What would YOU like from a Wii U version of Metroid?

For discussion of any information on Nintendo's consoles, games or anything Nintendo-related!
ultraviolet

Metroid

What would YOU like from a Wii U version of Metroid?

Postby ultraviolet » 07.16.13 9:22am

Okay, I don't have a Wii U and probably will never buy one, but I just thought it'd be cool to put the idea out there of what a Wii U version of Metroid could be like. Regardless, if there ever was a Metroid game brought out for the platform, then I would buy it. Other M is why my girlfriend bought me a Wii, and Prime Trilogy was an unexpected and amazing bonus.

I've been playing a lot of games, watching a lot of films and shows about Cyborgs lately and it made me realise that if done properly, machines could be a frightening enemy. First of all, I know a lot of you won't agree with this – I'm a fan of something shocking and frightening. My first scary game was Super Metroid in '98. I wasn't very good at it and the music, eerie atmosphere and tough bosses all made it memorable; to me, there was nothing more scary than being close to death and fighting a boss that seemed impossible to beat (I won't admit how many times I reset the console when fighting Mother Brain at the end). So trying to make Metroid scary when so many of you play it for other reasons will probably just be like 'idiot', so just ignore me if that's you :)

If there were to be a new game for the Wii U, I would hope that it's along the same gameplay ideas as Other M because 2.5D is a pretty cool idea these days. Also, as I said above: I would like something chilling like Super was to me all that time ago. I play a lot of 'scary' games at home – the standards: Resident Evil and Silent Hill for example, and it seems like a bunch of recycled ideas with only the odd jump in surprise. I think that Metroid is scarier without the need to introduce blood and gore – because it is subtle, and that is one thing we in the west aren't that good with; which leads me to a good idea for a new enemy and possible plot start: machines. My sister loves Zombies and stuff and it just seems repetitive and over-used – hell, she has a plan for the 'Zombie Apocalypse'. I for one find that it's done to death. I did become scared playing Prime 2 though when those Troops were confirmed dead and rose – because there was no explanation at the time like 'lol, new virus' or 'hell be full'. Machines on the other hand are unknown, strange and powerful. MB is case in point: I freaked out when I found out that a certain someone wasn't who they claimed to be – I was completely fooled. That could be used to generate tension like in an old game I'm fond of called 'Snatcher' – same principle. Terminator was there first with the infiltrator idea (I think), but still a potentially good idea for a new enemy. For example, most I asked say the Borg are scarier than Zombies. A mecahnical element would introduce a more worthy opponent for Samus, rather than a few lurching 'zombies' or recycling Ridley. We could also do with seeing the consequences of a Metroid attacking a human – I think seeing that would hammer home how frightening they are, because it is not a bloody, drawn-out death, and yet we have never seen it. Just a thought.

I also used to think that an open-world approach would be ideal too, that's changed somewhat. There's such a thing as too much space – and Metroid has always been claustrophobic. Thinking more about it, I would hope for a 50/50 approach where you have to navigate a huge planet but there are facilities or confined areas too. I think of games such as Twilight Princess and a moment in Other M where Samus arms herself and walks into the cage-like booth. Metroid has also always been open-world – Super for example. How would that work in 3D? That's why I thought of 2.5D – the approach to the facility in Sector 2 still amazes me, a facility set into the rock (alright, holograms) that led to my favourite part of Other M. Trickery goes a long way.

So yeah, it could be scary and brilliant without becoming “Metal Gear 'troid” or “Metroid Hill”. Who needs an 18 age rating to get a scare? Elements of Metroid will always be more frightening to me than anything else I have played. If anyone involved in these games ever reads this, I'd be grateful if you kept this in mind. In any case – I'd buy a Wii U if Metroid were on it and I know I'm not alone in saying so.

My spelling and grammar are probably off. Sorry, it's hotter than Norfair here so I think my brains are melting through my eyes x_x

Over to you, Metroid Database :coffee:
Gigantic, overwhelmingly powerful, impossible to beat villain? I think everyone but Samus Aran would just run.

samusfan

Alpha Metroid

Re: What would YOU like from a Wii U version of Metroid?

