Mario Kart 8

For discussion of any information on Nintendo's consoles, games or anything Nintendo-related!
The Worm

Alpha Metroid

Mario Kart 8

Postby The Worm » 06.04.14 5:12pm

What is up with this AWFUL Mario Kart 8 roster? It is just garbage!

BABY ROSALINA? She's never appeared in a game!
Baby Daisy again!? What's up with all the lolies?
Koopalings? Nobody even likes them!
Metal Mario and Pink Gold Peach!? who the fuck cares?

Where's Diddy Kong and Bowser Jr., series staples? Where's Birdo and King Boo?

Sorry if there's already a thread about this.
Image I may be a leviathan, but I'm also a Metroid Construction worker!

Zynux

Super Metroid

Re: Mario Kart 8

Postby Zynux » 06.04.14 8:13pm

There was some discussion in some Wii U threads and the like, but IIRC not an official thread for it (unless there is a general Mario Kart thread lying around somewhere).

For me, Mario Kart 8's core gameplay I find to be the best in the series, if only because it rewards speed and momentum. I also find the track designs, overall, to be pretty good to with some stinkers (the new Bowser's Castle and Rainbow Road I don't find impressive at all). The main plus of the tracks in this game is that they offer far more freedom in path taking then ever before. Underwater, air, and Anti-gravity themselves offer little to nothing, but when together they can offer some really dynamic tracks.

Up to 2-players, game runs super smooth 60fps 1080 (upscaled though). Game runs super fine, never had any noticeable weirdness (sans some online lagging). Unfortunately 4-player splitscreen is cut to 30fps.

As most people won't stop talking about, the game overall looks very good. There are some slight missteps (the lava in Grumble Volcano is hilariously bad, it's like they didn't bother upgrading it and left it like it was on the 3DS) but overall the graphics and attention to detail are spot on.

Soundtrack is very solid. No problems here. Voice acting and sounds seem to be good too.

Online mode is very chaotic, hectic, fun, and competitive. Some lag issues here and there (though this is probably because I play at night, so I'm usually matched up with European and Japanese people instead of Americans)

With that said, this game is not without it's problems. First thing as you mentioned, the roster is pretty laughable. I was contemplating what I was doing with my life when I unlocked a mii (yes, you actually have to unlock a mii, and yes it takes slot on the roster. The game system and mechanics felt a need to reward your work and playing time with a damn Mii. I wish I was making this up). 7 koopalings, 5 babies, and 2 "metal" (AKA re-textured Mario/Peach models) is a sure sign that they had to cut corners hard for this title. There's no way someone could not convince me at this point (especially after seeing battle mode) that this roster or game isn't padded to some extent.

Another thing is the item system...which I still feel doesn't work all that well. Items are really strong in this game, just a couple of well placed green shells can completely screw you over. Blue spiny shells and stars are barely a threat anymore; just pray to God that the opponent behind doesn't have 3 red shells, if they do then GG. Also, prepare to get butthurt when you only get the Coin item below 3rd place: it will happen more often then you would like. The fact that they got rid of the Fake item box for the damn coin (especially when there are coins all over the map, and they respawn) is baffling.

For fans of Battle Mode, it's overall pretty horrible unless there are a lot of people (like, 12 people rofl) otherwise it's garbage, and more cutting corners. To make matters worse, those who die in the Balloon mode don't disappear: they stay in the fight as invisible ghosts that can still attack players. And yes, by invisible, I mean actually invisibile. As in, you can't see one pixel of them. So prepare for the countless amount of times that you get KO'd from someone that you couldn't even see.

Options are nonexistent. Want to change your sound options? Think the sound effects are too loud? Too bad, deal with it. Don't like Vertical 2-player splitscreen? Want Horizontal 2-player splitscreen? lol, what do you think this is? I'm not exaggerating when I'm saying there are no basic system options in this game. No sound options, no music options, no screen options, nothing. Not even bare minimal.

