Kirby topic, talk about anything Kirby realated. <(^^)>

For discussion of any information on Nintendo's consoles, games or anything Nintendo-related!
Zynux

Super Metroid

Re: Kirby topic, talk about anything Kirby realated. <(^^)>

Postby Zynux » 07.15.15 8:02pm

Rainbow Curse is an unconventional Kirby game, a spiritual sequel to Canvas Curse.

If you ever get a chance try Kirby Superstar. Even after all these years it's still pretty much the quintessential Kirby game.
"Cut! There are no second chances for actors that fall to the abyss. Await your second casting in the darkness forever." - The Night of Wallachia

Ridley prepping his body for Other M

Apothem

Postby Apothem » 07.16.15 2:43am

Definitely. The NDS version is great as well. I'd also recommend Nightmare in Dreamland (GBA), The Amazing Mirror (GBA), and Squeak Squad (NDS), all of which are excellent and mechanically derivative of classic Kirby style, specifically that of Super Star.

Luminoth Prime

Omega Metroid

Postby Luminoth Prime » 07.16.15 5:46pm

Rainbow Curse is only $40 at GameStop. Which is weird, given that older items like Mario Kart 8 and Pokémon X/Y are still full price. Supply and demand, I guess. I'd have bought the game were I not saving up for GodzillaStation.

I love Canvas Curse to death. Anyone who hasn't played it yet should.
"Through vigilance and strength, we create peace."

Zynux

Super Metroid

Postby Zynux » 07.16.15 10:04pm

Rainbow Curse may be considered a budget title in similar vein to Captain Toad. It's seems to be a pretty short game and maybe they felt it didn't justify the price.
"Cut! There are no second chances for actors that fall to the abyss. Await your second casting in the darkness forever." - The Night of Wallachia

Xandalf

Gamma Metroid

Postby Xandalf » 07.16.15 10:07pm

I know that most Kirby games are short in general. But the aesthetics of Rainbow Curse were awesome, and as a clay hobbyist the clay looks very realistic. I consider graphics lower priority than gameplay and such, though.

Anyway I might get Super Star Ultra if it comes on the Virtual Console or something. It looks good.

Luminoth Prime

Omega Metroid

Postby Luminoth Prime » 07.16.15 11:06pm

Canvas Curse wasn't short at all, though. It had seven stages, I think, each with three levels. And levels got progressively lengthier and more challenging.

I also beat Triple Deluxe fairly recently, and that was also pretty long. Not to mention there's still all the bonus games and unlockables.

Tim

MDB Staff - Engineer

Postby Tim » 07.17.15 3:54am

If you liked Rainbow Curse then you should check out Canvas Curse, Xandalf. It is much better in my opinion. I was fairly disappointed with Rainbow Curse. It seems to take more inspiration from Epic Yarn, but copies the main idea of Canvas Curse. Whereas Canvas Curse was more inspired by traditional Kirby games. For example you can absorb your enemies' powers in Canvas Curse, but Rainbow Curse leaves the transformation stuff to specific segments of some levels a la Epic Yarn. Also Rainbow Curse levels feel more like a collect-a-thon like Epic Yarn, but I think Epic Yarn managed to make that more fun than Rainbow Curse does.

Also, the original Kirby Super Star for the SNES is on the virtual console as well as Kirby's Adventure for NES which I also recommend.

Xandalf

Gamma Metroid

Postby Xandalf » 07.17.15 9:58am

I'll check out Canvas Curse too, and I'll try to play the other ones. I played demos of Adventure and Dreamland, but obviously I didn't play all of it. There's so many Kirby recommendations. :P

Zynux

Super Metroid

Postby Zynux » 06.14.17 10:17pm

I don't follow Kirby but I hear that the new Kirby showcased a E3 2017 is basically a revival of a cancelled Gamecube game? Also it seems like a lot of Kirby fans still want a true 3D adventure.

Apothem

Postby Apothem » 06.15.17 12:22pm

Funny, 'cuz that's what people were saying of Return to Dreamland on Wii, which this new game looks to be directly iterating on. The cancelled GameCube game was little more than a 3D sidescroller that never got far enough along to have anything truly distinguishing about it. At this point it's a much safer bet that this new game is basically a Return to Dreamland 2 than intentionally aping some formerly cancelled project. Still, more Kirby is always nice, but this is coming about unusually early in a systems lifespan. Kirby normally comes along a bit later. Guess that just means Nintendo is serious about bringing their big guns to bear with Switch. They must be if we're getting not one but two surprise Metroid announcements this year.

I could see Kirby working as a 3D platformer, and am honestly surprised Nintendo / HAL Labs hasn't tried sooner, but with Mario Odyssey basically giving the portly plumber Kirby's signature ability I dunno if we're ever to see such a game any time soon. Who knows, though? Nintendo's been on a kick of re-imagining their franchises of late, so damn near anything's possible.

Luminoth Prime

Omega Metroid

Postby Luminoth Prime » 06.16.17 12:29am

The cancelled GameCube game had you turning enemies into allies, as an expansion of the mechanic from Super Star on the SNES, though these allies were meant to be CPUs or player controlled. Looking at the new Kirby game again, near Kirby's health bar it says "1P," while all the others say "CP," so bet money that it's multiplayer.

It's definitely a revival of the concept, but the GameCube game was scrapped long ago, followed by a few more uniquely different iterations before the team finally landed on Return to Dreamland years later.

Apothem

Return to “%s” General Nintendo Discussion