Postby samusfan » 07.17.13 12:10am

A planet scenary again would be cool(Grass,Water,Ice,Caves,Lava Stages),A speed booster upgrade like before, that you were free to use it in almost all places,the option to turn on or off beams(do not need to have this for abilities),and better soundtracks than Other M have
If i was in Metroid universe, i would marry Samus,and if i could choose an ability,Speed Booster would be mine.Finally i got all ending pictures,Metroid Fusion JP Version Completed

ultraviolet

Metroid

Postby ultraviolet » 07.17.13 3:33pm

You know, that's a good point I hadn't thought about: the ability to activate and deactivate weaponry - that was a lot of fun on Super, where'd that go anyway? It was a genius idea. The other thing that would make a welcome return for me should be the Gravity Suit - the actual metal suit. The glowing purple thing never really stuck with me - different colours were genius.

Good point about the music too - there's a lot of recycling in them I notice. Like the themes on the first games were 'our lot' and they've been remixed and adjusted ever since; something new would be nice. Prime did it better, but still kind of repetitive. I thought Solar Fields was amazing on Mirror's Edge - he'd be my choice of composer. Metroid is a huge title, it should have an equally magical score. Though I listened to 101% run and thought many artists featured on that also did a bang-up job. I admit even though it's a remix, I enjoyed the Phendrana theme most – Prime should be hacked to play that instead of the default.

A speed-booster is a total must though, I remember almost vomiting rainbows when I first saw that on Super, thought my eyes would burst when I first figured out how to Shinespark. That was genius on Other M too, but didn’t quite have the same range. Glad it didn’t cause damage though.

A real planet would be a great feature – colonies are great and all but we have the technology to use more than one setting, a grander scale. Prime did a pirate frigate and a planet, Hunters had other planets (though ‘Hunters’ is not at all a favourite of mine), Prime 3 was similar to Hunters but blew it away in so many respects. Other M and Fusion were more cinematic – but too confined. That’s why I think Team Ninja/Nintendo/Retro should blend all the good and create something amazing. Even if I’ll never get to play Other M as a Virtual Reality title (no holodecks IRL), I’d be perfectly happy with a title that would take an age to explore and unravel. Prime’s mystery and beauty with Other M’s gameplay and dark cinematics.

To be honest – I would like to see Other M-2, but without the ‘Where’s Waldo’ scenes and not forgetting the Deleter plot, or whatever that would be next time round. A direct sequel to Fusion is long overdue – about 10 years is long enough to delay the story and add interquels and prequels. I did also enjoy the missing remainder of the Deleter plot because it got me thinking, but all those theories of mine and I’ll never have closure.
Anyhow… Jessica Martin IS Samus Aran. Don’t change that – despite the fact that she was written dialogue in the style of Max Payne (and it worked for me in a way), a bit of emotion wouldn’t take away from her character. I enjoy the game more knowing she’s as human as the rest of us, and mature enough not to take the power of the Power Suit for granted; or to go mad and kill ALL the things.

Sorry, I do go on a bit :wink:
Gigantic, overwhelmingly powerful, impossible to beat villain? I think everyone but Samus Aran would just run.

samusfan

Alpha Metroid

Postby samusfan » 07.18.13 4:38am

A speed-booster is a total must though, I remember almost vomiting rainbows when I first saw that on Super, thought my eyes would burst when I first figured out how to Shinespark. That was genius on Other M too, but didn’t quite have the same range. Glad it didn’t cause damage though.
I understand this,when i got speed booster first in my life playing Super Metroid,I thought,now i can reach any place(later on i noticed that was not so much so),but still today it's my favorite ability
A direct sequel to Fusion is long overdue – about 10 years is long enough to delay the story and add interquels and prequels.
Are you referring to 10 years of history? or 10 years for making a sequel?