Mario Kart 8 is a good game, but I can't help but feel that some parts of it was rushed. The core gameplay is very good, but the game could have offered so much more IMO.

Also, MKTV, while a useless service to me, is correct to exist for this reason only

The year of Luigi hasn't ended,
it has only just begun.
"Cut! There are no second chances for actors that fall to the abyss. Await your second casting in the darkness forever." - The Night of Wallachia

Ridley prepping his body for Other M

Xerkxes

Metroid Queen

Postby Xerkxes » 06.08.14 12:00am

I'm definitely feeling the items pains.

Though, Lightning bolt screws me over more than anything.
Xerkxes: "Makes you wonder why Samus just didn't take one of the Crystals with her, and constantly charge it with the light beam while using it as a God damned +5 Brilliant Energy Spear of Smite-Ing "

Chris

Kraid

Postby Chris » 06.08.14 11:55am

I played this at my mates last night, battle mode is a complete fail, it's played on tracks rather than arenas which makes it hard to find players, you can end up with players just circling around not seeing anyone else, also makes avoiding players too easy, if you are down to two players and the other is on other side of track then you can just drive in same direction as they are and they won't stand a chance to get you. Knowing this sort of thing could happen they've had to put a time limit on.

The racing is better though but I'm getting pretty sick of seeing remade tracks now, they should be bonus tracks if they insist on using them not a replacement for original content. The whole game seems like they've cut corners where ever possible.

Zynux

Super Metroid

Postby Zynux » 06.08.14 8:23pm

The racing is better though but I'm getting pretty sick of seeing remade tracks now, they should be bonus tracks if they insist on using them not a replacement for original content
I remember how exciting and awesome it was in Mario Kart DS when the Retro tracks really became a thing (to be fair, it was in Super Circuit as well, but only Super Mario Kart tracks). But afterwards? Yeah, it's starting to get pretty tiresome. To the game's credit though, these Retro tracks really are remastered and at some part feel like new tracks (like the N64 Rainbow Road).
The whole game seems like they've cut corners where ever possible.
Very glad I'm not the only one that noticed this. The lack of options, the roster, battle mode, all point to this pretty clearly, as I've stated in my previous posts about the game. I shouldn't be surprised, but am still disappointed how many fans and critics just gloss over this fact. Especially for a $60 game.
I'm definitely feeling the items pains.

Though, Lightning bolt screws me over more than anything.
I don't remember ever getting a Lightning bolt, yet I get hit with it constantly. Damn RNG. :P
"Cut! There are no second chances for actors that fall to the abyss. Await your second casting in the darkness forever." - The Night of Wallachia

Xerkxes

Metroid Queen

Postby Xerkxes » 06.08.14 9:43pm

The whole game seems like they've cut corners where ever possible.
Very glad I'm not the only one that noticed this. The lack of options, the roster, battle mode, all point to this pretty clearly, as I've stated in my previous posts about the game. I shouldn't be surprised, but am still disappointed how many fans and critics just gloss over this fact. Especially for a $60 game.
I didn't play Mario Kart 7, is the roster smaller this time?
I'd describe this Roster as... poor choice.

I haven't tried battlemode yet, it's really just the racing maps? Isn't that a dumb idea because a lot of them are one-way tracks? or are they modified so that you could at least backtrack?

I don't remember ever getting a Lightning bolt, yet I get hit with it constantly. Damn RNG. :P
I hate the thing.
Can't be blocked, can't be dodged, gets rid of your items, takes coins, stops you and slows you down for a short period.
Ill timed ones, no doubtly deliberately done by the AI, cost you even more time by stopping you before or during jumps.
And I can't go a match withing getting bolted 2-4 times.

I honestly don't get why people are more afraid of the Blue Shell then the Lightning Bolt.

