Phazon Mine Oddities

Discuss anything related to Metroid Prime games here!
TheChosenOne

Alpha Metroid

Phazon Mine Oddities

Postby TheChosenOne » 04.21.16 11:44pm

I've been passing time with another playthrough of Prime. For whatever reason, as I was working through the Phazon Mines, some things occurred to me today that never really struck me before. Setting aside any of the obvious answers concerning game design and/or artistic expression...

1. Why is there what appears to be a perfectly ordinary fish tank in the save room off of the main entrance plaza? There's also another one in the save room at the Dynamo, but unoccupied. Do the Space Pirates have a thing for raising pet fish?

2. How did the mines get constructed so as to have a door sealed behind a rock wall that can only be breached with a mining-configured pulse cannon?

3. A less jokey question...if the Space Pirates were responsible for constructing the mines, why are there Chozo elevators leading down to it? Was there something there before the mining operation?
You're only the best until someone better comes along. You're the first forever.

Meta Ridley

Metroid Queen

Re: Phazon Mine Oddities

Postby Meta Ridley » 04.22.16 11:42am

Yes.

Probably because this is a Metroid game and other than eat you while you're in Morph Ball the Triclops enemies make absolutely no sense. The entire game and map structure have to be modeled around what Samus can and can't do. That's why there's morph ball holes everywhere and some areas that can only be reached by swinging from grapple beam hooks and doors that can only open when you shoot them with light and dark energy infused into one and other mumbo jumbo. It was simpler in 2Dtroid when you can just blow stuff up with bombs and destroy walls but in 3Dtroid they need to make bases and rock formations or whatever and make it accessible by Samus and her abilities. There's so many other questions that can be asked. How does Ridley get anywhere since he's too big? How did Kraid get put in... Kraid? Why have the space pirates not taken away all of the various power ups scattered around the worlds they make contact with and locked them up somewhere or just outright destroyed them? Why are there power up platforms on the space station in Fusion? The only time a map's structure made sense from modern logic was the first 2 Metroids and even then the second one is debatable. How did the Metroid life forms get inside of those rooms with hatches? The first one was just some foreign world where you just blew up walls and stuff and killed things.

And probably. If I was some intergalactic super evil alien armada I'd hapily use elevators left behind to get to places to set stuff up easier. The other answer is the paragraph above.

Okay so when I typed this all up I actually didn't read the part where you said...
Setting aside any of the obvious answers concerning game design and/or artistic expression...

Xandalf

Gamma Metroid

Postby Xandalf » 04.25.16 6:04pm

1. Why is there what appears to be a perfectly ordinary fish tank in the save room off of the main entrance plaza? There's also another one in the save room at the Dynamo, but unoccupied. Do the Space Pirates have a thing for raising pet fish?
It's been made clear Space Pirates can't raise Metroids as pets. That'd be dangerous.

Space Pirates can't be all that evil though. As much as they love using Metroids as weapons to destroy planets, perhaps they just love raising pets and wanted to keep some fish to keep them company as they mine for radioactive substances. Who knows. Maybe they want to raise fish to join the army. If they can recruit rocks, they can recruit fish.

2. How did the mines get constructed so as to have a door sealed behind a rock wall that can only be breached with a mining-configured pulse cannon?
Some jerk Space Pirates built rocks over it to trap their brethren in as a prank. It's not like they could open those doors, anyway. Even after reverse engineering Samus's weapons!

Okay, honestly, I don't know and I never thought of this before. And I call myself a literalist...

3. A less jokey question...if the Space Pirates were responsible for constructing the mines, why are there Chozo elevators leading down to it? Was there something there before the mining operation?
It's not just the elevators. There's also Chozo doors and save stations. Maybe it used to be a Chozo mining site and the Space Pirates brought it back to life when Phazon came along.

I don't know if there are any real answers to any of these, though. All speculation.

TheChosenOne

Alpha Metroid

Postby TheChosenOne » 04.25.16 9:46pm

It's not like they could open those doors, anyway. Even after reverse engineering Samus's weapons!
That's one thing Zero Mission has over any of the Primes...the Space Pirates can actually open their own doors, or for that matter, pass through doors that are already open (coughcoughSHADOWPIRATEScough).
It's not just the elevators. There's also Chozo doors and save stations.
Not sure on this one. I always got the impression that all the doors on Tallon IV were installed by the Space Pirates. Keep in mind, the doors on the Orpheon are exactly the same, too, and the metallic construction doesn't seem to fit the natural aesthetic the Chozo on Tallon IV were going for. The elevators, on the other hand, are built from more of a stone construction and feature Chozo statues as their interface panels. The save stations have those holographic icons next to them that look vaguely similar to the Cipher design, but that doesn't necessarily mean they're Chozo. The save station technology is the same across the board. These could go either way...you could say they were all installed by the Space Pirates, like the doors, or that the Chozo put them down there, or as a third option, we could assume the save station design is some sort of galactic standard, or stolen, or whatever.
You're only the best until someone better comes along. You're the first forever.

Return to “%s” Metroid Prime