Because in some places I hear that from super metroid to fusion it pass 10 years, but the timeline here says that pass 2 +/-.
If i was in Metroid universe, i would marry Samus,and if i could choose an ability,Speed Booster would be mine.Finally i got all ending pictures,Metroid Fusion JP Version Completed

ultraviolet

Metroid

Postby ultraviolet » 07.18.13 6:40am

I meant ten years in real life. There has been a lot of delay in continuing the series in a linear fashion - when I first heard of Other M, I thought it would be Metroid 5, but then I saw Adam and the ending to Super so I realised it was only Metroid 3.5. I loved Other M, and I rant about it here elsewhere enough - but I would have been happier to see what happened next.

Then the rumours about Metroid Dread. So many games, all over the place in the series' timeline. But they surely cannot just end it with Fusion. It's a shame, I think it's a wonderful series but it's almost as if even Nintendo don't really care for it or take it seriously. The recent games were developed by others such as Tecmo/Retro, the original games were arguably the best, and they were pure, homegrown Nintendo. Sales or otherwise, it's a cult classic and if they build it, we would come. I think many more love Metroid than Nintendo knows. If the Wii U has some kick to it, Metroid could be the title people remember when the console disappears in a few years. Games such as Mario and Zelda are great and all, but done to death where Metroid may only have a handful of titles, but each one is a gem. Even a 2D continuation in the spirit of the first four would not go amiss. Super and Fusion remain my personal favourites over Other M (believe it or not). A HD version of a 2D game would be wonderful, like the Super Metroid HD mock-ups - it would be an instant classic. I'd prefer 2.5D, but the first four were always 2D - I'd be okay with that carrying on as a tradition. :awesome:

samusfan

Alpha Metroid

Postby samusfan » 07.18.13 5:16pm

I love Other M too,my second favorite to be honest.My first is Super Metroid,and i want a sequel(the real metroid 5),I don't want to believe that the series finished in fusion,I hope Nintendo never finish the series,but go forward from here on with metroid 5, 6, 7, 8..... and more

Spencer

Metroid

Postby Spencer » 07.18.13 8:07pm

I love Other M too,my second favorite to be honest.My first is Super Metroid,and i want a sequel(the real metroid 5),I don't want to believe that the series finished in fusion,I hope Nintendo never finish the series,but go forward from here on with metroid 5, 6, 7, 8..... and more
Well, they haven't with Zelda. Chances are if we get a game, it's going to take place somewhere in the middle of something.
wordls bigest meotrid fan

Xerkxes

Metroid Queen

Postby Xerkxes » 07.19.13 10:48pm

Not necessarily has to be a Wii U game.. but the additional buttons will go the mile.

maybe some Zelda-esq Items and styled game mechanics.

Like.. maybe a reflector shield that operates under the same principles as the Mirror shield?
like it projects from the orb imbedded in her hand and can reflect most projectiles and creates a transperant energy shield that acts like a normal shield. additonal upgrades might include the size, so that maybe she has to walk through constant streams of stuff that might cause damage and the shield lets her slowly walk through if she gets the size increase to cover her whole body. and it be something like in a standard Zelda game "Hold R to raise shield"

or a magnetic glove, inspired somehwhat by the magnet glove from Oracle of Searsons, this item allows Samus' hand to adhere to surfaces.
remember how in Other M Samus would slide down walls? how about moving platform puzzles where you can't cross them without being able to adhere yourself to the platform? alternitively it can be used with the Spacejump during battle to keep high up and attack without having to drop down. another purpose it could have is too "Pull Object" like say having to move a giant block.. but you can't get around back to push (sometimes I never got how Link did it)

or maybe.. if the above item is present, strength increasing items, in the somewhat same premis of the power grip.. since we have things like the speed booster, why not a Strength booster? stun enemies and throw them at eachother, pick up large object and toss them at foes, move large object into required positions to continue in the game, etc.

Maybe something like the Beetle from Skyward Sword that can be controled remotely to a similar extent.

That's all that I can think of off the top of my head for new upgrades.

----
bring back a Dedicated run button, no more of this "Run long enough to activate the booster" thing on the speed booster

bring back scanning.. and use the controler to do it.
free up the screen HUD using the touchscreen for ammo, map, objectives, and maybe even remote device control.

