Super Mario Galaxy 2

For discussion of any information on Nintendo's consoles, games or anything Nintendo-related!
Naner

Dark Samus

Re: Super Mario Galaxy 2

Postby Naner » 07.05.10 8:04pm

I finally completed it, after spending Saturday morning trying the final galaxy until I did it. Nice ending, but... I don't have time to go replaying it now. To Paper Mario and exams!
Naner, you rock.
My Facebook
Shinesparkers

Zynux

Super Metroid

Postby Zynux » 07.19.15 9:00pm

Omega bump to remind that the Bee power-up is the worst power-up ever in Mario, and why they brought it back in Galaxy 2 will forever boggle my mind.
"Cut! There are no second chances for actors that fall to the abyss. Await your second casting in the darkness forever." - The Night of Wallachia

Ridley prepping his body for Other M

Apothem

Postby Apothem » 07.20.15 9:36am

Five YEARS. Wow, that's one hell of a necro bump. I agree, though, I never liked the bee suit. I'd still kill for a Galaxy 3 at this point.

Xandalf

Gamma Metroid

Postby Xandalf » 07.20.15 11:58am

I want Sunshine 2. Motion Controls with F.L.U.D.D. would work out good.

But yeah, I didn't like the bee power up that much but it's still better than... some other power ups. :| Why they don't bring the Hammer suit back boggles me even more.

Apothem

Postby Apothem » 07.20.15 12:06pm

I recently played through Sunshine for the first time. It was good enough to see it through, but I wouldn't want another one unless they somehow fixed the monotony inherent in the design. F.L.U.D.D. is a potentially interesting gimmick, but the manner of its incorporation brought the games pacing to a crawl. It's not terribly fun playing a fantastical janitor; the other nozzles were practically useless; the boss fights were stupidly simply and repeatedly recycled; Yoshi was all but wasted; and all the arbitrary coin hunting was terribly. While not a gameplay facet, the cutscenes and voice acting felt incredibly out of place, and the story was ridiculous even by Mario standards.

Zynux

Super Metroid

Postby Zynux » 07.20.15 8:19pm

Five YEARS.
F I V E Y E A R S
I
V
E
Y
E
A
R
S

Still didn't want to make a new thread when one existed.

---

Bee suit is the worst ever:
  • - Moves and flies at the speed of molasses
    - Doesn't even last long or go very high
    - Get's rid of your ability to triple jump, removing all momentum #1
    - Any built of speed is completely halted once flying, removing all momentum #2
    - Sections relegated to it had lack luster platforming (since no triple jump) and replaced with boring climbing sections.

Compare this to the Cloud power-up, which pretty much does the exact opposite:
  • - Allows Mario to retain all of his jumping abilities.
    - Added floatiness allows Mario to make great heights and leaps then the Bee Suit ever could
    - Cloud platforms adds even more to the platforming gameplay instead of dumb climbing sections
    - The power-up allowed for a lot of platforming, transversing and exploration of both great distances and great heights, compared to the bee suit which was only really good for getting higher with little distance.
    - Largely keeps all momentum through jumping. Only hindrance is the floatiness and the need to spin-jump to create more clouds, which while not perfect is much better and more natural then the bee.
With the Cloud suit and Yoshi's Air Balloon ability, I really wonder why they even bothered to keep in the Bee suit. I was hoping they would get rid of it but they never did.

---

I wouldn't mind a Galaxy 3, but I really hope they get rid of the linearity. It's the main reason why I still prefer 64 and Sunshine: you have a lot more freedom to transverse the levels and explore then you did in Galaxy.

I'd be fine with a Sunshine 2 if they overhauled the Hover Nozzle. Have it not break all momentum (Similar to Diddy's jetpack in Donkey Kong Country Returns) and the platforming would be greatly improved. Hell, probably even better then galaxy since I think even the spin-jump really ruined a lot of momentum in platforming.
"Cut! There are no second chances for actors that fall to the abyss. Await your second casting in the darkness forever." - The Night of Wallachia

HYRUL3

Dark Samus

Postby HYRUL3 » 07.22.15 3:35am

"I am tired of being under the weight of greedy men who don't believe in anything."

Zynux

Super Metroid

Postby Zynux » 07.22.15 1:37pm

You're probably right.

Which is funny since I don't think it's cute at all. It has little appeal to me over Tanooki Mario, for example.

HYRUL3

Dark Samus

Postby HYRUL3 » 07.23.15 12:13pm

You're probably right.

Which is funny since I don't think it's cute at all. It has little appeal to me over Tanooki Mario, for example.
Agreed. I'll take Tanooki or Cat Mario over Bee Mario any day.
"I am tired of being under the weight of greedy men who don't believe in anything."

Luminoth Prime

Omega Metroid

Postby Luminoth Prime » 07.24.15 6:36am

You're probably right.

Agreed. I'll take Tanooki or Cat Mario over Bee Mario any day.
You sure about that?
"Through vigilance and strength, we create peace."

HYRUL3

Dark Samus

Postby HYRUL3 » 07.24.15 1:18pm

What the

Who

Please leave

Return to “%s” General Nintendo Discussion