Pokemon Games Thread

For discussion of any information on Nintendo's consoles, games or anything Nintendo-related!
Zynux

Super Metroid

Re: Pokemon Games Thread

Postby Zynux » 01.04.17 5:27am

"Cut! There are no second chances for actors that fall to the abyss. Await your second casting in the darkness forever." - The Night of Wallachia

Ridley prepping his body for Other M

Luminoth Prime

Omega Metroid

Postby Luminoth Prime » 06.06.17 5:03pm

Hey-o.

Pokken Tournament being ported to Switch as Pokken Tournament DX, with new characters and features, releasing September 22.

Pokémon Sun and Moon getting new versions, Ultra Sun and Moon, releasing this November.

There's a lot of salt on the internet from people that were expecting Pokémon Stars to be on the Switch. I was expecting either that or Pokken Tournament, though I knew that Stars was a longshot (the last third game in a series was Platinum almost a decade ago, after all) so I wasn't that disappointed. Can't believe so many people worked themselves up to believe that it was a certainty.

Ultra Sun and Moon seem interesting, if only for the new story possibilities. My biggest issue with Sun and Moon was that the story had a ton of potential, and despite having a better presentation than any Pokémon prior, it wasn't as good as it could've been. The pacing wasn't great, with first half/two-thirds of the game having nothing going on, and then towards the end it just explodes into a flurry of things happening. Team Skull was criminally underused, and there was only one Aether Foundation/Lusamine interaction before they (unsurprisingly) turned heel. Ultra Space could've been the next Distortion World, and while the battle there was pretty memorable for me, it was, like everything else, not done to its full potential.

So really, the only thing that I have to be disappointed about from these announcements is the potential for Ultra Sun and Moon to come with a full $40 price point for owners of the original games. That'd be pretty messed up, and hopefully there's a discount for people who already own Sun or Moon.
"Through vigilance and strength, we create peace."

Zynux

Super Metroid

Postby Zynux » 06.07.17 11:37pm

Stars wasn't ever happening, a generation of games is always kept to the same system. That said, Pokken DX is just a port, and Ultra SM continues the tradition of minimal incremental pokemon games that they release as a full game not even a year later, so I'm not interested in either.
"Cut! There are no second chances for actors that fall to the abyss. Await your second casting in the darkness forever." - The Night of Wallachia

Ridley prepping his body for Other M

Apothem

Postby Apothem » 06.08.17 9:11am

Pokemon is going to be in a very interesting place come next year. Will Nintendo fully commit to their console/handheld hybrid and put an exclusive, mainline entry on their newest system? Or will they continue to play coy, too afraid of abandoning their dedicated handheld interests in favor or their radical new concept? Pokemon's basically going to be the game to show whether or not Nintendo will put their full weight behind Switch or remain with their split business model.

Luminoth Prime

Omega Metroid

Postby Luminoth Prime » 06.09.17 4:43pm

Pokemon is going to be in a very interesting place come next year. Will Nintendo fully commit to their console/handheld hybrid and put an exclusive, mainline entry on their newest system? Or will they continue to play coy, too afraid of abandoning their dedicated handheld interests in favor or their radical new concept? Pokemon's basically going to be the game to show whether or not Nintendo will put their full weight behind Switch or remain with their split business model.
The CEO of The Pokémon Company has said that they will be making games for the Switch, and I'm confident that full Pokémon games will transition from 3DS to Switch. Sun and Moon are already halfway there, sporting high-poly models detailed effects, and more advanced cinematography, hence why Stars was rather believable. Furthermore, handheld gaming devices in general are on their way out, as smartphones become far more proliferated (most people I know play old Pokémon ROMs on their phones as opposed to playing the new games on 3DS, if they even own one).

That said, the 3DS install base is still considerably larger than the Switch, and Sun and Moon have sold far more than the Switch is projected to sell in its first year, and are the fastest selling Nintendo games of all time. But unless Nintendo has another new handheld in development, I don't know how much longer they can keep a 6 year old underpowered handheld afloat. There isn't that much more of an option than the Switch.
"Through vigilance and strength, we create peace."

Apothem

Postby Apothem » 06.09.17 8:27pm

Nintendo hasn't come out and completely supported the notion of Switch as a handheld yet. That's why I say Pokemon is such an important linchpin. They almost seem to be straying away from the portable aspects of the Switch, but that may just be so as to capitalize on what sales the 3DS has left. If Nintendo goes whole hog and definitively merges both platforms they'll be in largely uncharted territory. It'll be the first time they've had a single current system at market since 1989. Their handhelds have kept them afloat while their home consoles have been slowly tanking for decades. Combining them both and throwing all their eggs into one basket must be a terrifying prospect for Nintendo. If they don't completely commit to Switch it'll undermine the primary function of the entire system, and as such is something they'll need to push sooner rather than later. That's going to make their E3 presentation all the more interesting.

Return to “%s” General Nintendo Discussion