-new environments, like maybe recently abandoned cities (like.. days too months, no more than a year)
-space and Zero G environments (giving Samus some magnetic boots and more practical use out of her back thrusters).
-more underwater environments.

if 2D, this could work for either the 3DS or the Wii U, have "Layers".
in you might press up on a whole in the wall and enter it. this could lead to whole news means of exploration, on the 3DS could give for some wonderful 3D effects, and even make some more interesting boss battles as you dart in and out of side passages to get behind maybe a rather large boss.
or even firing into the background (or forground if layering is used) using the touchscreen of either the 3DS or WiiU controler.
Xerkxes: "Makes you wonder why Samus just didn't take one of the Crystals with her, and constantly charge it with the light beam while using it as a God damned +5 Brilliant Energy Spear of Smite-Ing "

Shade Nightclaw

Zeta Metroid

Postby Shade Nightclaw » 07.28.13 1:59am

i think the ability to activate/deactive weapons and whatnot was taken out due to all the sequence breaking , i mean sure its fun but it kinda makes getting certain items in an order for certain bosses pointless...also it seemed to make a massive amount of glitches happen.

Xerkxes

Metroid Queen

Postby Xerkxes » 07.28.13 7:08pm

i think the ability to activate/deactive weapons and whatnot was taken out due to all the sequence breaking , i mean sure its fun but it kinda makes getting certain items in an order for certain bosses pointless...also it seemed to make a massive amount of glitches happen.
I think that it was only due too the plasma beam and spazer beam not being allowed both on at the same time... and us forcing to anyway that's causing the glitches, not so much the ability to turn on/off itself.

I think it was honestly removed just because of the notion "Why would you?" I think it's only super metroid where I'd turn off the high jump too active get through a room with a low damaging ceiling... every game after that there's not real point in turning off your upgrades unless you were aiming to deliberately hinder yourself.
Xerkxes: "Makes you wonder why Samus just didn't take one of the Crystals with her, and constantly charge it with the light beam while using it as a God damned +5 Brilliant Energy Spear of Smite-Ing "

Shade Nightclaw

Zeta Metroid

Postby Shade Nightclaw » 07.29.13 1:47am

I think that it was only due too the plasma beam and spazer beam not being allowed both on at the same time... and us forcing to anyway that's causing the glitches, not so much the ability to turn on/off itself.

I think it was honestly removed just because of the notion "Why would you?" I think it's only super metroid where I'd turn off the high jump too active get through a room with a low damaging ceiling... every game after that there's not real point in turning off your upgrades unless you were aiming to deliberately hinder yourself.
yeah i realized that after i went to bed but was to lazy to edit my post, aside from the massive glitching epsiodes, it was probably uneccessary to have the ability to turn things off...besides in most of the prime games you could do that with the beams because it was actually made neccessary (could never spell that word..).

Xerkxes

Metroid Queen

Postby Xerkxes » 07.29.13 7:02pm

yeah i realized that after i went to bed but was to lazy to edit my post, aside from the massive glitching epsiodes, it was probably uneccessary to have the ability to turn things off...besides in most of the prime games you could do that with the beams because it was actually made neccessary (could never spell that word..).
Well... the primes were a bit different.

Prime 1 the beams were elemental and had different purposes... but a bit moreso.. unlike previous metroid games the plasma beam is heat based, which logically wouldn't interact well with the ice beam, and if it wasn't for the Chozo Ghosts the power beam wouldn't actually have a purpose.

Prime three they went backed to "Stacked beams", bypassing the first games issue with Ice missiles.

I wouldn't mind if the item switchboard fuction returned, but i doubt they will since pause menus slow down gameplay and developers have been trying to avoid that for the past long while.. and unless they change it up a little and require you to turn things off at sections.

BurgerTrooper

Mochtroid

Postby BurgerTrooper » 09.06.13 11:49pm

And here's a perfect subject for my very first post. Let's see...

