discusion for the small things in the prime series

Discuss anything related to Metroid Prime games here!
craigrobbo

Alpha Metroid

discusion for the small things in the prime series

Postby craigrobbo » 08.01.15 8:09am

I've been playing through the prime series again and just picking up on little odd bits here and there.

Wanted to start a thread for discussion and for others to post similar questions

I'll go first.

How long is a decacylce, I see the luminoth who are dead for xxx decacycles?

The bomb guardian, samus suit is invulnerable to her own bombs, when the bomb guardian lays bombs you can still be hurt (even in morph ball) I shouldn't think it would matter what device or being is used to drop the bomb (and a scan does reveal it is actually samus's bombs). I did think the upgrade would also include protection but there is nothing to suggest this...

I'll add more as I go
If you cant get past a boss, throw the pad at the screen as hard as you can. That will kill it!!

Zynux

Super Metroid

Re: discusion for the small things in the prime series

Postby Zynux » 08.01.15 9:56pm

How long is a decacylce
The conventions of timing in the Prime series always irritated me.

I think this board used to have an entire thread dedicated to it.

Either way, I have no idea how long a "cycle" was and it always bothered me when reading the logs.
"Cut! There are no second chances for actors that fall to the abyss. Await your second casting in the darkness forever." - The Night of Wallachia

Ridley prepping his body for Other M

craigrobbo

Alpha Metroid

Postby craigrobbo » 08.13.15 6:44am

Does anyone else get a bit irked by the reuse of the beam cannons in Prime 2?

The Dark beam is essentially just the ice beam, the light beam is essentially the plasma beam but with the cannon animation to the wave and the annihilator is just the plasma cannon animation but actually seems to have its own animation.
If you cant get past a boss, throw the pad at the screen as hard as you can. That will kill it!!

Xandalf

Gamma Metroid

Postby Xandalf » 08.13.15 1:03pm

The bomb guardian, samus suit is invulnerable to her own bombs, when the bomb guardian lays bombs you can still be hurt (even in morph ball) I shouldn't think it would matter what device or being is used to drop the bomb (and a scan does reveal it is actually samus's bombs). I did think the upgrade would also include protection but there is nothing to suggest this...
Yeah I was wondering that as well. Some with the Power Bomb Guardian and SA-X. Although this isn't Prime, SA-X pretty much destroyed the Quarantine Room with a power bomb... but Samus can't do that to a room! The Power Bomb Guardian is capable of killing other enemies with the Power Bomb as well. I wonder why...

The Dark beam is essentially just the ice beam, the light beam is essentially the plasma beam but with the cannon animation to the wave and the annihilator is just the plasma cannon animation but actually seems to have its own animation.
I noticed that but I'm not too bothered by it. Dark beam kind of hurts the enemy over time, and Annihilator beam is as far as I know completely original. Many enemies and other things were reused in Prime 2, actually.

craigrobbo

Alpha Metroid

Postby craigrobbo » 08.15.15 8:04am

Yeah I was wondering that as well. Some with the Power Bomb Guardian and SA-X. Although this isn't Prime, SA-X pretty much destroyed the Quarantine Room with a power bomb... but Samus can't do that to a room! The Power Bomb Guardian is capable of killing other enemies with the Power Bomb as well. I wonder why...

I noticed that but I'm not too bothered by it. Dark beam kind of hurts the enemy over time, and Annihilator beam is as far as I know completely original. Many enemies and other things were reused in Prime 2, actually.

I have a couple of theorys, for the bomb/powerbomb, maybe the upgrade or the suit ability is also what incorporates the protection from said system?

as for the beams, well the way the gun opens tha can be explained by thinking her gun opens in different ways to allow certain beams to be used (regardless of which is in its place)

as for the actual beam...well like you say I think it was just reusing things from previous prime game just like some enemies

Mayan Mystery

Gamma Metroid

Postby Mayan Mystery » 09.08.15 11:08pm

The arm cannon only has so many ways of extending. It can only go up, out, or sideways. Or maybe some combination of those 3.

How long is a decacylce, I see the luminoth who are dead for xxx decacycles?

A decacycle should be just the length of a year on the planet in question if I'm not mistaken. I assume they don't just say years because that might imply Earth years.

Don't have a good explanation for that second one though. Sorry.

Little things that irk me?

-Why the beam upgrades in Prime 3 barely increase your firepower.

-The entire concept behind the dark visor.

For example: some of the seeker missile locks in many parts of the game require you to activate the dark visor to use so you can see transdimensional objects. But your missiles are still firing at objects from the dimension you're in. So how does that work? I've never understood it.

metroidsuperfan11

Gamma Metroid

Postby metroidsuperfan11 » 12.18.15 9:42pm

Bringing up cycles I've always thought a cycle is 1 year a decacycle is 10 you brought up xxx now x is a variable but it can also mean 10 if you're thinking in roman numerals ... That's just my thought. Note when I say year I don't mean earth but whichever planet it pertains too a "cycle" on planet v could be longer or shorter than a cycle on planet k.

TheChosenOne

Alpha Metroid

Postby TheChosenOne » 12.19.15 3:04am

I've operated from the mindset that Cycles in the Primes are close to months (i.e., lunar cycles), but based on a universal measure of some kind. Decacycles would be more like years in this case, as Mayan pointed out. I think this fits with the timeline of Echoes fairly well since the dead Luminoth in their respective temples died between (I think) 1.1 and 1.5 decacycles ago. This would mean Agon fell about a year and a half ago, and Sanctuary about a year ago. Granted, that still means it took the Ing a whole year to get to the Great Temple after that, but I think it makes more sense than taking ten years. It also makes the bodies a little more likely to still be sitting around.

As for the beams in MP2, my issue isn't so much with rehashing the beams themselves as it is with the fact that I never use any of the missile combos for ANYTHING (apart from Super Missiles). I always collect them when I play, but I never feel any need to tap into them. I suppose they're probably useful against Dark Samus or Emperor Ing, but by the time I get there, I completely forget I have them.

The situation is similar in Prime 1, but with a couple of exceptions...the Wavebuster is cool to use for shooting around small obstacles now and then (but again, is pretty unnecessary). More importantly, the Ice Spreader is invaluable in the Metroid Prime first phase battle. Since the Ice Beam travels so slowly, it's hard to score hits when Prime is in Ice mode, but the Spreader not only homes in, it can do the job in one shot.

metroidsuperfan11

Gamma Metroid

Return to “%s” Metroid Prime