Metroid Prime 4

Discuss anything related to Metroid Prime games here!
Acer Burner

Egg

Metroid Prime 4 discussion thread

Postby Acer Burner » 06.13.17 11:34am

Let the speculation begin. :dark:
Let's find out who's ship that really was.

Edit: I'll probably work on collecting all of my thoughts and notes to make a coherent theory later tonight, but I have on thing to say: THAT'S DEFINITELY PHAZON ON THE 4.
Hell, it's about time... and good to be back home.
The resident lurker~
Acer Burner })

TheAccursedHunter01

Zeta Metroid

Metroid Prime 4

Postby TheAccursedHunter01 » 06.13.17 11:38am

Nintendo actually did it, they gave us information that a thing is definitely happening:

Not much to go off of right now other than the number 4 is blue. I'm very happy we're getting this for sure in the near future. I just hope Phazon isn't involved, but I'm guessing the 4 is blue solely for aesthetic appeal.

Luminoth Prime

Omega Metroid

Re: Metroid Prime 4

Postby Luminoth Prime » 06.13.17 11:50am

It's obvious Sylux is going to be involved, so that might be what the blue 4 is about.

That said, "Now in Development" is strange. What's Retro been doing the past few years? Are they even the ones working on it? I wouldn't be surprised if they aren't; a TON of people have left Retro since 2007, so the people responsible for the original Prime games have been long dispersed by now. The Retro Studios of today is as related to the RS of a decade ago as the Bungie of today is related to the Bungie that made Halo.

Either way, whatever team working on it will hopefully live up to the series' high standards.

UPDATE: Yep, Retro Studios is not working on this. Instead, "A talent [sic] new development team" is working on it.

I like this, because as I said, Retro is a shell of its former self, so them developing it would be just the same as giving it to a new studio. Tanabe is also leading the project, so it's got some good direction. And the original Prime was Retro's first game, as they had yet to prove themselves, so we should be equally open-minded for a new studio. Especially given the track record of Nintendo's newer developers so far (Breath of the Wild, ARMS, Splatoon, Super Mario Odyssey, and more).
"Through vigilance and strength, we create peace."

Big Guy

Metroid Queen

Postby Big Guy » 06.13.17 2:43pm

I like this, because as I said, Retro is a shell of its former self, so them developing it would be just the same as giving it to a new studio.
I disagree, they did a phenomenal job with the new DKC games, especially Tropical Dong. I'd rather have seen them on the 2D game rather than Mercury Steam considering the sheer mastery they've shown with 2D level design. The hype I got from seeing that announcement has worn off so now I'll wait until some gameplay comes out before making any judgements.
Hello.

newhenpal

Alpha Metroid

Postby newhenpal » 06.13.17 3:09pm

I like this, because as I said, Retro is a shell of its former self, so them developing it would be just the same as giving it to a new studio.
I disagree, they did a phenomenal job with the new DKC games, especially Tropical Dong. I'd rather have seen them on the 2D game rather than Mercury Steam considering the sheer mastery they've shown with 2D level design. The hype I got from seeing that announcement has worn off so now I'll wait until some gameplay comes out before making any judgements.
Yeah, Retro may not be the same team they were 10-15 years ago, but they are still a very talented studio and I would have been delighted to see them work on the series, be it the mainline series, the Prime sub-series, or a brand new sub-series, in 2.5D or 3D. I'll still give this new team the benefit of the doubt, of course, and am looking forward to getting more information on who they are exactly and what projects some of their staff were involved in, to better get a sense of what we can expect from MP4.

Khyron

Gamma Metroid

Postby Khyron » 06.13.17 3:48pm

Yeah, Retro may not be the same team they were 10-15 years ago, but they are still a very talented studio and I would have been delighted to see them work on the series, be it the mainline series, the Prime sub-series, or a brand new sub-series, in 2.5D or 3D. I'll still give this new team the benefit of the doubt, of course, and am looking forward to getting more information on who they are exactly and what projects some of their staff were involved in, to better get a sense of what we can expect from MP4.
Yep, not going to get bent whatsoever over who is developing the game at this point. June 13, 2017 needs to be a celebration day for all of us long-suffering Metroid fans. We can nit pick the details of this thing (and no doubt we will) for a long time to come. For now, I'm content knowing that N is going to deliver TWO proper Metroid games.

Oh look, a :cookie:
Last edited by Khyron on 06.14.17 12:51am, edited 1 time in total.

Varia31

Gamma Metroid

Postby Varia31 » 06.13.17 4:34pm

While I think the new dev has big shoes to fill, I'm still optimistic. I'm just WAAAAYYY excited that this is finally happening. It's a good year to be a Metroid fan. Now I just need a Switch and a 3DS. lol
Haat, Ijaa, Haa'it.

TheAccursedHunter01

Zeta Metroid

Postby TheAccursedHunter01 » 06.13.17 5:04pm

While I think the new dev has big shoes to fill, I'm still optimistic. I'm just WAAAAYYY excited that this is finally happening. It's a good year to be a Metroid fan. Now I just need a Switch and a 3DS. lol
You might want to get a 3DS first since SR comes out in September and who knows when Prime 4 is coming out, but there are also lots of great games for Switch right now and that are on the way.

