyo somewhere. I forgot exactly where)

Dark Samus "died" exactly the way she/he/it did in the other two games. By exploding into a cloud of Phazon Particles. She/he/it escaped Dark Aether blowing up and got into space. So I know for a fact that Dark made it off Phaaze.

Dark Aether exploding didn't kill Dark, and neither did Phaaze exploding.
Dark did exactly what they did in the other games, stole every trace of Phazon close to it to keep them alive. That and you kinda killed the Leviathan baby seed inside Phaaze before fighting Dark.

Plus the Aurora was connected to Phaaze, if you scanned it you know.
The Aurora, plus the leviathan baby seed dieing, plus Dark going unstable and absorbing shit tons of Phazon to save her/him/itself, plus all the other creatures dieing in the course of like... minutes.. prolly overloaded the planet.

But yes, I think It's Darks ship or Rundas's ship stolen by Dark.

Redwing

Super Metroid

Postby Redwing » 09.05.07 2:47pm

Actually, I'm pretty sure it was Sylux's. It was optimized for the Wii's graphics, but it did have the four wings and the central pod. It also was a bluish green, but mostly green.

compare to previous. The white thing is my mouse, sorry.

Now, I don't want a Hunters 2 either, but I would like to see Sylux play a large part in a Metroid game (preferably 3rd person 3d)

What I DEFINITELY don't want to see is Dark Samus. Ever. Again. Samus needs a new enemy that does not look like her, f'serious.

EDIT: Rundus' ship is visible in the room with the firey landing pad on Bryyo. Check it out; they look nothing alike. It's very organic, black, and doesn't have wings.

EDIT 2:
Dark Samus "died" exactly the way she/he/it did in the other two games. By exploding into a cloud of Phazon Particles. She/he/it escaped Dark Aether blowing up and got into space. So I know for a fact that Dark made it off Phaaze.

Dark Aether exploding didn't kill Dark, and neither did Phaaze exploding.
Dark did exactly what they did in the other games, stole every trace of Phazon close to it to keep them alive. That and you kinda killed the Leviathan baby seed inside Phaaze before fighting Dark.

Last time Dark died all of the Phazon didn't start exploding. Also, the blast radius of Phaaze was actually in this dimension. On Dark Aether, DS was able to warp back to the light side before the dimension IMploded. I'm quite sure a planet-sized shockwave of Phazon is enough to kill anything living, as well as overload anything that lives on Phazon itself. Also, from what I understood, the Phazon actually died with the destruction of Phaaze. It was an pseudo-organism under a hive mind at the bidding of the planet and thus Dark (because it controled the planet and the AU). Thus, even before the planet exploded, all of Phaaze's fleet of ships lost their phazon and powered down/exploded. The point of showing the seed being obliterated was to prove that Phazon wasn't coming back.

Also, what does destroying the baby leviathan have to do with anything?

JMetroid8861

Egg

Postby JMetroid8861 » 09.05.07 11:39pm

Perhaps it is a nod to Hunter's 2, who knows. At least I'll know this time not to buy it. I don't think it looks exactly like Sylux's ship, but the similarities are there. Who knows what something as small as that could mean though. And as far as Dark Samus goes, I really hope that character is gone for good. Between SAX and her I've had it up to here with Samus clones. Time for a Kraid clone! A 3D battle with him would be pretty intense. It's a shame he couldn't make it into Prime 3. Would've rather had him instead of Ridley, personally. Especially considering Ridley was already in the first Prime, but enough with this tangent.

AMetroidGuy

Super Metroid

Postby AMetroidGuy » 09.07.07 11:15am

OK, I had heard the rumors, but here is what I have to say about all this now that I have finished the game.

1) Retro didn’t even make Hunters and somewhere on these forums I heard a rumor that they disliked it.
2) I was expecting a much greater resemblance, I was surprised when I fianlly finished, because as far as I’m concerned the MP3:C ship looks almost NOTHING like Sylux’s ship, as you can see in Gerry’s helpful pictures. And even if it did, the Delano 7 was a Galactic Federation protoype he stole( like all his stuff). The ship in the end scene could be the production model, piloted by ANYONE.
3) Dark Samus surviving again is a fucking stupid idea. The bitch deserved to die, she’s dead, and/or shipless far beyond the range of space travel. That bitch had better be gone for good, the idea of her returning after blowing up FOR THE THIRD TIME, WITH A WHOLE FUCKING PLANET is worse than Ridley’s constant recurrence.( She is officially female, btw, if you read the scans.) Plus, it would have been shown like it always is, and Deo has very good points about the differences between the two planetary destructions.
4) I don’t think it’s Rundas’s ship, it doesn’t look like it did on Bryyo, if so.
5) DeoWulf, the wings in your first pic look longer than they are because the ship is distorted by its jump to FTL.( Forewings, btw, it was the hind wings of the Delano that were long.) Neither set of wings is the right shape, and where are the green highlights? It doesn’t seem to have an appreciable nose like the Delano, either.
6) I agree with the analysis of Phaze and its relation to Phazon and Phazon creatures. Clearly, the Elysians were wrong and it was trying to communicate/reproduce, not attack, but, still. Seems like someone( I think Icy, as reported by Hiroshi? Someone’s ladyfriend, anyway) was right, Metroid Prime absorbed Samus’s intelligence, causing Dark Samus to become sentient and thus rule over her brethren. Until THEY ALL DIED.
Last edited by AMetroidGuy on 09.07.07 12:24pm, edited 2 times in total.