First, I think Nintendo should stop with all that obsession for exclusivity and start making a Metroid game from a common FPS base - I repeat: base -, but adding many intuitive combat systems and new elements to Samus' arsenal, such as a possible bigger variety of beams (not too much) and secondary weapons (with that I mean things like the hyper bomb, the super missile, etc), and also the ability to use that computer-thing from Samus' cannon to solve puzzles (something like Batman's Cryptographic Sequencer on Arkham Asylum) and execute other tasks, like locating and "calling" her ship in specified areas. The game scenario would be just like Prime's concept: a mix between open exploration and linear (narrow) maps with a lot of backtracking - but this time, it would be a massive world, divided in multiple planets (is 5 enough?). Also, we haven't played enough with Samus' ship, so I'd like to see "transition missions" (like those StarFox Adventure sections where you fly an Arwing as a secondary task - but this time it's supposed to be good), which you have to accomplish to get to a new planet (you can just skip it after the first time) or go from a location to another. Those would count with Space Pirate attacks and stuff like that. Some things I wouldn't like to see would be an excess of innovation, which could probably ruin the game, since Metroid has core gamers as a target, and core gamers don't like too much innovations. Touch screen controls and the usage of the GamePad as a scanner are cool, and so is the usage of the Wii Remote to aim, but things like exaggerated motion controls (panorama thingies, usage of G-sensor and stuff) would make the game a little less attractive. Off-TV play would be amazing, too. By the way, yes, I want Nintendo to make this game with Retro. Nothing more, nothing less.

About the story, I think they should make a regular story: something more than Metroid Prime and a lot less complex than Other M, still having most of the backstory told by lores, not cutscenes. I can't tell you what I think, because writing a story would ruin the concept of "what would you like to see in a game?". I'll just say I'd like something that gives that MP2 feel, but with more participants on the story (but, yes, in most areas you are alone). About the voice acting, I think they should return to the Metroid Prime 3 way to voice characters: give everyone a voice, except Samus (she can actually talk about relevant things with others on some cutscenes, but please forget about that cheesy narration from Other M that ruined all the immersion). Also, you obviously don't need to go on a cutscene to talk to anyone: they should just use the NPC method from Prime and Halo. It's more immersive, trust me. Also, the atmosphere should count with a mix of adventure and horror - but horror like Ravenholm (from HL²), not something like Dead Space, or even Doom. A good mix of indoor environments and outdoor exploration would be outstanding.

Lastly, the graphics. I think Nintendo should make something with just a bit more detail than when we've seen in Metroid Prime - and with more defined colors, but not those kiddie ketchup/mustard tones we saw on Samus' armor in Other M. Something pretty, yet adult and balanced (because MPT was kinda dry, and Other M was a mess). Also, Nintendo shouls talk with third parties to learn how to make a game with highly detailed graphics and to manage HD art style with perfection (and also use a really good engine), since we can truly say Nintendo's a "noob" on HD, HQ graphics since the Wii. It's true, right? And talking about graphic style, I think they should keep Samus' visual on Metroid Prime 3. Other M's suit may look more defined and solid, but it's not intimidating, unlike what we see on Trilogy.

...also, a co-op online multiplyer mode with custom GF Troopers wouldn't be half bad.
I hope you like my ideas.
:cool:

crazyal02

Metroid

Postby crazyal02 » 09.07.13 9:57pm

I'd say either what BurgerTrooper said or a 2.5D Metroid game. With real-time map on the Gamepad.
Elephants capable of conquering earth? Vampire monkeys and crocodiles that shoot lasers out of their eyes? I think you've just created the most awesome post in the history of forever.

ultraviolet

Metroid

Postby ultraviolet » 09.14.13 7:56pm

I know it's been a while since I was on here and contributed anything exept my whole "OMG I love Other M" rants, but I think we have some things here that show us fans have our feet on the ground. It's funny, but even after all this time, I've heard nothing about the Wii U or even any plans to bring Metroid to it - not even a whisper - that bothers me. I reckon the only thing I would get one for now is RE:Revelations (been there done that for PS3).

