Pirate Dating System

Discuss anything related to Metroid Prime games here!
Rustedsoda

Alpha Metroid

Pirate Dating System

Postby Rustedsoda » 08.22.15 10:35pm

Was there an established code or legend to the dating system used by Space Pirates in these games?

Ex: "Prep work on all stasis tanks must be completed before specimen batch y arrives on 12.312.2"

Did Retro Studios disclose an actual key to this? days, months, years, hours, etc?

Apothem

Re: Pirate Dating System

Postby Apothem » 08.22.15 11:14pm

Not that I know of. Same as with the enigmatic use of "cycles", I don't believe that or any other dating system in the games has even been meaningfully expanded upon. Of course, if one were willing to be insufferably technical, the Space Pirates wouldn't reasonably have a human standard of time. Our means of measuring anything is based on our understanding of mathematics, which itself is fundamentally tied to our base 10 numeral system, which is in turn primarily derived from finger counting. As such, the Space Pirate would've logically formulated an entirely different numeral system which would be completely incomprehensible without first knowing what base decimal system it uses. It's also important to note that we mainly measure time as fractions of our planet's rotation and orbit around our sun, both things that could well be radically different - if even applicable - to an alien civilization.

Rustedsoda

Alpha Metroid

Postby Rustedsoda » 08.23.15 12:09am

There was however at least one instance where an amount of time was specifically referred to as "2 years" in the first game, and I would imagine *some* period of time would be equivalent to an earth amount.

Mea quidem sententia

Alpha Metroid

Postby Mea quidem sententia » 08.25.15 10:56pm

Yes and no. Fans have come up with a theory. If a cycle means a year, then the space pirates would have implemented beam weapon prototypes by the time Samus shows up on Tallon IV, as it took only three cycles and the time between Metroid: Zero Mission and Metroid Prime is three years. (Hunter Weapons)

Infinity's End

MDB Staff - Designer

Postby Infinity's End » 09.21.15 12:39pm

I don't think pirates have genders, they're all one evil insectoid/crabby alien race, therefore they probably won't need a dating system. If push comes to shove, there's always Plenty o' Fish or OK Cupid.
ImageVisit our DA Gallery! A LOT of unique artworks and still growing!
A piece of concept art is not a legally binding contract.

Khyron

Gamma Metroid

Postby Khyron » 09.23.15 2:38am

I don't think pirates have genders, they're all one evil insectoid/crabby alien race, therefore they probably won't need a dating system. If push comes to shove, there's always Plenty o' Fish or OK Cupid.
:kraid: Kraid saw what you did there and he/she appreciated it.

Shade Nightclaw

Zeta Metroid

Postby Shade Nightclaw » 01.31.16 3:51pm

Well..maybe cycle "dating" is diffrent per place and race, think about it, not everyone uses the same time to begin with, and diffrent planets have diffrent day/night cycles ect.

CapCom

MDB Staff - Director

Postby CapCom » 02.12.16 1:06pm

I actually gave a crack at it when I worked on the timeline. Note that I think Retro Studios stated somewhere the Cycles were pretty meaningless. You'll see how it gets confusing pretty quickly.

Basically, you can kind of figure out the system since the Trilogy manual states Prime happens three years after the original game and the Leviathan hit 50 years ago, and the Aether leviathan hit 'about the same time'. (Also interesting: it states seeds are fired once every 100 years, but that doesn't mean the seed will hit the target 100 years apart.)

http://www.metroid-database.com/mpt/mptbook2.jpg

Note the Pirate log entries range from 9.992.3 to 11.664.2. The first log was made shortly after Samus blew up Tourian, and the last is made prior to the game's events, so it's a good guess that the first digit is the 'year' given the Trilogy manual:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/gamecube/447244 ... faqs/26136 (Original US)
http://www.gamefaqs.com/wii/954384-metr ... faqs/26556 (European)

However, the Prime 2 logs are also screwy, since the dates are actually EARLIER than Prime.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/gamecube/589573 ... faqs/36379

But what's also really interesting is the Federation uses the same date cycle:

https://youtu.be/kqqiQNKXUTY?t=1m9s

Pirate logs range from 4.468.1 to 7.159.9 and note that a 'cycle' is the first digit. In addition, the planet was discovered 'four cycles ago'. Note however that 7.013.6 is shortly after the Federation arrived on the planet, and the Federation log is dated 07.014.2 (Cosmos). So both Pirates and Federation in this game are using the same calendar, which is useful to know - but it's unclear how the calendar relates to Prime 1.

Contact with the troopers was lost as soon as they landed on Aether, which is eight days prior to Samus taking the mission. The last log mentions Samus fighting Dark Samus, so you could say that 100 in the second set of digits is about a week - either that, or Samus's ship is really slow (although they clearly have ansibles since they can communicate faster than light). The Federation log was probably made after the attack, and the Trooper logs make it sound like they were on the planet for at least a couple days before being overrun. Anyway, one would think it takes awhile for a ship to get from A to B, but they can also use wormholes to get to planet Phaaze almost instantaneously.