The Dark Hunter

Alpha Metroid

Postby The Dark Hunter » 09.07.07 11:39am

Am I the only one who actually LIKED Dark? Cause if so that's still great with me, but that's damn sad as well.

And Dark was not a Samus clone. She may have stolen her looks but she's not a clone.

And Yes, it was me who said the thing about intelligence.

AMetroidGuy

Super Metroid

Postby AMetroidGuy » 09.07.07 1:09pm

LadyIcy wrote:Am I the only one who actually LIKED Dark?
Probably.
LadyIcy wrote:And Dark was not a Samus clone. She may have stolen her looks but she's not a clone.
Not a clone, true, but the evil twin thing? That gets tired after 3 games. Leave that stuff to Link.

The Dark Hunter

Alpha Metroid

Postby The Dark Hunter » 09.07.07 2:08pm

I wasn't asking YOU.

Dark Samus was only in two games, it was Metroid Prime in the first one.

And I guess you don't like continuing bosses.

Well sorry for saying I like knowing Samus isn't all powerful and can destroy anything in one hit.

I like knowing something or someone can actually stand up to her and fight back for once. Something BESIDES Ridley.

Gives the game an interesting punch of exitement.

AMetroidGuy

Super Metroid

Postby AMetroidGuy » 09.07.07 3:15pm

LadyIcy wrote:I wasn't asking YOU.
If you don’t want a question answered by the first person who happens upon it, you should probably address it to someone in particular.
LadyIcy wrote:Dark Samus was only in two games, it was Metroid Prime in the first one.
Same villain, different face. But, more to the point, I said “the evil twin thing” instead of “Dark Samus” because I was counting Fusion. Different villains, same theme.
LadyIcy wrote:And I guess you don't like continuing bosses.

Well sorry for saying I like knowing Samus isn't all powerful and can destroy anything in one hit.

I like knowing something or someone can actually stand up to her and fight back for once. Something BESIDES Ridley.

Gives the game an interesting punch of exitement.
Recurring antagonists are cool. Invincible antagonists are not. 3 games is enough for all but the best of villains. Dark Samus is not the best. While invincible heroes can get a little boring, at least they stand for the things the gamer( presumably) stands for. Villains who never get their comeuppance, however, are depressing and otherwise upsetting. It’s entertainment, even if there is injustice, I want things settled at the end. Especially when we are told that it won’t be revisited in the forseeable future. Plus, there is a big difference between someone who escapes from exploding places in real( fictional) danger, and someone who just survives the explosion unscathed. Invincible=boring.

Hiroshi Mishima

Zeta Metroid

Postby Hiroshi Mishima » 09.07.07 3:26pm

No shit Retro'd dislike Hunters. The game fucking sucks at doing anything Metroid-related, including playing like the Prime series. It was a stupid Fragfest ala Unreal Tourney or Turok Rage Wars with a Metroid skin. It was an insult to Metroid fans, especially ones who liked meat to their games.

As for the ending, meh, Dark Samus dies. It happens people, deal with it. If you didn't like the fact that they took an interesting idea and ran with it for the duration of the short series, then deal with that too. I hated Hunters like nothing else, but you don't see me going on about them dying and being glad of it.

Honestly, I think the people who don't like things such as Ridley being able to come back more than once - despite the reasons making sense if you went past the mother-fucking clone theory - probably don't think too hard about things they play or reversely think too much about it to begin with.

Yeah, Dark Samus was in Prime 2 and 3. No, he/she/it wasn't a gods-damned clone or a "evil twin". It was a powerful entity who assimilated many things in an effort to become stronger. This included Pirate technology, Chozo technology, and Metroid & Human DNA/bio information. It ripped the Phazon Suit out of Samus' body, and so it naturally took on a Power Suit-like appearence that evolved as it gained more power. Beyond that, it looks nothing like Samus, laughs like a man, and displayed intelligence and cunning beyond anything the Pirates are capable of.

It isn't an instance of fighting a dark version of yourself, it is an instance off encountering an opponent who is capable of matching you move for move because they're as intelligent as you are, and armed with stolen technology.