Still, that may be a little negative: something may be cooking and it just isn't ready yet. If it were up to me though, there would be a new one every year or so - I was hoping Other M would bring some more interest in the series and I just see tumbleweed now.

But yeah, we don't need any new FPS Metroid (as much as I adore Prime), Metroid has always been about exploration and I'd die inside if it became 'Call of Metroid' or something, though I'd still like it to be scary. I personally don't see why a new game couldn't be 2.5D or even 2D - I think we all enjoy a game because it's well-written and plays well too - not for high-def graphics and jiggle physics (though they're fun too) and many new games lose sight of that. For example - all the people who can't enjoy Prime or Other M (if any) but who would say they love the originals - an old friend of mine was like that. I look forward to visual novel games on Linux and they have a text box and a slightly-traumatised AI sidekick, but it's still good. Imagination contributed a lot to these games and I'd hope (pray actually) that if ever a new one surfaces, that the gravity suit it metal again, and that it could have a unique atmosphere and a COMPLETELY new soundtrack - I tend to forget any music in the series that aren't Metroid, Metroid II, Super and Fusion; the rest feel 'recycled', you know?

[EDIT] - Yeah, I cut two paragraphs here... :D

I liked these parts in these games, there's more but you get the idea - aspects that could be revisited for '5'.

Metroid: Sammy's original power ups (but Long-Beam as standard, please).
Metroid II: Sequential Exploration, Alternate Metroid Forms (Other M did the queen magnificently).
Super: Everything (my first so I'm biased).
Fusion: The feeling that you were being hunted, pure tension, a new and frightening concept for an enemy - 'X'.
Prime: The sheer beauty of the landscapes and subtle details like rain. The Frigate opening.
Prime 2: Not much I'm afraid, not my favourite. Dark Samus being a frightening and twistedly insane and unpredictable enemy (but unfortunately didn't do much). The sheen added to Sammy's Varia Suit (the Dark and Light suits did nothing for me).
Prime 3: Norion, the Olympus - Sammy's gradual infection worsening gave me a drive to end Phazon once and for all.
Hunters: I actually like the idea of the game - my main problem is the other hunters, who seem to have Samus's powers instead of anything original. The atmosphere was perfect, the lore, the hints about the terrible Gorea being an ancient and unresolved threat, the mysterious telekinetic message. Other worlds. Like I said - apart from the copypasta hunters, it's good.
Other M: I LOVED how Sammy moved on this one - like lightning. If only we had the flexibility of control we saw given to Raiden... Sammy's voice: a voice you could fall in love with in my opinion. The sheer brutality of forcing a charged shot down Ridley's throat. The Deleter. The Hyper Beam sequence at the beginning and end. The abused, but now insane AI. The 2.5D perspective. The fact that Samus was given a soul and could be as frightened, upset or happy as the rest of us went a long way. That smile at the end.

Now the things I wouldn't be bothered about being reused:

Metroid: The beam was too short in the beginning - frustrating.
Metroid II: Just the sound of energy being low grated on me.
Super: Timers.
Fusion: Timers. Ridley again. Fusion Suit. Making fair Sammy a fugitive.
Prime: Beautiful enough, but the outdoors were too cramped to be believable as a world (but considering the hardware, that couldn't be helped I guess).
Prime 2: Dark World - didn't like the idea in 'Link to the Past', don't like it more now it hurts to be there at all. Boost Guardian, Spider Guardian ('Cube version).
Prime 3: Ridley again (though it was kind of awesome at the start of the game). Phaaze.
Hunters: The Hunters (I get why they were needed though so I can look past that).
Other M: RIDLEY. AUTHORISATION (again, needed so I look past it). Adam (cough). The 'Where's Waldo' sequences. The Deleter story slipping away - at the time I thought it could be picked up in a sequel, but...

Damn, that's an essay there - maybe next time, I'll just write a list. I don't sleep so I have nothing better to do - already 1:54am... Over and out. x_x

Return to “%s” General Nintendo Discussion