Remnants

Metroid Queen

Postby Remnants » 06.13.17 5:14pm

This teaser is as teaser-y as you can get. The actual logo is surely going to be something else entirely and other than that, it was all blue gas. Apparently, development is only now starting which means it'll be at least another two years before this gets released. My money is on 2020. Given that the Metroid series is in dire need of high-quality games to kick itself back from the abyss, they're welcomed to take as much time as they need.

Luminoth Prime

Omega Metroid

Postby Luminoth Prime » 06.13.17 5:16pm

I didn't mean to say that they're a bad studio now (I guess "shell of its former self" came off as derogatory), just that even if Retro was developing it, it'd still practically be an entirely new team because almost all of the people who worked on the Prime trilogy, especially the key development leads, have left to other studios over the past decade. So either way, it'd be made by new people (except for Tanabe).
This teaser is as teaser-y as you can get. The actual logo is surely going to be something else entirely and other than that, it was all blue gas. Apparently, development is only now starting which means it'll be at least another two years before this gets released. My money is on 2020. Given that the Metroid series is in dire need of high-quality games to kick itself back from the abyss, they're welcomed to take as much time as they need.
Could be 2019, as the first two Metroid Prime games were made in less than 2 years. But I'd prefer for them to take as much time as they need to make the game the best it can be. Hopefully they expand upon Metroid Prime 3's multiple world idea, where each one is the same size as Aether in Prime 2 (or bigger). Or maybe just one world of massive size that is put together seamlessly, abandoning the elevators from the past.

JUST PLEASE DON'T LET THERE BE CRAFTING MECHANICS.
"Through vigilance and strength, we create peace."

Kby

Mochtroid

Postby Kby » 06.13.17 5:36pm

I'm trying not to get ahead of myself here as that's exactly what I did with Other M, but I just casually checked E3 news today on my phone expecting nothing from Nintendo and it was just so fucking surreal to see these two announcements. I mean I really thought for a second that this had to be some kind of sick joke.

We know literally nothing aside from Retro not working on it, but it's just so exciting right now to think about the possibilities of a Prime 4 after these 7 years.

BurritoZilla

Mochtroid

Postby BurritoZilla » 06.13.17 6:05pm

Yeah!! I don't know if this was already mentioned but Nintendo also announced (finally) METROID AMIIBOS!! <3

TheChosenOne

Alpha Metroid

Postby TheChosenOne » 06.13.17 8:38pm

You'd think since I'm such a big fan of Prime, I'd be more excited about this, but I'm actually deeply concerned, and it's hard to say why. I guess I have concerns that it will end up being overly-generic. Which is kind of stupid since literally all we know is that it's being developed and that Retro isn't making it. I just have this horrible feeling they're going to try to make Halo and not worry enough about making Metroid. Also, I can't tell you how uninterested I am in Hunters and/or Sylux.

But it's very early. Given that they didn't show any game graphics whatsoever, it's probably not out of pre-Alpha yet. Hell, it may not even be in actual production yet. I live in hope that this can be the game I've waited for for the past 7 years.

Sorry about that. Resume jovial good cheer!
You're only the best until someone better comes along. You're the first forever.

newhenpal

Alpha Metroid

Postby newhenpal » 06.13.17 9:05pm

You'd think since I'm such a big fan of Prime, I'd be more excited about this, but I'm actually deeply concerned, and it's hard to say why. I guess I have concerns that it will end up being overly-generic. Which is kind of stupid since literally all we know is that it's being developed and that Retro isn't making it. I just have this horrible feeling they're going to try to make Halo and not worry enough about making Metroid. Also, I can't tell you how uninterested I am in Hunters and/or Sylux.

But it's very early. Given that they didn't show any game graphics whatsoever, it's probably not out of pre-Alpha yet. Hell, it may not even be in actual production yet. I live in hope that this can be the game I've waited for for the past 7 years.

Sorry about that. Resume jovial good cheer!
lol

Yeah, it sort of amazes me how Nintendo is still pushing this character and plot thread after all these years. It's almost like a forced meme that refuses to stay down. But, hey, I'll eat a huge plate of crow if this turns out to be a good idea.

As for straying from Prime's roots, I don't think that'll be a problem. Actually, I'm more concerned that they'll play it safe and make a conservative, pander-y game simply to appease the fans instead of taking the series in a bold new direction while remaining true to its spirit, like what we saw with Prime 1 and Fusion. Then again, Zero Mission is, many ways, a conservative, pander-y game that sought to appease the fans after the divisive Fusion, and that game was awesome, so this approach might not be so bad. Plus, it's not a good time to take risks when the series is on life support. Samus Returns might reinvigorate it, but you can't be too sure.

chojin-zoku

Hatchling

Postby chojin-zoku » 06.13.17 11:20pm

I'm going to wait on getting a Switch.

Untill we know more about prime 4.

We don't know if it's good.
(Other m ptsd) :thumbsdown:

Bought a Wii exclusively for other m.
Wii u had no metroid, didn't buy one.

Return to “%s” Metroid Prime