If you couldn't handle that they put a half-way decent storyline into the Prime series, even if it took them until now to finally flesh it out, then I pity you. I've been craving a Metroid game with substance to the in-game story ever since I played Fusion, no matter how many plotholes or questions the whole thing raised in regards to continuity and canon. I for one relished the storyline in Prime 3, and hope that this proves to people they CAN make a fucking Metroid game with more meat than gameplay alone. If they really wanted to, they could make the supposed Metroid Dread into a game that explores a darker side to the Metroid series or simply one where the story grips you until the very end. As an avid reader, a lover of RPGs, and someone who likes a good story, I personally feel that, now that we've seen it is indeed possible - although the endings could still use a touch of work - it is indeed possible to make a Metroid game with an actual plot and storyline.

If you can't handle that, go back to playing Hunters and other games that focus on nothing but going from A to B and allow those of us who might actually want something to happen in our games to enjoy the possibility of such.

Oh, and just to lay it out right now. I don't give a flying shit what anyone else thinks, I'm gonna always feel that Dark Samus is a male entity and the scans are simply wrong. The same way I feel that SA-X is female. You don't like it, deal with it. I don't like Hunters either, but at least I'm not denying that they couldn't explore other possibilies involving them, just so long as it stays away from Samus.

Oh, and have a nice day, everyone.
This is a Hiroshi Post™ signature.

AMetroidGuy

Super Metroid

Postby AMetroidGuy » 09.07.07 3:39pm

You bring up an interesting point. I certainly wasn’t sorry to see Dark Samus return here. It was great to finally deal with her on her own turf, and not as an aside to another conflict. What they did with her was great: they made me hate her enough that it was supremely satisfying to finish her. 3 games was a good run, and it ended in the right way at the right time. A totally fitting death. Still a girl though.

Hiroshi Mishima

Zeta Metroid

Postby Hiroshi Mishima » 09.07.07 5:10pm

I must agree with you on that. Though they introduced the character of Dark Samus in Metroid Prime 2, there wasn't much incentive to really dislike them. However, with Prime 3, you get to see a more calculated, darker side - no pun intended - of Dark Samus that simply wasn't there in the first two games. Their actions made you dislike them, much the way that you may hate a really well written villian in a movie or other medium. At the same time, at least from my standpoint, I found Dark Samus to be an interesting villian whom I came to like. Much as I loved Kefka in Final Fantasy 6 because unlike Sephiroth, his character had depth and personality, and while I hated him for what he did, I liked him because there was something about how he was portrayed that appealed to me.

I particularilly liked the way it appeared Dark Samus was manipulating the other Hunters, and then discarding them when they were no longer necessary. Perhaps even using them to feed its own desire for more power, possibly even knowing that a confrontation with Samus was inevitable as she alone seemed to show some promise in controlling the power of Phazon inside of her. After all, good villians love challenges, and what is more challenging than a rival who outclasses all the others?

I also apologize if my previous post came off as hostile or overly negative. I simply felt that some Dark Samus and/or Corruption deserves more credit than some people gave it. For a Metroid game, Corruption showed beautiful graphics, a well-woven storyline, and music that really seemed to fit the locations and scenes well. Despite its flaws, as most games do have some.
This is a Hiroshi Post™ signature.

Teedra

Gamma Metroid

Postby Teedra » 09.07.07 9:15pm

Dark Samus is dead. Yay! and it did not survive the blast of aether. If you notice, she flies striaght up and out.

Dark samus dose not need to return. It's been fun, i killed you a few times, but the story is finished.

A new arch villian would be a good breathe of freash air for the series, and possibly get to see a live chozo.

just some guesses

Redwing

Super Metroid

Postby Redwing » 09.09.07 6:41pm

5) DeoWulf, the wings in your first pic look longer than they are because the ship is distorted by its jump to FTL.( Forewings, btw, it was the hind wings of the Delano that were long.) Neither set of wings is the right shape, and where are the green highlights? It doesn’t seem to have an appreciable nose like the Delano, either.

You're right; I hadn't thought of the direction. If it's a federation ship, I'd be happy as well. One of the Feds needs to step out of the crowd and prove himself. Every army has legends (in games, at least). I think it would be cool if it was a trooper or another Hunter trying to reach Samus in person, for some reason. I hope Nintendo doesn't take too long to give us some info. I hope they're already working on a new game.

It's possible, just as Samus had done, that Sylux modified his ship. Still, it's not as likely as I thought it was. I still hope I see Sylux again. I liked his character. He messed with the Feds and got away. Random thought- isn't the shock coil similar to the grapple-leech? I reminisced while I was sucking the energy out of enemies.

I would almost like to see a game about a completely different Hunter. Not even under the Metroid title, but sort of a tie-in. The series is starved for fresh characters. I would also like to see a real, live Chozo. They should also have the ability to poke it.

Return to “%s” Metroid Prime