I've played through the game on everything except Star Cup on 150CC.
Haven't got a Star, Lightning Bolt, Blue Shell, the "8" Item. Even when being butt-raped to last place and struggling to game back the ranks.
Xerkxes: "Makes you wonder why Samus just didn't take one of the Crystals with her, and constantly charge it with the light beam while using it as a God damned +5 Brilliant Energy Spear of Smite-Ing "

VGMStudios

Ridley

Postby VGMStudios » 06.08.14 10:07pm

Who the hell cares about bowser jr. I hate that guy.
The koopalings are tons better.
Boo, birdo? Seriously?
Is waluigi even in it?

Granted the babies are annoying.

then again its fzero with karts. Haha.

Vgm out...
Super Metroid, the most perfect game ever created! Period!

Xerkxes

Metroid Queen

Postby Xerkxes » 06.09.14 1:04am

I think the lesser problem with the game is the Roster.
It's still a big amount of choice (and am still amused with racing against my brother, who uses his Zoidberg Mii), even if the Koopa kids and babies feel like padding.

I'm with Zynux, the game is corner-less.

Zynux

Super Metroid

Postby Zynux » 06.09.14 4:19pm

I didn't play Mario Kart 7, is the roster smaller this time?
Mario Kart 7 had 17 racers, so it was a decent amount. Mario Kart 7 had some real stinkers too (Metal Mario, Wiggler [debatable], Queen Bee, lakitu [debatable]) and they excluded Waluigi, but in comparison to Mario Kart 8 it seemed like they struck gold. Also, Mario Kart 7 had no babies, which to me is a huge plus.
Who the hell cares about bowser jr. I hate that guy.
The koopalings are tons better.
Boo, birdo? Seriously?
Is waluigi even in it?

Granted the babies are annoying.

then again its fzero with karts. Haha.

Vgm out...
I actually prefer the Koopalings too, but when they were first announced I was like "Wow, the Koopalings! That's cool. But this is Nintendo, I bet you that every single Koopaling is going to take a slot on the roster" and sure enough that's what happened.

Boo/King Boo, Birdo, Dry Bones, Diddy Kong, all MIA. Waluigi is in though, correcting their past mistakes. I am well aware of the problem that persists Waluigi, and how he was practically a doomed character by conception (and will always be in Wario's shadow), hell I could probably write an essay on all the problems of Waluigi as a character (even though I don't mind him personally, compared to his overwhelming negative reception by the press) but Waluigi getting scrapped for Queen Bee...? That was just such an asinine design choice.

VGMStudios

Ridley

Postby VGMStudios » 06.10.14 12:59pm

How many Mario Kart games was Diddy Kong in?

Every time I hear his name for MK, I tend to think Diddy Kong Racing...

Speaking of Luigi's evil twin, I think there is a "Did you know gaming" video on him.

VGM out...
Super Metroid, the most perfect game ever created! Period!

Zynux

Super Metroid

Postby Zynux » 06.10.14 4:15pm

Mario Kart DD and Wii had Diddy Kong playable, I believe.

Zynux

Super Metroid

Postby Zynux » 10.22.14 4:43pm

Yoshi Circuit from Double Dash, AKA the most boring and uninspired course in Double Dash, will make an appearance as Mario Kart 8 DLC.

Since the course was so boring in Double Dash, I wonder how they'll spice it up for MK8.

EDIT:

Nevermind, watched the video. Course looks just as boring as before. Ah well, maybe it'll be more fun and play better on MK8's engine.

Zynux

Super Metroid

Postby Zynux » 10.28.14 7:00pm

Excitebike Track trailer.

I first I thought it looked boring but the more I watched it the more it looks like an improved Baby Park.

My only gripe is that the track may be randomized. Could be awesome or terrible. We'll see.

Xerkxes

Metroid Queen

Postby Xerkxes » 10.28.14 11:48pm

I heard somewhere it's randomized during multiplayer and grand prix, but has a static layout for time-trial.

Zynux

Super Metroid

Postby Zynux » 10.29.14 4:46pm

I heard that too. Was that an official statement from Nintendo?

Also, the track isn't truly randomly generated, but the track randomly picks pre-made assets in certain sections of the track. You can see in the track itself is separated into "sections" that will be switched.

Return to “%s” General Nintendo Discussion