Prime 3 kind of did away with the Cycle system entirely:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/wii/928517-metr ... faqs/50012

As for the time between Prime and Prime 2... Dark Samus arrived during Cycle 6 (6.362.2). So minimum time is about one cycle. The logs don't mention anything about Tallon IV. Unfortunately, it's also unclear whether the Pirates transferred the Tallon Metroids directly from their other base or if they were part of a fleet. It would be nice to think the two operations were happening simultaneously, but there doesn't seem to be any evidence one way or the other.

UPDATE: The Prime 3 logs state that Phazon was discovered 'two stellar years ago' so the time between Prime 1 and the end of Prime 2 is two years, and then there's an unknown amount of time between Prime 2 and Prime 3. For reference, Tallon IV was discovered in log 10.229.2 and Phazon identified at 10.344.8.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/wii/928517-metr ... faqs/50012

UPDATE 2: According to the Elysian logs, the Pirate Homeworld was hit by a Leviathan Seed five months before the events of Prime 3. So the Pirate Homeworld was taken over in the course of about four months.
The sleep of Reason produces monsters.

"Until next time..."
Captain Commando

Shade Nightclaw

Zeta Metroid

Postby Shade Nightclaw » 02.12.16 6:19pm

It could be more than likely retro wanted it to sound more sci-fi like and didnt put the thought into it they should have

CapCom

MDB Staff - Director

Postby CapCom » 02.12.16 6:33pm

It could be more than likely retro wanted it to sound more sci-fi like and didnt put the thought into it they should have
Basically. But the system could have worked. In any event, Prime 1 takes place three years after Metroid, and probably a good year between that and Prime 3. I'd say from Metroid 1 to end of Prime 3 is about five years time based on the logs.
Don't you mean Plenty o' Keyhunters and OK Crab?
The sleep of Reason produces monsters.

"Until next time..."
Captain Commando

Shade Nightclaw

Zeta Metroid

Postby Shade Nightclaw » 02.12.16 8:05pm

Technically they could still rework it now that theyre going back to prime stuff with federation force and the game after its setting up, plus space pirates arent all once race, remember they conqure planets and force the strong into theyre armies and the weak to be slaves ....or food if they dont cooperate, hence why they look diffrent every other game

TheChosenOne

Alpha Metroid

Postby TheChosenOne » 02.13.16 12:59am

Technically they could still rework it now that theyre going back to prime stuff with federation force and the game after its setting up, plus space pirates arent all once race, remember they conqure planets and force the strong into theyre armies and the weak to be slaves ....or food if they dont cooperate, hence why they look diffrent every other game
Except I think Retro was working from the mindset that they were all one race, hence why they have one particular homeworld. It's not "a Pirate homeworld", it's "the Pirate homeworld". But the whole thing with the Space Pirates in Prime is one of the things that makes me tend to treat the entire trilogy as an alternate timeline, rather than as core canon.
You're only the best until someone better comes along. You're the first forever.

Shade Nightclaw

Zeta Metroid

Postby Shade Nightclaw » 02.13.16 4:02am

its canon, I think they meant it as the main homeworld , i mean they have conqured several planets and it isnt impossible from them to have a main base

Zynux

Super Metroid

Postby Zynux » 02.13.16 6:01pm

Except I think Retro was working from the mindset that they were all one race, hence why they have one particular homeworld. It's not "a Pirate homeworld", it's "the Pirate homeworld". But the whole thing with the Space Pirates in Prime is one of the things that makes me tend to treat the entire trilogy as an alternate timeline, rather than as core canon.
Which is bizarre since Kihunters were considered Pirates all the way back in Super Metroid and they specifically said to be from another galactic system, making it clear that Space Pirates are a mix races and there are some that weren't part of a core "Pirate" race. Also it doesn't explain Ridley, Kraid & Mother Brain, also considered Space Pirates but obviously physiologically different from say Zebesians and in Mother Brain's case wasn't allied with the Space Pirate's prior.

So I don't see how Retro could fall into that mindset that the Pirate grouping was only based on a centralized "race".
"Cut! There are no second chances for actors that fall to the abyss. Await your second casting in the darkness forever." - The Night of Wallachia

Ridley prepping his body for Other M

TheChosenOne

Alpha Metroid

Postby TheChosenOne » 02.13.16 10:53pm

I think we're all looking too deeply into this. I think the idea in the Primes is that the Space Pirates always were one race (and a few of their more powerful friends, e.g. Ridley), and that the only reason we saw multiple versions was because Retro continually wanted to change their choice of "evil humanoid alien" design. I get no impression that it was actually their intention to make the Space Pirates in Prime 1, 2, and 3 represent three different races within the same organization. Do I know this? No, of course not. It just seems the most likely, to me.

Also, sorry for continuing to drive this thread slightly off-topic.

EDIT: By the way, I hope I'm not sounding overly-pushy. I'm not trying to change anyone's views on what is or isn't canon, I'm just trying to explain my own views.

Carry on!
You're only the best until someone better comes along. You're the first forever.

Return to “%s” Metroid Prime